Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
I gotta go now and find a fresh can of A2460. I dumped my old one that dates to at least 2005.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Yep, Western Powders claims reformulation in 2016 for thermal stability improvement.
It's a little faster than H4895 burn rate, and more compact.
A little bit slower than H335 and same good compaction.
I still SWAG that AA-2230 is just a more-flattened-balls version of AA-2460's more spherical balls.
And there are so many other AR-15/.458WM/TRUMP-suitable powders to be tested.
THE MISSION has a long way to go.
But first, from me will be the H4895 "reduced loads" with 400- to 600-grainers.
patriot
.458 TRUMP
Truly Realized Ultimate Magnum Perfection
.458 Winchester Magnum Perfection
Nota bene: In maxima potentia parvum spatium.
Id venit et vicit omnis.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF,
Yours is an interesting take on leftists, but my take is that most of them are just stupid, and you cannot fix stupid.
patriot
.458 TRUMP
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I wish I could agree with you Rip but I know stupid doesn’t cover it. I have watched brilliant young people turn into intolerant leftists and CTF is right about there being common denominators. It has always been evil that corrupts the mind of mankind.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, leftists are stupid or evil, due to nature or nurture. That usually covers it all.
.458 TRUMP
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
I gotta go now and find a fresh can of A2460. I dumped my old one that dates to at least 2005.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Yep, Western Powders claims reformulation in 2016 for thermal stability improvement.
It's a little faster than H4895 burn rate, and more compact.
A little bit slower than H335 and same good compaction.
I still SWAG that AA-2230 is just a more-flattened-balls version of AA-2460's more spherical balls.
And there are so many other AR-15/.458WM/TRUMP-suitable powders to be tested.
THE MISSION has a long way to go.
But first, from me will be the H4895 "reduced loads" with 400- to 600-grainers.
patriot
.458 TRUMP
Id venit et vicit omnis.

RIP;

In all my hunting and reloading years I've never owned a rifle cartridge with the potential of the .458 Win. In some ways I feel like I'm just getting started. In terms of styles and weights of bullets on my shelves I count 27, and I might have missed one or two. Then there are a few others that I no longer have in stock.

As mentioned, in the spring I have one project to test all 400s with the load I've put together for the fall bear hunt - 75 grains RL-15. Also a trial of 75 grains RL-17 for a slower MV of around 1700 - 1800 fps of the 405 Remington.

Right now plans are in the making for a spring bear hunt. I have a new partner - a Serb whom I met at the range. He wants me to guide him in a bear hunt. He's a Canadian who writes for a Serbian hunting/shooting mag., and a fan of the 9.3 x 62.

All the best to you in the New Year. And thanks for all the work you do for the .458 Win Mag. I still have about 200 hardcast 465 and 470s that I want to get some accuracy from somewhere between 1700 to 2100 fps. They were made for my .45-70s and shot very well from a Marlin and a NEF single-shot. Unfortunately, being hardcast (not swelling in the bore) and .458", it's a challenge to find the right node. But I did manage that in the former CZ550 at over 2200 fps. Not MOA, but close. So, I'm going to work on that in 2021, the LORD willing.

I've greatly appreciated that you share your expertise with the rest of us. Sincerely, for your generosity as well over the two years I've gotten to know you.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 846 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Flattery will get you anywhere.

Arise, Sir Bob, Knight of the Four Five Eight, for you too have earned the tap on the shoulders with the Sword of Santa Claus (aka Sword of Santa Clarita Diet).
Being the most senior pioneering member of THE MISSION, you shall be canonized as Saint Bob (and your ashes cannonized too if you like)
if you should ever pass on to The Happy Hunting Ground.
Sir Jerry has already requested a 16" Naval gun fired at the commies with his ashes between the bags of BP and at least a ton of projectile.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/16-50_gun_facts.html

Now for a motion on nomenclature.
I suggest that the .458 TRUMP be called the ".458 WIN TRUMP."
This clarifies its relationship to the .458 Winchester Magnum,
as well as hinting at the prayers of any good person of this world with basic common sense and sensory awareness.
Shorthand:
".458 WM" is for SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum.
".458 WT" is for wildcat .458 WIN TRUMP.
The motion is passed unless there are objections from anyone not on my ignore list.

Further business planned:
I also have 47 of the .458"/ 405-gr Remington bullets to waste.
Seating those just 0.230" deep on their bottom cannelure for a COL of 3.270" will be an approximation of the Woodleigh .458"/ 400-gr PPSN
seated to same depth.
I started with 87.0 grains of H4895 with the Woodleigh for 2627 fps MV and worked down.
I now propose to start with 64.0 grains of H4895 (about 84% to 85% net Fill/LR) and work up to 80.0 grains of H4895 (105% net fill/LR without use of drop tube),
just for fun and enlightenment with the Remington bullet.

The Speer 400-grainer at 0.350" seating depth and COL ~ 3.125" will be compared to that in an overlapping and lower charge range.

60.0 grains of H4895 is ~ 84% to 85% net fill/LR
72.0 grains of H4895 is ~ 100% net fill/LR
75.0 grains of H4895 is ~ 105% net fill/LR
with any flat-based bullet and 0.350" seating depth and no drop tube use,
id est, the 400-, 500-, and 600-grainers as previously discussed.
H4895 is fascinating for mild loads as well as wunderloads.

.458 WIN TRUMP
Winchester's Truly Realized Ultimate Magnum Perfection
Id venit et vicit omnis.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A new feature of THE MISSION is "Load of the Week"
accompanied by a pencil-and-French-curved graphic of MV as a function of bullet weight,
three curves for three KE thresholds, 6000, 5000, and 4000 ft-lbs,
and the 3000-ft-lbs partridges in a pear tree:

Load of the Week, brought to THE MISSION by Sir Jerry, Knight of the Four Five Eight:

81.0 grains of AA-2460 with 500-gr TBSH at 3.545" COL, W-W Super brass, F215 primer
Ambient temperature 50 degrees F
24" JES barrel.
MV = 2344 fps if BC = 0.328
KE = 6100 ft-lbs

The .458 WT gives higher velocity at lower pressure than the SAAMI .458 Lott, bless its heart.

patriot
.458 WIN TRUMP
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Should it not be TRUMP WIN?
Sounds better than WIN TRUMP.
Tense matters.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is boom stick objecting to the motion, or just thinking with his fingers on the keyboard ?
Unless explicitly an "objection" this will be disregarded.

WIN TRUMP is the present and future wish.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery,
today is a gift from God,
which is why we call it the present."

Quote above is as recalled by Frederick Bezuindenhout, a third-generation Rhodesian, born in Umtali, Southern Rhodesia in 1954.
His PH rifle for back-up of clients is a .458 Lott "... shooting 470 gr. and 500 gr. Monolithic Solids."
www.africanhuntinggazette.com/...derick-bezuidenhout/

If that is a SAAMI .458 Lott, the depth of Fred's wisdom would be increased if he switched to a .458 WIN TRUMP.
Let us hope that his .458 Lott is the wildcat like Jack built, with a SAAMI .458 WM chamber reamed just enough to accept 2.8" brass,
like my Big Ugly rifle.
Regarding the Big Ugly chambering, Fred's reaction to this idea, the light bulb coming on:

Business as usual.

The GOP ain't dead yet.
patriot
.458 WIN TRUMP
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More good stuff for "The Mission" RIP, Thanks, and yes, iirc I would like to ride along with the heavy shell, The Mark8? from a 16 inch gun, 2700 lbs worth! neatly pack my ashes between the 3rd and 4th bag of six for a total of 110lbs of propellant ; ] would be a lovely "last ride"

Wife was laughing again last night, she said I have a ways to go, oh? I said, yes, she replied, the one doing "The Knighting" must be "The King! she said, oh crap, I said! Cool

Tis good when your woman can have fun and play along all things 458 TRUMP WIN! also, one that loves Africa and has been with me on two Safaris, it makes cracking that checkbook a hell of a lot easier when your better half is hopping up and down to go more than you are ; ]

If I had some 450gr TSX's I'd begin load workup for "Load of the Week #2" have saw some for sale, but they're more expensive than MidwayUSA's price, guess i'll have to wait for Larry to get them back in stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if I mentioned, but yes, JES Rebore is 5 groove 14 twist, that says if an 18 twist 450/458 bore/groove Shiloh Sharps barrel can easily stabilize 561gr at 1250 fps, these 500gr bullets leaving at 2350 from 14 twist will high speed drill bit themselves through any animal!

I believe twist plays a major factor in keeping a bullet spun up tight and on track for straight line penetration.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
Speaking of things which I don't have deep knowledge on but I don't think RPM in the air does much or maybe anything for the bullet in the animal. It's all nose shape and the fluid/other stuff dynamics inside. Staying nose forward is where penetration comes from. ALF could write a book about it and many others have, but we see that in a RN solid vs. a flat nose solid in the same rifle/load in the same kind of medium. If RPM changes penetration, then we could simply go to a 7 twist and make RN stable in flesh. Even the 500 TSX is telling us it's not spin speed. Anyway, that's about all I know, the rest is just my opinion. Smiler
Might adds Sharpsguy loads at 1250 FPS and a big hunk of lead shooting all the way through big animals tells us something about it.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
A new feature of THE MISSION is "Load of the Week"
accompanied by a pencil-and-French-curved graphic of MV as a function of bullet weight,
three curves for three KE thresholds, 6000, 5000, and 4000 ft-lbs,
and the 3000-ft-lbs partridges in a pear tree:

. . .

That is a nice graph and is a bit the way I think.
for example, if one wants to hunt at 2800fps, then a 350gn bullet will produce a little over 6k ft# muzzle energy.
If someone is happy with 4000ft#, then a 2800fps missle only needs to weight about 225gn.

You've just graphed why I like handloaded 416's with 350gn and 338's with 225grain. Both produce reasonable loads and can reach 2800fps, with muzzle energies at 6k and 4k, respectively. Recoil is not exactly linear with that but it works out pretty close. The 416Rigby does about 60ft# and the 338 is well under 40ft#.

For old age I am willing to go below 2800fps, but I would still like 2600fps with the 350grainer (5150ft# ME). Anyway, these things go through my mind as I choose cartridges for general foot-based, rifle-trekking hunting.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

The old-and-respectable (non-Murdoch) news sources I read/listen to

Warning warning warning ....... extreme lefty on board

No, Mike, an extreme lefty is a follower of Lenin or Marx. Rupert Murdoch used to be a bit of a lefty himself and supported Gough until he asked Whitlam for some advantage. Gough, for all his intellect, was a little naive in regard to media moguls and told Rupert that he could not in good conscience do that, at which point Murdoch flipped his support to the right.

If ever 'young' Lachlan has an epiphany like brother James, Todd and his oil-men buddies may discover a similar reversal in the Murdoch camp.

Poor RIP certainly has a thin skin for a champion of pachyderm medicine. All I did was, as one who would like to see the arguments from both sides, asked him for some evidence of the claimed nationwide electoral fraud. I am willing to listen to his argument but all he has offered has been insult and now 'ignore' - I'm doubly troubled by this because he is a man I used to regard as a personal friend.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ignored post by sambarman338 posted 12-29-2020 9:53 PM
Life is good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,

Buy a donkey for your thoughts on the graphic.
I also use it as you describe.
Bullets from 200 grains to 600 grains and KE from 3000 ft-lbs to 6000 ft-lbs ought to be all that is necessary.
Pick your caliber and velocity of choice.
Better make them monometals if they go very fast.

For odd bullet weights,
just interpolate/read the graph, or do the arithmetic,
KE being directly proportional to bullet weight if velocity is same for the two bullets compared.

Handy computation for velocity in fps (V) needed for a bullet of a specified weight in grains (BW) to yield a kinetic energy (KE) of a specified value in ft-lbs:

V = square root of [(450387)(KE)/(BW)]

You might want to use a pocket calculator that can handle numbers on the order of 10,000,000.00 or more
unless you are a savant.
Start off by dividing KE by BW, then multiply that by the constant 450387.
Do square root of that result.
Derived from:

KE = (BW x V*2)/450387

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Jerry,
Speaking of things which I don't have deep knowledge on but I don't think RPM in the air does much or maybe anything for the bullet in the animal. It's all nose shape and the fluid/other stuff dynamics inside. Staying nose forward is where penetration comes from.

Gerard Schultz was of the opinion that a faster twist does aid the transition from air into the animal, or a slanted windshield, etc.
That makes sense to me too. Increased gyroscopic stability at the instant of impact might work that way if bullet path is not "normal"/perpendicular to a flat surface at impact. Bound to be minute variations in the impact surface of a critter.
Faster spin at impact would help the bullet get started straight and not waste any momentum or KE on righting itself
through shoulder and dart stabilization from nose shape and center of gravity forward and inherent stability of a shorter bullet.

ALF could write a book about it and many others have, but we see that in a RN solid vs. a flat nose solid in the same rifle/load in the same kind of medium. If RPM changes penetration, then we could simply go to a 7 twist and make RN stable in flesh.

It would take a thousand-fold increase in spin rate to stabilize a round nose after impact.
That is the difference between air and critter density.

Even the 500 TSX is telling us it's not spin speed.

Yep. The .458"/500-gr TSX is wonderfully accurate through the air all the way to the paper target.
But it will not stay straight in a bucket of water, no matter what velocity or twist rate in a man-portable rifle.
Chimera Wincheter-CZ's accuracy node for the 500-gr TSX with a skinny 24-7/8" CZ barrel of 1:14" twist was 2250 fps MV. Bugholer.
Groups opened up a little at 2342 fps.

Anyway, that's about all I know, the rest is just my opinion. Smiler
Might adds Sharpsguy loads at 1250 FPS and a big hunk of lead shooting all the way through big animals tells us something about it.

For Sir Jerry, having trained at jousting with Sharpsguy on the slower twist BPCRs,
1:14" twist must seem really fast.
It will certainly not hurt penetration.
Fast enough, but not too fast for good work with heavy hardcast bullets. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry mcdonald:
I would like to ride along with the heavy shell, The Mark8? from a 16 inch gun, 2700 lbs worth! neatly pack my ashes between the 3rd and 4th bag of six for a total of 110lbs of propellant ; ] would be a lovely "last ride"

Wife was laughing again last night, she said I have a ways to go, oh? I said, yes, she replied, the one doing "The Knighting" must be "The King! she said, oh crap, I said! Cool

Sir Jerry, remember, your Wife is always correct.

Tis good when your woman can have fun and play along all things 458 TRUMP WIN! also, one that loves Africa and has been with me on two Safaris, it makes cracking that checkbook a hell of a lot easier when your better half is hopping up and down to go more than you are ; ]

You are blessed.

If I had some 450gr TSX's I'd begin load workup for "Load of the Week #2" have saw some for sale, but they're more expensive than MidwayUSA's price, guess i'll have to wait for Larry to get them back in stock.

Yes, it will be great having you do some more work for THE MISSION, getting the .458 WIN TRUMP ready for your next Safari. tu2
BTW, was your reference to "458 TRUMP WIN!" an objection to ".458 WIN TRUMP" nomenclature or just some funnin'?
Whatever. It's all good, you and boom stick can play with it however you like . tu2

That 450-grain TSX is about 1.516" to 1.520" long, versus the 500-grain TBSH being about 1.400" long.
My top load with the 450-grain TSX, looking back at my notes,
84.0 grains AA-2230 was loaded with a drop tube for no compression when the 450-gr TSX was crimped on 4th/last cannelure.
Hornady brass (mine is interchangeable with my W-W Super brass), F215 primer, temp 43 degrees F.
The COL was 3.680", seating depth with 2.500" brass was 0.340" when BOL was 1.520".
25" Shilen barrel, 1:14" twist, stainless, 6-groove, about 0.4585" groove diameter,
5-yard chrono 2457 fps, corrected for BC = 0.369 to MV = 2469 fps.

If COL is 3.560", crimping on third cannelure, seating depth would be 0.460", about one caliber !
That should make ALF grumble less.

It will be a challenge worthy of Sir Jerry's jousting skills with the .458 WIN TRUMP, for THE MISSION,
and his Safari.
patriot
.458 WIN TRUMP
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fury, I should have said all things bullet shape being equal, that said, twist indeed plays a major role, if not we could simply blast them out of a smooth bore with less pressure, think of a childs toy top when it begins to slow down in RPM, wobble city.

With RIP's Gibbs/Seyfried 461 Gibbs experiment a short time back my 18 twist Shiloh easily stabilized that test bullet, a paper patch of 1.455" in length, it's favorite bullet across the board is a massive 570gr AA Smerker grease groove bullet at 1.490 inch, that bullet is so accurate you'll shoot up your stash and be back over the lead pot in no time.

RIP, many Thanks for the gift of 450gr TSX bullets, I will put them to good use here AND on a Cape Buffalo my next tri over, the hunt is already paid for, just have to get by the gift that's known as the kung fu flu, a blatant bio warfare attack from the folks Trump yanked in line on trade!

You know, if those folk had invented forks they'd not be so frustrated chasing green peas around a plate with two wooden sticks trying to eat, and with the lifelong constipated look on their flat pie faces from chasing parked egg roll carts, it's no wonder they're so damn hard to get along with! Yeah, I don't like em! communism, aint it great?! Mad

Lastly, no poking intended, I got the names mixed up, 458 WIN TRUMP for the WIN! ; ]

I believe by dusting off my drop tube, I can get enough AA2460 in the case to give the 450gr TSX's 2450+ fps with very acceptable pressures, it'll be another fun experiment, particularly if they land in the same group with the 500gr TBSH's at 40 yards through Express sights.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hannay,
Your 60.0-gr charge with filler is way faster than same charge without filler, more than expected.

I am wondering if the remnant cloud of filler wad trailing a bullet could be picked up by Lab Radar
and confuse it.
See wad closer than bullet, see bullet again after wad vanishes,
the bullet has instantaneously made up some distance ... ?

RIP,
Thanks - you could be right about the effects of the wad on the LabRadar, but another possibility (perhaps more likely Roll Eyes ) is user error! I used a folding shooting bench and the mounting scheme for the LabRadar was not as solid as it should have been. I noticed at some point that it had rotated a little bit and I suspect that was the reason it missed the shot. I think I'd like to check it with a filled load from my more solid bench.

I'm planning on doing some more tests with the Lehigh Defense 380 gr flat nose, so I hope to have some more results to report.

Thanks for all your help and advice in this thread.
Happy New Year!
Hannay

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hannay,

Happy New Year !

I been thinking of trying a MagnetoSpeed, soon as I finish killing my optical chronographs.
THE GUNSMITH has one I might get to try if he ever finishes up the piece currently residing at Hilltop Gun Shop and Spa for Wayward Guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post

patriot
.458 WIN TRUMP
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
RIP,
Regarding the Magnetospeed - have you seen it setup with the Magnetospeed attached to an adjustable rifle rest instead of the rifle barrel?
24 hour CF thread
If I had seen that, I think I might have bought the Magnetospeed instead of the LabRadar.

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mislabeled photo corrected above.
Back to loading.
To all Heroes of the Four Five Eight: Nab some Norma .458 WM brass if you can find it and afford it.
That might add quite a few grains of non-compressed powder space to the .458 WM and .458 WIN TRUMP.
Like about a 5 % increase in case capacity.

That is similar to the Norma-made .375 Weatherby Magnum brass being greater capacity than brass made by fire-forming WW-Super and Hornady brass.

Norma brass is not necessary unless trying to beat a Sir Jerry or Sir Bob hot load.
Bob & Jerry's Max Loads.
Sounds like ice cream.

one of us
posted Hide Post
holycow

Mule Deer is John Barsness' handle, right ?
Nice setup, Barsness photo:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com...hp/topics/15172254/1

Buy a donkey for that, Hannay.

rflshtr on that 24hrCF thread has a solution for the problem of setting up on a limited benchtop at the public range:

"My solution is pretty low tech. Using a magnetospeed setup similar to the one built by Mule Deer and using a rifle rear bag and front rest similar to Dirtfarmer, I simply place a 2' x 6' finished particle board shelf on top of the shooting bench at the range, set my individual pieces on the shelf, align as necessary and shoot. Simple and does not require any modifications to store bought stuff other than the one hole in the rock rest jr to hold the magnetospeed unit. Can easily be adjusted for different rifles and the weight of the rifle, rests, bags and caldwell unit hold the shelf in place while shooting. And the shelf only cost about $15 at a local builders supply store."

response from Mule Deer:

"rflshtr,

That's too simple to work!

Absolutely brilliant.... "

rflshtr continues:

"I got a 24" wide shelf that is 6' long since I have two rifles with 30" or longer barrels and wanted one board for all rifles. If you limited your chronographing to 24" barrels or shorter, you could get by with a 5' or shorter board. I like the wider board/shelf since everything can fit on top of it but I drive a pickup so size of the board is not an issue for me. So far I have not needed the clamps to hold things in place but have not used it with large bore, dangerous game type rifles. The wider board also allows the whole set up to be slid around on the bench top to engage multiple targets left or right depending on the range set up you are shooting at. The whole point of this thread is to share ideas and we all should recognize that each idea might not work for everybody. For me, simple is better but that is just me."

From Dirtfarmer:

Reloder28:

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/6781055362

What is the ideal barrel length for the 458 T-Rump? Seems after 20” there is diminishing returns.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/6781055362

Undeniably, a .458 WIN TRUMP or .458 Win. Mag. barrel, chambered for 2.5" brass,
will be stronger than a .458 Lott barrel chambered for 2.8" brass,
regarding calculations for any given external barrel contour.
By a small amount the .458 WM/WT can withstand greater chamber pressures than the SAAMI .458 Lott,
but it does not need to, since the .458 WIN TRUMP can achieve higher MV at lower pressure than the SAAMI .458 Lott.

What is the ideal barrel length for the 458 T-Rump? Seems after 20” there is diminishing returns.

Knave boom stick:

His Highness, King Magnus Winchester, is displeased by your impertinence regarding the .458 Winchester TRUMP.
He has sent me as his messenger in my capacity as Hand of the King to figuratively spank you.
So have a swat on your rump with the flat of the Sword of Saint Nicholas.

Go and sin no more.

A review of the barrel length versus MV graphic is in order since your retention of this information is suspected to be lacking,
or you just thought it was clever to be a jackass about the subject ?

Heavier bullets and faster powders will lose less MV per inch of barrel shortening,
and lighter bullets and slower powders will lose more MV per inch of barrel shortening.
But, since we usually use slower powders with heavier bullets, and faster powders with lighter bullets,
that is essentially a wash.
The "generic" 500-grain handload with medium burn rate powder is sufficient as a basis for estimation.
Loss per inch of barrel shortening is about 10 fps from 28" to 24".
Loss per inch is about 20 fps from 24" to 20".
Loss per inch of barrel shortening grows increasingly greater with every inch below 20" barrel length.
That applies to MV loss of bullet.
Hearing loss of the shooter increases with each inch of barrel shortening below 20".

MV is traded in on handiness.
My personal preference is for 23" to 25" barrels on the .458 WIN TRUMP.
24" is the big-boringly optimum compromise for MV and hearing protection, IMHO.
There has been no royal decree on this subject of barrel length, so do what pleases your needs for speed and hearing loss.

patriot
.458 WIN TRUMP
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, Mike, an extreme lefty is a follower of Lenin or Marx. Rupert Murdoch used to be a bit of a lefty himself and supported Gough until he asked Whitlam for some advantage. Gough, for all his intellect, was a little naive in regard to media moguls and told Rupert that he could not in good conscience do that, at which point Murdoch flipped his support to the right.

If ever 'young' Lachlan has an epiphany like brother James, Todd and his oil-men buddies may discover a similar reversal in the Murdoch camp.

A fine example of internet gibberish. Hint, if you want to make a point, it's best to have an argument based on logic. Just sayin!

Poor RIP certainly has a thin skin for a champion of pachyderm medicine. All I did was, as one who would like to see the arguments from both sides, asked him for some evidence of the claimed nationwide electoral fraud. I am willing to listen to his argument but all he has offered has been insult and now 'ignore' - I'm doubly troubled by this because he is a man I used to regard as a personal friend.

Obviously not. As mentioned, ample evidence has been presented, including video evidence of uncertified ballots being presented in the counting rooms as well as over 2,000 election workers now coming forth as whistle blowers, describing how they were prohibited from observing the election count, or being ordered to alter / ignore non matching signatures or alter postmark dates of mail in ballots. Not to mention that the US Constitution dictates only state legislatures have jurisdiction of how election processes are conducted, with numerous states' courts, governors, or lessor appointed government officials overstepping their authority and dictating illegal procedures to be followed on how the 2020 election was conducted. That the main stream media has refused to cover these reports does not mean they are not credible. In order say you are willing to listen, you have to be willing to listen to information that doesn't confirm your biases.

There is so much evidence of the main stream media ignoring actual evidence of political corruption when the party involved (Dems) aligns with their agenda, while at the same time giving full voice to stories of collusion without the slightest bit of evidence (Russian hoax), again doing so when it suits their agenda, that to not acknowledge this, or dismiss it solely based on the information coming from sources in the media that do not share the leftist bias, is prima facia evidence of either being willfully ignorant of current journalistic corruption, or of being an active participant in its practice. The great thing about living in the information age these days is that one doesn't have to accept being lied to by the traditional elite media gate keepers. There are many, many methods of fact checking the media today. But you have to want to know the truth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Todd, for what you said in red letters.
It more than made up for having to suffer the
stupidity and evil emanating from sambarman338's words like
the foul odor of swamp gas and chicken feces.
Your words are fresh air that blows him away.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
So, if you want a shorter length barrel you need a bigger girth cartridge. 24” is the nirvana length barrel if you want to reach enlightenment of 500@ 2150 with the divine TRUMP. I repent of my ignorance and apostasy and hold firmly to the doctrine of 458 TRUMP.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I get book velocities with book loads from my 19.5" barrel on The Spruce King.
Granted I've never gone after higher than 2150 w/ 500 gr bullet in it. But that's because I never wanted to,or needed .
I always figured the 458 Win was super efficient because I got the same velocities from it as I did my 24" Whitworth and 25" CZ 550 , 458 Lott. When staying around 3.30"
? ? ? ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
I get book velocities with book loads from my 19.5" barrel on The Spruce King.
Granted I've never gone after higher than 2150 w/ 500 gr bullet in it. But that's because I never wanted to,or needed .
I always figured the 458 Win was super efficient because I got the same velocities from it as I did my 24" Whitworth and 25" CZ 550 , 458 Lott. When staying around 3.30"
? ? ? ?

Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore Ammunition has a fast .458 WM custm rifle with 18" barrel, which he attributes to a smoother finish on the rifling.
It gives higher MV than his 22"-barreled factory SAAMI .458 WM:

*******************************************************************************************************
'My 18-inch rifle shoots this bullet slightly faster than my 22-inch rifle. Why? Please read this article “Velocity Versus Barrel Length”.
VELOCITY VERSUS BARREL LENGTH
My 18-inch rifle sports an old highly custom Marquart barrel as I had this rifle made over 30 years ago, for kicking around in Coastal Alaska. My 22-inch rifle is a factory Winchester and simply does not have as slick/fast a barrel.'
*******************************************************************************************************

I do not think it is all due to smoother finish in the lands and grooves.
Might be also due to tighter bore and groove diameters,
or even due to custom short throating,
or maybe a combination of all the above.
Pressures might be higher with any load in Sundles custom rifle if it is indeed such a short-throated ".458 Winchester Special" chambering.
Probably why he limits his 450-gr TSX load to 2200 fps
and his 400-gr TSX load to 2250 fps,
Those are mere starting loads for the .458 WIN TRUMP with SAAMI .458 WM chamber.

IIRC, CTF has a Shilen barrel.
My Shilen barrels have groove diameters in the SAAMI compliant plus side of .458" minimum-groove-diameter. About 0.4585".
Slick finish on CTF's rifling ?
SAAMI throat on CTF's chamber ?
Just think how fast it would be if his barrel length was 24". Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a donkey, boom stick.
The namesake of the .458 WT, .458 WIN TRUMP, or more formally, the .458 Winchester TRUMP:

Formerly a Democrat, but so was Ronald Reagan.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

To be chronographed from the 24"-barreled Ruger No. 1 and papergraphed for reference guide to any 400-gr to 600-gr bulleted business loads.
No fillers.
That is the charm of H4895, 60% load or 110% loads in the .458 WIN TRUMP,
without fillers on the mild side and works well compressed too.

There may be faster loads with no compression or more accurate loads or less fouling loads,
with the fancy newer ball powders.
But, there is no broader spectrum of applications, mild to hot, than with H4895.

Then onward to the fancy new powders, for THE MISSION, but there is always H4895 to take care of business in a business rifle.
It is the "Thirty Aught Six" of rifle powders.

patriot
.458 WIN TRUMP
Id venit et vicit omnis.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:
quote:

A fine example of internet gibberish. Hint, if you want to make a point, it's best to have an argument based on logic. Just sayin!

Obviously not. As mentioned, ample evidence has been presented, including video evidence of uncertified ballots being presented in the counting rooms as well as over 2,000 election workers now coming forth as whistle blowers, describing how they were prohibited from observing the election count, or being ordered to alter / ignore non matching signatures or alter postmark dates of mail in ballots. Not to mention that the US Constitution dictates only state legislatures have jurisdiction of how election processes are conducted, with numerous states' courts, governors, or lessor appointed government officials overstepping their authority and dictating illegal procedures to be followed on how the 2020 election was conducted. That the main stream media has refused to cover these reports does not mean they are not credible. In order say you are willing to listen, you have to be willing to listen to information that doesn't confirm your biases.

There is so much evidence of the main stream media ignoring actual evidence of political corruption when the party involved (Dems) aligns with their agenda, while at the same time giving full voice to stories of collusion without the slightest bit of evidence (Russian hoax), again doing so when it suits their agenda, that to not acknowledge this, or dismiss it solely based on the information coming from sources in the media that do not share the leftist bias, is prima facia evidence of either being willfully ignorant of current journalistic corruption, or of being an active participant in its practice. The great thing about living in the information age these days is that one doesn't have to accept being lied to by the traditional elite media gate keepers. There are many, many methods of fact checking the media today. But you have to want to know the truth.

Thanks Todd, at least you've had the decency to present some of the argument you rely on ... and who knows, there might be something in them.

As to RIP's reply, I can hardly believe what I read. And just to clear the air, the few puffs I had of the substance he mentioned about 40 years ago did nothing to impress me, less I'd say than a Camel or Lucky Strike before I gave them up even earlier.

My parents didn't smoke either and hardly drank, though they did bring me up at the Evangelical end of our Episcopalian church - and as Ron's lookalike once said, religion is the opium of the people. Trouble is my parents believed that the Parables were allegorical hints on how to get to Heaven, not instructions on how to treat slaves and servants who earned or failed to earn you extraordinary profits.

Has it ever occurred to you guys that almost everything in life is luck? Color, nationality, looks, intelligence, educational opportunities, even the inherited-or-acquired drive that turns some people into plutocrats - they all come from luck. Now, if you buy the whole Darwinian bag you can say: so what? Survival of the fittest! While I agree that that is pretty much how the world has got where it is, my poor old mother's outlook that Jesus was a socialist has stuck with me. And since we don't see a lot of angels flying around these days, it occurs to me that the best way to see God's will done is to do it ourselves. Yes, the American tradition of philanthropy is one way to do this but it is often self-serving and rarely amounts to even a hill of beans for the country's poor, let alone the Third World. So, if belief in governments that bring reasonable and sustainable redistribution of the world's resources makes me a lefty, RIP, on that point you have me bang to rights.

Happy Christmas (still on until the 6th) and a safe new year to you all!

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks Todd, at least you've had the decency to present some of the argument you rely on ... and who knows, there might be something in them.

As to RIP's reply, I can hardly believe what I read. And just to clear the air, the few puffs I had of the substance he mentioned about 40 years ago did nothing to impress me, less I'd say than a Camel or Lucky Strike before I gave them up even earlier.

My parents didn't smoke either and hardly drank, though they did bring me up at the Evangelical end of our Episcopalian church - and as Ron's lookalike once said, religion is the opium of the people. Trouble is my parents believed that the Parables were allegorical hints on how to get to Heaven, not instructions on how to treat slaves and servants who earned or failed to earn you extraordinary profits.

Has it ever occurred to you guys that almost everything in life is luck? Color, nationality, looks, intelligence, educational opportunities, even the inherited-or-acquired drive that turns some people into plutocrats - they all come from luck. Now, if you buy the whole Darwinian bag you can say: so what? Survival of the fittest! While I agree that that is pretty much how the world has got where it is, my poor old mother's outlook that Jesus was a socialist has stuck with me. And since we don't see a lot of angels flying around these days, it occurs to me that the best way to see God's will done is to do it ourselves. Yes, the American tradition of philanthropy is one way to do this but it is often self-serving and rarely amounts to even a hill of beans for the country's poor, let alone the Third World. So, if belief in governments that bring reasonable and sustainable redistribution of the world's resources makes me a lefty, RIP, on that point you have me bang to rights.

Happy Christmas (still on until the 6th) and a safe new year to you all!

Go see a therapist & get off this thread.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Happy new year Mr Sambar. Glad you are well. On luck as a belief mechanism; I am reminder of my high school psychology class where a very good man was doing his best to explain the concept of predestination. Clearly struggling he said “it’s kind of like if you walked out in front of a truck outside on the street and it wasn’t your time to go, the truck wouldn’t hit you!” From the back of the room where Melvin Gidcum dwelled came “you wanta push the odds?” The room roared even our instructor.
A belief in luck is just as easily tested. The only question is do you wanta push the odds?
A belief in socialism is just as easily questioned by asking “how deep does your belief go in organized theft go? World Government, national government, state government, county government, city government, neighborhood government, gang next street over government, any majority of any social group of people?”
I wish you grace and blessings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer and accept the wisdom that comes from God through men like Moses, Abraham, Isaiah, Solomon, Jesus and Paul, to name just a few.

But here's a more modern insight from a man of wisdom and understanding:

"Blessed are they who have nothing to say, and who cannot be persuaded to say it."

And then, this timeless gem:

"Truth forever on the scaffold,
Wrong forever on the throne, -
Yet the scaffold sways the future,
and, behind the dim unknown,
Standeth God within the shadow,
keeping watch above His own."

James Russell Lowell (1844)

"luck" ?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 846 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote