THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416 bullets for north American big game

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 bullets for north American big game Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm bouncing between 400gr a frames, partitions and the 350gr speer mag tips. The 350gr are the cheapest so obviously if they are great id use them lol, i have some factory ammo with the 400gr a frames that I'll use up before i stadt reloading. Any thoughts? Not interested in tsx though, i know they work but i dont want to deal with copper fouling at this time

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
350gr T-TSX or 340gr CEB V15 preferred but good results with 350gr Mag Tip. Also load 340gr Woodleigh bonded core. And 400gr RN Hornady 1800 fps mv reduced load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 350gr mag tip it well kill any thing in north America that you want to shoot with it.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have come to prefer the 350 gr mag tips in my 416s. I have compared several different brands on pigs and whitetails. No all coppers though! On my game its hard to tell the difference. There is bigger stuff that I will never see. For the price they are accurate and put a thump on a pig or deer!

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
With the modern homogeneous bullets we have available One could very easily make the argument for the Barnes 300 TSX for any and all N Am game.
My daughter has them in her 416 Remington for Dall sheep in the Brooks range, to Brown Bear, Moose and Caribou on the Alaskan peninsula, and Cape buffalo in Zimbabwe.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4191 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have a good stock of the old old hornady 400gr sp.. less meat destruction than magtips, works fine for me

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38451 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Speer 350gr bc listed as 0.332. Barnes 350gr TTSX 0.444 bc for improved downrange energies. Way better with VLD bullet, 0.78 bc 340gr CEB MTH V15. Load these in my 416 Ruger Alaskan. Same 100 yd POI as 350gr TTSX in my rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Model 70 Winchester really liked the 370 grain North Fork .416 bullets, both soft and solids. The two bullets grouped within half inch at a speed of 2400 fps and did their magic in my buff in the Selous. I have several waiting for when I return. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
My Model 70 Winchester really liked the 370 grain North Fork .416 bullets, both soft and solids. The two bullets grouped within half inch at a speed of 2400 fps and did their magic in my buff in the Selous. I have several waiting for when I return. Good Shooting.

I may give those a try also, I've heard nothing but good about the north fork bullets, only reason i hadnt tried them was because i heard they shut down but i guess they are back up. Have you seen any difference in bullet quality from before to the new management?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
350gr T-TSX or 340gr CEB V15 preferred but good results with 350gr Mag Tip. Also load 340gr Woodleigh bonded core. And 400gr RN Hornady 1800 fps mv reduced load.

What powder and charge do you use for the 400 gn Hornady down load?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Adaptation of 8mm RM data from Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. 416 RM case necked down to 8mm. Factory load 416 RM 400gr speed backed off by 600 fps to 1800 fps should work fine at dark timber ranges why not 45-70 400gr at 1800 fps does.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I had a lot of old 400 gr Hornady bullets I loaded around 2000 fps for my daughter to use as practice loads. They are her plinking load, although would no doubt work just fine for hunting most anything.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4191 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:

You ain't gonna get it from 4sixteen.
He might be a lawyer who never mentions a powder charge.

In what .416-caliber cartridge are you wanting to load the 400-gr Hornady ?

.458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM PERFECTION
tu2
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:

You ain't gonna get it from 4sixteen.
He might be a lawyer who never mentions a powder charge.

In what .416-caliber cartridge are you wanting to load the 400-gr Hornady ?

tu2

.416 Remington. I am looking for a low cost, low recoil practice load.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can personally vouch for 72 grains of Hodgdon VARGET being a great starting load
that will give about 2200 fps with the 400-grain Hornady RNSP
in an RP case with F-215 primer, and COL from crimp on the Hornady cannelure, 24" barreled M70,
factory rifle.

That agrees well with the QuickLOAD below, just done with default to 410-grain Woodleigh.
400-gr Hornady pressures and velocities will be little different,
and on the safer side of pressure if any insignificant difference.

AA-5744 from 32.0 grains to 44.0 grains without filler,
MV from 1513 to 1903 fps.
Pressures from 19,393 PSI to 36,190 PSI.
42% LR-fill to 58% LR-fill.
The low charge weight will give lowest recoil for the fps attained.
More MV and more recoil are in the propellant table below the AA-5744 loads.

The propellant table below is limited to 50,000 PSI and 85% to 100% LR-fill (I would use some filler if less than 90% fill, for uniformity).
Muzzle velocities go from 2329 fps to 1067 fps !
The lowest 3 velocities there are for "test only" propellants, whatever that means.

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only used Mike Brady’s bullets managing to accumulate several box’s of .358, .416, .277 before he sold. I also got some 6.5 and more .358 from the guys in Oregon before they sold to the new guys in Sweden. No experience with the Sweden made bullets, but I bet they are to the same good specs. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about Hawk bullets in .416 caliber. He has a pretty good selection of round nose, spitzers and flat points and will make you a hollow point. I think the prices are reasonable but sometimes the supply can involve some waiting time.

Hawk bullet selector

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks RIP!

My pleasure. Filed it in the .416 Rem.Mag. binder for myself too.
I keep binders on load data for my rifles like Mitt Romney keeps binders on women.
SEMPER FI !
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the Hawk bullets in my .338 win on 30 head of PG, to have seperations everytime with the thick .060 jackets..I found the to be great on the old lever guns like the Win 94s,86s, and 71s,. They need a bonded core IMO..

Im old school on big bores, I like 400 ad 450 gr. 40 calibers, 500 and 550 gr. 458 etc, I love the 300 gr. Woodleigh in the .338 and the 350 gr. in the 375. Im sure the lighter bullet work fine most of the time, but sooner or later they will jump up and bite you in the a$$.. old I know its sofa time.

BUT for North America, I think Id choose the 350 gr. TSX as it would shoot as flat as the 180 gr. 30-06 I suspect. and penetrate as well as the 400 gr. bullet on the big bears, but for the big stuff in Africa, I'll stick with the 400 and 450 gr. bullets..Come to think of it any bullet you can use in the .416 will work on our big game animals, the only difference in the NA game and African game that I can see is some the African game has much thicker skin and is considerably heavier..

Maybe Im just blessed but Ive not had copper problem in my .416 REm ith the 300 and 350 gr. TSXs, I get a copper wash of sorts, but it has never effected accuracy in my gun, and Ive gone months (through the whole season) without a cleaning..Have you tested your gun? I see the .416 as the most all around rifle ever, if the recoil is no problem, the light bullets shoot as flat as a flitter, and the heavies hit like a hammer..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I don't have a .416 caliber rifle (only a Jeffery), but if it was me I'd go with the 350 gr TTSX. The BC is outstanding. I use the Barnes 300 gr TSX and 250 gr TTSX in my 375 H&H and the ballistics and knockdown are outstanding on the 250 gr TTSX.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 350 grain A-Frame would be my choice between those two for anything in North America.
The A-Frames are obviously very good bullets. Factory ammo loaded with the 300 grain have grouped well in 375 H&H and the 350’s in 416 Remington in my rifles.

As to copper fouling, the Barnes TSX have shown less fouling than the A-Frames in my rifles.
The A-Frame jacket is made of pure copper.

I use the 350 grain Barnes, but would have full confidence in the 350 grain A-Frame.

quote:
Originally posted by Hyak55171:
I'm bouncing between 400gr a frames, partitions and the 350gr speer mag tips. The 350gr are the cheapest so obviously if they are great id use them lol, i have some factory ammo with the 400gr a frames that I'll use up before i stadt reloading. Any thoughts? Not interested in tsx though, i know they work but i dont want to deal with copper fouling at this time

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggested the 350 TSX for all American game, and it will probably work for the big bears, but for that matter Ive used most of the 400 gr. 416 bullets on game as small as Impala and Sringbuck, as well as a number of Cape Buffalo, a Hippo and Ive seen it used on Elephant and LIon as well, and it worked on everything Ive used it on, or witnessed, so Id just grab a box of whatever and go hunting whatever...Come to think of it Ive used solid on Hartebeest, Zebra, and other PG with good results. Same with other bib big bores, they all work well enough on smaller game.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180gr or 225gr CEB

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 350 speer don't shoot that great for me. I know you don't like the TSX, but it shoots soooo much better. I also had a .458 350 speer splash on a deer spine without punching through. I'm sure they would work fine on meat or straight on hits on bone, but that splash on an angle bone shot made me second guess them.
the hornady 400 rn would work just fine also.
if you don't mind the price, a frames, partitions, northfork, or woodleigh will work great.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote