New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh Bullets Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Just saw that the Woodleigh plant in Australia had a devastating fire that destroyed everything. Geoff and Shirley Mcdonald were hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

Just a heads up if there is a box of Woodleighs on the shelf you were thinking about buying, may want to. No word if they will continue with the business after this.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Oh crap! I hope the McDonalds recover well and that they can get back in the business. What would all of us who like odd diameters do without them?

Best of wishes for Geoff and Shirley!

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are not going to rebuild.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's terrible hate that for them . Tons of prayers for them . Those are really good bullets !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The only bullets I shoot in my doubles outside of those I cast myself for my bore rifles. Sad news, indeed. But, I have a lifetime supply for all of my rifles so I am set. Hope they rebuild or an investor buys the equipment and begins again.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Will check with Norma what they are going to do about it. The whole African PH line of ammunition is loaded with Woodleigh bullets as you know.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Norma can buy the rights to the brand and continue the product.

Posts: 190 | Location: rockdale, texas | Registered: 01 October 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I wish them to recover and continue.

BTW no more .577 Woodleigh bullets at Midway, because...

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
Will check with Norma what they are going to do about it. The whole African PH line of ammunition is loaded with Woodleigh bullets as you know.

RWS use Woodleigh bullets in their large calibre cartridges too.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by husky:

RWS use Woodleigh bullets in their large calibre cartridges too.

And Wolfgang Romey...

And Kynoch...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
They are not going to rebuild.

Geoff wrote me they are working on something. wait and see.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always been one of my my favorite bullets in any caliber, and for my double rifles it had no equal.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I am glad I got 5000 .416 woodleigh 410 grain bonded soft points . They expand to .92 caliber and penetrate like crazy .I shoot them in my 416 rem mags .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
Now I am glad I got 5000 .416 woodleigh 410 grain bonded soft points . They expand to .92 caliber and penetrate like crazy .I shoot them in my 416 rem mags .

Those 410gr .416" bullets are designed for the 416 Rigby. The 400gr bullets in .416" are made for the 416RM with the cannular in a better position. That's what I use at least.

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work fine in both calibers, many have been to Africa when I checked their guns and most of the hunters knew no difference!! faint but you are correct of course..Those that did said a cannalue isn't necessary, and that too can be correct in some chambers..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A post on Nitroexpress.com

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...58612&page=0&fpart=2

'Gentlemen, I have an update regarding Woodleigh bullets. Apparently Geoff is going to re-start operations. A new shed or sheds is going to be built and the machines are being re-wired. Nothing will happen for a couple of months as trying to get tradesmen at this time of year is hard and it's very hot at the moment where he lives.

Initially production will be based around volume calibers such as 0.308", 9.3, 0.375" and 0.458".

It seems as if there was some help (In what form I don't know) from both Norma and Federal.

Geoff is exhibiting or at least showing the flag at the current SCI convention in Dallas.

I will keep you posted.

Matt.'

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
A post on Nitroexpress.com

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...58612&page=0&fpart=2

'Gentlemen, I have an update regarding Woodleigh bullets. Apparently Geoff is going to re-start operations. A new shed or sheds is going to be built and the machines are being re-wired. Nothing will happen for a couple of months as trying to get tradesmen at this time of year is hard and it's very hot at the moment where he lives.

Initially production will be based around volume calibers such as 0.308", 9.3, 0.375" and 0.458".

It seems as if there was some help (In what form I don't know) from both Norma and Federal.

Geoff is exhibiting or at least showing the flag at the current SCI convention in Dallas.

I will keep you posted.

Matt.'

Best news of 2022 so far. Great to hear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic news! I just got hydro's and PP's to regulate to same POA/POI on my first load attempt out of my .375 H&H! I was afraid I was going to have to squirrel them away for careful use.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What rifle and cartridge Brandon? I.e. single or double barrel, Flanged or Belted Mag?

What load did you use, can PM if you like.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
What rifle and cartridge Brandon? I.e. single or double barrel, Flanged or Belted Mag?

Cheers, Chris

AHR worked-over CZ-550 .375 H&H. Load was norma brass, Fed 215, 75.0gr IMR-4350.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That is great news.

I understand that most of the manufacturing machinery was salvageable.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13374 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good news. Does this mean his wife is well?

Posts: 10791 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:

Cheers, Chris

AHR worked-over CZ-550 .375 H&H. Load was norma brass, Fed 215, 75.0gr IMR-4350.

Thanks Brandon. Haven’t seen IMR powder in Aus for many years.

Cheers Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am glad they are going to rebuild and eventually go back in production. I shoot black powder and the GOEX plant burned, Again, in Louisiana. Word is they ARE NOT going to rebuild. Probably an Insurance liability issue. I believe they had 7 fires in 15 years, or some such.

BTW, I have some 333 Jeffery 250 and 300gr bullets, if anyone is interested PM me.

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Very good news. Does this mean his wife is well?

Yes apparently Shirley is well. Smoke inhalation IIRC.

Due to limited shops stocking Woodleigh here in Aus I usually purchase direct and Woodleigh have always been great to deal with. Same goes for Bertram.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whew, scared me to death!! Life without woodleighs was more than my old heart could take!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An update.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic news for us double gunners!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very great news.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And we bolt action shooters are delighted as well. Hurrah!!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
An update.

YES!!!

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear. I remember when Geoff still took custom bullet orders and made me a bunch of 585 cal 900 grain protected point bullets. Was always interested in personal stories about his bullets performance too. Great guy and company.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
Great to hear. I remember when Geoff still took custom bullet orders and made me a bunch of 585 cal 900 grain protected point bullets. Was always interested in personal stories about his bullets performance too. Great guy and company.

This is exactly what I need for my .585 Hubel Express!

Do you think it is still possible?

Jiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jiri, you could maybe ask once they are set up again, but I would doubt it personally. I made that order in 2001 when Geoff was still doing occasional custom orders. Shortly after that woodleigh stopped doing custom orders so its been decades since they entertained work like that( as far as I am aware).

I did get some other custom bullets from him in . 530 calibre (750 grains) in about 2012 but this is because the 530 woodleigh was an early wildcat of his and he still did occasional bullet runs for fellas with his calibre.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
Hi Jiri, you could maybe ask once they are set up again, but I would doubt it personally. I made that order in 2001 when Geoff was still doing occasional custom orders. Shortly after that woodleigh stopped doing custom orders so its been decades since they entertained work like that( as far as I am aware).

I did get some other custom bullets from him in . 530 calibre (750 grains) in about 2012 but this is because the 530 woodleigh was an early wildcat of his and he still did occasional bullet runs for fellas with his calibre.

Maybe with the concern and support shown to Geoff and Shirley from the hunting fraternity after their devastating fire, they may consider offering a limited custom bullet service.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
BTW I am curious why .585 900 gr PP are NOT on the standard bullet list.

Jiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think his wife had a lot to do with standardising the stock lines, Geoff struck me as a fella who would have happily kept experimenting and customising.

From memory I ordered 500 pcs off him, got them for about $2 each. He reduced the cost a bit at the last minute as there was a minor error during part of the process. Bullets came out the right size but had tiny nicks and marks on them. Didnt effect accuracy, they outshot any loads anyone was using in 585's at the time.

I sent some to Dan Maccarthy in the US who used to post here as '500grains' and some to Mitch carter now deceased for use in his 577 trex. He was the guy who shot the best groups with them. I only have 3-4 left or I would send you some too Smiler

Hopefully attached is a pic next to a 45acp cartridge.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Karl:

Could you, please, measure seating depth of the bullet please? I would like to run some theoretical QL simulations for .585 HE. Maybe I will find I really don't want to shoot it ;-)

Jiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
No probs, give me a day or two to dig one out.

Wish I still had load data for them but I sold that gun 10+ years ago and everything with it. My wildcat the 585 gehringer was a few years earlier than Ed's but I think less capacity. Mine was essentially a 3.06" nyati, around 200 grains capacity water.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping when they get cranked back up that the 250 grain .348 is on the shelves fairly quickly. I need a couple of boxes.

Grumpy old man with a gun,,,,Do not touch.