THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    I SPENT MONTHS LOOKING FOR A 470 CAPSTICK - BUT COULDN'T RESIST THIS 550 EXPRESS ALSO

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I SPENT MONTHS LOOKING FOR A 470 CAPSTICK - BUT COULDN'T RESIST THIS 550 EXPRESS ALSO Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
I SPENT MONTHS LOOKING FOR A 470 CAPSTICK - BUT COULDN'T RESIST THIS 550 EXPRESS ALSO

Hello all,

I spnet months looking for a 470 Capstick. And when I found one. http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/4151041072

There were a couple other Big Bores listed in the auction. I couldn't resist this one. A Custom 550 Express. Its a twin to the 470 and will make a big brother companion to it.

As always, your comments are welcome.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2105 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice.

Posts: 17066 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Indeed a good looking rifle and one of the nicer M1917’s I’ve seen.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nice.

Hello dpcd,
Thanks for the reply.

quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Indeed a good looking rifle and one of the nicer M1917’s I’ve seen.

Hello Cougarz,
Thanks for the reply.

I will have the rifle in hand later today and will examine it closely in hopes of identifying the builder.

Yesterday I spoke with Neal Shirley, the man who invented the 550 Express and the 550 Magnum cartridges. He said he wanted a caliber in-be-tween 470 and 577. The 550 Express cartridge is based on a 460 Wby Mag case slightly shortened so it can be used in a 458 Win Mag length Mauser action. (the 550 Magnum is based on a full length 460 Wby Mag case and required a magnum length action)

Ballistics of the 500 Express cartridge:

600g bullet = 2400fps
650g bullet = 2250fps
700g bullet = 2200fps

Posts: 2105 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I"ve posted many of loads on ammoguide
https://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/...BuOwRgdYKs&catid=738

would be interesting to know the history of this rifle.

i prefer h335 in the express

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38419 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
I"ve posted many of loads on ammoguide
https://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/...BuOwRgdYKs&catid=738

would be interesting to know the history of this rifle.

i prefer h335 in the express

Hello jeffeosso,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not a subscriber to that site. Perhaps you could share a few starting loads.

Well, I have the rifle in hand. This is truly an amazing rifle. Far better than the auction description and pictures. Weight is 10 pounds 10 ounces w/ 13-1/2" LOP. I've found the rifle was test fired only (1 round) likely by the builder. It came with the fired empty case and 10 virgin brass cases. Not even the site leaves are cut. I'm still researching to see who built the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Here's an update. I ordered a custom bullet mold from Accurate Molds. Although this bullet was originally designed for the Burnside carbine, I was able to specify the diameter at .550 and the weight at 450 grains. I wanted a lighter bullet suitable for hunting North American game. Accurate molds is an awesome company. I've ordered a lot of Big Bore Molds from them and have never been disappointed. Mold cost was only $101 delivered, and arrived it in less than 2 weeks. It casts perfectly.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/b...l.php?bullet=56-450B

I also received (on loan) a box of 600g Hawk bullets from Neal Shirley. Neal is the creator of the 550 express and had bullets in his personal stock. I've got bullets on order from Hawk, and when I get them, I'll replace those loaded to me from Neal. I have ordered a lot of bullets from Hawk over the years and have had good results with all of them.

Tomorrow I'll go to the range for testing loads. I'm anxious to see if this rifle performs as good as it looks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did this rifle shoot, Buckstix?

Posts: 1418 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
How did this rifle shoot, Buckstix?

Hello Bramdon Gleason,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm still working up a load. Then I'll file the standing site leaf accordingly and report the resuslts - like I did for the 470 Capstick.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/4151041072

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sorry for the delay

standard disclaimer - this is for educational purposes only, etc
the site lists 100gr of h335 as the basic starting load -

every other powder is too slow

The pressure testing Neal had done on the 550 Magnum also showed this and TAC (about the same) were the best

Neal and I are friends and hunting buddies, frequently hunted with his 550 mag and my 550 express - I expect there's no other persons that have shot as many .550 bullets as us.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38419 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello jeffeosso,
Thanks for the reply.

This is one az-kicking caliber. I was a little surprised by the recoil for the first couple of shots until I settled in. I'll be doing more testing with the bullets I got from Neal as soon as I'm finished with the 470 Capstick.