Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I find it amazing how real pros like Brian Herne and professional cullers like Richard Harland and Mike LaGrange, who have killed thousands upon thousands of elephant, prefer the 458 Win while it gets bashed by "experts" on forums.

Even Harry Selby bought a 458 after he sold his 416 Rigby !

Saeed has probably shot more buffalo than the rest of the forum combined. His 375/404 Improved is a 375 RUM with backed off loads. Yet the 375 RUM is a real no no ... on AR.

However, the 416 Rigby is great because it gets the 2400 with less pressure than the 416 Remington and is not a belted case. On that logic the 375 RUM should be the preferred choice over the 375 H&H.

But for reloading and playing around (probably 99% of big use) calibres like the 450 Ackley are better than the 458 Winchester. Also it does the 2100 f/s with 500 grain bullets while in cruising mode and with lots of powders.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also liked Finn's comment that a 500 grain Bullet traveling at 2000 fps left a big, bloody hole through anything it hit!

458Win,

True dat, but what velocity did you find so effective with the old 400-grain X-Bullets and/or X-Bullet-Cannelured?
IIRC, you used AA-2200?
I am not familiar with that powder, replaced by the current ones from Western Powders, I reckon.
Thanks for your contributions to THE MISSION
of the Four-Five-Eight Brothers.
tu2
Anyone who claims the .458 Winchester Magnum is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own sheepishness.
Rip

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

It takes near 5,000 posts to become an expert - I think I read that on the interwebz... I'm not there yet... :-(

Damn, I'm an expert and I never even knew it! I'm going to be demanding a lot more respect here from now on!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brian Herne had a 458 made that held 6 down plus one in the chamber. Allison and Carey of Portland did the work. I'd love to see how they did that as Brian specified it was not a drop-floor magazine, but was widened.

BaxterB,

The old Pre-'64 WinM70 box was wider, and held 4 down in .375 H&H compared to only 3 down with the later M70 Classic.
If they got 6 in the box without a drop belly stock or coffin floorplate,
they must have been doing a trapezoidal widening, wider at bottom of magazine, as well as wider at top too.
But that would probably require a wider than normal floorplate and probably some degree of "pocket plate" if not a full-blown "coffin."

We can do it with a CZ 550 Magnum and just a little, tiny, bit deeper floorplate from Wisner.

A 6+1 seven-shooter in .458 WinMag Longclaw 3.8" is in the works, awaiting the removal of its .458 Lott barrel.
tu2
Anyone who claims the .458 Winchester Magnum is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own sheepishness.
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the Westley Richards 458, what are those 'wings' roughly where the thumb cut is. Could somebody please explain.

Posts: 1120 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I find it amazing how real pros like Brian Herne and professional cullers like Richard Harland and Mike LaGrange, who have killed thousands upon thousands of elephant, prefer the 458 Win while it gets bashed by "experts" on forums.

It takes near 5,000 posts to become an expert - I think I read that on the interwebz... I'm not there yet... :-(

And i do believe Harry used the 458 only while the 416 was being re-barreled, which took quite a while. He sold the 416 about the time he was retiring so I don't think he used it much (if any) past that. Still, it did its job while he used it!

After he got the bill from Rigby for re-barreling that standard M98 .416 Rigby, he was happy to continue using that pushfeed M70 .458 WinMag,
lest he need another Rigby barrel before he could sell that museum piece.
His choice of cartridge, .458 WinMag, as the alternative, speaks volumes of prose.
tu2
Rip

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You are speaking like a mindless sheep.
A sheeple being sheepish.
Being baaaa-aa-aa-d. shame

quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

Saeed has probably shot more buffalo than the rest of the forum combined. His 375/404 Improved is a 375 RUM with backed off loads.
Also, Saeed's cartridge has a non-rebated rim, unlike the .375 RUM.
Yet the 375 RUM is a real no no ... on AR.
Yep!
rotflmo
However, the 416 Rigby is great because it gets the 2400 with less pressure than the 416 Remington and is not a belted case. On that logic the 375 RUM should be the preferred choice over the 375 H&H.
Only if we forget about several other neglected factors, including ammunition availability in a pinch.
But for reloading and playing around (probably 99% of big use) calibres like the 450 Ackley are better than the 458 Winchester.

That is total bovine dung! The .458 WinMag is much more fun to handload for and play with.
I have proven that in spades, and will continue to do that for many more pages here.

rotflmo

Also it does the 2100 f/s with 500 grain bullets while in cruising mode and with lots of powders.

More cattle coprolalia, implying that the .458 cannot do that!
The .458 WinMag can move 500-grainers at 2100 fps with many different powders, and quite low pressures.
There is just too little difference here to justify any argument against the .458 WinMag.

thumbdown
Rip

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
Looking at the Westley Richards 458, what are those 'wings' roughly where the thumb cut is. Could somebody please explain.

Those "wings" have also been referred to as "lips" or "clips" on the receiver.
They allow the .425 WR cartridge to rise up higher at the rear of the magazine box,
so the bolt does not override the rebated rim of the cartridge and fail to feed.
The .425 WR has such a severely rebated rim that it needed the extra help to function at all.
Worse than a RUM rebate. horse
Best quality .425 WR rifles also had a straight-stack/in-line magazine that stuck out of the bottom of the rifle.
Both the cartridge and the rifle were so ugly they were cute, ugly ducklings.
tu2
Rip

one of us
posted Hide Post
waterrat,

That is great! Thanks.
Gustavo ought to get some jollies from your post.
I sure did.
Big bear! tu2
Did you do any post mortem terminal ballistic study of the carcass?
Did the bullet exit or was it recovered?
clap
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
https://s19.postimg.org/i1xjo5xhf/DSC00538.jpg
This job alone made me a 458 believer! A hunter shot this fellow in the hump and kneecap giving me a follow up in the thickest crap around. My wife handling our Karelian led me straight to him after about 1/2 mile blood trailing for a potential charge and dispatch almost within spitting distance. 458WM w/ 500 Hornady RN@ 2050.

tu2
Rip

one of us
posted Hide Post
Copied from the "Experts" thread here:

quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of faith one places on how to sky dive based on the facts driveled forth by an online authority that has never actually stepped outside the plane.

It's no secret that Phil and I have been friends for quite some time. There is also no doubt that if Phil told me I'd be just fine hunting bears with him if the only rifle I had to kill a Brown Bear was a 30-06. We would likely suggest a bullet to use and that it was up to me to arrive with that bullet and be damn sure as to where that bullet would be directed.

I have never seen a Brown Bear but I'm also not stupid and would pay damn good attention to any facts given as Phil is an expert, a real one, not a wanna-be sitting above a worn out key board.

The same things applies to the lowly 458 Win. There are more than a few guys that have filled a couple of long train car loads using the std 458.

You don't like or want to use a 458, no problem, don't. But to continue this ridicules rant that it's a sorry caliber is pretty senseless.

So you used in once in Zim and had to shoot your Ele or Buff 8 times. Until you've killed a hundred Buffalo or Ele's with it you're an amateur. You may have an opinion but your still very new on the street. Only a very few of us are ever going to be able to afford to due a lot of regimented testing for true data samples.

Will somebody please tell Saeed he's under gunned because I'm tired of getting all those great vids from Tanzania. Using that 375/404 is no doubt going to get him killed 4 or 5 lifetimes from now.

There is stuff I read on this site repeatedly that just makes me scratch my bald head and chuckle.

But that's just me.

tu2
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks.

Posts: 1120 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Brian Herne had a 458 made that held 6 down plus one in the chamber. Allison and Carey of Portland did the work. I'd love to see how they did that as Brian specified it was not a drop-floor magazine, but was widened.

BaxterB,

The old Pre-'64 WinM70 box was wider, and held 4 down in .375 H&H compared to only 3 down with the later M70 Classic.
If they got 6 in the box without a drop belly stock or coffin floorplate,
they must have been doing a trapezoidal widening, wider at bottom of magazine, as well as wider at top too.
But that would probably require a wider than normal floorplate and probably some degree of "pocket plate" if not a full-blown "coffin."

We can do it with a CZ 550 Magnum and just a little, tiny, bit deeper floorplate from Wisner.

A 6+1 seven-shooter in .458 WinMag Longclaw 3.8" is in the works, awaiting the removal of its .458 Lott barrel.
tu2
Rip

Herne's 458 was built on a Mauser - not sure which derivation.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And i do believe Harry used the 458 only while the 416 was being re-barreled, which took quite a while. He sold the 416 about the time he was retiring so I don't think he used it much (if any) past that. Still, it did its job while he used it!

After he got the bill from Rigby for re-barreling that standard M98 .416 Rigby, he was happy to continue using that pushfeed M70 .458 WinMag,
lest he need another Rigby barrel before he could sell that museum piece.
His choice of cartridge, .458 WinMag, as the alternative, speaks volumes of prose.
tu2
Rip

Not exactly. He sent the Rigby back in the early 80's and said he resumed using it the minute it got back to him. It has been stated Harry did not use his rifle when it was returned to Bots, but this is not true. I have emails direct from Harry that confirm this.

In any case, the 458 is still a bad mamma jamma...

one of us
posted Hide Post
BaxterB,

OK, it was a joke on my part about Harry restoring his Rigby just so he could sell it for its provenance, at an even better price.
Wasn't funny, eh? Wink

A seven-shooter standard M98 Mauser .458 WinMag:
I have an FN Mauser in a standard, non-drop-belly stock, but with drop-belly bottom metal sticking out of the bottom ... like Saeed does with his .375/404 Jeffery Dakota M76.
hilbily
Yes, the .458 WinMag is bad to the bone.
tu2
Rip

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
BaxterB,

OK, it was a joke on my part about Harry restoring his Rigby just so he could sell it for its provenance, at an even better price.
Wasn't funny, eh? Wink

A seven-shooter standard M98 Mauser .458 WinMag:
I have an FN Mauser in a standard, non-drop-belly stock, but with drop-belly bottom metal sticking out of the bottom ... like Saeed does with his .375/404 Jeffery Dakota M76.
hilbily
Yes, the .458 WinMag is bad to the bone.
tu2
Rip

Ah - missed the ;-)

Herne describes it a bit in Uganda Safaris - "the magazine was not to protrude below the profile of the rifle, but was to be widened."

I tried to contact the builders but received no answer to phone or email messages. I'm curious about stuff like this...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rip

No one is claiming the 458 Winchester won't do the job Ron.

It would be interesting to know how many 458 Winchesters D'Arcy has made as compared to 458 Lotts and also 416 Remingtons.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never made a single Standard 458 Win Mag. in 35 plus years but only due to the fact that no one has ever asked for one.

I have made up many dozen Lott's. Most have been Legends using the current Post 64 claw extractor M-70. Longer than the Pre-64 it allows you to utilize that extra length to your advantage for 3.600 length cartridges if you were interested in the full-monty.

Most settled on 2150fps to 2175fps and stayed right there as it made 2nd and 3rd shot recovery much easier if required and generated less recoil which in turn allowed them to practice more often with the rifle before a hunt.

I've got nothing at all against the Std 458

Simple as that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never made a single Standard 458 Win Mag. in 35 plus years but only due to the fact that no one has ever asked for one.

I have made up many dozen Lott's. Most have been Legends using the current Post 64 claw extractor M-70. Longer than the Pre-64 it allows you to utilize that extra length to your advantage for 3.600 length cartridges if you were interested in the full-monty.

Most settled on 2150fps to 2175fps and stayed right there as it made 2nd and 3rd shot recovery much easier if required and generated less recoil which in turn allowed them to practice more often with the rifle before a hunt.

Simple as that.

That 2150 to 2175 will be easier to get with the Lott.

If you were making a Legend for yourself would you pick the 458 Win or 458 Lott?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you wanted to crimp ammo what tool would use to form a crimping groove on bullets.

If you mostly used ammo at standard 458 Win length you run risk of double feed with the 3.6" magazine box. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP deled his post as I was posting. That is why "quote" would not work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I answered .458 WinMag, of course, and then thought it was rather pompous of me to respond to the post in which you quoted D'Arcy and then asked the question.
Thought you might have been asking D'Arcy:

quote:
quote:

Simple as that.

That 2150 to 2175 will be easier to get with the Lott.

If you were making a Legend for yourself would you pick the 458 Win or 458 Lott?

tu2
Rip

one of us
posted Hide Post
DArcy,
Your post is a carbon copy of my earlier post, why would anyone not open up their old 458 to a Lott, it just makes since and like MIke said, it makes 2100 FPS a "Lott" easier and at a "lott" less pressure and "Lott" less compaction..

But like DArcy the 458 std. is a suitable DG rifle IMO, its just that the "Lott" and its kind, affords us a "Lott" more versatility.. tu2

And for those with more testosterone than and old dog like me, you can cook the Lott up to 2500 FPS with a 500 gr. bullet, give or take a little. I shot mine at 2400 FPS for the most part, some years later at 2175 and some years after that I sold the kicking sob.. dancing

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike,

I answered .458 WinMag, of course,

I know, I saw the post Big Grin and with 3.6" magazine.

As a side note when I clicked to Quote a box popped up saying something like ....no information available ..... I tried a couple of times so it stayed there for a while.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you wanted to crimp ammo what tool would use to form a crimping groove on bullets.

The CH4D CanTool, canneluring tool is perfect.

If you mostly used ammo at standard 458 Win length you run risk of double feed with the 3.6" magazine box. Smiler

I fear not a double-feed risk even with 3.4" ammo in a 3.8" box.
Of course I would generally be using Long-COL ammo in my Longclaw rifles.
I can feed and eject loaded 3.6" ammo in all my 3.4"-boxed rifles, off the top of the box,
and keep the box loaded with 3 shots of 500-grainers at 2200 fps as backup.
It is a double rifle.
A single shot that betters .375 H&H or .416 Rigby KE out to 300 yards, with light bullets,
and a bona fide STOPPER with 500-grainers at 2200 fps as a magazine repeater.

tu2
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes but are seeking perfection so you get a Legend.

Maybe you could get D'Arcy to make an extra long ejector for your 3.6" magazine 458 Winchester, just to be sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When Atkinson starts claiming the .458 Lott is capable of 2500 fps with 500-grainers,
you know he is railing against this fact:

The standard SAAMI .458 WinMag can do 2200 fps with 500 grainer,
at 2500 PSI LOWER PRESSURE than a standard SAAMI .458 Lott can do 2250 fps with same bullet.

It is all in the throat, and the handloader can work wonders with that .458 WinMag throat.
tu2
Rip

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes but are seeking perfection so you get a Legend.

Maybe you could get D'Arcy to make an extra long ejector for your 3.6" magazine 458 Winchester, just to be sure.

Mike,
You no longer dazzle with brilliance on this subject.
You are baffling with BS.
Your replies are much appreciated, however.
tu2
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No BS ... a 458 Win based on a 3.6" magazine instead of a Lott/Ackley is a fuck up.

What about crimping bullets?

D'Arcy has already said he has made dozens of 458 Lotts and because no one has wanted a 458 Winchester.

I would bet (D'Arcy can confirm or deny this) that blokes who buy the Echols Legend have been well into the rifle scene and for quite some time before getting a Legend. Two that I know were the late Allen Day and John S, both blokes way into the guns/ammo thing. In fact those blokes had a lot more than one Legend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Potty mouth is all you have on that argument? shame

Finn Aagaard is more appealing.

A Saint Finn Aagaard quote, referenced by Phil Shoemaker on the previous page,
regarding the bleating of American sheep about .458 WinMag factory ammo failures:

I experienced none. Never a misfire, squib load, failure to feed attributable to the cartriridge, or any such horror. It always did exactly what one would expect a 500 gr. .458 cal. bullet of .341 sectional density to do when propelled at 2000 fps---it put a bloody big hole in anything and penetrated very well, at least as well as the .375 H&H and probably slightly better.
This was with the full-metal-jacket Winchester "solid" ... I always used solids on buffalo, taking care not to hit a second animal should the bullet exit the intended quarry.

tu2
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Page 25 coming up..

I know, my previous post finished off Page 24 Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
And I thought I was finishing off page 24.
Deleted that quote after you quoted it.
You are too fast for me to keep up with.
tu2
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

A Saint Finn Aagaard quote, referenced by Phil Shoemaker on the previous page,
regarding the bleating of American sheep about .458 WinMag factory ammo failures:

I experienced none. Never a misfire, squib load, failure to feed attributable to the cartriridge, or any such horror. It always did exactly what one would expect a 500 gr. .458 cal. bullet of .341 sectional density to do when propelled at 2000 fps---it put a bloody big hole in anything and penetrated very well, at least as well as the .375 H&H and probably slightly better.
This was with the full-metal-jacket Winchester "solid" ... I always used solids on buffalo, taking care not to hit a second animal should the bullet exit the intended quarry.

That quote would be valid if we were talking about the 458 Winchester Vs the 460 Wby or the 450 Rigby/Dakota and because of action considerations, magazine capacity. Recoil is also an issue as loading those 3 back to 2150 constitutes quite a reduced load as opposed to a backed off load which applies to the Lott/Ackley.

Also, the Post 63 M70 was made longer than the Pre 64 to accommodate the 375 H&H cartridge length.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep,
.458 WinMag 500-grainer at 2000 fps is "quite a reduced load," not merely a "backed off load." Cool
tu2
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

When you get your 458 Win with 3.6" magazine off D'Arcy I think you need a match up.

Get from Weatherby a Safari but with special wood and the Krieger cut rifle barrel and action work and of course in 458 Win. They offer 458 Win.

That way you have the only Legend in 458 Win and the only customised Wby Safari in the whole world in 458 Win Big Grin

Another pair you should add is a full custom Wby in 9.3 X 62 and get an H&H bolt gun in 30/378 Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
RIP,, My bag of bullets from game only has 1 458, a 450 Woodleigh that raked a smallish bear @ about 150yds. I used a 425 Express for 20 years w/350X's and only recovered a few
, mostly from Texas heartshots on moose that had been niggled on, lots of moose taken in heavy timber and were shot in the antler while staring at us. Most bears are killed at very close range!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
RIP,, My bag of bullets from game only has 1 458, a 450 Woodleigh that raked a smallish bear @ about 150yds ...

waterrat,

Thanks. So the big bear shot with the 500-grain softpoint: The bullet exited, .458-cal hole going in, bigger hole through the vitals and going out.
About like Phil Shoemaker's results with either 500-grain softpoint at +2000 fps impact speed,
or 400-gr X-Bullet at how much faster impact?
tu2
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still a fair way behind the 400 Whelen thread.

On Australia's biggest guns/hunting site there was a real 400 Whelen thread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still a fair way behind the 400 Whelen thread.

Not for long.
Behold the March 1984 AMERICAN RIFLEMAN article that lead to my .458 WinMag Ruger No.1 purchase from John Wall Mercantile, Blairstown, MO.
This is the earliest .458 WinMag article by Finn Aagaard that I am aware of.
It is the source of the "bloody big hole" quote.
It was reprinted in the 1990 NRA Publications book: Finn Aagaard on Hunting Rifles & Cartridges
pp. 187-192
An excerpt of that book is presented below for book review purposes.
Book Review: Excellent book.

tu2
Rip

one of us
posted Hide Post
From a time when the .450 Watts was not as obscure as Jack Lott claimed it was:

one of us
posted Hide Post