New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

We have had only one die of the Wuhan Woohoo in my Kentucky county, so far.
Yes, people in Kentucky have relatives come to visit, from New York and California and even Seattle.
Ontario has visitors too, eh?
Why, I have been to Toronto 3 times myself.
What a beautiful, clean city !
And they have those huge black squirrels all over the place !
Trophy Squirrels !

BTW: I got word from Barnes, by email, they said they had no plans to make a .458/ 400-gr TSX "this year."
Will copy and paste the email ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Despite the claim of Tim Sundle of Buffalo Bore, relayed by Phil Shoemaker, the 400-gr TSX in .458 caliber is still below the horizon.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************
RE: [EXTERNAL] 400-grain .458 TSX
Mon, Mar 30, 2020 12:22 pm
Farr, Ryan (RyanF@barnesbullets.com)
To:you Details

Ronald

We have no plans of building a .458 400 gr. TSX this year but will be happy to submit a request for one on your behalf.

Thank You

Ryan Farr | Tech Support/Consumer Services Lead
Barnes Bullets, LLC

Barnes Bullets disclaims all possible liability for damages including actual, incidental and consequential, resulting from usage of the information or advice contained in this message.
Use the data and advice at your own risk, and with extreme caution.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Always begin loading from the minimum "START” charge and carefully develop loads by increasing in small increments of 2% towards the Maximum load.

38 North Frontage Road, PO Box 620, Mona, UT 84645
Phone 435-856-1000 | Fax 435-856-1040
*****************************************************************************************************************************************

As Bob suggested previously, anybody with a .458-caliber rifle ought to contact Barnes Bullets and request a ".458 400 gr. TSX."
Bug them enough and they might do it !
Use contact info in email above.
Lottites welcome to do so also. Wink

During the interim, Bubba Bullet Metamorphosis Technology, LLC is still operational but has very limited production of the .458/ 400-gr TSiX,
until the Barnes .458/ 400-gr TSX arrives.
Roll Eyes
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I noted some slight shrinkage of THE MISSION on page 192.
ALF deleted his last post there, though it was copied by me before it disappeared.
Alf has been negatively critical of practices of THE MISSIONARIES,
even though he owns multiple .458 WIN rifles and zero .458 Lott rifles.
That verges on HYPOCRITICISM.

THE MISSION continues.
In interest of supporting THE MISSION, I return to page one of THE MISSION,
also inspired by the thought of Toronto squirrels:

quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut (July 5, 2017):
Go with a Lott if you want more velocity. 2,300 with a 500 gr bullet is easy with no pressure concerns.

Hardly ! To stay below the 62,500 PSI SAAMI MAP of the .458 Lott with 3.600" maximum COL,
2250 fps MV with 500-grain bullet is more realistic.

You're pushing the top end to get more than 2,100 with a Win Mag and it will possibly be overpressure if you are in a hot environment.

animal
The SAAMI MAP "top end" for the .458 Winchester Magnum is 60,000 PSI, with 3.340" maximum COL per SAAMI.
You will be right on 2200 fps MV with a 500-grainer at 3.340" COL if you ever get there.
And you will still be 2,500 PSI lower in pressure than the .458 Lott MAP.

THROAT
THROAT
THROAT

It is no wonder that the .458 WIN trounces the .458 Lott with any bullet that can be loaded to 3.600" and 62,500 PSI in both of them.
Apples to apples.

I think that the mild factory loads of the .458 WIN are due to the recoil-intolerant not liking the full power loads.
The masses prefer to purchase the lighter loads.

Lottites fear the .458 WIN because it is so much more powerful than a SAAMI .458 Lott.

To paraphrase Bob, we have turned on the light of truth and the naysayers scurried away.
The naysayers:
M R like cockroaches.
M R like moles to be whacked whenever they pop up.
Actually, they whack themselves whenever they get together.
A bunch of .458 Lottites is a bunch of whackoffs.
hammering
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Tim assures me he has the 400 gr TSX bullets and has shipped them to my King Salmon address. So I would have them for this seasons spring bear season. Which is looking like it won't happen.

And I also have that photo of the hunter with the bear and have wondered about it. It look similar to Joe Want, who worked with Pinnell and Tallifson before guiding on his own for over 30 years.
But Will Troyer, the long time Kodiak bear biologist and who Jim Reardon referred to as "Alaska's brown bear man" does look similar.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
Thanks for all that.
Maybe a large custom run for Buffalo Bore ?
Beta testing by Shoemaker ?
Regular stock someday ?
Please do let us know when you get some.
Send a photo and I will post it,
For THE MISSION.

Joe Want, Will Troyer ... I'll look through my Kodiak stuff.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 grains is a really good weight as it does well from the 458 3.3 COL to a 460.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was intending to develop a load for these bullets, but I'm afraid to use them now since they don't make them anymore!

Posts: 118 | Location: SC | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Mt Elliott,
If you plan to stop using the NF bullets, please just ship them to me and I will add them to my meager supply and see that they are properly used.

I can get these up to around 2200 fps in my .45-90 / AKA .45 2.4. Since they usually make one shot kills, they should last for a long time.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Mt Elliott,
If you plan to stop using the NF bullets, please just ship them to me and I will add them to my meager supply and see that they are properly used.

I can get these up to around 2200 fps in my .45-90 / AKA .45 2.4. Since they usually make one shot kills, they should last for a long time.

Smiler

First, I need to ascertain whose supply is more meager! How slowly can I use these NFs and still be considered as having not stopped using them?

A general question for everyone on here: Do you consider a good expanding 400 grain bullet the best all-around compromise bullet for everything except African dangerous game, or is there another weight that is more versatile for .458 caliber rifles?

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
A general question for everyone on here: Do you consider a good expanding 400 grain bullet the best all-around compromise bullet for everything except African dangerous game, or is there another weight that is more versatile for .458 caliber rifles?

Mr Elliott, that is such a good question, that deserves to be a topic of its own!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcelliott:
I was intending to develop a load for these bullets, but I'm afraid to use them now since they don't make them anymore!

I still have a box of those as well as some 450 vrs. They are some of the very best ever.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

North Fork are being made by a Swedish firm now. Hopefully they keep the line as expansive and will include these.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

North Fork are being made by a Swedish firm now. Hopefully they keep the line as expansive and will include these.

Wow, I had no idea they were bought. Took a look at the website...Looks like there will be one re-seller in North America. Let's hope these bullets are available again soon!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just my thoughts: Because I won't be facing Cape Buffalo anytime soon, nor brown bear, it's likely that my preferences for an all-rounder would be personal. I've used 400s and 405s, plus a 465 semi-hard cast in my .45-70s with GREAT results. In a .458 I've tended toward 350s, including the TSX, at higher speeds. That was to give greater effective range. However, most of the two Barnes' boxes of the 400-X were used in various trials and I didn't have enough left to develop a good load for a moose hunt "Up North", so I went with the 350-TSX at 2700 - 2750 fps.

Yet, prior to that hunt I'd talked with Dave at Barnes who said they weren't making a 400gr TSX. I asked "why?", and he said, "Not enough sales." I still had a few of the 400-X's, but not enough to develop a load and sight-in, and feel confident with less than 1/2 dozen for a hunt in the "far north". So, I went with the 350 TSXs.

As to the question posed by bcelliott: As previously mentioned, I'd prefer a 400gr with good characteristics of construction and profile over anything else for general purpose hunting in Ontario for anything from wolf to moose. I prefer one bullet and one load so as not to have to think about it. And I've contacted Hornady in that regard, and they'd like more requests to give some "teeth" to it! But that would be boring from a handloader's perspective.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 845 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
With respect to being a tough, slow expanding bullet, how does the NF SS compare to the Woodleigh Weldcore?
Some say the Weldcore is best for Cape Buffalo and solids are not needed. My only such experience with the .411 400 grain Weldcore was excellent.

If the NF SS is as good as the Weldcore, then does it obviate the need for solids except for ele?

For what it is worth, I like and use both brands of bullets. The .411 300 grain NF solids turn my .405 WCF into a giant killer.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
On the elusive 400 grain all-around bullet for .458"--

Yes, it would be hard to design a better all around bullet that would penetrate well on larger game and be able to generate enough velocity for reasonable hunting 0 to 300-400 yards (2450-2800fps). GSCustom has already designed that bullet with driving bands that will enhance velocity and with homogenous contruction to enhance penetration.

Of course, we need to ask how that would translate into little sister calibers like .416" and .375".

A 400 grain "perfect" bullet in .458" would work out to 330 grains in .416". And sure enough, GSCustom already has a 330 grain HV bullet in .416".

A 400 grain "perfect" bullet in .458" would work out to 268 grains in .375". And sure enough, GSCustom already has a 265 grain HV in .375". (But my wife has choosen the 200grain in .375", ignoring buffalo.)

So there you have it. Three great all around bullets for .375", .416", and .458". A hunter just needs to choose the amount of pushback they are willing to pay for any increase in diameter, and to choose the velocity that they prefer for all around hunting.

Generated muzzle energies at velocities suggested by GSCustom are 4700 ft# 375 Ruger (at 2825fps), 5250 ft# 416 Ruger (at 2675fps), and 5350 ft# 458 Win (at 2450fps).

A second thought that does not apply to many dangerous game hunters might be the carrying weight and the dollar cost of the platform. The Ruger African and Ruger Guide Gun are limited to .375" and .416". For elk in the US, I would probably opt for a 338WM (225gn TTSX at 2835fps, or 213gn HammerHunter at 2935fps), but it would be hard not to like the 416 Ruger for 70 yr-olds in Africa.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the GS Custom bullets are not available this side of the border. And, I doubt that even if they were the cost would be almost impossible for the general hunter who wants to use his .458 as a "general purpose" firearm.

Nice for Africa, and those who can afford it, but as I see it, and have expressed it, I'm thinking of "anything from wolf to moose", and throw in some b. bears. Barnes' TSX's are affordable, and likely Hornady if they produced a 400gr/.458 in the fashion of their 286gr/9.3. I'd have no qualms on using a 400gr Hornady SP-RP at +2500 fps on a bull moose with a BC of close to .400. I'm not a trophy hunter per se, so I don't normally shoot BG in the shoulder. It may happen, but not my first inclination.

I shot one bear with the 286/9.3 as it was going away from me. MV was +2400, impact was +2300. It entered just in front of right hip as it was looping through tall grass. It took out 9 - 10 inches of spine and disappeared somewhere well beyond the bear. No bullet fragments left behind. It had been shot twice by my young friend crippling two legs, one front and one rear on opposite sides, so it wasn't going very fast -- I caught up to about 15' while it was still trying to get away through the 30" tall grass.

I, personally, would be happy if Hornady came up with a similar 400gr in .458. The 350 FPs and RNs apparently work quite well on larger deer at around 1900 fps MV, but the range is limited with a BC of only .195 for the FP and .189 for the RN. I've a box of each, but the 350 FP lost its core after only 4.5" penetration in my test media setup. On the other hand, the 350 TSX's (2 of 'em) went completely through the 15.5" test media. To put that in perspective, the 500gr Speer GS at 1700 fps impact only made 6.5" penetration and lost it's front core. I still have a bunch of 350 TSX's, and perhaps don't need more than that for anything. But a 400 TSX would retain it's velocity better for longer range shooting as in a moose hunt. And the recoil would be more tolerable than a 450gr, I think.

From the 450 Swift, I get +2400, but it has a poor BC. The 450 TSX is better in that regard.

From the standpoint of penetration and long range effect, it would be hard to beat the 480 DGX by Hornady in my view. At an impact of around 1750 fps, it acted like a solid in my setup, penetrating through the 15.5" media and impacting a ledge behind leaving a perfect .458" imprint. Even if it impacted a big beast at 1200 fps, it would go completely through it, and a .458 with a flat point through any animal isn't going to leave it in a healthy condition. The challenge would be trajectory.

My view from here.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 845 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of badboymelvin
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

Here are a couple of fired projectiles that I've kept that completely penetrated a large gum tree at a range of about 15 meters.

I'll never forget this occasion because it was the first time I EVER fired a .458!
The largest rifle I had ever fired before this was a .303 British.
And when I fired the .458 I flinched so hard I nearly threw the rifle out of my arms!

These are the 2 510gn SuperX factory ammo projectiles that were fired out of a hogsback CZ550 with the 25" barrel.
Velocity would've been around 2000fps...

On a drizzly day, myself and my brother-in-law fired 2 shots at a large gum tree about 15 meters away.
When we walked up to the tree to checked out the damage, we found one of the projectiles laying on the ground a few inches behind the tree.
And when I pulled the bark off the back of the same tree, the second projectile fell out!

So there you go, not very scientific - but I think still pretty impressive performance from a factory soft point in the cheapest ammo I could get...

Cheers,

Russ

EDIT! - I have just weighed the 2 projectiles (I can't believe I've never done this before!) and they weighed in at 450.2gns and 490.7gn respectively.
Absolutely FANTASTIC performance in my opinion considering the cost...

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Posts: 160 | Location: Melbourne, Australia  | Registered: 19 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swedish North Fork Bullets website, googled:

https://www.northforkbullets.com/

"We will start up production as soon as possible. The Corona Virus make the start little more complicated. We have many different calibers and weights and to make the right decision with caliber we should focus on directly we would appreciate if you send your wants to order@northforkbullets.com write your name and country caliber, weight and bullet type. This is not a order its just to help us take right decision so we can support you as fast as possible with the caliber and weight you want. Thanks for your help "

Proposed Canada/USA "Reseller":

http://www.reloadinginternational.com/

"As always, we strive to provide the greatest selection of bullet manufacturers on the web. We have added Bart's Bullets, Cutting Edge, Lehigh, and David Tubbs's DTAC bullets.
We try to make the export process as painless as possible. The best way to find answers to many questions about international shipping, import documentation, the export process, and country-specific requirements is to click our links at the bottom left. You can also contact us at 541-636-0966 or by email at Info@ReloadingInternational.com.
US Customers
We are happy to satisfy the shooting needs of our U.S. Customers. We have a flat $8 shipping charge for order shipped to US addresses (some oversized items will be excluded.)"

Promising. Send your wish list to Sweden.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Range of expanding-bullet weights useful in the .458 WIN: 250-grain monos to 550-grain Woodleigh Weldcore.
Mean: 400 grains, decisively best choice for the undecided, as well as the decided. Wink

A .458/ 400-grain North Fork Soft Point at 2500 fps ought to be more than adequate for anything except elephant or blue whale.
Use a solid on those.

I do have experience with the .423/ 380-grain NF SP at 2500 fps MV from a 404 Jeffery, on a bison.
One shot kill.
I expect the .458/ 400-gr NF SP at 2500 fps MV would be very similar.

Oddly large entrance wound on hide (a quarter,25 cent piece, for size reference):

Maybe because rib fragments exploded outward, unless bullet expanded on hide !
Similar size and shape of entrance wound through a rib:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet recovered under the hide of the off side:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet broke a rib on each side of the bison, double lunged with large volume of both lungs destroyed.
It was spewing blood out of entrance wound, ran a few steps and fell over dead.

I would prefer this bullet over a Woodleigh Weldcore.
Expansion stops at solid shank.
Mushroomed lead adheres well to petals of nose.
There is no upper limit on velocity for the North Fork soft point bullet, in a man-portable, sporting rifle.
An impact that would turn the Woodleigh Weldcore into a pancake,
will only fold back the North Fork nose petals into a smaller frontal diameter,
allowing good penetration at high impact velocities with great tissue resistance,
as well as the lower velocity impacts where tissue resistance is less, and frontal area of bullet may be greater.
It's a reliable killer, eh ?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, my local public range is closed too.
CRYBABY
One more picture of Jim Rearden, from his book, TALES OF ALASKA'S BIG BEARS, this one 20 years after the Unknown Bear Head Packer of 1957:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the action on the Winchester Model 70 safari express longer than the regular action
for caliber like the 309-06 or 7 mm magnum

Posts: 121 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 January 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by canuck4570:
is the action on the Winchester Model 70 safari express longer than the regular action
for caliber like the 309-06 or 7 mm magnum

Glad you got your answer on the other thread.
I am tardy.
Yes, externally same action.
to go from standard length to H&H length,
just unblock the magazine box at back,
shorten the bolt-stop/ejector,
and open the ejection port rearward (at top and side of rear bridge)
for best clearance in loading and unloading live rounds.

This rear scope base on a .416 Rem.Mag. M70 Safari Express will fit either action by choosing the correctly spaced screw holes:
The shortened rear bridge top requires the shorter hole spacing, 0.330" as you said on the other thread.

Also note, the back end of the long extractor is exposed when the bridge is cut back, to open the ejection/loading port rearward.

Why I was tardy to reply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbX6-528IrQ

The wrap-around Solar Shields complete the outfit.

It is reported that a one-layer thickness of paper towel between two layers of cotton fabric makes a good barrier to protect the individual from inhaling virus, or spewing virus,
assuming a good seal around the edges.
A beard interferes with that.
Shave beard to goatee.
Use duct tape and malleable metal strip embedded in/on the home-made mask.
Get creative.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of badboymelvin
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

FOR THE MISSION!!!

I found this little summary on northwestmagnum.com and I thought you might like it...

458 Winchester Magnum

"Hardly any cartridge has had so much bad press over the past couple of decades. At first, the relatively compact 458 Winchester Magnum went to Africa and performed splendidly. It compared pretty much across the board with several older British cartridges. At greater pressure in a smaller case, the belted 458 could be racked through a Winchester Model 70 to nicely handle Cape buffalo and anything else. Here was an affordable combination that put a dangerous game safari into the reach of more than just the wealthy. Just for reference, the cartridge shot (and still shoots) a 500-grain bullet out of the muzzle at about 2000 to 2100 fps. If that seems sluggish, imagine the 40-grain 22 magnum at 1900 fps. The 500 gets down the street mighty fast.

Here's the rub... Winchester obviously had their reasons for choosing to fit the 458 into a standard-length action. I suspect they did a lot of testing and were impressed with the remarkable accuracy. (It's no big job to shoot a Mickey Mouse-faced, three-shot group at 100 yards from a well-tuned rifle.) But, to achieve that approximately 5000 foot-pounds of muzzle energy of the old British cartridges, most any suitable powder had to be compressed beneath the lengthy bullet. Some powders tend to become a bit tacky in very hot weather, and the individual grains bond together like candy in a sack in similar weather. The primer needs to produce a flash that will engulf each grain of powder in fire, which it cannot do to a gummy mess. The result is an incomplete firing of the powder charge, and reduced velocity. That's probably what happened to the old, repeatedly overheated cartridges Jack Lott was using when he pissed off a Cape buffalo that day in Africa. From then on, bashing the 458 Winchester Magnum has become a sport in and of itself. The sport stops here.

I have had my share of 458 Winchester Magnums, 458 Lotts, and 460 Weatherbys. I like them all. However, for most jobs, I recommend the 458 Winchester Magnum in Winchester's remarkably underpriced and extraordinarily rugged Model 70 Safari Express. For people who prefer to hunt the Alaskan brown bear in all kinds of nasty weather, I'd suggest Remington's Custom Shop Safari KS in stainless steel. Here's where I depart from the norm…

I don't use 500-grain bullets in my hand loads of recent years. Instead, I choose the Swift 450-grain A-Frame. For powder, I have used four with excellent results: H 322, H 4895, IMR 4895, and IMR 3031. Velocities run in the 2250 to 2300 fps range. The nicely shaped Swift has a ballistic Coefficient of .325, while most 500-grain soft point bullets run under .300. The sectional density is still a very acceptable .307.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not "fed up" by all of the low-end blather about the 458 Win Mag. I kind of enjoy it; great spectator sport. I simply figure that most folks who hop on the bash wagon have no experience whatsoever with the cartridge, and this helps me to sort out the B.S. gun writers from those who have a clue. It also can help to identify those who take appropriate care of their ammunition, which does not mean to follow the example of Jack Lott. You have to have some kind of an idea as to which powder types can get sticky in bad weather, and avoid using them in compressed loads.

The 458 Winchester Magnum has been around since 1956, and will likely still be producing fine results with amazing accuracy for decades to come. Some people go to Alaska and look for the big bear with rifles that I regard to be marginal, like a 338 or 375. Imagine whatever you like in your mind. Imagine that the bear will be in this or that position, and that you'll raise up your trusty Red Ryder and fill him full of lead. Enjoy the vision. Avoid thinking that it might not happen the way of your dreams. Avoid thinking that the bear will be in the rough stuff that you can hardly see through, and that it's raining or snowing. Avoid the thought that he will be right there, right then, mad as hell from the 30-06 wound he got from some idiot four days ago. When he does show up, will you be equipped to knock him down with the one shot you're likely to get?"

JDC

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Posts: 160 | Location: Melbourne, Australia  | Registered: 19 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not used to this site so my thread ended up somewhere else
but reading this 193 page thread its clear to see that all the gurus are here
by the way I forgot this one the Remimgton KS but kept having feeding issues with it
you are correct on saying the model 70 express is accurate
my firs 458 was a push feed model 70 this was in the 80's and with a RCBS 405 gr. cast it shot like you said Mickey Mouse group at 100 yards and I remember it was with 59 gr of IMR 3031

here is my sako brown bear 450 Rigby mounted with a Aimpoint hunter dot sight
love that sight and when I get the express this will got on it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
not used to this site so my thread ended up somewhere else
but reading this 193 page thread its clear to see that all the gurus are here
by the way I forgot this one the Remimgton KS but kept having feeding issues with it
you are correct on saying the model 70 express is accurate
my firs 458 was a push feed model 70 this was in the 80's and with a RCBS 405 gr. cast it shot like you said Mickey Mouse group at 100 yards and I remember it was with 59 gr of IMR 3031

here is my sako brown bear 450 Rigby mounted with a Aimpoint hunter dot sight
love that sight and when I get the express this will got on it

canuck4570,

What end of Canada do you find yourself, or perhaps near the middle? I'm from the east end, the Maritime Provinces, N.B. until we moved to Quebec in my mid-twenties --the Eastern Townships and Montreal. Then to the big cities of Ontario in 1975. Been here since except for a short stint in Nova Scotia in the eighties. Returned to Ontario, 1987, in the Kawartha Lakes region where we've continuously lived since. Better hunting and outdoor living. Great hunting one hour to the north.

Your handle reminds me of my email: 4570fan@Gmail.com. So I take it that you are also a fan of the .45-70 and .458 Win. Welcome to this thread! There are several excellent contributors here, notably RIP among them who has keep this theme alive. Looking forward to your participation.

I love the pic of those Sako 85s. Have coveted one in the Black Bear 9.3 x 62.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Ile Bizard near Montreal
for the 4570 fan here is my Ruger no1 in 4570
it has a modified ramp to mount a scout scope
this way the loading port is free and it solved the eye relief these Ruger have
the scope is a Burris scout scope 2x7 with ballistic plex

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a donkey for that, Russ.
My critigue in red:
quote:
Originally posted by badboymelvin:
Hey guys,

FOR THE MISSION!!!

I found this little summary on northwestmagnum.com and I thought you might like it...

458 Winchester Magnum

"Hardly any cartridge has had so much bad press over the past couple of decades. At first, the relatively compact 458 Winchester Magnum went to Africa and performed splendidly. It compared pretty much across the board with several older British cartridges. At greater pressure in a smaller case,
Author should have mentioned that SAAMI MAP for .458 WIN is 2,500 psi less than SAAMI MAP for .458 Lott, a minor point.
the belted 458 could be racked through a Winchester Model 70 to nicely handle Cape buffalo and anything else. Here was an affordable combination that put a dangerous game safari into the reach of more than just the wealthy. Just for reference, the cartridge shot (and still shoots) a 500-grain bullet out of the muzzle at about 2000 to 2100 fps.
That is a bit dated. Nowadays the factory fodder and noncompressed handloads do 2100 to 2200 fps.
If that seems sluggish, imagine the 40-grain 22 magnum at 1900 fps. The 500 gets down the street mighty fast.

Here's the rub... Winchester obviously had their reasons for choosing to fit the 458 into a standard-length action. I suspect they did a lot of testing and were impressed with the remarkable accuracy. (It's no big job to shoot a Mickey Mouse-faced, three-shot group at 100 yards from a well-tuned rifle.)
clap We are not often enough reminded of the accuracy potential of the .458 WIN, since Elmer Keith first spotted it during the last century.
But, to achieve that approximately 5000 foot-pounds of muzzle energy of the old British cartridges, most any suitable powder had to be compressed beneath the lengthy bullet.
But do not forget that even in 1956 the H. P. White lab data showed the 500-gr WRA FMJ-RN, 3.340" COL,
getting 2160 fps in a 25" barrel of .4582" groove diameter with a NON-compressed charge of 71.0 grains of HiVel #2,
and comfortably Sub-SAAMI-MAP.

Some powders tend to become a bit tacky in very hot weather, and the individual grains bond together like candy in a sack in similar weather. The primer needs to produce a flash that will engulf each grain of powder in fire, which it cannot do to a gummy mess. The result is an incomplete firing of the powder charge, and reduced velocity. That's probably what happened to the old, repeatedly overheated cartridges Jack Lott was using when he pissed off a Cape buffalo that day in Africa. From then on, bashing the 458 Winchester Magnum has become a sport in and of itself. The sport stops here.
Jack Lott gut shot that cape buffalo, before it separated Jack from his rifle.
PH Wally Johnson, after emptying his .375 H&H, grabbed Jack's .458 WIN rifle off the ground
and finished off the very determined buffalo savaging Jack.
That was in 1959, and visiting hunter Jack Lott probably had fresh-as-a-daisy ammo that
did close to the claimed 2125 fps with 500- & 510-grainers from the factory.
For THE MISSION, I wish we could get some dates on when the various reports of faulty .458 WIN factory ammo presented.

I have had my share of 458 Winchester Magnums, 458 Lotts, and 460 Weatherbys. I like them all. However, for most jobs, I recommend the 458 Winchester Magnum in Winchester's remarkably underpriced and extraordinarily rugged Model 70 Safari Express. For people who prefer to hunt the Alaskan brown bear in all kinds of nasty weather, I'd suggest Remington's Custom Shop Safari KS in stainless steel. Here's where I depart from the norm…

I don't use 500-grain bullets in my hand loads of recent years. Instead, I choose the Swift 450-grain A-Frame. For powder, I have used four with excellent results: H 322, H 4895, IMR 4895, and IMR 3031.
I particularly like his first two powder choices H322 and H4895,
I would forget the IMR-4895, and substitute BENCHMARK for the IMR-3031,
and of course add AA-2230 and AA-2460 to the list.

Velocities run in the 2250 to 2300 fps range. The nicely shaped Swift has a ballistic Coefficient of .325, while most 500-grain soft point bullets run under .300. The sectional density is still a very acceptable .307.
The Swift A-Frames are fair dinkum, but a bit sticky and raise pressure/lower velocity attainable
when compared to some other bullets of same weight.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not "fed up" by all of the low-end blather about the 458 Win Mag. I kind of enjoy it; great spectator sport. I simply figure that most folks who hop on the bash wagon have no experience whatsoever with the cartridge, and this helps me to sort out the B.S. gun writers from those who have a clue.
clap That was another highlight of this piece.
It also can help to identify those who take appropriate care of their ammunition, which does not mean to follow the example of Jack Lott.
Poor Jack gets the blame for something he probably did not do.
This adds insult to injury.
It is bad enough that his name is associated with the SAAMI-bastardization of his not-so-original wildcat.

You have to have some kind of an idea as to which powder types can get sticky in bad weather, and avoid using them in compressed loads.

The 458 Winchester Magnum has been around since 1956, and will likely still be producing fine results with amazing accuracy for decades to come.
AMEN !
Some people go to Alaska and look for the big bear with rifles that I regard to be marginal, like a 338 or 375. Imagine whatever you like in your mind. Imagine that the bear will be in this or that position, and that you'll raise up your trusty Red Ryder and fill him full of lead. Enjoy the vision. Avoid thinking that it might not happen the way of your dreams. Avoid thinking that the bear will be in the rough stuff that you can hardly see through, and that it's raining or snowing. Avoid the thought that he will be right there, right then, mad as hell from the 30-06 wound he got from some idiot four days ago. When he does show up, will you be equipped to knock him down with the one shot you're likely to get?"

JDC

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a donkey for this too:
quote:
... for the 4570 fan here is my Ruger no1 in 4570

I had never thought of that.
Would be great on a .458 WIN Ruger No.1 also, of course !
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Until the Barnes TSX .458/ 400-gr void is filled,
and even afterwards,
the Woodleigh .458/ 400-gr PP SN has a BC of 0.340 and length of only 1.152",
approved for impacts of 1900 to 2500 fps.
The Woodleigh manual has loads for it using
H322 aka AR2219:
68.5 grains >>> 2210 fps
76.0 grains (C) >>> 2400 fps
That is for SAAMI COL and MAP.

Pair that with the monometal brass Woodleigh .458/ 400-gr HYDRO at same velocity. BOL = 1.240" without cap, 1.389" with cap.

One bullet weight for anything including elephant brain shooting up close and plains game and varmints.

A 400-gr TSX would also work well with that 400-gr HYDRO.
Loading a little longer than 3.340" COL and less highly pressured than the .458 Lott should allow +2500 fps MV for the long shots with 400-grainers.

Maybe a 2400 fps load with the HYDRO for close range,
and a 2500 fps load with the PP-SN or TSX for long range.
That could make for an interesting pair of points of impact.

There is something to be said for a shorter length of solid bullet for increased stability in an elephant skull.
And the lighter weight bullet (400-gr) will be appreciated in the lighter weight rifle:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
put this on your Ruger No1
this is my Ruger No 1 in 44 magnum
it has a Aimpoint hunter series dot sight
no modification

one of us
posted Hide Post
AH HA! Clear loading port again.
That is excellent.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweet:

When I was just a kid with a new .458 WIN to play with, getting 2400 fps MV with a 400-grain bullet, and 24" barrel, was the dream I chased with IMR-4198.
It was not easy.
IMR-4198 is not, was not the ideal powder for this.
The old Barnes Original .458/ 400-grainer was too soft a bullet for serious use at 2400 fps MV, other than for paper targets and chronographing.
Swift A-Frame .458/ 400-grainers were slow, sticky bullets that were prone to pressure signs at 2400 fps.

Now, +2500 fps MV is attainable with 400-grainers from a 24"-barreled .458 WIN without pressure signs.
That is done with plenty powders nowadays, and the plenty .458/ 400-gr bullets are tough enough, if you can find some !

https://www.northforkbullets.com

http://www.reloadinginternational.com

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I live in Ile Bizard near Montreal
for the 4570 fan here is my Ruger no1 in 4570

We spent a year in Sherbrooke in study of the French language. Later to Ville LaSalle for about two years before moving to Chateauguay Centre, SW of Montreal.

I was a big fan of the Ruger No.1 in .45-70. I've owned two, and after a year or so had the throat of the last one lengthened so as to seat bullets longer than standard by .30" making it the equal of a 22", .458 Win Mag. It was my favourite rifle for 20 years. About one year ago it was traded for a Ruger No.1 Tropical in .458 Win Mag. I didn't need better ballistics, as I was already getting up to 2200 fps from 500s, and +2300 from the 450gr Swift, but the recoil was getting a bit too much for my age. And concern for my one good eye persuaded me to trade it for basically the same ballistics in a heavier Ruger No.1. If you've read these pages you already know all that anyway. It's also Mag-Na-Ported, so that helps mitigate recoil as well.

It' was simply a practical matter, not fear of recoil. And I was a big fan of the .458 Win Mag anyway.

Enjoy your time here, and continue to contribute your experiences and thoughts.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca