Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarofski z8i Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking of the new z8i for my .375 H&H. The combination would, in my opinion, create a truly one gun does it all system.

Anyone have experience with this new scope?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In my opinion:

1x-8x 24mm - too small an objective for very low-light;

1.7x-13.3x 42mm - too much magnification (on the high end) for a .375H&H.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

A 1-8x42 would be perfect. I would buy two and a 30-06 and 375 to put them on.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drongo, Excellent choice. I have used these and other European scopes on borrowed rifles in Africa. (The only one of this type that I could afford is a 4x IOR. I love it.)

This category of scope is in a completely different/higher class than what we are used to in North America, with a few equally high priced exceptions. They are the best in the world and you may not notice it until you get out in the dust, rain or bad light. Then you will really appreciate their suerior performance.

If this model is a bit dim in low light (I don't think it will be.) then just crank it down to 3-4 power and it will be perfect. In my "old school" opinion 6x-8x is plenty of power for the ballistics and game of a 30-06 /375 HH range of cartridges.

I should mention that some of these Euro scopes have a bit shorter eye relief. Just so you know. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you can get a better deal on the z6i and the 1.7-10 x42 is perfect on a .375

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
I think you can get a better deal on the z6i and the 1.7-10 x42 is perfect on a .375

I have not seen nor looked through the Z8 line, nor own a Z6 1.710x42 but do have a couple of 1-6x24, Z6 non-illuminated. If I wanted one scope in the Swarvoski line for all, without comprising too much of anything, I would look at the 1.7-10x42.

In low light, it seems between 4 to 5 power is the most usable for me in the Z6, 1-6x24. After 5x, I definitely can tell I need more objective size than a 24mm. And I can certainly detect a difference when comparing a Zeiss 1.5-6x42, all in the 42mm's favor.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10 on my 375 H&H and love it! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Owning the S&B 1-8 Exos , Z6i 1-6 and the Z6i 1.7-10.
I find them all excellent.
I do not find the 1-8 to be lacking in low light as compared to the 1.7-10.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never seen the need for anymore scope than a 2x7x28 or 2.5x8 Leupold and most of my go to big game rifles have a 3X or 4X Leupolds..Never felt the need for more nor the need to spend megga bucks on the foreign scopes. A scope to me is just a hole to look thu put the X on the animal and pull the trigger. So far its worked. I also find big scopes ugly and cumbersome on the trim sleek rifles I prefer. Just another thought on the subject, but to each his own. As to light, the 3X Leupold will gather all the light the human I can stand.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I have a Z6i 1.7-10x42 illuminated on my Dakota .375 H&H. I think it is nearly the perfect scope for the cartridge.

I guess the perfect scope would be a 1.25-10x42.

I used a Leica 2.5-10x42 on a leopard and a bushpig both at night and there was plenty of light gathering. We used a flashlight for the leopard but it was not really necessary. Bushpig was by moonlight only.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
What about a new Zeiss VICTORY V8 1.1–8x30 ?

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
I am thinking of the new z8i for my .375 H&H. The combination would, in my opinion, create a truly one gun does it all system.

Anyone have experience with this new scope?

I was looking at the Swarovski website, for what it worth they list the Z8I as having 93% light transmission and the Z6i is listed as 90%. Supposedly the human eye can detect a 3% difference.
As stated previously, I have the Z6, 1-6 and somewhere between 4 & 5 power increasing, my eyes see a benefit of 42mm objective. Perhaps this +3% light transmission would make a difference.
4x, for me and my uses is ample on my 375's, though sometimes 6x would be handy if usable. So far, I still prefer a 1st focal plane reticle. The Swarovski #4 in the 1-6x24 seems okay to me, but my preference is about about 1/3 tighter opening between thick and thin portions of the reticle.
Next on my wish list, for my perfect 375 scope, is the Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.5-6x42mm #4A non-illuminated.
Was searching the internet for one last night but, ran across a demo Swarovski Z6 non-illuminated Plex for a good price. This will likely be going on a 7mm Rem or 338 Win.
My search for the perfect do-it-all scope/rifle/cartridge is an ongoing costly endeavor.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been oogling over the Z6i and Z8i series for a few weeks now. I keep talking myself out of it by reminding myself the Leupold I have on my 375 (Euro-30 1.25-4x) will work fine enough for whatever I find myself hunting in the near future, and that extra $2-3000 would be well put towards trophy fees. If my budget allowed me to have them and not worry about extra trophy fees, I'd absolutely pick up one of the Z6i 1.7-10's.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
plus one on the z6i 1.7-10.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote