THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Wikipedia gun articles losing quality.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wikipedia gun articles losing quality. Login/Join

one of us
posted
Despite being a free service it seemeed when it first kicked off, the quality of articles was pretty good. Not sure what is happening these days. I think every millenial who has read a blog on weapons or teen with english as a second language is trying his luck at writing now. Some of the articles on bigbores look like two half informed fans are arguing with each other as the articles are edited back and forth.

Latest change was the 500 nitro described as " exclusively used in double rifles". I have also recently fixed up the croossbow article several times because it is littered with too much crap to mention, but it keeps getting edited back by whatever 15 year old out there is in opposition to industry established facts. This really is the disinformation age.

Anyway, late night rant here and obviously I need a more relaxing hobby.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Karl,
I have noticed many funding pleas on there .
Sounds like their business plan may have problems.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've noticed the same and think part of it is probably the growing interest in guns among the younger generation. A lot of them are computer savvy and like to write on wikipedia but don't know a tremendous amount about them. When 10 years ago, the gun community was much smaller and people who took to the internet to talk about them already had several years experience and knowledge in the subject

Kelly

Posts: 4 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Karl,
I have noticed many funding pleas on there.
Sounds like their business plan may have problems.

They do a "pledge drive" at the end of each year. Nothing new there.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine, a few years younger than me - I am 69 - said our generation is the last generation that can think straight, and work our problems in a realistic way.

The younger lot are much more savvy with tech stuff, but lack common sense!

I think he is right!

The number of times I was called for a specific tool;, and where to buy one.

When I tell them " make one yourself".

The answer always comes back "why?" if you can just buy it.

We come across some problems here almost on a daily basis, and we solve them.

Younger lot want to find someone "who know what to do".

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66902 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I read or heard something by an impeccable professor on the reliability of internet sources, and he said that despite the obvious deficiencies, Wikipedia was surprisingly trustworthy.

The thing is, if something in its articles is wrong you can go in and set it right. I made corrections to their article about telescopic sights and these have remained in place for several years now.

I give them a small donation each year to help keep it going and suggest to anyone who thinks money is the quality problem, perhaps you should do likewise.

Posts: 4940 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
A friend of mine, a few years younger than me - I am 69 - said our generation is the last generation that can think straight, and work our problems in a realistic way.

The younger lot are much more savvy with tech stuff, but lack common sense!

I think he is right!

The number of times I was called for a specific tool;, and where to buy one.

When I tell them " make one yourself".

The answer always comes back "why?" if you can just buy it.

We come across some problems here almost on a daily basis, and we solve them.

Younger lot want to find someone "who know what to do".

I heard a very interesting explanation of the modern brain in a program on good ole' PBS. The problem with the thought processes of the "younger generation" is not lack of intelligence, far from it; it's the way their brains are being shaped by the digital age. They're victims of input overload. They have so many options, instantly at their fingertips, to which they can jump back and forth, that their brains are being conditioned to constantly "skim". Look how "choppy" are modern movies/programs/TV commercials. University-age kids are now testing to have the attention span equal to toddlers, and their minds need constant external stimulus. When was the last time you walked into a store or a workplace and didn't hear some form of noisebox droning (or blaring) out constant white noise? The researchers found that silence actually triggered anxiety in the majority of their test subjects under 30. As a result of all these factors they hypothesized that, although succeeding generations are just as intelligent, the modern brain is losing the capacity for deep thought. Judgment is a product of deep thought. The modern brain is more reactive than thoughtful, thanks to years of videogaming.

I'm told this is very useful on the modern electronic battlefield.

You want to know what baffles me about the coming generation? Can someone puh-leeze explain to me why anyone would rather sit with two hands clutching a (so-called) smartphone, laboriously thumb-talking in text messages, when they could far more quickly just call the person and talk back and forth like grown-ups??? Never mind how the brain is changing; we're evolving into a herd of hunchbacks with thumbs the size of Schwartzenegger's thighs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I read or heard something by an impeccable professor on the reliability of internet sources, and he said that despite the obvious deficiencies, Wikipedia was surprisingly trustworthy.
The thing is, if something in its articles is wrong you can go in and set it right.

So can some 15 year old being the problem. This wasn't an attack on Wikipedia as a whole, obviously its a very successful phenomenon. Its as I said gun articles, which obviously hold attraction and interest extending beyond experts in that field, are being chopped around a lot compared to 10-15 years ago.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Could be, Karl, and I guess it is not beyond possibility that certain countries might see sabotaging Wikipedia as another way to undermine the free world.

What's the answer? A bit more eternal vigilance? Maybe not shrugging when we see disinformation there but go in and submit corrections.

Posts: 4940 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to bring information related to the input of the German technicians, Hugo Schmeisser and the influence of the weapons captured in 1942 in Cholm as the trigger that launched studies in Russia about the Sturmgewehr and finally produced the Kalashnikov and be ready to a uphill battle with the Rooskies editing the page, supported by the Kalashnikov Konzern public relations team.

Same for LendLease US supplied tanks, trucks and other equipments.
Same for the Ribbentropp Molotov pact

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, Edmond. So, do they claim to have invented the assault rifle?

As we've seen elsewhere, they do have form.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
be ready to a uphill battle with the Rooskies editing the page, supported by the Kalashnikov Konzern public relations team.

Case head space, bump, cam over, tension, move the shoulder back etc. I have always thought this stuff was coming from a place closer to home.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote