THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Have you got or have you had over the years a favourite bore size
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you got or have you had over the years a favourite bore size Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
For me it is easily 375 bore in bigger bores. Just in the 378 I have had 7 of them. One 375 H&H Imp and countless 375 H&Hs.

270 at the smaller end. The 270 Winchester in all configurations including bench rest style rifles. 270 Wby and 270/308/Norma.

Leaving rebarrels aside and just taking complete rifles I have owned more 270 Winchester and 375 H&H rifles than any other calibres.

I will be interested to see RIPs Smiler

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You boys that are shooting those big .500 and .600s are gonna end up in a wheel chair with a nurse stuffing baby food down your mouth as you slobber and mumble thanks! jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
Leaving rebarrels aside and just taking complete rifles I have owned more 270 Winchester and 375 H&H rifles than any other calibres.

I will be interested to see RIPs Smiler

Mike McGuire has blackmail info on me from my indiscriminate youth when I favored various other calibers.
I sure hope he does not let any of that out, now that I possess true enlightenment, the wisdom of my years.
The flings occurring during immaturity can be rather embarrassing once such foolishness has passed.

Just going by numbers currently owned as complete rifles:
Most: .45-bore, mostly .458-.459" in the grooves
Next: .30-bore, mostly .308" in the grooves.
So I would consider Sarg to be a wise man.

I am able to look back and laugh at myself too.
My first "custom" gunsmithing patronage was for a .375 Weatherby Magnum,
followed within a few months of early 1987 by a .416 Barnes Supreme and a .450 Barnes Supreme,
just before the .416 Remington Magnum was rolled out. Big Grin

My first wildcat was a .510/460 Weatherby Improved J & B. animal
And I even paid for tooling to get Harry McGowen making .395-caliber barrels. jumping
Maybe twelve of those .395-caliber were ever made, and I have 5 rifles in 4 wildcat chamberings done with those barrels.
I will not mention the names of any other owners of those barrels, to protect the innocent.
True crime.

Least favorite: 7mm
patriot
.458 Winchester Magnum Perfection
Nota bene: In maxima potentia parvum spatium.
Id venit et vicit omnis.

The longer load plus higher pressure is a Lott of fun.
But three point three four and sixty thousand will get it done,
if the rifle is chambered for the FOUR FIVE EIGHT Winchester.
Believe the Three Mahohbohs, or you're a monkey's sister.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

Least favorite: 7mm

Ron,

Your disgusting secret Big Grin is safe with me.

Like you, the 7 mm is not for me. It is almost like God did not allow me any success with 7mm and the 7mm Remington being the only 7 mm have tried and has been several.

I have had rifles, dies etc that were fucked when I got 7 mm Remington. It is cursed for me. I think when you don't like something then things just go wrong. The 7 mm Remember never appealed to me but I had to give the calibre a good try. Even had barrels for bench style rifle an up to HV contour.

Actually when case capacity is similar I think both Americans and Australians prefer 270s

270 Vs 280 Rem
270 WSM Vs 7mm WSM
270 Wby Vs 7mm Wby.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not so much about favorite, but have accumulated a lot of 35's and 40's.

35 Remington
358 Win
35 Whelen
358 Norma

40-65, Sharps and '86 Winchester
400 Whelen
400 H&H
416 Taylor

I like em both, they're hell for useful, but, favorite across the board is .375, 20 lb Steenbok to 2000 lb Eland, Hippo, Buffalo and Ele, 4 yards to 400, it'll get it all done.

I run 300gr partitions to 2680 and 300gr BBW #13 solids at 2700 in an old 25" barreled pre-64 M-70.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to see the .308 left out and mentioned is disrespect..It my favorite elk and Mule and coues deer caliber ina Sav. mod. 99F with a 4X Leupold but only when I hunt horseback..it packs so nice and wears not on the underside of my knee..and its a dandy for Texas Hill country deer, that are rather small in the species and mostly stand hunting at 100 yards..just a quirk of mine, other calibers work as well I suspect, but levers are somewhat limited for my use.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a love for the medium bores. 358 norma, 9.3x62, and of course the .375 HH. These have me covered for all of North America and African plains game.
If I could only have ONE, of course it would be the .375HH, of which I have two already.

Now I'm gonna start sending this thread sideways by saying that I should just probably get a .375 barrel for my Blaser stir

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It kind of depends.

For big bore rifles, I have the most of .416 bore.

For number of game animals killed, .375 bore.

Small(er) bore most game is .308 bore.

Most rifles in bore is .224.

Favorite is probably the .416 Rigby Dakota, but the .375 H&H Dakota is also right there. Hunting with the .470 double is probably more exciting though, mainly because you have to get so much closer.

Posts: 10574 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote