THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .395 GSC, 398 LM and NEW: .395 Tatanka as "Forty-Ought-Seven"
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.395 GSC, 398 LM and NEW: .395 Tatanka as "Forty-Ought-Seven" Login/Join

one of us
posted
The RIPoff Line of Cartridges continues its innovative offerings with another truly unique cartridge: .395 Tatanka

It will be known as the ".398 Lapua Magnum" for headstamp purposes until proper brass is available, if ever. thumb

First you neck up .338 Lapua Magnum to .375 with an RCBS .30 to .375 expander. Then you use a .416 Rigby die with expander button that has been turned down to .394". Then you seat a home-made .395 bullet while waiting for GSC bullets to arrive.

The solid lines are centimeter rulings. The dotted lines are 1/2" apart.

Brass length is 2.695" as necked up, COL is 3.750", meant for a CZ and a Satterlee Stainless Magnum Mauser with integral Weaver-Picatinny.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like a screamer! Smiler

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z375,
Thank you very much.
Predicted .395/340grain GSC HV/FN/SP at 2800 fps, no more.

Love your signature line. That was believed to be an old saying by an American Indian. Now it is an "Indian Saying" for sure. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are making tremendous headway! How long before you "blood" a rifle and I guess new bullet diameter?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Torque,
Headway? Yes, it's mostly in my head. animal

The .375 Ruger comedians think it is bad that factory ammo is a few weeks late already!

Still waiting on barrels and bullets for this one! I think I can now order a reamer based on measurements of my home-made dummy.

Everybody is crazy about something or other ... This one is dedicated to my Pop. We'll use it for "barking" squirrels, Daniel Boone style, if I have to get it blooded in a hurry. Otherwise, it will be perfect for everything from farthest plains game to closest elephant and buffalo, with the GSC Trio. The Ultimate African Sheep rifle. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP,
I just posted the 395GSC reamer on the blog thread. Your copy is e-mailed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, thank you very much, Sir! clap

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you making progress here. beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right ON RIP!!!

I have a paper cutter just like that!

This is looking so promising...who knows, you may be shooting this before the 375 Ruger ammunition becomes available.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
who knows, you may be shooting this before the 375 Ruger ammunition becomes available.

animal

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

world premier of the 395 tatanka flat nose (with the help of photoshop Big Grin)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
kinda looks like a supersize 30-06 cheers cigar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomie,

see what you've started?

Good on you!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i must say i am pleased...
most if not all of the credit goes to gerard and rip as well as the group support of a.r.

it will be great to see the creations of tinman 242 and the others as well as the ruger version aka 395 boom stick which should get the same performance as the 395gsc cheers cigar

one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,
The photoshop is cute. thumb

You should take credit for the "bandwagon" thread that may have influenced Gerard to consider my appeal for .395 bullets. The bandwagon is understandably stalled, awaiting the gestation period of barrels and bullets.

I truly believe that this is a unique new rifle caliber of matching bullet and barrel. There seem to have been some odd .396" grooved barrels from the 1800's that were meant for lead bullets of the 38/40 variety, like Martinis or Marlins using supposedly .401 caliber lead bullets. This would be much like the .404 Jeffery's that are .418 instead of .423, etc.

Yes, I think the .395 bullet in a .395 barrel is a unique new combination.

I have told Gerard Schultz that he should take credit for, or ownership of, the idea if any is due, as he and GSC are the first in the world to agree to produce anything tangible for this entity. Many have talked about it for years. Talk is cheap.

Harry McGowen is second in line for credit in this project. He has tooling on order to make the barrels, and we want that to be right, no rush.

How do you and I fit in?

I am the facilitator that presented the idea first to Gerard and then to Harry to get promises of matching bullets and barrel groove diameters.

You are the facilitator of a "let's have our own bore" movement at ar.com, after the previous mentions of a .395 caliber by me, and others before me.

We must not let this turn into just a bunch of hot air, or worse, just a gentle zephyr blowing out of the west toward RSA.

This joint RSA-USA project will not be a failure, no matter what. It will distinguish the GSC name as an innovator beyond the highest level of quality in best bullets possible for the most bullet calibers offered by any company. It raises the bar another notch on the high jump. A new world record is set in ultimate versatility and quality with the Trio of HV, FN, and SP in .395/340-grainers.

It is only fitting that the first reamer for it should be the .395 GSC (.395/.375 H&H Improved 40-degree-shoulder). I'll have that reamer made by Dave Manson and see if I can get it to Gerard.

Then the .395 Tatanka (.395/.338 Lapua Magnum).

If you wish to solidify your position as the fourth partner in this project, you need to get the bandwagon moving again when barrels and bullets are available. The .395 Ruger sounds like a winner. Brass is coming. thumb

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
its a smart business decision for gerard to have the corner on the market for bullets

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Everyone!!! Make sure your sound is turned up while reading RIP's post! You will hear every John Phillip Sousa march played as background!
Big Grin Smiler dancing

Just kidding RIP. Am already on the bandwagon (playing kazoo).
jumping

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As soon as that Twenty-Mule Team arrives with the wagonload of barrels and bullets, get the band on the wagon and strike up the kazoo's. And win one for The Gipper. thumb

prof242 is getting the grease ready for the bandwagon wheels and warming up with some "Ruffles and Flourishes" on the kazoo. Practice makes perfect. Bravo!

quote:

This joint RSA-USA project will not be a failure, no matter what. It will distinguish the GSC name as an innovator beyond the highest level of quality in best bullets possible for the most bullet calibers offered by any company. It raises the bar another notch on the high jump. A new world record is set in ultimate versatility and quality with the Trio of HV, FN, and SP in .395/340-grainers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Semper Fidelis" would be a good Sousa march when we get rolling along with the band-of-kazoos-wagon.

We Band of Kazoos!

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, boom stick, that is exactly how I forsee seating the FN in the .395 Tatanka. thumb

Looks more like an 8x57mm Mauser on steroids.

quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

world premier of the 395 tatanka flat nose (with the help of photoshop Big Grin)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
its a smart business decision for gerard to have the corner on the market for bullets

(Sousa's "Semper Fidelis" marching song playing in background)

boom stick,
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to develop a .395 Boom Stick cartridge so as to increase the market for Gerard's bullets. USA Market so far:
1. RIP
2. boom stick
3. timan (not tinman)
4. prof242
Am I forgetting anybody? bewildered

Could .366torque be the next marketing agent for the .395 in Canada? thumb

To whom in Australia and Europe does the honor of "semper fi" belong? salute
("Semper Fidelis" playing louder in the background)

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
salute

more profesional photos for the mag spreads Wink

the sp in the lapua case to the first band

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:

(Sousa's "Semper Fidelis" marching song playing in background)

boom stick,
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to develop a .395 Boom Stick cartridge so as to increase the market for Gerard's bullets. USA Market so far:
1. RIP
2. boom stick
3. timan (not tinman)
4. prof242
5. .366torque (the Canadian agent)
Am I forgetting anybody? bewildered

Could .366torque be the next marketing agent for the .395 in Canada? thumb

To whom in Australia and Europe does the honor of "semper fi" belong? salute
("Semper Fidelis" playing louder in the background)

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the Few and the Proud: .395 GSC

Semper fi.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Semper Fi is the USMC. You do not want one of their recon squads coming to your house because they believe you are besmirching their song. I spent time my third tour in 'Nam with CAP Platoons north of DaNang...mean spirited folks about that music.

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
salute

more profesional photos for the mag spreads Wink

the sp in the lapua case to the first band

boom stick scores again clap

Hope Stuart Satterlee makes the inside of his Rigby boxes a full 3.800" thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Not besmirching. I hold this in the highest regard, just like the USMC. I am a veteran of another branch but worked with a Marine detachment once upon a time. Nothing tops their esprit de corps in mission accomplishment. This will get done. Semper fidelis.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Thanks for your service, and your father's. salute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are quite welcome...I expect Semper Fidelsi does translate across service lines.

Good luck!

Rich
DRSS

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
And a retiree from another service who agrees with RIP. We "Band of Kazoos" have got to stay together!
salute beer

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Just had another weird thought (a statement often heard in my classroom according to my students)...After they're made, a commemorative shoot somewhere centrally located!
mgun

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

one of us
posted Hide Post
prof242,
Thanks for your service too. salute
My Pop was a USAF retiree, and he got a 21-gun salute from a USAF Honor Guard. Semper Fidelis. salute

A commemorative shoot sounds great. Whenever that may be. No rush on scheduling yet. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please fill me in on Semper Fi as I have no idea what it is about. One hears the term in movies but there is obviously much more to it than what meets the uninformed eye.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,
Semper fidelis is the Latin for "always faithful." The USMC Leathernecks adopted this motto about 1883. The USMC marching song is the march written by John Phillip Sousa entitled "Semper Fidelis."

I have borrowed this "motto" due to your get'er done attitude and faithfulness in undertaking the mission: .395 GSC
salute beer

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

Here is a link to the USMC web site.

http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp?pageId=/page/Detai...i&flashRedirect=true

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Semper Fidelis, National Emblem, Washington Post March and The Thunderer.

From memory a mixture of Semper Fidelis and National Emblem is played together....bits from each.

And of course Stars and Stripes Forever Big Grin

Posts: 577 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Actually you are the party guilty of instigating this, with your pontifications 'round about July 2001 on:

"Why is the .375 H&H not a .395 H&H?"

A search of these forums will show proof of your guilt.

I hope that an association with you is not the kiss of death for this project. Wink

How would you like to be the .395 Wizard of Oz?

Next time you get banned, come back as "Mike 395" thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
/