New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,

Your picks are all good, and there are more than we could shake a stick at, no doubt. Ain't that wonderful.
But for me, a battery has to include a couple rifles capable of firing the ubiquitous .458 WIN and .375 H&H factory loads,
plus one more rifle of smaller caliber than .375, for normal people,
or bigger caliber than .458 for the abbie-normal folks.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a tip from Gale Johnson, I had 81.43 pounds of 450-gr and 500-gr .458-cal Barnes TSX bullets arrive today.
Amazing. Arrived 2 days after I ordered them through gunbroker.com, and total shipping from Montana to Kentucky was only $16. A dozen bulk bags of 100 bullets per bag.
That was 22 cents per bullet, and 1-1/3 cents shipping per bullet.
holycow
Apparently they were not blems but part of a liquidation on a business closing.
I was happy to benefit.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
416Tanzan,

Your picks are all good, and there are more than we could shake a stick at, no doubt. Ain't that wonderful.
But for me, a battery has to include a couple rifles capable of firing the ubiquitous .458 WIN and .375 H&H factory loads,
plus one more rifle of smaller caliber than .375, for normal people,
or bigger caliber than .458 for the abbie-normal folks.
tu2
Rip ...

RIP, The Watcher, if you don't mind me asking.

I went with the Almighty .458Win because I simply didn't see how the .375HH can be better.

Not more powerful, not more accurate and yet in need of a longer action...

Any hint on why you choose the .375HH to pair a .458Win? shame

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Watchman,
It's all about practical, the .375 plus .458,
mine would be a .375 WBY capable of equaling Saeed's preferred .375/404J ballistics (300-grainer at 2750 fps) as well as firing .375 H&H factory ammo,
yielding super-duper-killer 300-grainers at 2400 fps.

The handloaded .458 WIN LongCOL would go in the same action length as the .375 H&H/WBY.
Of course a .458 Lott Like Jack Built could also make do, able to fire .458 WIN factory loads in a pinch.

I might want to pair the above with a radically different third rifle, 22 Long Rifle, a rimfire for head shots on guinea fowl:

.22 LR rimfire
.375 WBY/H&H
.458 WIN LongCOL
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Watchman,
It's all about practical, the .375 plus .458,
mine would be a .375 WBY capable of equaling Saeed's preferred .375/404J ballistics (300-grainer at 2750 fps) as well as firing .375 H&H factory ammo,
yielding super-duper-killer 300-grainers at 2400 fps.

The handloaded .458 WIN LongCOL would go in the same action length as the .375 H&H/WBY.
Of course a .458 Lott Like Jack Built could also make do, able to fire .458 WIN factory loads in a pinch.

I might want to pair the above with a radically different third rifle, 22 Long Rifle, a rimfire for head shots on guinea fowl:

.22 LR rimfire
.375 WBY/H&H
.458 WIN LongCOL
tu2
Rip ...

Cool reasoning, Zen Master Big Grin

And the addition of a .22LR gives any battery a touch of finesse! clap

In a future installment of your never-endind wisedom, what about your insight about the never-seen-the-light .458 Ruger?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Inspired by Lady Tanzan, Ms. 458 WIN of 2018, a new feature for THE MISSION, here is Ms. 458 WIN of 2019:

Photos of young-old girls may appear randomly on this thread until THE MISSION is completed.
A new Ms. 458 WIN will be selected annually.
Member input is welcome, and thanks again to 416Tanzan for pioneering the way.
Hopefully Halle Berry is not past 90 y.o. when this thread reaches 459 pages.

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
GUN DIGEST 1961, .458 WIN rifles in the catalog section:

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Note one double rifle alternative to the .458 WIN and its 1960-1961 price, and its chamberings, still popular now in 470 NE and 450/400:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Westley Richards "Game Ranger" magazine repeater offered competition for the .458 WIN African in 1960-1961 and the Leavell Mauser expanded the options greatly.

So ammo was available for .505 Gibbs, .425 WR, 404 J, and .416 Rigby at a much prettier penny than for the .458 WIN no doubt.
Note also offerings by Leavell of .300 WBY, .375 WBY, 10.75x68 Mauser ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP,
I can't remember when last I saw such an amalgam of eye candy.

BTW, your enthusiasm has brought me to offering to buy a Whitworth 458WM, for what its worth - or more.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post

Remember this 458 win mag 8.5 #--- 5 down and one in the tube --build-- back a bit more than a year

here is the now done all blued up and fancy

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post

The 458 win mag back from the SCI show 2019

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post

Features
JP Smithson custom Stock Design influenced by the early 1900 holland and holland lines

yet trimmed down to optimize the smaller 1909 argentine m 98 action -as opposed to the bulky nature of the modern but a bit larger granite mountain actions

REVIEW DETAIL PIC'S PG 13,32,33 OF THIS THREAD

while expanding the magazine to accommodate one in the tube and five down - using the swift bottom metal [ appreciably modified ] and a custom floor plate milled out here in the J P Smithson Gun Shop

note the integral base for the leupold delta reflex sight ... just back of the rear iron... like all quick release - Smithson scope mounts - of some international repore- the custom mount that screws to the leupold reflex sighting system allows one to snap the leupold on and off with absolute positive registration and reliable precision

the rifle enjoys a secondary lock up for the floor plate release, affording the Professional Hunter extra assurance the magazine will not let go spilling the contents of the magazine in an unplanned manor -something that has happened to this design with the standard release

the trigger is an inhouse very precise and labor intensive custom build based on roller bearings and can be seen during build in prior posts

........ back on about page 13 & 16.........

--it is not adjustable - it is not light [ came in at 3.5 lbs] - it is however both smooth and reliable yet positive as should be for a -- backup -and or- stopping rifle-- application

the rifle retains the simple basic reliable battle rifle proven safety system of the original mauser design

I will just add you do not fully get it until you get ahold of it --THEN YOU DO

AND I WILL ADD to taste the smooth fast and deadly-- of the thing-- ya kinda need to shoot it six times in about 3 seconds-- running the 500 grain hornady making a nominal 2,150 fps

and one final detail -- like all Smithson rifles-- this one groups at a 100-- something 458 stoppers do not always do

so

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post

Top down view

Note the soft satin ''hand rubbed'' oil finish on the thing

engraved cross bolts

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post

looking up at the floor plate - deep belly -- allowing for the 5 down feature

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post

honest straight grain yet high grade walnut-- absent of a cheek piece

gun built as a service rifle for hard recoil and hard duty

durable over time

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post

action tuned to put em all in the air before the first one hits the ground -- if you do your part

I have personally seen -- Brett Smithson-- run it that way

I can not

one of us
posted Hide Post
stradling,

Good work!
Don't stay away from this thread so long next time.
You got a life or something?

Anyway, that is some .458 FULL NITRO there.
Could be the "Poster Rifle" for this thread.
Need to get Halle Berry to pose with it for a photo shoot, maybe a real shoot.
Both are tough and pretty.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
GUN DIGEST 1961 book review is concluded here with excerpt below: Good book.

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
I logged my self out and lost my password

finaly came back to me in a stupor

How are you doing Rip

guy mentioned eye candy and Joe's 458 win mag came to mind for some reason

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another amalgam for sambarman338:

.458 WIN African was released upon the world in 1956,
and the cartridge is still the ultimate for a DGR. The Smithson Mauser might be the ultimate DGR.
The girl above was born in 1966, photographed in the Sahara desert 52 years later.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
rifle on top is the custom wby in 458 win mag heavy barrel 11 lbs pleasure to shoot

bottom gun is the 460 wby factory gun my first 458

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post

on the left the 458 watts short in left hand weatherby action bull barrel and recoil vents spraddle the front sight blade

on the right the 458 watts maxi xxx in a weatherby set of pajamas also left handed and remarkably aggressive

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post

This should help ''to give you boys'' a taste of

THIS

.................NOT THAT YOU CAN AFFORD EITHER ONE....................

unless of course ____ possibly____ you are an African PH

and in that case you can steal the first-- and some rich bastard from america will more than likly give you the second

but then-- there is that odd chance-- both will come in to camp on the same flight NOW WHAT DO YOU DO !!

Ripp thanks for getting me back on track here

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
I logged my self out and lost my password

finaly came back to me in a stupor

How are you doing Rip

guy mentioned eye candy and Joe's 458 win mag came to mind for some reason

stradling,

I am doing fine right now!
You too!
Good work, again!
All "future" Ms. 458 WIN contestants welcome.
No requirement that they be postmenopausal.
We will consider them to be "in training" for the title.
Also the .458 WIN rifle photo posted beside each one does not have to compete with the Ms. for beauty.
Any functional .458 WIN rifles welcome here,
and pretty girls of all "mature" ages welcome here,
for THE MISSION, of course.
Nice pair!
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe that Smithson .458 WIN Masterpiece weighs only 7.5 pounds.
holycow
I do note the lack of cheekpiece, no dead weight.
I guess that is light enough.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a tip from Gale Johnson, I had 81.43 pounds of 450-gr and 500-gr .458-cal Barnes TSX bullets arrive today.
Amazing. Arrived 2 days after I ordered them through gunbroker.com, and total shipping from Montana to Kentucky was only $16. A dozen bulk bags of 100 bullets per bag.
That was 22 cents per bullet, and 1-1/3 cents shipping per bullet.
holycow
Apparently they were not blems but part of a liquidation on a business closing.
I was happy to benefit.
tu2

Wow RIP; that's a major Score ! WTG !
Rip ...

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
Ripp check the first pic on page 111 of the rifle in the white it is that way at that time 8.5 ish #

so the J.P. Smithson .458 winchester magnum once build blue ed and oil ed with a delta reflex sight snapped in place scaled in at 8.5 # load up six 500 grain round nose hornady's and she sits right at 9 # piped up and full of ammo

still a bit light to load up compressed aa-2230 powder under 550 grain woodleigh soft and solids running 2,100 + fps hot -- you go and do that with her---- well expect to get bitch slapped-- right now

one of us
posted Hide Post
My mistake. 8.5 pounds dry makes sense.
550-grainers at +2100 fps.
Perfect.
Like getting bitch-slapped by Halle.
BTW, pairing chick pics to match 460 Wby rifle pics
could offer a humorous contrast to Ms. 458 WIN contestants.
Nice pair could not be a double entendre with a 460 Wby.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF,
I need to score a big batch of hBN powder now.
Thanks to your suggestion.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
RIP
New from CEB

Put those in your pipes and smoke em'

Make that 650 grain bullet an awesome subsonic round in your 458 WM!

Cutting Edge Bullets announced additions to its Lazers line of projectiles. The new bullets include .408 caliber (in 425, 450 and 475 grain varieties), .416 caliber (in 450, 475, 500, 525 and 550 gr), .458 caliber (in 575, 600 and 650 gr) and .510 caliber (in 750, 800 and 850 gr.) These bullets are a polymer tipped, expanding projectile that was developed for hunting. However, the company states they are also excellent for long range matches.

Read the original article here: http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/shot-show-2019/ . Make sure you visit GunsHolstersAndGear.com for all of the latest gun news, reviews and SHOT Show coverage.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,

Thanks for the headsup on that one. Will check it out.
I was thinking of trying the 1:10" twist, 19.75"-long barrel, on my "custom-long-throated" .458 B&M.
Shrouded in Cosmic Squirrel Top Secrecy, the .458 B&M throat was unknowable, just like Saeed's .375/404J.
They would not tell me what it was, so I asked for Weatherby-ization of my .458 B&M from SSK.
Better the devil you do know than the devil you don't.
That was before I fully understood the virtues of the H&H-coned-up throat of the .458 WIN.
So I got something short of caliber-length PSFB of about 1-thou greater than bullet diameter and a conventional leade.

I will at least be able to use it for a 1:10" versus 1:14" twist comparison for subsonic versus supersonic, with the Lehigh Defense brass bullet previously pictured on this thread.
Then consider the mono-copper-plastic-ballistic-tipped Lazers from CEB.
575-gr, 600-gr and 650-gr .458-caliber needles!
holycow
But hey, Rusty would probably put a .458 WIN throat on my .458 B&M if I asked politely.
Ignorance is no excuse for me now.
.458 B&M LongCOL!

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
RIP
You need a 1 in 8 twist 458 barrel!
Who makes that Confused

PS

Have you seen BFR's 475 Linebaugh?
offtopic

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boom stick,

Ha ha ha you made me look it up.
Both McGowen and Pac-Nor make 1:8" twist .458 barrels.
The .475 Linebaugh BFR too, I looked it up.
If you survived 40 days in a hospital,
you have been to hell and back.
tu2
Rip ...