THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    MILLING Bridge to accept Picatinny or Weaver Style Rings?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MILLING Bridge to accept Picatinny or Weaver Style Rings? Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Has anyone done this on their CZ 550 or other?

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ makes a one-piece Picatinny rail to fit the integral bases of action with no machining:

But it is higher and not as strongly attached as this one from Bubba Gunwerkes,
the Double-Seyfried-Schtick 2-Piece Picatinny (DSS-2PP):

Actually Bubba hand filed and hacksawed this, then attached by 8X40 screws (4 of them) and J-B WELD epoxy.
The drilling and tapping was by a Master Gunsmith employed by Bubba.
Notice the recoil stop on the front Picatinny,
Bubba's design.

Bubba's design for 1-Piece Picatinny (1PP) lacks thumb cut as in middle of the DSS-2PP:

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What’s wrong with just using rings that fit the dove tail?

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Nothing at all..i have 2 sets of Alaskan 30mm rings but they don't make lows..these are mediums..
The nature of a CZ bridge is already high and with say a 30mm straight tube scope it just sits to dang high ..with a big bell no problem...

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Similar to this...
how to upload a photo on fb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by will227457:
What’s wrong with just using rings that fit the dove tail?

When the scope has a short mounting length required between the rings it is a problem.

When greater eye relief requires moving the scope forward it may also be a problem.

If neither of the above applies to your chosen scope, then the OEM CZ rings mounted on the integral bases are perfect,
strong as any when properly torqued in the main mounting screws.
CZ called them "medium" in height.
Lower rings than that may be a problem with many scopes having large ocular bells,
because the bolt handle is blocked from functioning by striking that ocular bell.

Warne used to make a LOW QD-Lever ring.
The only scope I could use them with had the tiny ocular bell of the Leupold 2.5X20mm Ultralight,
and even then the front ring was encroaching around the objective lens mounting near the end of the scope, the scope was so short.
More prone to breakage because of that.

Warne MEDIUMS work with bigger ocular bells, allowing bolt to open and close.
Warne quit making the LOW.
Alaska Arms probably does not make LOW CZ rings for the same reason.

There are reasons for wanting a Picatinny, 1-piece or 2-piece.
Greater desirability comes in how low and how strong the mount can be, and the greater variety of ring spacings, heights, types, and allowing more than just two rings to be used.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I did a couple "legacy mausers" this way . was easy with a carbide cutter in my CNC. it "worked" .. but only allowed 2 positions on the rear, like the action you showed.

i wouldn't do it again ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love rails on my long range guns, but much prefer rings on my wood stocked guns.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not my cup of tea, have had good luck with talley QDs and Kimbers to a lesser degree..and on wood stocked guns as Im not a plastic fan and lean towards the English rifles of yesteryear...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
My ALASKAN ARMS 30MM Rings are Med Height (.450) does anyone make them in "LOW" ? killpc