THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Question about late model M-70 big bores?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about late model M-70 big bores? Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the difference between a Super Express, Safari Express, and a Safari Classic? and compared to a Super Grade?
When I say Super Express I mean the CRF versions. I can remember seeing a push feed Super Express in .375 H&H also. All of the above are in reference to the post 64 M-70.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester M70 CRF's and the forerunner PF:

XTR Super Express: was the pushfeed post-64 with 22" .458 WinMag and 24" .375 H&H, blue and walnut with barrel recoil lug secondary, the stock was an understated Monte Carlo with cheek piece, and some drop to the comb, excellent compromise for open sights and scope.

Classic Super Express: was the same gun style-wise as the XTR, but with CRF (Classic) starting about 1990 IIRC, in .375, .416, and .458, IIRC

Classic Safari Express: 1999 make-over of the Classic Super Express, now with a different walnut stock, a straight comb, no cheekpiece, negative-drop stock that is higher at the heel than at the nose of the comb. Better with scope, not so good with iron sights.

"Safari Classic" would have to refer to the "Classic Safari Express" if you are talking M70's (see CZ).

Super Grade: "select walnut" straight comb with classic cheekpiece, .270 to .338 calibers, and the RMEF Super Grade and the RMEF Super Grade III get into stainless barrels of 26" and 24" and .300 Winmag and .300 WSM and .325 WSM

Classic Stainless: Started about 1992 with synthetic stocks, and was available in .300 RUM (no sights) and .375 H&H (with open sights), and no barrel recoil lugs.

Classic Black Shadow: a subsequent cheaper version available in .300 RUM, matte black finished chrome-moly, with phillips-head action screws, in the dying days of the Winchester M70.

This is what I know from my personal experience and recollection. If anyone can correct me or add to it, please do.

The Custom Shop offerings might add "Custom," "Ultimate," and "Big Five" adjectives to the above. And there is more than you can shake a stick at if you get out a book and start looking them all up. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow Rip,
Kind of dizzy after all of that. I remember seeing a .416 Rem M70 at a gun show with a massive butt and recoil pad. I do not remember if it had the stright comb stock. I assume it must have been the 1999 version.
I ran into a M70 Super Grade yesterday in .270 for $859. It made me think a few mins.
Thanks for putting all that down here.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To add a bit more.

In the 1970s the 375 looked the same as 270 but with bigger barrel. Both had stocks that were quite Wby like in style and including the angled forend tip. However the 375 was a dearer rifle than a 270 or 300 Win and included the Williams (I think) adjustable open sights.

At the same time the 458 was called Super Grade which was on the floor plate...(I have owned in the past 3 of them)...it had a rounded forend tip and different stock shape. These were more espensive than the 375s, a bit less than standard Mark V 300 Wby Deluxe. The actions on these rifles are about the slickest you will ever feel. The 458s open sight was only adjustable for windage.

About 1980 or late 1970s, the 458 as Super Grade was dropped and the 458 and 375 became one and virtually the same rifle and in the process the 375 lost the Wby look....the forend became rounder in section and the forend tip was gone. Sling swivel was also to moved to the barrel. As I remember it was about this time that the name Super Express was introduced.

Mike

Posts: 577 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote