Great pics!

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
BRNO STOPPER O/U Double Rifle .458 WinMag
January 2009

Kansas City, KS – 1 January, 2009

The Brno Stopper is an Over/Under double rifle chambered in .458 Win. Mag. for Africa’s most dangerous game. Featuring a select grade walnut stock, elegant checkering and a semi-Schnabel fore-end, the Stopper features a single mechanical trigger, short radius iron sights for fast shooting, and a barrel mounted sling attachment point. The new double is available in field grade with a blued receiver or an exquisitely engraved version. The upgraded version features hand engraved scenes of rhino and elephant on the receiver and trigger guard by Rene Ondra, one of Europe’s finest engravers.

08001 BRNO STOPPER O/U Double Rifle, cal. 458 WinMag, black receiver $5,554

08002 BRNO STOPPER O/U Double Rifle, cal. 458 WinMag, hand engraved silver receiver, gold trigger $8,072

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
January 2009

Kansas City, KS – 1 January, 2009

The Brno Stopper is an Over/Under double rifle chambered in .458 Win. Mag. for Africa’s most dangerous game. Featuring a select grade walnut stock, elegant checkering and a semi-Schnabel fore-end, the Stopper features a single mechanical trigger, short radius iron sights for fast shooting, and a barrel mounted sling attachment point. The new double is available in field grade with a blued receiver or an exquisitely engraved version. The upgraded version features hand engraved scenes of rhino and elephant on the receiver and trigger guard by Rene Ondra, one of Europe’s finest engravers.

08002 BRNO STOPPER O/U Double Rifle, cal. 458 WinMag, hand engraved silver receiver, gold trigger $8,072

These guns did not catch on,the gun that I have is a double trigger gun with solid ribs,no space between the barrels,there were only a few imported,am aware of only one other gun like that owned by one our members on here,mine is my favorite DR,shoots real well,I had it reworked by another respected member,I have hunted that gun several times,from pigs to a tuskless.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
Compared to other dangerous-game guns of the '50s, the .458 Model 70 was a bargain.

Winchester

The early 1950s saw a boom in African safari–going. Air travel replaced ocean liners, safaris cost a small fraction of what they do today, and there was game beyond belief. Hollywood made (bad) safari movies, and Robert Ruark wrote Horn of the Hunter and Something of Value. Quicker than you could say “Letti hapa ginni a m’bele, pese pese” (“Get me a gin on the rocks right now!” in Swahili), the whole thing went through the roof.

Winchester was not insensible to of all this, and decided that what America needed was a reasonably priced African-dangerous-game rifle, and so the Big Red W modified its peerless Model 70 bolt action, adding a heavy, 25-inch barrel and good iron sights. It was known as the Model 70 Super Grade African, and it cost around $295 in the late 1950s, which was not cheap for an American rifle, but would not buy the bolt knob on a Rigby bolt action.

The .458 Winchester Magnum was designed to replicate the ballistics of the .470 Nitro Express—500 grains at 2,100 fps—which was, and is, one of the most highly regarded dangerous-game rounds.

Despite this, the rifle and the ammunition were a raging success, and remain so today. It’s a guess, but I believe there are more .458 rifles (Winchester and otherwise) banging around Africa than anything else except the .375 H&H.

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looked up some of my loading data on my 458 I recorded back in 2009 and 10.
It was impressive 24" Browning Safari grade.

Powder was A 2230. Primers Fed 215
Oehler 35 Chrono. 500 ft elevation

72 gr: 500 gr Hor. DGS: Rem. Brass: 2147 FPS:93F
73 gr: 500 gr Hor. DGS: Hor. Brass: 2217 FPS:93F
73 gr: 500 gr Hor. INT: Hor. Brass: 2225 FPS:93F
74 gr: 450 Swift A Fra. Hor. Brass: 2281 FPS:93F

I had no extraction issues with any of the loads
Primer pockets will snug after reloading them.
I believe it is a very capable round in its standard format with the Swift A frames or blinded lead core projectiles.
Probably not so good with long monometals.
As made mention many times on this forum. A 2230 is the 458's best friend.
All these loads were extremely accurate at under 1" at 100 yrs.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill73,

Thank you very much (buy a donkey) for ringing THE MISSION bell.
I have copied your reply for posterity for two reasons:

1. Bill Warren, xausa, certainly is an extraordinary gentleman, qualifying for membership in any exclusive "League"
or more accurately, he is without peer.

2. I am nowhere near his class, but appreciate the nice words. That is the nicest thing anyone ever said about me, including my mother!

quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
RIP,
Much appreciated your posting on xausa & his guns,the pictures are splendid & the history irreplaceable,I regard him as a very valuable asset to this site,just as you are precious on here,I salute you both patriot,
Now I just have to wait for the right O/U in 458 win to come along Big Grin,I do have two guns in my possesion that I consider rare & unique,my CZ BRNO O/U in 458 Lott(was originally a 458 win)

You have my heartfelt condolences in the mourning of a conversion of a .458 WIN O/U to .458 Lott.
Take heart in the knowledge that the Lott can be easily re-chambered to .450 NE 3.25" if the extractor can be re-worked for function with a flanged cartridge.

& a reproduction Borchardt by Al Story in 45-90,custom ordered so by me,the first has seen Africa,number 2 is waiting patiently.

Oh Ho! "number 2" is a dream rifle! If it is the 2.4"-cased .45-90, and has rim and head size same as the .45-70 Govt.,
my pending .458 WIN Twin reamer (.45-100 Sharps Winchester-Throated 2.6") will make it capable of anything, no doubt.
You will fear no evil.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Love Bill’s pics. Not sure any one else noticed, but there seems to be a rainbow on his shoulder in the leopard pic. ;-)

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
BRNO STOPPER O/U Double Rifle .458 WinMag ...

These guns did not catch on,the gun that I have is a double trigger gun with solid ribs,no space between the barrels,there were only a few imported,am aware of only one other gun like that owned by one our members on here,mine is my favorite DR,shoots real well,I had it reworked by another respected member,I have hunted that gun several times,from pigs to a tuskless.

Robgunbuilder liked his.

I have an early Searcy .338 WIN O/U built on a Ruger Red Label 20-gauge that is dying to mate with a CZ .458 WIN O/U Stopper.
What a sweet pairing of paired barrels that would be, with THE MISSION bell as wedding bell.
But if rifles are female, would that be a lesbian marriage? Like a butch (Searcy) and a fem (engraved CZ) getting hitched? Live and let live is what us male lesbians always say.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
stradling,

You could have left off the last 2 paragraphs of your quote.
Sounds like Ross Seyfried might have dictated that.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Xausa like you pictures, guns and hunting adventures.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good meat and potatoes here:

quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Looked up some of my loading data on my 458 I recorded back in 2009 and 10.
It was impressive 24" Browning Safari grade.

Powder was A 2230. Primers Fed 215
Oehler 35 Chrono. 500 ft elevation

72 gr: 500 gr Hor. DGS: Rem. Brass: 2147 FPS:93F

73 gr: 500 gr Hor. DGS: Hor. Brass: 2217 FPS:93F
Rather startling difference there between RP and Hornady brass. Old brass lots?
Some old RP and new Hornady brass i have checked lately are very close to same case capacity. coffee

73 gr: 500 gr Hor. INT: Hor. Brass: 2225 FPS:93F

74 gr: 450 Swift A Fra. Hor. Brass: 2281 FPS:93F
I consider that pretty slow for a 450-grainer,
but it is with a Swift A-Frame, famous for high pressure and low velocity.

I had no extraction issues with any of the loads
Primer pockets will snug after reloading them.
I believe it is a very capable round in its standard format with the Swift A frames or blinded lead core projectiles.
Probably not so good with long monometals.
But if you allow LongCOL loading, the long monometals are tops in the .458 WIN which can leave a SAAMI .458 Lott behind, eating dust.

As made mention many times on this forum. A 2230 is the 458's best friend.
Amen, tops for any 400- to 500-grainers in the .458 WIN.
All these loads were extremely accurate at under 1" at 100 yrs.

eezridr,
Thanks for THE MISSION support.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Calling the .458/.416 Ruger Winchester-throated, aka .458 WinRuger, by a new aka: .45 Newton

I am wondering if the original Newton chamberings had "coned-up" throats.
Generous throats might help explain their fantastic performance.
Maybe a historian among us has the proprietary information on the plus-century-old Newton throats?
Maybe xausa will allow me to drop a loose bullet into the chamber of his .30 Newton, a .256 Newton, etc.
A wooden dowel, a pencil and the right slug would give an idea as to throat length whereabouts or whatabouts of the specimen rifle.

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
quote:
stradling,

You could have left off the last 2 paragraphs of your quote.
Sounds like Ross Seyfried might have dictated that.

REMOVED THE BU;;LL SHIooT OUT OF IT

FOR YOU RIP

reads much better and stands much closer to the truth-- data-- the facts --and its performance history-- as it reads now --- now fixed

one of us
posted Hide Post
stradling,

That is now more accurate. tu2

We may have xausa reporting on some original Newton throats.

Manson Precision Reamers is on the .45-100 SWT 2.6", it is in the pipeline.

Some pics of classic .458 WIN rifles to follow.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Circa 1960 AD, xausa had Harry Creighton turn a set of three high-numbered Springfield actions into an AFRICAN BATTERY:
.458 WIN
.375 H&H
7mmRM
After shooting them a while in Fajen stocks, he had Hal Hartley re-stock them, delivered as a set by summer of 1964.

The .458 WIN: Athos

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .375 H&H: Porthos

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7mmRemMag: Aramis

One Musketeer with three classy muskets for Africa like the above matching set could hardly be better equipped.

The wannabe: d'Artagnan
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.poulinauctions.com/

Lot 1077, Beretta O/U .458 WIN plus .375 H&H:

Lot # 1077
Estimate 35,000.00 - 55,000.00 USD
Lead CASED BERETTA SS06EELL GOLD O/U DOUBLE RIFLE 2
Description
BARREL SET.
Cal. 375 H&H Mag. / 458 Win Mag. S# C11323B. Mfg. 1987. Few SS06EELL Gold rifles are known & for years this particular rifle graced the pages of Beretta's full line catalogs. Double triggers. Ejectors. Capped pistol grip w/ cheekpiece. Cartridge trap in butt. Trapdoor in grip cap containing spare front sight. Rolled edge trigger guard. Both barrel sets are numbered and equipped w/ fixed blade front sight including brass bead & full length barrel rib. Quarter ribs hold express sights equipped with 1 standing & 1 folding leaf. Included with the rifle is a heavy duplex reticle Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4x24mm scope in claw mounts fitting the .375 bbls. only. Action features rich color case hardening with border scroll & gold African game animals, signed by engraver F. Bielli. LOP: 14 5/8". UNATTACHED ACCESSORIES: leather Beretta fitted hard case w/ nickel oil bottle, case keys & sling swivels. CONDITION: action & bbls. remain near excellent w/ case colors still brilliant, gold crisp & distinct, blue deep & rich. Wood shows 1 sm. chip at lower edge of cheek piece otherwise all aspects near excellent.
Barrel set 1) Cal. 375 H&H Mag. Length: 24". Barrels equipped w/ claw mounts fitted w/ Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4X24 scope w/ heavy duplex reticle. Weight assembled: 11 lbs., 1 oz.
Barrel set 2) Cal. 458 Win. Mag. Length: 24". Weight assembled: 10 lbs., 15 oz. (19-155/TB). MODERN. $35,000-55,000.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

I think I am in love.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sigh ... if that Beretta had been chambered in .45-70 Govt. originally,
it would be a snap to re-chamber with this:

Borned-on date for the drawing is 3-14-2019.
Dave's 4's and his 9's look very similar.
Sort of like you need a de-coder ring to read the drawing.

Oh well, there is that Baikal SxS .45-70 Govt. to consider for re-chambering.
hilbily
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Page 115: We are 1/4 of the way to completing THE MISSION!

https://poulinantiques.hibid.c...19-firearms-auction/

Lot # 1024
Estimate 3,500.00 - 5,000.00 USD
Lead COLT SAUER SAFARI CLUB INTERNATIONAL GRAND AFRICAN
Description
BOLT ACTION RIFLE. Cal. 458 Win. Mag. S# SCI23. Bbl. 24" of heavy sporter weight. Ramp mounted hooded bead front sight w/ island mounted adj. rear sight. Fine West German made rifle. Glass smooth action features 3 rear locking lugs. Top tang safety w/ cocking indicator on bolt. Highly polished blue finish. Monte Carlo cheekpiece sporter stock of exotic wood that may be Myrtle. Wood is light colored w/ vivid red & brown streaking. Features include rosewood forearm tip w/ white & black spacers, rosewood grip cap w/ white & black spacers having SCI medallion & borderless point pattern hand checkering. LOP: 13 5/8" over Colt Sauer black ventilated pad. Front swivel base is bbl. mounted. Mfg. 1974-1985. MAGS: 1 - 3 rd. detachable w/ follower marked "COLT SAUER Cal. 458 Win. Mag." CONDITION: metal retains over 98% blue showing light scratches & nicks on mag. floorplate. Stock has very good gloss finish showing only a few very sm. marks. Bore is bright w/ sharp rifling. (19-363/DS). MODERN. $3,500-5,000.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

Could have been Mark Sullivan's rifle before he got kicked out of SCI.
Walter might go for it with that kind of provenance.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

The Holy Grail: https://poulinantiques.hibid.c...-bolt-action?cpage=6

Lot # 1280
Estimate 4,000.00 - 6,000.00 USD
Lead WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 SUPERGRADE BOLT ACTION
Description
RIFLE. Cal. 458 Win. Mag. S# 568516. Bbl. 25" rnd. having ramped front sight w/ silver bead & hood. Standard 458 rear sight. Receiver is topped w/ a Nikon scope. Floorplate is stamped "SUPERGRADE". Standard 458 Supergrade stock w/ left side cheekpiece & vented red Winchester recoil pad. Full checkered forend w/ uncheckered diamond around screw. 2 Reinforcing cross bolts. Pistol grip w/ steel sculpted grip cap. Supergrade detachable sling swivels to bbl. & inlet base in toeline. Bolt has matching S#. CONDITION: bbl. has 80% original blue w/ some thinning at muzzle. Stock is free of cracks w/ a few minor handling marks. Bore is good. (18-4832/BT). CURIO. $4,000-6,000.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

Atrocious scope mounts.
Not original owner's equipment, most likely.
Detracts from value if an extra screw-hole was drilled for the 3-screw, one-piece base abomination.
homer
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lot # 1321
Estimate 1,250.00 - 1,750.00 USD
Lead RUGER MODEL 77 SCI COMMEMORATIVE BOLT ACTION
Description
RIFLE. Cal. 458 Win. Mag. S# 77-67483. Tang safety model mfg. 1983 by Ruger & embellished for 1984 Safari Club International fundraising event. Engraving plus dbl. gold bbl. bands near receiver & "Safari International 1984 Commemorative" on left side of bbl. below rear sight. Walnut stock w/ QD sling studs & stock reinforcement bolt at front of action plus red factory pad. Heavy 24" bbl. w/ banded ramp front sight plus sling stud bbl. band inletted into tip of forend. References indicate only 5 examples produced. Excellent refinish after embellishments w/ slightly more polish than factory. CONDITION: all aspects near excellent. (19-362/NW). MODERN. $1,250-1,750.
https://poulinantiques.hibid.c...-bolt-action?cpage=7

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post