THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    So what happens in the future here?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what happens in the future here? Login/Join

one of us
posted
You get a feel of time passing when you realise you have been posting on bigbore forums for over 20 years. And assuming we do not crash the earth into the sun etc these conversations will likely outlive us.

So what happens in the future?

Would a site like this eventually wind down, be closed down and the data lost forever?

Will it continue for the next couple generations and people will look back going, this was where the bigbore internet boom really started?

Will you mention in your will or memoirs your usernames on various forums so your kids and grandkids can log in and read what you posted?

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The internet will be studied by future generations in detail. It will be a treasure trove for those who study such things. The interest here imho will be in the documentation of old rifles and development of cartridges as well as the political forum and the hunts.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish Saeed would take a select group of threads: RIPs 458 thread, 400 Whelen Thread, table picture of the rifles books and publish them for us to buy.

I realize this is not possible, but I like books.

Posts: 10756 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer books too. A giant solar flare, or some other type of magnetic catastrophe will render all these 0s & 1s unusable for anything besides a future curiosity about how anyone could be so silly as to expect this digital world to last even 1/2 as long as the pyramids. Castles made of sand, & all that.

It's all so very convenient until it's not. I had a pile of data from a DOS computer that's now inaccessible & useless. I had some files & pictures from a previous Windows computer that are unreadable & unusable due to changes in Windows. This is without any kind of event. Some call it progress, it's little more than folly.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well on that tangent I guess we need to lobby Saeed and the site admins for an accurate reloading book. Maybe a 25 years anniversary special which if I remember correctly to the sites early beginnings would make it 2023. Surely there is enough experience and unique information here to fill a book. This site has multiple unique developments, has notable industry professionals as members, leads the big bore wildcatting and custom bullet making scene, has resurged famous calibres, launched rifle actions and businesses. Plenty of gun writers wrote books with a whole lot less. Saeed looks fine alongside Taylor, Boddington, Matunas, Kieth, cooper etc in my books. In fact with what he created here he would have to be in the top end of that list. Could have a reloading section, notable hunts, surveys from the membership on best calibres, list of industry professionals, wildcats created also put in a word about key threads and some words by key members.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The whole website could probably put on a site for download

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of old threads are not complete, at least on Big Bores. It is like some might have been 5 pages or whatever but might start at the 2nd page and only be that page.

I was Mike375 way back when and sometimes I search on Mike375 and fuck there was some hot threads way back. I have been banned heaps of times but the various names like Mike375 are still there while other will be in plain back and look like <whatever name> A lot of those with the trolls.

The Political forum is cleaned out every couple of months. However, the threads from previous times will be there if you go to someone's profile and bring up their posts. That is how that clown Edmond used to bring back real old threads.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 358WCF:

I had a pile of data from a DOS computer that's now inaccessible & useless. I had some files & pictures from a previous Windows computer that are unreadable & unusable due to changes in Windows.

I would be suprised if you could not get the stuff back. MS DOS commands and coding still works in Windows 10.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yes all the digital is still available. Just not easily available.
A giant solar flare would soon take out far more than the hard drives...Or a low orbit EMP of man made origin for that matter.
Creating a downloadable as PDF's of the site would be darned cool though. One could keep or print if you wanted a "book."

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

I had a pile of data from a DOS computer that's now inaccessible & useless. I had some files & pictures from a previous Windows computer that are unreadable & unusable due to changes in Windows.

I would be suprised if you could not get the stuff back. MS DOS commands and coding still works in Windows 10.

Yeah well... It's all long gone. I moved a lot in the last 20 years & got tired of carrying all the useless crap, like floppy discs & those smaller discs with unusable data. The whole plastic index box is in a landfill somewhere west of here along with about 2/3 of my vinyl & the 8-tracks.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

An AR publication would be awesome - gun chapters, reloading, hunt reports from all the continents, knives, top quality photography and so much more!

We can but hope and dream !!!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2256 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, think I'll stick around and see what happens, Ive got a good start so far!! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've asked Saeed numerous times to put together a book on his personal experiences with Walter and his 'Walterisms'. Eeker So far, nothing. Big Grin Don't hold your breath on all of the other requests! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
AR member Old Sarge wrote one of the best analyses of big bore rifles that I have ever read.

I have not seen him post here in a long time.

I hope he is still with us and doing well.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Interesting, think I'll stick around and see what happens, Ive got a good start so far!! old

Me too, trailing Atkinson's headstart, the old horse gets the handicap.
.458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM PERFECTION
tu2
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original post is interesting with regard to what happens to all these posts when we die. I have an old boss on LinkedIn who died, and I still remember the first time getting some reminder in email that looked like he was contacting me!

Tons of good info here and on other forum sites. Built a 67 Camaro and 350 motor based on input in forums before there were videos. Have tried to archive some of the posts in Word docs myself hoping I can find the info with keywords in the titles, like "Sun Position and Shooting Iron Sights" or "Chambering Crooked Barrel" or "Issues with WSM Model 70 Threads" or "Darcy Echols Magazine Box width" or "Grandview on stock design". Love this site.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I hadn't really thought of it .. I think Dave, Rob, Ron, Neil, 458only, and even perhaps me, will be remembered as some of the loons of the big bores ... While not like Ackley or Keith, perhaps a footnote with the same.

then again, I am not nostalgic, in the least - perhaps my small works will make people smile, or find some tiny bit of inspiration ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38441 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate this site,made life long friends,gained knowledge,experienced Africa,among other things,this site opened up a lot of what's out there for me tu2 AR members are pretty special in my book,some really good people on here including Saeed Wink

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Reminded of Samuel Pepys pressing his nose against a tavern window during the plague, I wonder if someone might print it all out, or at least a condensed version, to be studied by future aficionados.

While newspapers and magazines have editors and fact checkers to filter false news, they also have managers with a keen eye on their owners' politics and the interests of their advertisers. AR, though, the most gentlemanly of all shooting fora Smiler, may have the odd troll and astroturfer but is generally a place where truth and honest opinion can be found free from censorship.

Posts: 4937 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer books too. A giant solar flare, or some other type of magnetic catastrophe will render all these 0s & 1s unusable for anything besides a future curiosity about how anyone could be so silly as to expect this digital world to last even 1/2 as long as the pyramids. Castles made of sand, & all that.

It's all so very convenient until it's not. I had a pile of data from a DOS computer that's now inaccessible & useless. I had some files & pictures from a previous Windows computer that are unreadable & unusable due to changes in Windows. This is without any kind of event. Some call it progress, it's little more than folly.

please be careful about what you say regarding 0's and 1's. They are interchangeable in today's culture. Any 0 can become a 1 and so on. And any 1 or 0 that refuses to be defined can assert that they are 1/0.

I'm looking at all of the binary code I wrote in the 80's and 90's and changing all the ones to fours, and all the 0's to something else, so I won't get cancelled.

In fact 'big bores' should be renamed to 'bores of any size'

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
You get a feel of time passing when you realise you have been posting on bigbore forums for over 20 years. And assuming we do not crash the earth into the sun etc these conversations will likely outlive us.

Would a site like this eventually wind down, be closed down and the data lost forever?

Will it continue for the next couple generations and people will look back going, this was where the bigbore internet boom really started?

Will you mention in your will or memoirs your usernames on various forums so your kids and grandkids can log in and read what you posted?
I don't know,,,, are you sure that in 2 more generations that anyone will even care.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:

Karl to be honest I think we are a dying breed. I cant relate at all to much of what is "in vogue" now. I mean take one of Mark Rippetoe's (old school power lifter) famous quotes;

"Poor Form is the result of insufficient yelling"

That style resonates with me, as does hunting, firearms, lifting weights, eating meat and generally trying to be as far removed from being a "karen" or "snowflake" as is possible for me.

The modern male likes tight jeans, pedicures and shopping with their girlfriends.....

we are dinosaurs and close to extinction I fear.

Will there be a reset ? not sure, only thing I think that will "disrupt" the current trend is a MAJOR conflict. Then and only then will State and Local Governments forget about hiring more Diversity and Inclusion Officers, and maybe things could get back to some semblance of normality. And a war will not be a positive for the globe either, we all understand that.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My sister died unexpectedly at 49 from an aneurysm. Her whole life was stored online somewhere - it still is, but no one knows how to get to the pictures or letters. Even in the digital age I used to hand write letters to her and she'd write back as well. When she died, we found those letters I wrote to her, which I took back and now store with her responses to me. There aren't many, but at least they are there...

As far as AR - excepting what happens in the crater, the amount of knowledge floating around here is astounding, especially when it comes to big bores, doubles, english guns, and the like. And the people I've gotten to know who I now call friends I could have likely met no where else. Having a connection via AR is kind of like a secret handshake, whereby the association confers with it a certain regard and understanding between otherwise unfamiliar people. It's good stuff I think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am working on a similar concern with my Master Naturalists organization. What currently exists on line will not exist or at least not be accessible at some point in the future. If it is not on a system somewhere and catalogued, it's as good as gone.
I spoke with an archivist on this the other day and she was referring to this as what will become the dark ages of information retention, because people think everything that's done digitally will be out there, somewhere forever, and much of it won't.
Data storage depends on atoms remaining in an orderly arrangement for very long times. They are not designed to stay that way.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goes with the wind in time. The internet is not the best place to hold History, only the written word can make that claim..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
... all the more reason you should write that book, Ray.

The Internet certainly carries the written word but electronic media move along. We have old texts on floppy disks and CDs but finding a slot for them gets harder every day.

Codex books have worked for many centuries and, though kids don't want to look at them, will last as long as fire and water are kept at bay - and can be read simply by opening.

Posts: 4937 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The future generations will have no interest in guns or hunting........

Posts: 2535 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The future generations will have no interest in guns or hunting........

I fear the same. I can see them asking "people could own their own guns way back then?" :-(

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not so sure that future generations will have no interest in hunting.

It will undoubtedly change in form, but it is a primal urge.

As to the future, who knows. I wouldn’t be surprised if my nieces and nephew give most of my hunting stuff, diaries, pictures, and trophies to a museum, and that it ends up moldering away somewhere.

Who knows.

But the way it is now, I suspect it will be available, just you would really need to search and do some work to find it.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My bunch of grandsons are doing their part for our future generations. I furnish their rifles and load their ammo. We started on trap shooting and dove hunting and on to Deer and Elk. I took two grandsons Elk hunting when they turned 14 after starting on Deer. One took his first Elk with a .338 Lapua at 14 and has accounted for many trophy Deer. They also like the meat and take several Does each year. One grandsons wife does it all and takes many ducks and deer each year. A great grandson has several Deer to his credit and has his eyes on many year of shooting and hunting. They are debating on who will carry on with the reloading and get all my stuff that will last them their lifetimes. I encourage it all and furnish all guns and ammo. Two of them are dedicated Duck hunters and while I don’t reload shotguns I supply them a case to start the season. The year before last they shot three cases altogether. I feel good about my bunch carrying on in the future and hope there are many others like us. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys; I turned 42 over the weekend and I am young for this stuff. We are being bread out. Young people from hunting families are not only leaving, but becoming antis as evidence by reports of our members here.

Posts: 10756 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I've done my bit for my 3 sons + 2 grandsons. They were brought up in it. One of my sons just got remarried + his wife has 2 boys that are enamoured with guns, so we positively feed that interest in letting them shoot under supervision + learning how to clean (+ fondle) them.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Guys; I turned 42 over the weekend and I am young for this stuff. We are being bread out. Young people from hunting families are not only leaving, but becoming antis as evidence by reports of our members here.

32 not 42!

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Maybe 62 since your short term memory is failing lol

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is finger dexterity issues typing on this damn I pad.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I've got a work Iphone and I hate the damn thing, they make me have it.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Chuck375, Prof. Devra Davis says that cell phones are provably deleterious - so if you get cancer of the testicles or a brain tumor, don't forget to sue your employer before you peg out.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Well testicles I'm gonna worry about lol

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I believe Hemingway chose a more than decent shotgun.

Jacques Lott chose a Webley Mk. VI, if memory serves.

There are worse choices, but for me, I would hope there may be a warm bed.

And I am certain there will be ample insurance. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are optimists, pessimists, and then there are realists who have all voiced their views of the future -- being unable to look beyond today.

I'm more of a futurist and happy to know The One who holds the future in His hands, just as He has the past -- the same yesterday, today and forever the same. My past forgiven, my present fulfilling and my future under His eternal care.

Bob
www.bigborefan.wordpress.com

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 845 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote