THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    45-70 bullets for elk, moose and grizz
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 bullets for elk, moose and grizz Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's everyones favorite bullets for these animals, including deer and caribou. I handload so thats an option after i finish using up my factory fodder. Ordered 100 for the 400gr speer flat nose softs, figured those at about 1600 or 1700 out of my marlin SBL will suffice for deer and elk for now

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I like the 405 Woodleigh's. They open well but stay together. You should be able to get a little more velocity than where your at now.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in a marlin, at normal length? i guess it'd try barnes buster 400gr bullets ... if they shot well, and had much better performance than factory rem 405gr bullets, i'd give them a try...

i've used rem 405s are WAY over 2500 ... i wouldn't recommend that for 300+# critters

but 1800 or under, mv, they do a great job .. generally speaking, thin skinned critters hit with a .458 tend to let lots of air in, quickly ....

and while a .458 at 1100fps may not expand like a super dooper 300 whizbang ... they won't shrink down to .308 either

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38437 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
400 Speer at 1700-1800 is a good bullet. A 400-450 flat nose cast at 12-15 bhn is great too.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a 18.5" barrel i believe. And i have no use for a super fast bullet in the brush where i hunt. Picked up the 400gr speer because they were 100 for 50 vs the woodleighs at 50 for 50. May still switch to the woodleighs when i get back to alaska though. But for blacktail and elk i feel the speers should work fine if not pushed too fast. The factory rem 405gr at "1300fps" worked great on some violent alpacas at about 30 yards

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Going with Barnes Busters from now on. 400gr at 1800 fps mv from my 18.5" barrel Marlin GBL. OK results with jacketed soft nose bullets. But prefer less expansion to get straight thru penetration. A 45 doesn't need to expand much.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://cuttingedgebullets.com...ver-gun-safari-solid

325 and 400 grain solids for lever actions

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 405 grain Remington at 1800 fps. Worked well on deer and elk.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a 45-70, the 480 grain Lyman 457121 is the nuts. Check out youtube 45-70 zebra kill for evidence. That was at 161 yards and 1242 fps at the muzzle.

This bullet, cast out of wheel weights is accurate and deadly, and gives complete lengthwise penetration on kudu and side to side penetration on the zebra, as well as bison and elk. It is a flat nosed bullet with a meplat of about.260 or so and penetrated over 40 inches of kudu cow before stopping.. This is my personal repeated experience, not hearsay.

A load of 38.5 grains of IMR 3031 gives 1300 fps out of my Marlin 45-70 Cowboy, and the load feeds like it is greased. Recoil with this load is mild, a lot less than the 405 grain Remington at 1600-1800 fps, and the penetration is nearly double that of the Remington bullet and load.

I know that this is not what a lot of you want to hear, but for those looking for an EFFECTIVE and accurate load that is pleasant to shoot out of your 45-70, here's your huckelberry.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a 350 gr swift A frame?

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load some reduced .458 win mag loads with the 350 gr. Speer flat nose soft point. It’s a great bullet for accuracy and my loads are like a hot 45-70. Might be worth a try in yours. The lighter bullet might help with the recoil as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
How about a 350 gr swift A frame?

Didnt see it on midway

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up Sharpsguy!!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the flowers.Some people don't want to hear, and a lot of people don't recognize good advice when they see it. This bullet and load is a genuine pearl for those looking for something that flat out works in a 45-70 lever gun or a single shot. I use it in both.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Unless you are going for elephant buff or rhino, can this bullet be beaten for solids?

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
It ain’t the noise or recoil that kills. It’s the bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another example of the penetration and performance of the cast Lyman 457121 that I used to take the zebra on the youtube video. I have this on video, but not on youtube.

Same trip to the Eastern Cape, and we were looking for warthog for meat for the staff. A decent warthog was spotted, and I set up for a shot with the Shiloh Sharps 45-70 off of sitting cross sticks at a lasered 209 yards. There was a lot of prickly pear cactus in the immediate proximity to the warthog, and he was perfectly broadside in front of a really big cactus at least three feet in diameter. I believe to this day it is easily the biggest prickly pear cactus I have ever seen.

At the shot, the warthog staggered, and in the video you can see the bullet impact knock a chunk off of the cactus immediately behind the warthog. He staggered off about 20 yards and fell over dead. We went to the warthog and were examining the entrance and exit wounds when one of the trackers announced the presence of another blood trail. Upon following it we found a second dead warthog that the 457121 had hit and gone through and through both shoulders and exited.

We were completely unaware of the presence of the second warthog until we ran the video and saw him come bailing out from behind the cactus, and would have not seen or recovered him if the tracker had not seen the second blood trail.

These bullets were cast from a mixture of 50/50 clip on wheel weights and lead and and were air cooled. There was no attempt at getting maximum penetration for the bullet.

Had I wanted maximum penetration, I would have used straight wheel weights and water quenched them for a bhn of 19 to 21. I have not personally done it, but I have it on good authority that a flat nosed water quenched wheel weight bullet weighing 480 grains will go from front to back of an elephant's skull and lodge in the neck at an impact velocity of 1200 fps.

I also know that this bullet will penetrate and exit both shoulders of a bull giraffe at 200 yards. That particular giraffe yielded 970 kilos of hanging meat.

I don't claim that this Lyman 457121 is the ultimate solid, but they don't cost a dollar or more apiece, are easy to make at home, and have quickly and humanely killed everything I have ever shot with one. There is no doubt in my mind that they will shoot through and through any bear or moose that walks at 1300 fps.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
How far did that Zebra run when shot before piling up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq-A6uRSE2w

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how far the one in your link ran. That was not my zebra. Mine went straight down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This might be it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqs543qxTHE

Hi Bill,
Please, what is your groove diameter on the Shiloh, and what diameter do you size your 480-grain bullet??

I just cast some of those bullets (Lyman 457121PH) to try in the .45-100 2.6" Sharps Winchester Throated.

It is called the "Parker Hale Volunteer" bullet also.
That mould is listed in the muzzleloader section of the Lyman catalog.

I needed it for the .457"-grooved rifling of my Pedersoli barrel.
I figured it would be same diameter as the Lyman "Government" bullet, (Lyman 457125 for 500-gr RN), but no, it casts a couple thou smaller.

In 92/5/2/1 aloy (Pb/Sb/Sn/AS) my 457121 bullets weigh only 462 grains and diameter is .457" to .458", OK call it .4575".

Glad to hear they work so well at 1200-ish fps impact velocity.
I can do that !
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
That shot looks to have caught the spine where the neck enters the shoulders. DRT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP--Shilohs have a bore dimension of 450/458, and mine has a standard factory barrel. That particular rifle has been used for nearly ten years in BPCR competition and as a test rifle and has nearly 23,000 rounds on the barrel. It has never had a jacketed bullet run through it.

Bullets from the Lyman 457121 molds fall out at .4565, and I don't size them. I dip lube them and then run them through a .458 sizing die to remove the excess lube. When fired, they upset and fill the bore perfectly and do not lead the bore, and are very accurate. They actually run between 475 and 478 grains. I have used them in my Pedersolis as well with the same good results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fury--Truth be told, that shot on the zebra is the only time I have ever been disappointed in the performance of that bullet.

The bullet hit at the top of the chevron, took out the top of the heart and the big blood vessels and then went through the right lung. THEN it veered up and hit the spine before exiting. This surprised me to no end, as several days before near Durban when hunting with another outfitter, I had shot a cow kudu from 100 yards at the outfitter's request for meat with the 457121. That shot took the kudu square in the chest on a full frontal shot, and we found the bullet at the base of her tail lodged in the pelvis, after 39 measured inches of straight line penetration. That is the only bullet I have ever recovered using a Sharps, and I still have it. The kudu went straight down also, and I was expecting straight line penetration on the zebra--especially after the episode with the warthogs and cactus.

Since then, I have taken three bison and several hogs with the bullet, and have always gotten complete straight line pass through results. It is basically my no nonsense go to bullet for almost everything.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Like the idea and nostalgia of cast but experiences with less than stellar accuracy have led me to dismiss these for use in hunting rounds. Continued reliable results with jacketed and brass solids.

For example Hornady 45 caliber 500gr RN at 1600 fps impact speed punch clear through broadside on Moose. Wide wound channel. Plenty of shock at this higher impact speed. Prefer a fast handling rifle with quick repeat fire capability when hunting in big Bear territory - lever or bolt action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
RIP--Shilohs have a bore dimension of 450/458, and mine has a standard factory barrel. That particular rifle has been used for nearly ten years in BPCR competition and as a test rifle and has nearly 23,000 rounds on the barrel. It has never had a jacketed bullet run through it.

Bullets from the Lyman 457121 molds fall out at .4565, and I don't size them. I dip lube them and then run them through a .458 sizing die to remove the excess lube. When fired, they upset and fill the bore perfectly and do not lead the bore, and are very accurate. They actually run between 475 and 478 grains. I have used them in my Pedersolis as well with the same good results.

Thanks for that, Bill, you have furthered my understanding of that bullet.

I bought 30 pounds of WW at a gun show and it looks good enough to try to reproduce your load in my Pedersoli .45-70 Govt. replicas.
Adding 30 pounds of pure lead to that and I will have 60 pounds.

I like your dip-lube/pan-lube and clean-up with a .458-cal sizer. The seven lube grooves on that bullet can carry the mail, eh?

I would prefer duplexing the BP, for extended shooting without BP fouling and blow tube.

When it comes to smokeless loads in the .457"-grooved .45-100 2.6" Sharps Winchester Throated
I can easily paint that bullet up to greater than groove size with hard alloy, and size it to 0.459".

Will have to see if I can get it to work in the .459"-grooved "Long Throats."
I go for 0.461" with smokeless, hard alloy, and powder-coat paint.
On the plain base bullets, I am going to depend on the baked-on paint as a gas check.
My 92-521 alloy has a bit of arsenic, like WW.

BTW, I got myself a .58-cal Hawken too, after hearing you opine about them.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
4sixteen,

500-gr at 1600 fps in a Marlin.
That is very interesting too.
Care to divulge what powder charge you use?
Flatten the round noses in the jaws of a vise for tubular magazine and all the COL you can get?
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
4sixteen,

500-gr at 1600 fps in a Marlin.
That is very interesting too.
Care to divulge what powder charge you use?
Flatten the round noses in the jaws of a vise for tubular magazine and all the COL you can get?
tu2
Rip ...
popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't really know what to tell you about your lack of accuracy problem with cast bullets, but your experience in this area certainly doesn't mirror mine. I don't want to get in to a bragging or pissing match over this, but I will say that I have routinely taken animals with one shot with my Sharps rifles and cast bullets at laser measured distances that are quite a bit farther than most people on this forum are willing to shoot. If my ammo loaded with cast bullets did not give good accuracy, I couldn't do this, and I don't take shots that I don't think I can make. I fully expect to kill any animal I decide to shoot at with the first shot, and don't consider myself limited because my ammo is loaded with cast bullets.

Having said that, I think we should all use what we are comfortable with and what we feel works best for us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
Like the idea and nostalgia of cast but experiences with less than stellar accuracy have led me to dismiss these for use in hunting rounds. Continued reliable results with jacketed and brass solids.

For example Hornady 45 caliber 500gr RN at 1600 fps impact speed punch clear through broadside on Moose. Wide wound channel. Plenty of shock at this higher impact speed. Prefer a fast handling rifle with quick repeat fire capability when hunting in big Bear territory - lever or bolt action.

Could a guy get more info on this load? Thinking thatd be fin with a 500gr woodleigh

one of us
posted Hide Post
To kill with one shot at all ranges is to bag well.
That is a family tradition amongst the Bagwell Clan.

Bill,
Don't hold back.
Tell us what that soft lead and lube can really do when bumped up to supersonic by BP in a Shiloh Sharps, just carrying on with the family tradition.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Bill
Yep;
I thought I saw impact on the shoulder and then trauma on the neck but clearly the immediate rear end first drop to the ground form had all the signs of spinal column hit. I watched on a small screen ...
Thanks for clearing that up. Bullets of any type can preform in a anomalous fashion. Doesn’t change the facts under the 92% of the curve though. Cast is a highly reliable bullet when used inside it’s performance characteristics.
Keep up the good work Sir.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't really know what to tell you about your lack of accuracy problem with cast bullets, but your experience in this area certainly doesn't mirror mine. I don't want to get in to a bragging or pissing match over this, but I will say that I have routinely taken animals with one shot with my Sharps rifles and cast bullets at laser measured distances that are quite a bit farther than most people on this forum are willing to shoot. If my ammo loaded with cast bullets did not give good accuracy, I couldn't do this, and I don't take shots that I don't think I can make. I fully expect to kill any animal I decide to shoot at with the first shot, and don't consider myself limited because my ammo is loaded with cast bullets.

Having said that, I think we should all use what we are comfortable with and what we feel works best for us.

Sharpsguy:

My guess is cast bullets are your passion, and you devote a significant amount of time and attention to them. For a casual cast shooter like me, it would be a stretch to expect the same results you do. Holds true for a lot of things in the shooting world.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know that they are a passion, but they have significant advantages, as far as I am concerned. I will say that I don't shoot commercially cast bullets, and cast my own. I cast them, weigh them, then give them a quick visual inspection before lubing and sizing.

That is all the prep that I do, and any number of people that shoot these rifles do the same. A huge advantage is that they are immediately available--if I need some, I simply go to the shop and cast 50 or so. And they are for all intents and purposes, free. I scrounge the wheelweights from a couple of local tire shops, and a neighbor who has a roofing business gives me scrap lead from time to time. All I am out is a couple of bucks for propane and about an hour's time to run 100 bullets.

But the REAL advantage, is that they don't wear out your barrel like jacketed bullets and smokeless powder do. Shooting smokeless and 405 grain Remington bullets and 305 grain Remington hollow points, I got throat erosion at 3500 rounds on one of my early rifles, and by 5000 rounds the barrel was done. None of my current rifles has ever seen a jacketed bullet or smokeless powder, and one of my Sharps does in fact have over 23,000 rounds down it since I started shooting it in 2002. Economy coupled with performance is what got me started shooting cast bullets, and I have never seen a reason to change. Fifty cents to a dollar for a bullet and nine hundred bucks to rebarrel a Sharps gets old in a hurry, so I stick with cast.

I also like the nostalgia angle. To be able to take 130 year old technology and put it display is a lot of fun sometimes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sharpsguy,

I am inspired by your success.
I want to shoot soft lead with grease-groove lube and BP.
I want to see if such loads can be made to shoot accurately in the .45-100 2.6" Sharps Winchester Throated.
I think they will be accurate as long as the velocity is kept below 1400 fps.

What all have you killed with your .45-bore BPCR's?

What is the average distance at which you bagged the game in NA and Africa?

What was your longest shot?

I just cast some hard-lead bullets for the smokeless:

Now I need to make up some of the 457125PH in 50:50 WW/Lead and hope they come out 0.4565" and about 475 to 480 grains.
That is the bullet above on the right.
It was .4575" and 462 grains in my "hardball" alloy.

After a break-in with smokeless, hardball, powder-coat paint, and gas-checked 486-grainers (Lyman # 457671) and 544-grainers (Saeco # 020),
both sized to .459",
I resolve to use Goldie Pedersoli-Ruger (.457" groove diameter) only with WW/Pb bullets and duplexed BP.
She will last longer that way. tu2

I resolve to use the smokeless loads with hardcast in my other .45-100 2.6" Sharps Winchester Throated (.459"-grooved) Bobbee Boom-Boom Ruger,
and, of course, any .459"-grooved .458 WIN,
like all of mine are.
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP--A couple of things..I hope you have good luck with the 45 on the 2.6 inch case. I used to provide loading assistance to guys with problematic BPCR rifles here at my range, and of the six that I never could get to shoot acceptably well, four were chambered in 45-2.6. Three were Ballards, and one was a Shiloh Sharps. I always suspected that there was something awry with the harmonic produced by that particular length powder column. It is interesting to note that this particular chambering was used by the Sharps factory only for a very short time. It was first used in Nov. of 1876 and was replaced by the 2.4 inch case in June 1877. I suspect the factory had trouble with accuracy as well. Anyway, I hope you can make it work.

That flat nosed bullet is going to work well, and is a very good killer on game. It is also accurate at long range. I suspect it will end up being your go to bullet. Its only drawback that I can find is that it doesn't look very impressive in a cartridge belt.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the other bullet will want to shoot well, as it has a long, unsupported nose. Unlike a jacketed spitzer, these cast bullets often suffer from nose slump and attendant accuracy issues. I KNOW it will not kill well, as it is tapered and designed much like a suppository for easy insertion, ostensibly so that it will get through the wind with minimal resistance. It does the same thing in flesh, as I have a friend that lost three consecutive hogs shooting a similar bullet. I also watched a hunting companion put five rounds behind the shoulder and out the other side of a cow elk from about 50 yards shooting a 45-110 and a 540 grain Metford bullet which is very similar--and she didn't even flinch until she fell over. About four hours later the same fellow shooting the same rifle put a 5x6 bull on the ground with one shot with the same behind the shoulder hit, only this time he was shooting a 504 grain flat nosed bullet with a generous meplat. It gave an exit hole nearly the size of a 50 cent piece, and the bull took three steps and dropped.

Having said all of that, you never know which bullet is going to shoot the best out of a given rifle until you try it. I do know that the flat nosed bullet is far and away the best hunting bullet.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Sharpsguy,
We thank you for your contributions! Harmonics in a Powder Column! RIP, just think of what can be done on the 458WM thread with that one. Maybe Sharpsguy will venture over and share some Cast wisdom on that story. For the Mission of course!!

The most pointed Cast bullet I shoot is a Lyman 35809 RN straight column of Lead in my Whelen. No stinking BC improvement needed in this technology.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP--In North America, I have killed quite a number of deer and hogs. So many that I have lost count, actually. Most of the deer were taken between 65 and 150 yards. I have also taken three elk and six or eight buffalo, I can't remember which. Add a couple of javalina, an aoudad and a couple of bobcats and four or five coyotes that I remember. My longest shot on big game in North America was 245 yards with a 45-70 Pedersoli Sharps in Tensas Parish, Louisiana a number of years ago on an eight point whitetail. My longest shot on a buffalo--bison--was a bit over 180 yards. I have never recovered a bullet from an animal in North America. Probably my BEST shot in North America was a crow I shot off the ground on my rifle range with my 40-70 Sharps Straight at 321 yards. I also killed a crow at 205 yards with my 45-110 and a 511 grain paper patched bullet. I have missed some and knocked feathers off of a couple , but a crow is a sporting target, and I take a crack at one whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Now. Africa is the Real Deal. Lots more game, and the Eastern Cape provides more open space than where I hunted in the American south. The first animal I took in Africa was a 48 inch kudu at 302 yards. One shot, down and done with a 45-110 Shiloh Business Rifle and a 520 grain Lyman Govt bullet. You will see this on the DVD that is in the mail. Then there is the black wildebeast at 229, the 327 yard springbok, the 196 yard gemsbok, the 312 yard blue wildebeast and a couple more. There are a couple of zebra on the list, one with a 45-70.

The longest shot I have made was a Springbok at 547 yards with a 511 grain paper patched bullet out of a 45-110, although I took two blesbok one day north of Durban with a 45-70, one at 451 yards and another at 307. I was shooting the 457121 Lyman flatnosed bullet in the 45-70. It is the same rifle and load I used on the zebra in the DVD.

A good laser rangefinder is essential to success doing this, and all these distances in Africa were taken with a Leica CRF1200. My current rangefinder of choice is a SIG Kilo 2200. All this is done with cast lead bullets and black powder, and barrel buckhorn and blade front sight. No scope, no jacketed bullets, and no smokeless or duplex loads. In fact, I have never taken an animal with smokeless powder and a jacketed bullet. Hope this helps a bit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP--A couple of things..I hope you have good luck with the 45 on the 2.6 inch case. I used to provide loading assistance to guys with problematic BPCR rifles here at my range, and of the six that I never could get to shoot acceptably well, four were chambered in 45-2.6. Three were Ballards, and one was a Shiloh Sharps. I always suspected that there was something awry with the harmonic produced by that particular length powder column. It is interesting to note that this particular chambering was used by the Sharps factory only for a very short time. It was first used in Nov. of 1876 and was replaced by the 2.4 inch case in June 1877. I suspect the factory had trouble with accuracy as well. Anyway, I hope you can make it work.

Smiler No worries, I enjoy a challenge.
Yep, from the horses' mouths (yours and Frank Seller's), I note that the .45-2.6" Straight case was first used by Sharps in November 1876. patriot
They used a .45/100/550 paper patch as the standard load.
June 8, 1877 Sharps introduced the .45-2.4" Straight case and used the same load in it.
They just seated the paper-patched 550-grain bullet less deeply, in the shorter case, same amount of powder compression, same powder column length.
So I do not understand any powder-column harmonic problem there,
UNLESS
it occurs when seating same bullets to same depth in the 2.1", 2.4", and 2.6" Straight cases, like you do with grease-grooved bullets.
Greater compression comes with shorter cases. Maybe the greater compression of BP makes it work better.
Up to 0.5" compression in the 2.1" case?
That would be like a non-compressed 70 grains of BP in the 2.6" case.
Yet they got 100 grains of BP into both 2.4" and 2.6" Straight cases.

Yet John Rigby and Daniel Frazier took up the obsolete Sharps case a few years later in the UK, circa 1880,
and they called it the .450-2.6" MATCH.
Cool

That flat nosed bullet is going to work well, and is a very good killer on game. It is also accurate at long range. I suspect it will end up being your go to bullet. Its only drawback that I can find is that it doesn't look very impressive in a cartridge belt.
animal

I may be wrong, but I don't think the other bullet will want to shoot well, as it has a long, unsupported nose. Unlike a jacketed spitzer, these cast bullets often suffer from nose slump and attendant accuracy issues. I KNOW it will not kill well, as it is tapered and designed much like a suppository
rotflmo
for easy insertion, ostensibly so that it will get through the wind with minimal resistance.

OK, so it is a TARGET bullet for use in the .458 WIN LongCOL 3.6" or even the .458 W-W Super 3.8" wildcat.
So it is with the Barnes .458/500-grain TSX which is fantastic in the air, and tumbles after impact.

It does the same thing in flesh, as I have a friend that lost three consecutive hogs shooting a similar bullet. I also watched a hunting companion put five rounds behind the shoulder and out the other side of a cow elk from about 50 yards shooting a 45-110 and a 540 grain Metford bullet which is very similar--and she didn't even flinch until she fell over. About four hours later the same fellow shooting the same rifle put a 5x6 bull on the ground with one shot with the same behind the shoulder hit, only this time he was shooting a 504 grain flat nosed bullet with a generous meplat. It gave an exit hole nearly the size of a 50 cent piece, and the bull took three steps and dropped.

I get it. Got it. tu2

Having said all of that, you never know which bullet is going to shoot the best out of a given rifle until you try it. I do know that the flat nosed bullet is far and away the best hunting bullet.

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP--In North America, I have killed quite a number of deer and hogs. So many that I have lost count, actually. Most of the deer were taken between 65 and 150 yards. I have also taken three elk and six or eight buffalo, I can't remember which. Add a couple of javalina, an aoudad and a couple of bobcats and four or five coyotes that I remember. My longest shot on big game in North America was 245 yards with a 45-70 Pedersoli Sharps in Tensas Parish, Louisiana a number of years ago on an eight point whitetail. My longest shot on a buffalo--bison--was a bit over 180 yards. I have never recovered a bullet from an animal in North America. Probably my BEST shot in North America was a crow I shot off the ground on my rifle range with my 40-70 Sharps Straight at 321 yards. I also killed a crow at 205 yards with my 45-110 and a 511 grain paper patched bullet. I have missed some and knocked feathers off of a couple , but a crow is a sporting target, and I take a crack at one whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Now. Africa is the Real Deal. Lots more game, and the Eastern Cape provides more open space than where I hunted in the American south. The first animal I took in Africa was a 48 inch kudu at 302 yards. One shot, down and done with a 45-110 Shiloh Business Rifle and a 520 grain Lyman Govt bullet. You will see this on the DVD that is in the mail. Then there is the black wildebeast at 229, the 327 yard springbok, the 196 yard gemsbok, the 312 yard blue wildebeast and a couple more. There are a couple of zebra on the list, one with a 45-70.

The longest shot I have made was a Springbok at 547 yards with a 511 grain paper patched bullet out of a 45-110, although I took two blesbok one day north of Durban with a 45-70, one at 451 yards and another at 307. I was shooting the 457121 Lyman flatnosed bullet in the 45-70. It is the same rifle and load I used on the zebra in the DVD.

A good laser rangefinder is essential to success doing this, and all these distances in Africa were taken with a Leica CRF1200. My current rangefinder of choice is a SIG Kilo 2200. All this is done with cast lead bullets and black powder, and barrel buckhorn and blade front sight. No scope, no jacketed bullets, and no smokeless or duplex loads. In fact, I have never taken an animal with smokeless powder and a jacketed bullet. Hope this helps a bit.

clap
Words fail me.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Sharpsguy,
We thank you for your contributions! Harmonics in a Powder Column! RIP, just think of what can be done on the 458WM thread with that one. Maybe Sharpsguy will venture over and share some Cast wisdom on that story. For the Mission of course!!

tu2
Rip ...