THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Perceptions about 375Ruger and 416Ruger
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perceptions about 375Ruger and 416Ruger Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Try IMGUR.com. They are still free.

And we would enjoy a picture of the possible.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I am busy flying out camp as bear season begins in less than a week

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
We'll settle for a picture of the 416 Ruger with a bear.  Wink

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Postimage.org is easier to use than Imgur.
Instructions on how to use it are in the suggestions forum here on AR.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Has anybody converted a Model 70 Post 64 Classic to the 375/416 Ruger?

I have my last squirreled away left hand Classic in 7 Mag and an Echols Legend stock sitting around and have been toying with the project.

Is it a straight rebarrel using the existing mag box or does it necessitate the non-existent RUM mag boxes/follower?

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These conversations are always ruined by the mention of the 30-06!! all the 375 will do is toss another 100 grs. of bullet void of section density at about the same velocity..and who would shoot a bear with that, its a 243!! stir

Im not much on caliber, but I am on bullet construction within reason of course and reason is of little value on these blogs..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jmj888,
Yes sir you can do that...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A picture of PHil is all you need, then you will understand he created the perfect custom rifle..at least geographically.. Big Grin and he is about as rough cut as an old bear! jumping

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
ONe thing Ive not seen mention of is the .338 Win. will out penetrate the 375 and 416, and we proved this one day long ago on dead elephants with brain shots...If it were legal, Id be perfectly content to hunt all the animals of the world with a 338, the only reason it didn't make the grade under the law is because it did not exist at the time, and Lord knows todays African politicians simple dont make changes unless of course their palm is crossed..Winchester might give that some consideration.. rotflmo

I have shot buffalo with the .338 and it kills as well as anything else for sure if you stick your bullet in those big lungs and heart, and that is not all that difficult..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it was Jack Atcheson (Sr?) who said: "The 375 kills buffalo, but the 416 numbs them."

I don't have a rifle in either cartridge, but I don't load any of my African hunting cartridges 'hot' so the higher pressure of the 375/416 Ruger doesn't bother me. I like to load all the 416s just a little over a 450-400 or 404J, 2150-2200fps.

Ray, I agree 100% on the 338s. A quality bullet with that super-high SD & all the velocity you want/need. The Aussies have whacked piles of water buffalo with the 338. I believe it was detailed in the book "Where Lions Roar" that Boddington shot a Tanzanian cape buff with the 338 Ultra when it was first brought out.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
+1 for the .338 Win Mag.

Of course my 1895 .405 and 1886 45-90 have taken Cape Buff too.
Both shot through some buff with the right bullets.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 for the 338WM.

I've not hunted Africa as much as some here on the forum, but I've been hunting there off and on since 2001. I've taken more animals on safari with my 338WM (22) than the other eight calibers I have taken. It is such a great 'all rounder' for Africa.

I think it is partly so because it is my main choice for both a DG and a PG safari. It is the perfect light rifle with my 404 Jeffery for a DG hunt, and is also the perfect heavy rifle for a PG hunt with a 25-06 (or 264, 270, 280, etc.).

Others will argue for a simple one rifle 'battery' for a safari as ideal and it is simplicity itself. But I like to take two rifles always for two reasons: 1) back up and 2) 'better' options for the targeted game.

This will probably bring us back to the original calibers of this post, namely the 375, which I find as the perfect all-rounder for Africa as a 1-rifle battery.

But as I said, I like (2) rifles on safari generally. And that would bring me to my 'perfect' 2-rifle African battery for ALL game: 458 Lott & 375 H&H. YMMV.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger African model is the best thing since the pre 64 Win.as to feel and what a rifle should be, its the berrys short of a full blown custom rifle, and certainly more logical for hunting..

I also like the stainless 338 in a boat paddle stock for a cold wet hunt in Idahos high country. its tough, feels good and I have one to swap out on my wood stocked African..If I sell the gun, I will keep the stock for other Rugers..I had a picture wherein I shot an elk some years ago and it shows that boat paddle stock stuck upright in the snow, and it would make a good club for killing a charging pair of bears!! faint jumping

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those boat paddle stocks are hell for stout aren't they!

I have two of them in 300WM & 338WM that I bought about 20-25 years ago whenever it was that they first came out. They both have the factory open sights that came with them back then. I guess they eventually dropped the open sights, which I think was a mistake on Ruger's part, but I'm no marketing genius either. Smiler

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The Ruger African model is the best thing since the pre 64 Win.as to feel and what a rifle should be, its the berrys short of a full blown custom rifle, and certainly more logical for hunting..

I also like the stainless 338 in a boat paddle stock for a cold wet hunt in Idahos high country. its tough, feels good and I have one to swap out on my wood stocked African..If I sell the gun, I will keep the stock for other Rugers..I had a picture wherein I shot an elk some years ago and it shows that boat paddle stock stuck upright in the snow, and it would make a good club for killing a charging pair of bears!! faint jumping

Certainly a better choice than the Hogue stock ! Ray, I think you remember that was what my daughter attempted to use after a sow with two young attacked her client. After the sow died at the foot of the client she had to dispatch the Cubs, ran the magazine of her 375 Ruger dry so thought she would finish the little Cub with the butt of her rifle.
I guess the rifle bounced off and the wounded little 120 pound Cub still had a lot of fight left in him !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
On my 338 and 06 MKII I find the boat paddle stocks tougher then all get out.

In prefer the more conventional syt stock on my 416 MKII.

Empty firearms make piss poor clubs

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
I recall that incident from SCI as I recall, that gal is one tough cookie!! Im surprised all the bears in your country havn't moved to Yellowstone where their safe!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
yes its one tough stock and actually can be used as a boat paddle, on hot day you could probably fry eggs on it! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
yes its one tough stock and actually can be used as a boat paddle, on hot day you could probably fry eggs on it! tu2

Take it from A voice of experience, being more of an I- beam shape, they make miserable boat paddles !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The left handed 416 Ruger that I have ,was originally a 375 Ruger , as Ruger ,in their wisdom ,didn’t believe that us left handers needed anything bigger than a 375.
I have taken buffalo in the NT with it with great success

Posts: 29 | Location: QLD Australia | Registered: 17 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The past two months I've had pain or restricted movements in my shoulder. The length of time makes this likely to be a shoulder bursitis. Most of this time I did not have access to shooting although I did some load testing with a few calibers (308, 338, 375Ruger) just under two weeks ago. The shoulder didn't seem any worse, though not any better, either. there wasn't any special pain when shooting, just the normal rocking off of the rests at times. I do wear a Limbsaver shooting pad when I do load testing on the bench.

Have others experienced small bouts of bursitis and did it affect shooting larger bores or shooting in general? Any specific advice?

I hope to shoot about ten 375 loads and ten 338 loads later this week, mixed in with some 223 and 308, so I may have more data on the issue. Since I'm into my 70's, it would be good to know if shooting can be expected to continue normally, or might this limit hunting with heavier loads?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have others experienced small bouts of bursitis and did it affect shooting larger bores or shooting in general? Any specific advice?

Let it completely heal.

If you keep aggravating it it well never heal.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Agree with 416 Tanz on letting that shoulder heal.

While I still dream of Hunting Africa, after 2 business trips there that flamed my interest, as a working R&D Chef of 30 years, you can be sure that shoulder injuries take more time to heal than others.

Now I only shoot 4-5 rounds from my 458 Win Mag, or 450/400 Ruger #1 Nitro." Just to keep my eye in."

I spend more time with mild loaded 30-06s, to remain proficient. Shoulders take awhile, but can be rehabilitated after a year or so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB416:
The left handed 416 Ruger that I have ,was originally a 375 Ruger , as Ruger ,in their wisdom ,didn’t believe that us left handers needed anything bigger than a 375.

so you just put a rh barrel 416 ruger on a lh 375 action?

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:

I had a left handed friend here in Alaska do the same thing. Ruger only made LH 375 Ruger's and he wanted a 416. So he bought a RH 416, swapped barrels, and sold the RH 375.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:

I had a left handed friend here in Alaska do the same thing. Ruger only made LH 375 Ruger's and he wanted a 416. So he bought a RH 416, swapped barrels, and sold the RH 375.

thank you very much phil. i was under the impression that the indexing of LH and RH will put them upside down for the open sights... thank you so much now i got some projects to think ...

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do really like the 338 Winchester & 416 Ruger and Remington, as well as the 375 H&H. But, if I had to choose one for my particular hunting, it would most certainly be the 375 Ruger.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more "thang" all you pre 64 300 H&H rifle officiendos claim, making sure everyone knows they "feed slick'n snot", and they do, but all of todays rifles feed well, some need slicking up and so do some pre 64s..

The blessing of the 300 and 375 H&H is not the feeding particularly its the extraction such as a swollen tight case, the taper allows the H&H case with its nice taper to extract better than any other case design in history..and thats a plus and a fact..

I still have the nostalgia and respect for the H&H and always will, but my go to 375 is the Ruger for the first time in 86 years, happened by accident...Like me the H&H is simi retired, getting old, and slowing down, and the new kid is making its move! and a big one it is!~ old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120