Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

big bore help Login/Join

posted
I just traded for a Ruger single shot...not sure if it's a no. 1 or not...it's marked .425 Magnum on the barrel...nada info on Ruger's website...I'm thinking it's a .425 WR...don't have any big bore experience...anybody got any info to share? Thanks..lazza

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
could also be the 425 express

the 425 express is basicly a 416 taylor +.007

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lazza,

Can you tell if it's a Ruger factory or custom barrel?

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Didn't the person who trade it to you know what it was chambered for?

Get a chamber cast made before you fire any ammo in it.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what george said.

it is PROBABLY a 425 savage, but a chamber cast should be 30 bucks

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's a factory barrel all the way...I'll grab a pic or two and post em when I finish up in the shop...thanks for the help guys...lazza

one of us
posted Hide Post
A #1 is clearly marked on top of the receiver ring.
Maybe you got a Farquharson?

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic...yep..I found the No. 1...I'm old and my eyes are bad.
Ran the serial number...mfg'd 1988 and the guy I got the gun from says it's
a .425 WR and he thinks his father-in-law (original owner) had brass, dies and bullets before he passed...he's checking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chamber casting is the best idea. Can't get the connection for the WR unless it is a 425 express which is based on the 300 win case shortened to 2.550 and then fireformed in the 425 chamber. That could be the W for the Winchester case and the R could be the original rifle it was designed on being the Ruger model 77. Not sure about that for an association with the WR but it would make sense. Hope I was some help. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe Ruger ever made any No.1's in .425 Westley Richards.

It looks like a custom made up to use the Ruger quarter rib, barrel band and front sight.

Surely it doesn't have all the Ruger factory rolled inscriptions on the barrel does it?

Of course Ruger was known to have made a couple of experimental .416 Taylor M77's, so maybe there is an ultra-rare factory .425WR No.1, or two, out there?

Ruger Historian where are you?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never even thought of the Westley Richards cartridge, but were rebated rims used that often in singles or doubles? I'm a little ignorant in this area. Belted cartridges do well in the #1 {got one in 375H&H} so why wouldn't a rebated one? Rebated cart's wouldn't be my first choice in that style of an action but I'll take em in bolt gun anyday! Should be able to look inside the chamber area and see if there is a recess for the belt just inside the chamber. Looking closer at the picture I couldn't see any scroll markings on the barrel {maybe poor resolution} so could very well be a custom in the Westley Richards. Chamber casting is the to go. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

you would not believe the "personal" Number 1's that employees made up in their spare time at Ruger. I have handled a pair of .500 3" NE's and one .476WR the same foreman had done. They used to let retiring employees build a firearm to spec as a retirement present. Saw an old model flattop in 32-20, and a...never mind, you wouldn't believe a couple if you saw them. Let's just say that some real oddball calibers got assembled on lunch breaks.

regars,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
I don't believe Ruger ever made any No.1's in .425 Westley Richards.

It looks like a custom made up to use the Ruger quarter rib, barrel band and front sight.

Surely it doesn't have all the Ruger factory rolled inscriptions on the barrel does it?

Of course Ruger was known to have made a couple of experimental .416 Taylor M77's, so maybe there is an ultra-rare factory .425WR No.1, or two, out there?

Ruger Historian where are you?

Here's the barrel marks...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Must be as Rich says. A one-off employee gun, or one of the Ruger prototypes?

We know Ruger actually made some .404 Jeffery Ruger No.1's, and that would be the same barrel as would be used on a .425 Express (.423 caliber). The caliber looks hand stamped, not factory rolled. Something is atypical about that, aye.

Until you can do a chamber cast it would be easy to carefully put a caliper to the rifling grooves at the muzzle and tell if it is a .423, or a .435 caliber as the .425 WR would be.

It might even be an employee wildcat that is neither .425 Express nor .425 WR.

".425 Magnum" is a pretty generic designator. Not cool. But the rifle is cool, whatever the chambering.

Of course those two photos could be from two different rifles. Wink Just pulling your leg unless you are pulling mine.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Ruger

They can probably give you some more info