THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What is the minimum caliber requirement for a wooly mammoth-elephant hybrid trophy???
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the minimum caliber requirement for a wooly mammoth-elephant hybrid trophy??? Login/Join

one of us
posted
Return of the mammoth?

I'd like to begin preparing for this hunt in the future and need to know what everyone believes are the minimum caliber requirements to take this trophy. I'm guessing 600 Overkill at the minimum, but 700 Nitro Express might also be suitable. Would have to be solids of course as I suspect penetration requirements will be on the order of 6-7 feet. Your thoughts Wink

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I will use my current rifle.

375/404 with my own Warthog bullets.

Somehow I don’t think I will be here when they offer this for hunting!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66900 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to re-enact the past, then a dozen friends all armed with stone-tipped spears would be sporting!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
If you really want to re-enact the past, then a dozen friends all armed with stone-tipped spears would be sporting!

May be ask Cal about his hero.

You know, the one who walks up to an almost dead animal with a double barrel 600 NE and gives it the choice of how to die? jumping

Posts: 66900 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:

Yup. That was enough to hunt them to extinction.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Rifles are not allowed in this state, game law specifies you must use an Obsidian Clovis Point, no less than 8 inches long and two inches wide, affixed to a 6 to 8 foot shaft. Hunters must travel in groups of no fewer than 6 and must wear wolf skin kilts. Wheels not allowed. (Not invented yet). Seasons to be announced.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well I was going to recommend a .400 Whelen built on a 1903 Springfield action by dpcd.
That's a very nice Clovis point. But rather than spears, I would recommend launching same with an atlatl.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16346 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The magnificent 458WM with a 450-500 flat point solid, 2150-2350 FPS.
From Sabre tooted Squirrels to Woolly Mammoth. Good to go sir.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The double rifle used in Jurassic Park was a 600NE, so I suppose there's that.

Nahh. If I ever get to go, I'm taking my trusty 35 Whelen.

With Woodleigh 310 gr. solids. Of course.

Now, about the expansion of my trophy room....hmmmmmm.

Posts: 2585 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More research has yielded some additional facts FYI

Interesting facts about mammoths

Tusks could grow 16-18 feet (3.5 meters) in length, generally considered far too long for the average hunter’s trophy room

The wooly mammoth could weigh as much as 18,000 pounds (8000 kg)-therefore an entire village would be required for processing the carcass but it would feed 80-100 people for a month

They are covered in long, almost 3 feet in length, heavy hair-It is estimated that this hair would yield well over 1000 handmade woven hair bracelets

They are also covered in heavy layers of fat for cold weather-therefore the optimum bullet would need to penetrate the fat before expanding in the vitals…Swift A-Frame? Barnes TSX? Woodleigh’s?

Wooly mammoths are known to travel great distances daily and over their life, one was estimated to travel over 43,500 miles (70,000km) in its lifetime-this means that a good tracking hunt will require at least 2-3 pairs of Courtneys

When attacked they are known to be dangerous and will charge-Hunters using stopping rifles must be capable of 4-6 rapid-fire shots in as little as 10-12 seconds

Wink

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunters using stopping rifles must be capable of 4-6 rapid-fire shots in as little as 10-12 seconds

Sounds like a job for a Blaser in 500 Jeffery :-)

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think any elephant caliber would do. The things that need to be considered is anatomy of the head as the reference points for a brain shot may not apply, due to different bone structure. Also the hairy coat needs to be considered for body shots as it may be heavy enough in the northern species to slow bullet penetration as well as hide the body profile make body shots more difficult.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
with a lifespan of 60-80 years, maybe your kids or grandkids will hunt them. They may take 30 years to just get to trophy size. Imagine if they overpopulate and need culling!!!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
Hunters using stopping rifles must be capable of 4-6 rapid-fire shots in as little as 10-12 seconds

When the mammoth sees a Blaser they will die of laughter! clap

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
.50 caliber was the largest bore that ever proved practical for hunting.

I’ll stick with my .500 NE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36473 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/1...h-fossils-males.html

Frontal shot would require a patient & careful shot as with the height of the adults, waiting for dropping the head to get the angle right would require a steady shooter.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I guess I would use a .375 H+H, they have killed everything else that walks this earth.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of developing a new wildcat for all the prehistoric animals that are being studied, for re-introduction.

I understand that Argentinosaurus weighs over 18 tons!

I would like to make sure I can dispatch him with one shot.

I have done the drawings.

I am going to produce a dummy and post it.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Will be watching for this, Saeed!
Are you going to allow some unsuspecting colleague to fire the rifle while you film?
hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16346 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Will be watching for this, Saeed!
Are you going to allow some unsuspecting colleague to fire the rifle while you film?
hilbily

This one is only in development stage.

We don’t have an action big enough to handle it.

Powder capacity is measured in pounds, not grains!

According to my studies, no current primer can ignite all the powder charge.

So I have designed a slot in the base, where a 12 gage brass case can be inserted.

This case will be filled with fast pistol powder to start the ignition.

This is nothing new.

When developing loads for our 700 NE we found that magnum primers were not strong enough.

So we added a few grains of BULLSEYE under the powder charge, and that works perfectly!

Believe me, no Dino is safe from this one!

Also it is designed to shoot within one minute of Tyrannosaurus Rex at 2000 meters.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Elmer threaded tube into a flash hole, put pistol powder in it and brought the flame to the top of the powder stack. He also said he got the idea from Artillery rounds. Sounds like your going down the same trail.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
If ya wanna really go old school...first you need a tar pit.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

Or a CZ in the same caliber Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
atlatl

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38437 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
6.5 Swed 160 RN.

Posts: 6379 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Weellll,since no one mentioned the 45-70 WinkI'll do so,bring on the Woolies archer

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.218 Bee-----shoot them in the nuts and they will commit suicide !!! Big Grin archer Eeker

Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
maybe 12 gauge aluminum wadcutters would make better mammoth nut slappers

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
maybe 12 gauge aluminum wadcutters would make better mammoth nut slappers

Too small.

I am using a full length 3 inch magnum as the priming starter!

And as T. Rex is supposed to be very aggressive, and runs fast, I will design a light weight rifle for our new wildcat.

Single shot to keep the weight down.

I will be looking for volunteers to help me load development.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They told us that would happen when I was in college in the 1980s .I have 4 416 they should work good .I hope they stock them in Alaska .They want to bring back saber tooth tigers too .The muskox1 is one of the few animals they survived and didnt change from the cavemen days in the artic.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just measured the water capacity of our T. Rex Killer!

438.29 cc of water.

Bullet diameter is 1.744"

We will decide on the optimum bullet weight while developing the load.

I will post a dummy today.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
577 T. Rex and 700 NE for comparison.

With a slightly compressed load, the charge is one pound of powder.

Our design will include a built in bipod in the rifle.

You carry it on your shoulders, and as you approach your animal, you drop the bipods, shoulder the rifle, and drop it dead!

The invitation is open to everyone, including the World Famous MARK of A FART!

I would love to see him give T. Rex a choice of how to die! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any chance of a flanged version for use in a double? You know, for the traditionalists out there.

Posts: 521 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by viperidae:
Any chance of a flanged version for use in a double? You know, for the traditionalists out there.

Anyone who wishes to develop a double has our blessings.

I think it might be a tad too heavy.

Our estimate for the single shot is 38 pounds, and that is making everything as light as possible - including the brains of the shooter clap

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Amazing! We don't agree on much in this workshop, but we seem to have a full agreement now.

Someone asked "what about YOUR brains? Dreaming things like this?"

I said "I don't have any"

It seems everyone agrees!

I am blacklisting the lot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good grief!!!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2741 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://www.thevintagenews.com...1/19/fudaraku-tokai/
Spears and arrows!
Old school. You have to wear skins as you hunt too. After the hunt you can club a wife too.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
After the hunt you can club a wife too.

Eeker Eeker rotflmo clap

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Gives new meaning to “Going clubbing”

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would feel confident with my bolt action magazine rifle chambered in .500 A-Square loaded with 570 grain Barnes Banded Solids at 2,500 fps against any creature that now walks or has ever walked the earth.

Some equally well heeled back up would be nice, however, and would not be refused! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote