THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Rem 700 XCR II 375H&H Price/Value Check?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 XCR II 375H&H Price/Value Check? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ran across a used, but in new condition, Rem 700 XCRII 375 H&H for $650. What is such a rifle worth? Not my preferred platform for a 375 of any flavor, but I do generally like 700s.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I paid about that new, but if you want a very light 375 H&H that doesn't kick much and can live with a non-CRF it's a weather resistant, light and accurate rifle. At least mine is.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Buy it. Iirc Remington no longer chambers rifles in 375 h&h. The xcr2 is a great platform. I have an original xcr cut down, stripped sights wearing a McMillan. It's accurate and has killed several truckloads of African game.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big Remington fan but if I saw an XCR II in .375 H&H for that price I'd grab it quick.

I do have one in 7mm Rem mag which I do like quite a bit except for the crappy trigger which got replaced with a Timney. It's light an accurate.

I really don't care for the look of stainless so the dark metal looks good to me. Bottom line is I think you will enjoy it.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the advice!

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Thanks for all of the advice!

They work too! .375 caliber 300g A-Frame

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear!

Well, my wife won’t go for it, and I’m saving for a P365. If someone is interested, the rifle is located at the “Scheels All Sports“, in Johnstown Colorado. I don’t know if they ship guns or not.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Ah well, wive > guns Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What remington calls an extractor is a joke for a DGR. Trigger can not be trusted in dirty environments. Those problems are fixable.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, nice bear.

I had a Remington M700 7mm Rem.Mag. when I was young.
One day at the range, it stopped ejecting fired cartridges.
The little plunger ejector was stuck in its little hole and the little spring would not push it out.
The problem was that the little extractor in the bolt face had been shaving brass off the rims of the cartridges.
Eventually the little brass flakes and powder got into the little ejector and froze it.
Ever since that day, I too have thought little of the Remington M700 as DGR capable, because of its little extractor and little ejector.
Probably why I got rid of that Remington M700 "Safari" .458 WIN, which had a long magazine box.
CRYBABY
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hi Rip, no argument from me about the value of a CRF rifle hunting dangerous game. I do think the Rem 700s were built a lot better 50 years ago. The 270 I gave my son accounted for 9 bears (2 of them mountain grizzlies i had to finish for clients when I guided in Montana and it was still legal to hunt them.) a couple of dozen elk, more deer and two many javelinas to count. It never misfired, or failed to function flawlessly. Some years I would get close to 100 days hunting in with that rifle. So we still have it, and he loves it. Anything with teeth and claws I tend to hunt with my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem XCR in 375 H&H and love it. It is light and does not kick bad. I don't shoot well with a rifle that kicks, so I understand the importance. I have taken whitetail deer up to elephant and you can carry it for miles. You have to use the right bullet,A Frames,Woodleigh solids, but loading them adds to the fun.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
It seems like the XCR stock just soaks up recoil. Shooting factory 375 H&H loads (300g A-Frames) our rifle is a pussycat. With 375 Weatherby ammo, it's a little snappier which is to be expected. So far I've taken one brown bear with it and my son has taken a nice black bear as well.

congrats on your hunts!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Yes, nice bear.

I had a Remington M700 7mm Rem.Mag. when I was young.
One day at the range, it stopped ejecting fired cartridges.
The little plunger ejector was stuck in its little hole and the little spring would not push it out.
The problem was that the little extractor in the bolt face had been shaving brass off the rims of the cartridges.
Eventually the little brass flakes and powder got into the little ejector and froze it.
Ever since that day, I too have thought little of the Remington M700 as DGR capable, because of its little extractor and little ejector.
Probably why I got rid of that Remington M700 "Safari" .458 WIN, which had a long magazine box.
CRYBABY
Rip ...

Ron,

On some of them the exractor sits just a touch low and so the vertical part of the extractor hits the case rim. Some are so low it will be hard to close the bolt. A new extractor does not fix the problem as inside the counterbore is the problem.

No doubt Rem 700s have given Push Feeds a bad name.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
My late 60s BDL in 270 has been flawless. The XCR II in 375 H&H I bought in 2011 for my Brown Bear hunt had issues out of the box. Extractor too large to chamber factory Remington ammunition. When I took it to my gunsmith he showed me a rough chamber as well. So I had install a Sako extractor, rechamber it to 375 Weatherby and weld on the bolt handle to keep the Internet gremlins away. It's been a fine rifle ever since, but none of that should have been necessary on a new rifle.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One can find or point out instances of failures, malfunctions, and generally negative experiences with any rifle or shooting platform. I met an old fella about 15 years ago who had rebarreled a few Rem 700 Senderos to 375 H&H, 416 Rem, and 458 Lott. He topped them with fixed low power scopes and went to Africa several times, with no issues. I’m a Mauser 98, Win model 70 CRF guy, but the 700 has a really good track record for reliably and accuracy. I’ve owned a pile of them with no issues.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I just bought a barely used one in like new condition will be picking it up this weekend.

OD green stock iron sights comes with 60 or so factory ammo and some 300gr Accubond reloads.

I'm not planning on installing a scope right away plan is to use it for camp - wild animal defense when in remote wilderness areas here in BC Canada

When I do install a scope it will be a used Leupold Vari X 111 1.5-5x20mm duplex reticle that I have on the shelf I'll mount it with Leupold QRW bases and rings.

I paid $850.00 Canadian funds which is a good deal considering our dollar is worth $0.70 cent US funds.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
After some initial fixing our XCR II in 375 H&H has been great. I would definitely replace the iron sights with NECG sights which we did, the stock ones are unfortunately junk. The rear sight actually fell apart. The rifle is very light, doesn't recoil hardly at all, is very accurate and pretty weather resistant. We like it a lot. I gave it to my son (bottom picture). We pretty much shoot Remington Premier Safari ammo (300g Swift A-Frames). The bears not so much

Regards,

Chuck