Find
Notify
Tools

foam wads Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have the foam window backing 1/2 inch
got cast bullet. and IMR 3031
to the bottom of the bullet ( 550 gr ) I put 64 gr.
let say I go dow to 55 gr of 3031 there will be a space about 1/2 to the bottom of the bullet
my question is how long should I cut the wad and to have compression on it or do I cut 1/2 inch just to fill the empty space
want to know the correct way to do this
with any other king of bullets also
the caliber is 458 Winchester Magnum
thank you

Posts: 121 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Compress the foam rod a fair amount. Test that length for your self at the loading bench. Start with a 1/2” sticking out of the case as you start to seat the bullet. Depending on how much actual room you have from powder load to base of seated bullet will decide it. Use a dowel to test seating not a bullet. When it feels like it’s compressing a fair bit, use that length and load away.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the 1/2" stick of foam. it need not be tight just lightly snug..5 grs. of pillow material works well, or you can order pre cut wadding from some of the gun suppliers..I bought mine every year at gun shows or hunting shows,they came out of London..I can't find that data but I'll keep looking.

Just be sure whatever you use doesn't melt on firing..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever use earplugs for wadding?

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I would burn one of those ear plugs to see what the residue is like first.
No reason they wouldn't work if they burn clean.

I use backer rod for many of my NfB loads.
The 1/2" diameter foam fits so snugly in a .458WM case that you don't need to compress it.
I started cutting mine to the bottom of the bullet with no compression but have also simply cut the foam even with the case mouth and allow the bullet to compress it a bit.
I've not noticed a difference either way although the precut method must inherently be more precise.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use foam backer rods; do NOT compress them; the point is to fill up the air space but not to create an obstruction. Make them just fit so they won't move, like 1/8ths inch long.
Ear plugs; NO. Way too stiff. Back in the old days we used to use Kapok; look it up. And other things like corn meal (bad idea); etc; a friend ringed a chamber on the first shot on a brand new .405 I built him, using compressed powdered plastic; forgot the name of it.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, you don’t see kapok much any longer. I’d guess a lot of younger loaders never heard of it. Got a gallon ziplock bag of it that I saved from an old life vest.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just use Kynoch foam wads now. They get compressed a bit but bugger all residue. They are also supposed to be inert so not interacting with powder over time.

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
It seems there is some different ideas on compressing foam rods. I use tamped down Dacron myself but foam rods are easier and more repeatable. On compression; they get compressed pretty good from the 28000+ gas column behind them and the 485 grain billet in front of them so... I figure compressing them a bit to make sure all the powder stays where it belongs is a good idea. It’s all an area of experimental testing of theory so up to you to decide.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To say a caulking backer foam wad will cause a bore obstruction in a straight-walled .458 WM if it is compressed more than an eighth of an inch, has me puzzled.
They weigh almost nothing, burn up at the touch of a match, leave almost no residue, do not foul a barrel.
I like to use the 1/2" diameter rod and compress it to about half its noncompressed height,
but have used them compressed to a quarter height,
with good results.

If you had good results with 100% LR/net fill with IMR-3031,
You will have to use compressed H4895 to equal that.
If you want a reduced load compared to your IMR-3031 load,
try H4895 with no filler and 85% to 100% Loading ratio/net fill.
Works pretty good on 400-to 600-grain jacketed bullets.
I am going to try that with cast bullets too.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I use either the backer rod or cut plugs myself from foam that came out of a pelican case,I have loaded a lot of NE calibers,I always compress about 1/4",never a problem.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
When people use the term "compress" I envision that they are compressing the fillers into a solid mass. That will reduce the case capacity and form an obstruction. As I said, a chamber got ringed from doing that.
If you mean "compress" some just so it is not loose, then that is what I always do.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Anyone ever use earplugs for wadding?

Maybe I'm a bit eccentric, but I use a pair of 19 year old Japanese twins for for both earplugs and wadding. (I'm pretty sure they are 19)

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I have used baking rod foam wads in loads for 8x57 up to 700NE. I buy it through Amazon in 100 foot coils, ranging in sizes of: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" 3/4", and 1". I cut it about 1/4" longer that the space from the top of the powder, to the bottom of the bullet. I have found that exact length is not that important. I have never has any negative issues in over 3000 rounds fired with various powders, consisting of: IMR4198, IMR4227, IMR4895, IMR3031, IMR4831, H4831, AR5744, RL15, RL17, RL19.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve never needed to use a filler but am about to start loading for my 505. Any problems using backer foam in a bottleneck cartridge? Would Dacron be better?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a bag of pillow filler from Walmart. I've used it in 458 Lott, 416 Rigby, Jeffery whatever. Pretty sure I still have a life time supply and I bought it dang near 20 years ago. Works for me. No telling how many reduced loads round we ran through my Lott shooting water jugs and paper. Years back a lot of us from Houston used to get together and shoot big bores. Foam ear plugs will work too. Lots of different material will work.

Reduced loads in a big bore is when you really want to make sure you have power positioned to ignite.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pillow stuffing called Dacron, 5 grs or whatever but you need not jam it in there I use a new wood pencil and use the flat end to push the Dacron in and it fills to half way up the case neck..When you shoot it you can walk out about 10 yards and it will be a white cylinder that you could reload, but I don't do that..A bag of Dacron will last a life time...All it does is hold the powder in position in the case to be properly ignited..If you can't find a wad after shooting your using the wrong stuff..

I also have used Kynoch wads they are cheap and work real well, You can order them from Kynoch or buy them once a year at SCI booths..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cut wads with a gasket punch out of one inch foam.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote