THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Using big bores on smaller animals
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using big bores on smaller animals Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see a lot these days of folks wanting to use a real big bore on deer and elk for instance, and expecting terrifying results of Dead right there and gutted waithing for hanging...

This is going to be unfavorable expectations..

Using these big bores on game results in kills much like one would expect with a 30-06 or 30-30 for that matter..A good hit, a 25 to 50 yard run and dead, nothing exciting or should be expected..The bullets are usually hard, jackets too thick to expand on light bodies..AS A RULE.

If you want those dRT experiences use a light fast bullet such as a 257 Wby, 220 swift and expect lots of bloodshot meat..

Lot to be said for the 30-06 and its ilk in the deer and elk country or for camp meat on safari..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ray, I have not done it, but I have often wondered about using a .450, .470 or .500, with a flat nosed solid, on deer sized animals.

The good thing about a big bore bullet is that, straight out of the muzzle, it will already nearly (or actually) have the diameter of an expanded .28 or .30 caliber bullet.

My sense is that a big bore would be effective, and would not spoil much meat, either.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The only reason I do it, is that I don't get to hunt as much anymore and want to be really comfortable shooting my 500 Jeffery. It really is hell on jack rabbits. I have an old (Japan model) Weatherby Mark V in 270 Weatherby I'm getting to know. Plan to use that as well.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray,
So far, everything that I have shot with my .405 WCF has been a DRT one shot kill. From red deer to water buffalo (DIMA - dead in mid air) Naturally this has a lot to do with shot placement, North Fork bullets, etc.
Same rifle with 400 grain Woodie put a bullet through the heart of my Cape Buff, but it did not know it was dead and began to walk, so another 400 Grain Woodie through the pelvis ended that game.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of Texas game with my .416.

Posts: 9993 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a prairie dog with a 300WM with 200gr bullet. He crawled back to his hole but died just before going in. After shooting all of the dogs in that dog town we walked down to survey the damage. Well that little guy had a 30cal hole going in and a 30cal hole going out of his rib cage.
I've also shot rabbits with it and had almost the same result. 200gr bullets were just to hard for those tiny little bodies to cause them to expand any.

Years ago my neighbor's best friend went deer hunting with us. He had a Win Mod 70 in 375 H&H. They were all laughing about it but it was his only rifle he had left after his house had been broken into. He shot a deer with it and had to track that deer for a good while before finding it. I have no idea what ammo he used but it didn't look like it expanded on the deer.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed a good sized sage rat @ 50yds with a 375 H&H. Other than a bigger hole, the result wasn't any different than that of a 22rf @ the same distance.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
The 30 cal hole story reminds me of a story:

Several years ago, while sneaking along a ridge top in central Texas (Comanche County to be more exact) in search of deer, a feral house cat spooked right at my feet and ran to my left.
Instinct took over and my M70 .308 came up and fired, and put a hole the size of my fist in the middle of the fleeing cat. The dead cat was only about 5 steps away and I left it for the scavengers to clean up.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I've shot a lot of Texas game with my .416.

Me too. Works great. I have been very surprised how easily 400gr Swift A-frames open on light game yet hold together exceptionally well on heavy game and bone!

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like always, it’s shot placement. I was deer hunting with a new .375 and 300 grain soft points when I came upon a small buck tangled in a barbed wire fence. Looked like at least one hip was dislocated and, with no help available, I couldn’t see a good outcome resulting from any attempt to free him. So I decided to put him out of his misery and harvest the meat.

The bullet hit him in the spine from what normally would have been “above” him. Resulted in an entrance wound that you could have easily put a grapefruit through.

Still not as bad as shooting a turkey with 300 grain soft from a .375…

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn,t intend to give the impression that big bores don't kill, they do and they leave good blood trails when they run, but in most cases you can expect them to run 25 to 100 yards and die, expect the bullets not to open on light bodied animals..Ive had that happen many times, with the 404, 416, even my 470. Seen it many more times,and of course some are instant kills..and in my opinnion if you want spoiled meat, blood shot mess, use the fast killing light for caliber bulllets on small game, lot of DRT with that combo and then sometimes you never recover them..I have shot more African PG for the pot with solids in my big bores as they are targets of opertunity while hunting DG..They always kill but seldom instantly has been my experience...I was comenting on those with little experience who say "that big ole gun will blow a deer up too much ruined to eat" I get that a lot in whitetail camps etc..the they are amazed that as Elmer said, you can eat right up to the hole and he ain't far wrong on that..If you have had different results, count your lucky stars..but in the end all this makes little difference in the scheme of things.. shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have used 2505, 270, 7mmm, 338, 375, 416 on all sorts of small game.

Never noticed any of them killed any better.

One animal would run a hundred yards, another one would drop stone dead.

Happens with the above mentioned calibers.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66902 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bigger bore the more "thump" it has! Thus the bigger has a better chance of a DRT. This year's white tail buck was with a 350 grain 416 Ruger. I hit him a little far back. Did he run? Yes, about 50 foot! I shot a small buck with a 458 Lott, less meat damage than a similar 270 shot! Knocked more down with the big bores with far less meat loss! Fellow explained it to me" Its like BBQ, its all good some is just better!

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I used a bolt action 45-70 for hunting squirrels and turkeys.
13 grains of Unique, 250 grain cast swc does a fine job of dropping a buck-toothed critter. The old gentleman that I gave them to didn't mind the big hole one bit.
A 400 grain cast bullet with a healthy load of IMR 4064 in the head or neck drops the bird right now. Hitting the bird in the breast does does drop him but messes up the meat a bit.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 375 Ruger on Whitetail, Cow Elk, turkey (neck shots) Big Euro boar.

Hunted black bear with a 500 Nitro, but did not see one.

Posts: 10781 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the results would be firing big handgun bullets from a rifle.

Like a 300-400gr Jacketed Flat Point for a 475 Linebaugh fired from a 470 Nitro rifle.

Unfortunately, I don't own a 470 Nitro rifle, but I do have a 13" 470 Nitro pistol.....haven't shot anything with it, yet.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love hunting everything and anything with big bores, but out of experience I get far more DRT impalas with the 308Win than with the 416s.

Bullets must be matched to game for spectacular kills, as for me I worry more about proper release of the trigger than the bullet or calibre when confronting marauding impalas.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use a solid then it needs to be a flat nose so as to do some serious damage.

Posts: 190 | Location: rockdale, texas | Registered: 01 October 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Almost all of my Tiny Ten were shot with the 375 H&H using Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer solids. Other small African critters were also killed with the same bullet and caliber as well. Big Grin One hole going in and one hole going out, as long as you don't shoot through bone or shoulder, etc. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use solids, then break both shoulders on Impala, Springbok, etc..and yes a flat nose solid is somewhat more effective on the larger stuff, I never could tell much difference on the smaller animals, woodleighs RN solids worked for me. GS Customs flat nose work, the cup point was always a favorite of mine for DG and smaller animals.

Allow me to elucidate on the subject and suggest if one is intent on using big bores and "solids", then the bigger the hole in the bore, the better they work on big or small game..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I killed two does on opening day with my .358 Norma Magnum. I was using 180 grain cast flat nose bullets with 32 grains of AA 5744.

Both were in the middle of a field, both ran for the trees, both barely made it. Both bullets exited, leaving a substantial blood trail.

Today, I'll be hunting with my .35 Newton, using a similar load. Both shoot one hole groups at 100 yards.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is like some saying a 416 kills better than a 375!

All a load of ignorant bullshit!

Arm chair thoughts.

Totally unsupported by field experience!

Posts: 66902 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
This is like some saying a 416 kills better than a 375!

All a load of ignorant bullshit!

Arm chair thoughts.

Totally unsupported by field experience!

I believe the correct term is Ballistic Masturbation

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4191 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like food for thought, Ive shot a lot of Plains game doe deer with solids and most, not all, ran up to 25 to 100 yards, with a 416 404 9.3x64..

I base this solely on what Ive seen, and not saying they don't kill, they do but seldom even with softs to they drop at the shot unless you break both showder, I talking only heart lung shots, Heck Ive seen the same thin with the 30-06 with softs, so no big deal..

If everything one shoots drops on the spot, thats when the masterbation starts!! stir

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michigan and other States have gone to minimum 35 caliber 1.8" case. There's a lot of whitetails shot with 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster. They might not be long range but large bore calibers but under 200 yards they have done the job 100'000 of times, in the past several years.
Myself the first year that 35 caliber 1.8"+ could be used I contacted Cutting Edge Bullets told them they had a muzzleloader bullet that I would like to use in the 450 Bushmaster. Dan sent be a couple hundred 452" 160 gr Raptors with out the sabot to load in the 450 Bushmaster. I did some load development and got them going 2686 fps in a 20" AR gun. The next year in a bolt action I safely pushed them to 2875 fps.
I've shot over the past several years many bucks with the rifles only 1 went 20 yards all the rest were DRT. Great hunting a suburban farm of only 60 acres, with homes surrounding.
I can say also blood shot meat was a minimum with all behind the shoulder shots.

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have shot pigeons with a 460 Weatherby Magnum. clap

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Watch it! Watch it! Boom! Poof!

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually not.

It made a big hole in the pigeon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed two does at the first of the season with my .358 Norma Magnum. The load was a 180 grain gas check cast bullet on top of 32 grains of AA5744. I'm having to learn to shoot left handed and the .358 is one of my few left handed bolt action rifles.
Both deer fled for the trees and just barely made it before succumbing. The bullets were not recovered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michigan and other States have gone to minimum 35 caliber 1.8" case. There's a lot of whitetails shot with 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster. They might not be long range but large bore calibers but under 200 yards they have done the job 100'000 of times, in the past several years.

I have a cousin in-law that shoots 60 to 100 deer each year. doing crop damage.

He use a 357max out of a 22inch contender and a 180 gr bullet says it works well.

I have a 357 max contender with a 16.5 barrel that has accounted for 40 or so.

The youngers using it just love it.

4.5 lbs short and handy.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as shooting critters with a big more.

I have shot from Pdogs to bears with my 416T

The best was my 16yoa daughter shooting a porcupine with it.

A 350gr mag tip did the job.

I told her she was most likely the only girl to do that for a long ways.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often shoot pigs with my 400 H&H rifle on driven hunts. I have two reasons for this: one, I am training for an upcoming hunt in Africa, and the other, it is a pure pleasure for me to shoot this weapon. I have always been a bigger caliber proponent, but no fast caliber proponent. Bigger bullet travelling at moderate velocity is the standard formula for the meat hunter I represent.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
While most of my hunting is done with my .257 Weatherby, I have taken plenty of squirrels, woodchucks, a turkey, a couple of rabbits, some whitetail, an elk, a few impala, kudu, couple of blue wildebeest and a couple of Cape Buffalo with my .416 Weatherby.

The .416 is always fun - especially when someone asks “You needed that to hunt rabbits?!”

I might give the being-built 600OK a try on white tails in 2022.

Merry Christmas all!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The longest death dash after a good hit that I have experienced while hunting elk was a rag horn bull I shot with a perfectly placed ( broadside, high double lung shot ) 400 gr. soft nose bullet from my .450-400 3" Nitro express. Elk was approx 100 M away, and ran over 200 M before tipping over in a thick patch of spruce. Small pieces of lung were hanging on the branches on the exit wound side. I have experienced about a dozen much quicker kills with similar shot placement with .308, 7x57, and .35 Whelen. Not sure why this bull hung on to life so stubbornly. In my experience of "Once" using an "elephant rifle" was no more decisive than much more moderate choices. I also suspect the bonded / thick jacket bullet was too tough for the job I chose it to do.

Posts: 233 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:

Merry Christmas all!

Another Overkill in the works? I recall you having one prior to the VC 600? Or was that a 585 AHR?

Merry Christmas!

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best I ever did was our first safari to Tanzania with Pierre. My wife really wanted to a Guinea Fowl for feathers which she had never seen before (this was before we knew they were easily buyable in the states). A "discussion" was had with the game scout and off we went to hunt Guinea fowl with a 375 H&H. Got one, but I had to hold it very carefully for the picture so it still sort of looked like a bird...

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:

Merry Christmas all!

Another Overkill in the works? I recall you having one prior to the VC 600? Or was that a 585 AHR?

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas Brandon,

I have had 2 600 OK and got my dad a 585AHR. Used in Zimbabwe on Cape buffalo.

Yep, you’re right, sold my last 600 OK - an AHR built on a Granit Mountain Action to get my 600NE.

Still have the 600 NE and dad still has the 585AHR (FUN with Trailboss).

Bought and have has a SS MRC PH action since they were first made and finally figured “Time to get it done.”

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
guess i'll say it.
the 45-70 has been working on deer elk moose and buffalo since like 1870 or so.
I'd imagine a few shots on bunnies have been made somewhere in all that time.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I take every opportunity for fun and keeping my eye in etc in shooting big calibers on smaller game. I’ve shot multiple impala, even fish, with my Gibbs .505 and NE .577. They have not just DRT but typically pirouetted or somersaulted. I ve been using my .458 Lott’s for deer hunting. Not quite as impressive as the big two but still very effective, and if it was legal, I d use the two big ones for deer. Use TSX for all of them. I usually take a double 45-70 for PG in Africa and also use it for deer season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a few deer and pigs with my 458 AccRel. One pig the guy with me said “ I have never seen the ground hit a pig that hard!

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote