Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japan made Weatherby Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a used Weatherby Mk V in 375 H&H.
The stock is a black straight composite.

Who made this rifles for Weatherby in Japan, and are there any difference in quality compared to the US. made MK V ?

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:

Who made this rifles for Weatherby in Japan, and are there any difference in quality compared to the US. made MK V ?

The Weatherby Mark V was made by Miroku in Japan from 1973 to 1995. Apart from their own branded shotguns Miroku also make many of the Browning shotguns and rifle models. They also made some of the Winchester rifles in earlier years too. Japanese steel and manufacturing is among the best in the World.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And before that they were made in Germany at JP Sauer. Never worry about rifles made in Japan; even last ditch Type 99s; they can't be blown up. I tried on one we found in a trash dump in the 60s; another story.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my Mark V’s is American made. I bought in the early to mid 90’s. I think the only did that for a year or two and them back to Japan.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard a complaint about the quality of Japanese firearms from any of the bigger mfr's.

I have a personal bias from a brand being subbed to Made in Japan status, but it's not about quality and has not been, for 40 years.

I like the Howas, but I don't like them rebranded if that makes sense.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a 224 Weatherby Magnum made by Sauer.

Great rifle.

I also have several Weatherby rifles made in the US.

Also fine rifles.

I had, many years ago, two 300 Weatherby Magnums made in Japan.

I got rid of them because they had a tendency to fire as one closes the bolt.

I honestly cannot remember what we did to them to try to fix them.

Swapping them was an easy way out.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66910 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:

The Weatherby Mark V was made by Miroku in Japan from 1973 to 1995. Apart from their own branded shotguns Miroku also make many of the Browning shotguns and rifle models. They also made some of the Winchester rifles in earlier years too. Japanese steel and manufacturing is among the best in the World.

Actually they were made by Howa.

Howa still manufactures the Vanguards.

Posts: 689 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My Japanese made Weatherby Mark XXII semi-auto is the most accurate .22 caliber rifle I have ever owned. Just X-Ring after X-Ring after X-Ring.

My son says it’s boring to shoot. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for info.
So the Japanese manufacturer is Howa?
I have heard that also Miroku was involved with Weatherby, but that`s likely not correct?

Anyway, am looking forward to take the rifle to the range and start developing loads for it.
A new set Talley rings are on the way, as there is Talley bases fitted.
Scope will be a Leupold VXR 2-7x33.
There was also a recoil brake fitted, witch have now been removed and replaced with a thread protector.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The Howa/Weatherby Vanguard rifle are well enough made and cheap however the quality is nowhere near what would be expected to be in a Weatherby Mark V.

Miroku makes fine shotguns, the quality every bit as good as the rebranded Brownings that they make and while the Mirokus are a little cheaper to purchase than the Brownings they are not cheap guns. Probable the extra cost for the Brownings is just in the name.

Some internet sources state the Japanese Weatherby Mark V is made by Miroku, others say Howa. I don't think there is any literation on the rifles to say who the manufacturer was other than 'Made in Japan'. Based on quality I would be steering to Miroku, if not, then Howa would have really had to lift their game to produce the Mk V in the quality Weatherby would want. The Howa Vanguard quality is good enough for a cheap sporter but miles away for a Mark V.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure Howa will make a rifle to whatever price point the customer wants. The 1500 action has been sold as everything from a Smith & Wesson 1500 and CMC Mountaineer before being distributed as the Howa Lightening and sold in a Hogue stock for $600.

The deluxe Mountaineer of the late 80s had a gloss stock to rival a Weatherby as well as deep bluing and a jewel polished bolt. Legacy sports obviously don’t see a market for that level of finishing. Instead they offer fluted heavy 20 inch threaded barrels in a GRS stock. The machine marks in the fluting remind you of the price you paid.

As for the vanguard I can’t see the point in paying extra for Howa to stamp Weatherby on the receiver, flute the bolt, screw in a longer barrel as standard and then clamp it into that awful pressure point stock.

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well cant wait to get a left handed action from them ... so far it did not work ...

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote