Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 Nitro-Buff pics added Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from a week in NT (Australia)buff hunting.A week of mixed fortune.Hot as hell and as humid as a sauna.
First outing with the 500 Nitro double.
First buff ran several kilometers with a few 570 gn Wood.s in place-finished up soon enough but messy.
Projectile tests on dead bull showed good mushrooming on a chest shot with a soft-but not complete penetration.Solid whistled through both shoulders.
Next bull copped a 570 soft in the shoulder,went down then regained his footing and went to bolt.
At this point I was tired of pissing around and (despite the PH's reservations) opened up with Wood. solids.They struck like the Hammer of Thor!The next shot hit the bull VERY hard,the next dropped him like a rabbit hit with a 222.Unfortunately another very large bull wheeled around behind the target animal and a solid that had gone through both shoulders of bull number one penetrated bull number two breaking the nearest rib,traversing the chest,breaking but not penetrating the far rib.We found it the next day during the autopsy looking in perfect condition except for the rifling marks.Both animals died within 60 seconds of the shooting stopping,about 20 yards apart.You would have to have seen it to believe it!
Animal weights as estimated by PH at the end of this incident-buff one 650kgs,buff two 850 kgs.
Final impression-with the 500 on big animals use solids,the Wood. soft are too soft but the solids are great.
Softs are for limp dicks in this diameter rifle.
But be prepared for the extra trophy fee sting.
Will post pics of projectile ASAP.In the meantime here are the two buffs after being dragged together with the Landcruiser.

[[/b]

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More pics-this was the mates buff shot with a 338 Win,225 Barnes

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sweet.. wish I had been there with you

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Australia & NZ is the one place on earth many Americans want to go and spend as much time as possible.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Australia & NZ is the one place on earth many Americans want to go and spend as much time as possible.

Yes it is. Would have loved to have been there.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Wombat, when you mount your two bulls on the wall. You need to put "The Bullet" in a frame between them.

I too, would have liked to have been there.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
depends on the construction of the soft........im going to be using 600 grain pp woodleighs in my 505 and guys have shot buff hippo and body shots on elephant with excellent resuclts......

i use only solids for any elephant hunting be to each thir owen.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:

Ausralia and New Zealand are two places. New Zealanders are good at Rugby, Aussy has better looking shielas.

sofa

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:

Ausralia and New Zealand are two places. New Zealanders are good at Rugby, Aussy has better looking shielas.

sofa

Now that's good info!!! lol

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice bulls, congratulations on a great hunt. I hope to hunt buffalo, banteng and scrub bull in the Great Outback myself one day...definitely on the wish list!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
oldun: Australia and New Zealand are two places.

I'm a bubba for good reason! homer

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
before you move, sell me most of your guns, all of the handguns, and autoloaders, etc. The aussie and kiwi govts. make Canada and the UK look like gunowners paradises.

Rich

PS: saw too many vietnamese kids riding these "monsters" around rice paddies like a show pony to appreciate "hunting" one.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote