Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The spirit of The Founders rises. Adapt and overcome.
Well done.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Rip,
You are well read.
Thanks for the pic.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Site of a recent Land Rover TV commercial, where it drove up those 999 steps:

Stupid IS as Stupid DOES.

Forrest Gump

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cleansing of gene pool! tu2

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
The spirit of The Founders rises. Adapt and overcome.
Well done.

Backwoods Bubba says "Shucks. Buy a donkey."

The MAGPUL is a great one for the AR-15.
It can still be used for that, even with a new hole drilled through it.
Box instructions for proper use:

It will probably get tried on Goldie Ruger-Pedersoli the .45-2.6"-SWT with some "Quigley Ruse" loads in the heavy rifle.
Much more gentlemanly that "Selous Ruse" loads in an 8-pound rifle.

The NECG peep and the MAGPUL peep weigh about the same.
Weighs about 2.5 to 3 ounces of all steel.
"Shipping weight" from MidwayUSA is 2.88 ounces (0.180 pound).

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...003372059?pid=796818

I found mine at a local emporium 10 bucks cheaper than the Midway USA price Eeker no shipping for that one!

Better living through chemistry AND investment casting, I reckon.
Marcella is 1 ounce under 8 pounds with either rear sight installed.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Stupid IS as Stupid DOES.
Forrest Gump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NtsNX75BeY

There was a camel, or a Red Bull, that made it through the eye of that needle in 2013, but he used a considerably higher elevation (helicopter) to jump off of instead of a cliff only a few hundred meters from impact,
and had no 180-degree turn to start into after a 20 meter fall.
That camel could not thread that needle.
Heaven's Gate, how ironic.
Do stupid people go to heaven?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
Cleansing of gene pool! tu2

Do Darwin Award winners go to heaven?
Confused
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Rip,
You are well read.
Thanks for the pic.

Buy a donkey !
But readin'bout'em is the extent of my knowledge of Belt Mountain's Punch bullets.
Can they still be found for sale ?
Will sambarman338 have to make his own from Woodleigh HYDROs ?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Homemade Punch bullets, I thought upon again ...

https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/banded-solids/

BARNES BANDED SOLID not available in .458-caliber because of .458 SOCOM armor piercing capability with that bullet ?

Punch bullets would be better.
And they are gone too ?
CRYBABY

The mighty .458-caliber is so good that it suffers only due to its greatness.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Barnes received a heavy dose of the "Interstate commerce clause" of our "Common Sense" Federal Government and understandably rolled over on the .458 Solids.
Sadly.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Punch bullets would be better.
And they are gone too ?

Rip, Not quite.
Grizzly cartridge bought the rights to the Punch bullet a few years ago after we used them in our African bullet testing adventure.
The Grizzly web site shows .45-70+p ammo loaded with 400 grain Punch bullets; 2050 fps (all you need to shoot through an ele head, 2-3 cape buff, etc).
I have heard that shooters that placed on line orders for that .45-70 Punch ammo never had the order acknowledged.

I recently gave my next to last 430 grain .458 Punch to a man that wants to make his own because he is one of those that was unable to order them from Grizzly.If he succeeds, I will get some for my .45-90 which has shot them quite well back when available.
There is also a creative European hunter that made his own version using copper in place of brass. That bullet is a bore rider like the North Fork. He reports great accuracy and penetration with those. Smiler

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I ordered some punch bullets,I called to place the order & paid on the spot,it took months to get delivery & numerous phone calls to get the bullets,they are reserved for when my 45-90 turns into a DG killer.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
A few years ago I ordered some punch bullets,I called to place the order & paid on the spot,it took months to get delivery & numerous phone calls to get the bullets,they are reserved for when my 45-90 turns into a DG killer.

My 45-90 shoots them well!
I am willing to take them off your hands . Smiler

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
RIP,
Here is a link to the "45-70 for plains game" thread where I found the "home made" .458 Punch bullets.
https://www.africahunting.com/...r-plains-game.54393/
You can read it all or just skim down to the posts by "Serbian Hunter" where the good bullet stuff and pix are.
Enjoy!

PS SH appears to be a real rifleman!

Bill73, you should enjoy also. (yeah, yeah, I will get back to our hog shoot soon) Smiler

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The hole I thought of drilling (with lathe) in the Woodleigh bullets was not as wide as Punch's, but would have gone almost the complete length in order to help balance.

Do the Punch bullets make a bow-wave wound channel as well?

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post

Since I do no know the "bow wave", I will say that their effect is much like NF or other large meplat flat point solids. They shoot through things like bones, flesh, ele heads, everything. They do not expand but PUNCH their way through target animals.
The name of their game is penetration.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
crshelton,

Buy a donkey for that link to some good reading.
Serbian Hunter's design for a .45-70 Govt.-optimizing bullet is a good one.
400-grains in a copper&lead version of the brass&lead Punch bullet would allow it to be a little shorter than the Punch, copper being more dense than brass.
Depends on the amount of lead fill, of course.

The softer copper is not stressed much at all at 1850 fps for the 400-grain "Serbian Punch" bullet.
One would have to hit heavy bone to get any deformity at all with .45-70-MV.
That bullet could be made to go 2500 fps in the mighty .458 WIN.
Ought to be perfect there too.
My Iron Waterboard Buffalo testing of monometal brass and copper FN showed the copper expanded the nose slightly at about 2600 fps
while the brass FN did not expand noticeably until above 2700 fps.

Scarfed from your link are photos below, Serbian Punch.

Must have hit bone with this one:

Sebian Hunter's penetration test, 400-grainer at 1850 MV zipped right through 60 inches of water:

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
The hole I thought of drilling (with lathe) in the Woodleigh bullets was not as wide as Punch's, but would have gone almost the complete length in order to help balance.

Paul,

I think you are asking if the Punch bullets do the "super-cavitation" thing.
If any bullet will do it, the Punch would.
Ditto the Serbian Punch.
Don't get Alf started on the semantics of it. Wink

Punch bullets, brass or copper/Serbian, have too much meplat diameter to feed well in a bolt action.
The sharp edge might catch on an extractor cut in the M70 breech too.
They are certainly superior in a lever action, double rifle or single shot.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a way to get as much penetration as the Punch, or more,
without the oversized, sharp-edged meplat.
It is the sum of velocity, sectional density, and non-deforming FN nose shape.
100 inches of water and 9" thickness of plywood was passed through by a .395/330-gr brass FN at 2400 fps.

I had to make the IWB tougher to consider any higher velocity testing.
Only 10 water compartments, in the IWB, so double the boards between the water compartments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I fired the same bullet at just over 2800 fps into another variation of the Iron Waterboard Buffalo.
There were two boards (1/2" plywood X 2) between each 8"-thick, flat-sided, plastic water bucket.
It made it through 8 water buckets, stopping on the 8th inch-thick plywood partition.
Call that a penetration score of 8 in the tougher version of the IWB, for the S&H .395/330-gr brass FN.

The GSC .395/340-gr copper FN at just over 2700 fps scored a 7, stopped by the 7th plywood partition.
Did not make it into the 8th water bucket.

Pictures of the unfired and recoverd bullets are below.
The copper FN starts expanding on water impact at somewhat less than 2700 fps, I think it's safe to say.
Gerard Shultz did it at lower velocity by shooting them into 50-gallon steel drums full of sand.
The brass FN at 2800 fps impact required calipers to measure nose diameter increase of a few thousandths of an inch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So with the huge case capacity of the .458 WIN, rotflmo
Punch technology is not needed.

How about that .277 SIG Fury using 80,000 PSI with steel-headed, brass-topped case ?
That new technology looks perfect for a steel-belted .458 WIN case.
Maybe the .458 WIN can beat the .460 Weatherby with some of that 80,000 PSI stuff ?

I do not think we need a 6.5-pound, 16"-barreled rifle for the .458 WIN-SIG Fury, however.

But, that suppressor might add enough weight to the SIG "Cross" (hunting rifle model name) to make it tolerable in .458 WIN-SIG Fury.

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would rather try that hammer forged lathe turned brass than a two piece case.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SIG says it is a 3-piece case.
Some "secret"/proprietary hidden part that holds the brass and steel together.
Is it a rivet that holds a brass head inside a steel head and also forms the primer pocket ???
Or is it a smear of J-B Weld ??? rotflmo
What kind of primer looks like this after firing at 80,000 PSI ???

The prototype cases are lathe-turned and with blank headstamp.
Sig says it will have a less expensive mass production technology and a proper headstamp, eventually.
Seeing will be believing, and only then should it be considered for application to the mighty .458 WIN.
Thus shall there cometh the .458 WIN-SIG Fury.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Why not just do a 100% steel case 458 win? Why would it need to go to 80k? what velocity would another 20k get you? would it not be diminishing returns for increased pressure?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Check out the crimp on that Fury round. If we have a 458WM Fury RIP, Fury01 might be tempted... Naa Got all I need now.

Your primer question is an interesting one indeed. Darned good one I guess to contain 80K PSI and look like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Why not just do a 100% steel case 458 win? Why would it need to go to 80k? what velocity would another 20k get you? would it not be diminishing returns for increased pressure?

Did the Nazis use steel cases for their 8x57mm ?
Did French wildcatters use those steel cases for amazing feats ?

Is special tooling necessary for handloading fired steel-cased empties ?

Yes, the .458 WIN is so powerful with standard drawn brass, we really do not need 80,000 psi ammo.
Just yanking your chain, boom stick.

But I bet the barrel would last longer on an 80,000 PSI .458 WIN than on a .277 SIG Fury at same pressure.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Check out the crimp on that Fury round ...

Some kind of collet crimper similar to a Lee Factory Crimp die?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/di...ig-fury-demystified/

About that third part of the 3-piece case that holds a brass base inside of the steel head:
Could it be a flat-head titanium-steel machine screw that is hollowed out for the flash hole,
and J-B Weld as thread locker ?
J-B Weld ain't cheap !
animal
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I would say some kind of collet crimp and that sucker is tight! Start pressure will be very high but I guess with a 80K psi case, who cares?

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
https://www.thefirearmblog.com...2019/09/DSC_0075.jpg

"locking "washer" " is the 3rd part

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Funny how they show the brass piece fitting into the steel piece and both pieces have extractor cuts on them ...
and the extractor cut is cut open on the brass piece ...
and a "locking washer" ... ?
I can't tell how it works from that.
A bit of haha subterfuge and still a proprietary secret,
or I am just too stupid to understand.

Will the .277 SIG Fury be reloadable by the handloader ?

I get this "Cross-over" thing with heavy precision rifle and light hunting rifle.

I would rather have a 6.2-pound SIG Cross than a 10.6-pound Ruger Precision Rifle
or 6.75-pound Ruger American Predator,
especially if I can only get the .277 SIG Fury in that SIG Cross rifle.
Until then,
I have a 5.75-pound .270 WCF in a Weatherby Mark V Ultralightweight with 24" barrel.
Just takes 8" more barrel and near 20,000 psi less pressure,
to get similar ballistics in a lighter rifle.
And afterall, they are both just pushfeeds with tiny extractors and plunger-style ejectors.
Not much difference between them for hunting purposes except the folding stock and 16" barrel on the Cross would allow it to go INSIDE a backpack.
The contours of the Weatherby would be less snaggy in brush.

Just to stay ON MISSION:

I will also say that the .458 WIN-V 3.6" evolved from an experimental U.S. rimfire with drawn brass case 1.409" long
and with COL of 2.527". The .459-caliber/500-grain grease-grooved bullet was loaded LongCOL in 1864, during the CIVIL WAR.
Hoyem called it the .44-45-500 (11.18mm) U.S. Experimental, 1864-1865 (pp. 164, 202 of VOLUME ONE).

An even earlier ancestor was the flintlock, .45-caliber, Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle,
from which the Brits took inspiration for their muzzleloading, percussion "Express Rifles"
(Lt. Col. Sir David Davidson in the 1830s, who even did pioneering work on telescopic sights for muzzleloaders),
before Purdey coined the term "Express Rifle" for his two-groove, winged-conical, percussion double rifles in the 1850s.

Thank the Americans, for the beginnings of the .458 WIN.
Also a buy a donkey to the ones in New Hampshire who are building the SIG Cross. Something different.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Meanderings along the way from flintlock to .458 Winchester Magnum, includes these excerpts from Hoyem for book review purposes,
VOLUME ONE of the four volumes:

Front (above) and back (below) of dust jacket, and inside flaps belower.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My notations in red link the two black and white excerpts below.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Book review: Wonderful book.
I just wanted to clarify that #43 and #45 above are not related to the .458 WIN versus the .458 Lott dead horse.
And note those grease grooves hanging out in the breeze.
LongCOL and shallow seating might have worked OK in Gatling guns.
They work very well in the .458 Winchester Magnum.

Measuring lead bullets that are over 100 years old is tricky. Forget about it if they are dug out of the ground at Gettysburg.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Buy a donkey indeed on those grease grooves out in the breeze sir.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

So you are fluent in Afrikaans, eh ?
I let my grease grooves hang out whenever possible.
I just use Harbor Freight Red PC paint as the grease.
It also makes paper patches obsolete.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Behold, the Walterhog .458/450-grainer, capable of 6000 ft-lbs in the .458 WIN-V 3.6".

Barnes .458/450-grain TSX bullets might be easier to find for the handloader:

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .458" 450gr Walterhog is a mockup from simply scaling up the diameters of the .375" 300gr Walterhog.
Length measurements are same for both calibers.
It is pretty cool how well a Walterhog .458/450gr can be adapted to the throat of a .458 WIN.

Those Walterhog bands are mighty complicated, and maybe too delicate to survive the jump through the "event horizon" of the .458 WIN.

The simple, hammer-forged and grooved TSX might be the best way to go for more reasons than mere availability.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Dream Bullets from GSC are the .458-caliber HV bullets.
We know the GSC drive bands work very well on the .458/400-gr HV at +2500 fps from the .458 WIN-V 3.4", using only 3.395" COL.

The .458/450-grain HV at +2400 fps might be even better.
That would be the "Everyman's Walterhog" for the .458 WIN.
.458/450-gr SD = .306
.375/300-gr SD = .305

No flies on that .458/450-gr HV.
Seat it 0.430" deep (case mouth of 2.5" brass aligns midway between third and fourth drive band of five,
counting from nose of bullet toward base,
from top to bottom)
and the COL will be exactly 3.600",
perfect as can be for the .458 WIN-V 3.6".

Minimum impact speed recommended by GSC is 1600 fps for all four bullet weights above, for hunting purposes.
There is no upper limit on MV for these bullet, especially if fired from the Mighty .458 WIN.
tu2
Rip ...