THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    500 grain 458 Barnes tsx on deer

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 grain 458 Barnes tsx on deer Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm currently using a lead cast 500gr bullet in my 450ne. It shoots very good, but I've got more leading than I like. Does anyone have experience using the Barnes 500 grain tsx on thin skinned game? Hoping to get them to around 2100 fps. Do they expand at all at that speed in deer? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took only one rifle on my first trip to Africa. It was a Ruger M77 African in .458 Lott with the 500 gr. Barnes TSX loaded to about 2150 fps. The PH said bring one rifle for the buffalo and use it for everything. After the buffalo was dead, I used the same rifle for 3 impala, a hyena, and a baboon. The 3 impala were at about 80, 150, and 170 yards. All the critters died OK, but I think they would have died quicker and run less if I had taken my 7mm Rem. with 160 or 175 gr. partitions. The bullets opened perfectly in the buffalo but exit holes seemed small on the other critters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 300 gr TSX in my 458Lott for deer and no problems opening up. Saturday deer went 25-30 yds and chest innards destroyed. Shoots 4-5 “ higher than 500 gr at 100 yds, accurate to at least 360 y and much more pleasant recoil. Radar speed 2740 fps.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
there is evidence that they start to open about 1600fps.. but not much..

though the greet big ole hole it makes, doesn't need it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38354 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on shooting camp meat for Safari, Id say Dale post is 100% correct.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41745 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's a 458, how much expansion do you need on deer? Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady 325g flex tip will expand in smaller deer and are half the price of the Barnes

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had trouble getting the 325 gr to regulate. Thinking of trying the 405 gr Remington's

one of us
posted Hide Post
They even work with cup points, solids and about any bullet in those big bore calibers, but they just punch a caliber size hole in and out, and usually leave a good blood trail, more or less as the poster "Dale" indicates, I have seen that reaction on light game many many times over the years with both clients and my personal experience..solids and softs seem to perform the same, DG game bullets are thick jacketed and mostly do not expand on light game. I have no experience with the ultra light DG bullets, nor have I any need for them..blood trails are good and runs are usually less than 50 yards, and meat damage is small indeed, not a bad combination IMO..but based on trajectory etc, I would prefer one of my 30-30s for deer up to 300 yards max...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41745 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote