THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Light softs and heavy solids

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light softs and heavy solids Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Anybody ever had any luck getting .375 250 A-Frame to shoot near the same POI as 300 grain monolithic solids? (.375 H&H)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36480 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the gun, I have owned a few that shot any load to the same POI, thats why as many guns as I trade and sell, not one of then will ever be sold, will go to my kids..You can go through a lot of guns to find what your looking for, if you find one, it may be tomarrow or 50 years from now, so if one pops up buy that sucker pronto..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Looking through my reloading records for my one (now gone) 375 H&H:

using RL-15
- 68grains for the 260 (so might need a pinch more for 250)

- 66grains for the 300

Same point of impact at 200 yards from my notes.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love real world data. Ran CCMdoc’s numbers thru qload for 250 and 300g Swifts. The barrels times almost identical (optimum barrel time analysis) and the point of impact at 200yds, for 75yd zero, were only 0.4” apart!
Thanks Doc.

Posts: 344 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve505:
I love real world data. Ran CCMdoc’s numbers thru qload for 250 and 300g Swifts. The barrels times almost identical (optimum barrel time analysis) and the point of impact at 200yds, for 75yd zero, were only 0.4” apart!
Thanks Doc.

Real world results from different rifles won’t be the same as a software prediction.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Before I saw the good Drs post above this is what I worked out…the hard way.

Swift A frame
250 gr
71 gr R-15

CEB solid 300gr
73 gr R-15

This loading right on top of each other

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36480 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a double, many will do that with just a grain or two as your moving POI with velocity..Most of my Big Bores shoot softs and solids together with an extra grain of powder added to the solids load.

Keep in mind with a double, it will only shoot a group the size of the "least accurate barrel". Regulation is one thing, sighting in a double is another, they are not the same.

The world of the double has little to do with what works and how things work with the bolt action rifle..but that another thread, one you seldom see...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote