THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Oberndorf Mauser action, and old metallic sights

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oberndorf Mauser action, and old metallic sights Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got a couple of questions.

Are there any experts in vintage sights here? I’ve got one I’ve never seen before. Receiver mounted peep with a base that dovetails into a cut in the receiver, like an M1 carbine’s, and adjustable for elevation only in much the same way. Quite small, and much older than the carbine’s.

And, what would an Oberndorf commercial Mauser action - standard bolt length but long magnum magazine box - be worth now?

Roger

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
You could look on the Internet for Nick Stroebel's books on old gunsights, which should google using those words.

He shows engravings, photos and advertisements that might resemble what you have.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, i got a copy of that book coming. not much else out there, and hard to look up if you don't know what something is called.

thanks,
Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book was worth the price of admission. Turns out the odd sight and the dovetail in the bridge are all factory. In fact the sight is a Remington #30. Stroebel notes as “rare” and diesn’t even have a picture if one, just a page from a very old catalog. That’s why it still pays to buy actual books.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id love to see a picture of that sight..Im an iron sight fan..

The98 Obendorf Mauser you describe Ive seen sell for up to $800 and for $400 over the last few years. What is the date on it, 1908?
I think DPCD has a number of Mauser at low prices..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Atkinson:
Id love to see a picture of that sight..Im an iron sight fan..QUOTE]

I'll second that: Also an iron sight fan who'd love to see some photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Hoffman modification to me.

https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101116565

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NIce custom peep, I suspect Hoffman also..Damn thats a nice rifle..I love those old 4 leaf sights, and contrary to what Ive read they shoot pretty close to the designated markings..I have filed some in that didn't and what I thought would be a 30 day affair of filing, turns out onec you get the short range one or the one standing sighted in the other 3 or 4 are very close and easy to finish...I have however noticed over this last year that my eyesight is weaker, hate that but it is what it is, but Im still good at 100 yards, with a accurate capable gun..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I’d like to see the OP just post a picture.
The Hoffman sight isn’t much like an M1 Carbine sight.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
I’d like to see the OP just post a picture.
The Hoffman sight isn’t much like an M1 Carbine sight.

Seriously! We're like a bunch of Sherlock Holmes wannabe's, trying to draw an accurate likeness of a man based on his discarded Kleenex. Some decent photos would satisfy everyone's curiosity re the sight, and probably get his valuation question addressed much more effectively. If he's like me and unable to post photos, I'm sure someone here would be happy to do it for him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a QD peep sight with a knob that locks the peep in, and I suspect it has adjustments, very well done..

Id bet its a Hoffman addition to a great rifle and Id bet the gun is original..but I doubt that we will ever know for sure..With gun in hand one might be able to tell if its origninal however..I believe it to be personally as it doesn't come across as am add on IMO...so toss my kleenex in the trash.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Oberndorf action i have is dated 1906. If anyone wants to see pictures of the sight I had originally asked about, look up in ended items on gunbroker Remington 30 carbine or 30R. I may have had 30 and 30R both in the title. As I'd posted after getting Stroebel's book, the sight is a Remington factory peep, coincidentally also a model 30. Stroebel's book didn't even have a picture of one, just a picture of an old catalog illustration.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willmckee:
The Oberndorf action i have is dated 1906. If anyone wants to see pictures of the sight I had originally asked about, look up in ended items on gunbroker Remington 30 carbine or 30R. I may have had 30 and 30R both in the title. As I'd posted after getting Stroebel's book, the sight is a Remington factory peep, coincidentally also a model 30. Stroebel's book didn't even have a picture of one, just a picture of an old catalog illustration.

Roger

Is this the one?

It took a lot of Googling, but I think I have a photo. For those of you like me who are not able to see Gunbroker's ended auctions because they're only available to registered members (blazer and tie required), Proxibid seems to be more democratic in their approach. Try here:

https://www.proxibid.com/Firea...Information/51970433

Expand the image full-page to get rid of distortion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, mine was a model 30R carbine. Sight's not even remotely like that. I've got pictures saved on a thumb drive somewhere.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, mine was a model 30R carbine. Sight's not even remotely like that. I've got pictures saved on a thumb drive somewhere.

Roger

Sorry Roger, my fault, I completely missed the word "factory" in your subsequent post. You're referring to the pre-1926 stock peep sight. I actually had one of those for a long time, until someone offered to trade me two sets of set triggers that I needed more. I thought the odds of me getting my hands on a Remington 30 were pretty poor, and I needed the set triggers right away.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
SKB, I agree with Ray that damn that is a nice rifle -- and in .333 Jeffery!
I believe Jens is the only one shooting this caliber on this forum.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures sure would help. I had thought the peep was on the Oberndorf but not see it is on the Rem 30 R.

Value would be dependent upon the details, altered in any way? Original magnum length bottom metal? Commercial action? How is it marked? For what caliber?

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 30r, the action and the stock it came out of are all gone. everything's was worth what it sold for by definition. no reason to post pictures.

the action would've been more useful with a standard bolt face. and there was no way to scope it - conventionally - without ruining that beautiful bolt handle. the mag box was exactly right for a 404 and it'd have made a good one, but i've lost interest in projects. i'd rather shoot them than work on them.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I base my guess only if its a Hoffman and marked so, and where? Ive never seen a hoffman that fancy as a matter of fact, and Ive owned a few over the years, not saying its not just would be sure and read the writting and has it been refinished..All that said its a damn nice rifle.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I base my guess only if its a Hoffman and marked so, and where? Ive never seen a hoffman that fancy as a matter of fact, and Ive owned a few over the years, not saying its not just would be sure and read the writting and has it been refinished..All that said its a damn nice rifle.

Ray: Check your email. Sent you a picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the 30r, the action and the stock it came out of are all gone. everything's was worth what it sold for by definition. no reason to post pictures.

the action would've been more useful with a standard bolt face. and there was no way to scope it - conventionally - without ruining that beautiful bolt handle. the mag box was exactly right for a 404 and it'd have made a good one, but i've lost interest in projects. i'd rather shoot them than work on them.

Roger

Well if you have not sold the Oberndorf yet I'm interested. I think I have at least one more .404 in my future.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did a little investigating with a fellow AR member, finding out the same thing..The sight is an origiinal mod 30 Remington peep from long ago..Wow! id have jumped all over that one had I seen it first!! what a nice old gun and $775. was a absolute steal..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, that would've been mine. The guy that bought it I think is the same one that bought a model 30 in 7mm I had a year or two back. There's 2 guys on gunbroker who really like model 30's. the 7 may have gone to the other guy.

it's not easy to find a decent model 30. People must've bought those to use and most are really rough or heavily modified. the 7mm i had was nice and totally original except for being drilled and tapped for scope bases. but at least no hideous recoil pad, bad (or good) reblue, no compass imbedded in the comb. That one shot great too. Actually, I've never owned a model 30 that did not shoot better than I could hold.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
For one thing its the best action around thats big enough to take the big bore magnums of about any caliber and they clean up beautifully. I love those customized enfields and just a plain mod. 30 is a great gun..they are getting more rare all the time, thus more expensive. Most of all believe it or not I love the hammer looking safety on a Dangerous game rifle, its impossible to miss under stress..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120