THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Hornady DGX in .500 NE - Amazing Performance

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady DGX in .500 NE - Amazing Performance Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted
In my recent hunt I used the 570 grain Hornady DGX in my Heym 88B in .500 NE.

I did shoot a buffalo with it at 53 yards. Found the bullet on the other side of the buffalo just under the skin. The buffalo went 20 yards before keeling over.

This was the entrance.

The ribs other side of the entrance wound with the PH's hand for scale.

It was a double lung shot and it looks like it got the spleen as well.

Another shot of the lung with skinners hand in it for scale.

Years ago I guess Hornady did have issues with this bullet design. Some still do not trust it. I know this is just one sample, but I'd say those issues are truly in the past.

I will use the same bullet for buffalo next year as well.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Impressive performance. Did the bullet exit the Buffalo?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Impressive performance. Did the bullet exit the Buffalo?

No, as mentioned above it was found under the skin at the other side.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to have performed well. Do you have any photos of the recovered bullet? I’m curious as to whether it’s the newer DGX bonded or the older non bonded version ?

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the recovered bullet as well. What was the muzzle velocity around 2100 fps? Nice buffalo and nice shot btw!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Butch Searcy has custom loaded 450-400 ammo for me and he typically loads mine using Hornadys. I have killed a number of cape buffalo with them without incident. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you roll your own like I do would you chose Hornady over Swift A-frame?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canadaboy:
Seems to have performed well. Do you have any photos of the recovered bullet? I’m curious as to whether it’s the newer DGX bonded or the older non bonded version ?

Here are the pics, also I weighed the bullet. 465.7 grains is what was left. Muzzle velocity is 2,150.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, Hornady updated the bullet recently by bonding the core to the jacket. Good performance in your's. Hopefully it's a much better bullet now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certain this is not an interlock?
Cannot see any real bonding of the core to the jacket.
I thought interlocks were well thought of.
What ever it is, it certainly did the job.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:
Originally posted by Canadaboy:

Here are the pics, also I weighed the bullet. 465.7 grains is what was left. Muzzle velocity is 2,150.

Nice! Thank you. A big improvement on their original DGX it seems

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not think, could be wrong, that the picture of the recovered bullet is a Bonded DGX. It looks like the old DGX.

Bonded bullets, I have seen do not have the core and jacket gaping I see in the recovered bullet photo.

Therefore, I submit, the bullet is an prebonded DGX that performed as one would hope.

Posts: 10825 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'll still stick with A-Frames though as well as the DGX performed

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullet lost nearly 20% of it's mass, not through proper expansion but by just having its nose rubbed off. It is a well marketed, second rate bullet.

I think that this bullet increases the danger of dangerous game hunting.

I mean no offence to anyone. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Here's a 300g A-Frame shot out of a 375 H&H impact at 13 yards on a 900 lb brown bear. Hit the right shoulder, penetrated the bear diagonally, bullet in the hide of the left thigh. Still weighs 299.5 grains. Though bears are thin skinned and not nearly as tough on bullets as a cape buffalo I've heard.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, That is an excellent bullet! brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Without all the finer details I'm guessing from the first image that the bullet has entered behind the shoulder not hitting any or at least not too much bone apart from the ribs. It has opened up and done great damage to the lungs, exactly what is needed on a lung shot. The sloughing off of the unbonded lead core has most likely occurred on the far side shoulder therefore this can be seen as collateral damage to the bullet which has already done a perfect job on the lungs. If indeed it did hit the far side shoulder it still penetrated and as the OP has said was found under the far side skin, exactly where a bullet should stop if not wanting to hit any other animals in a herd.

All that lead loss as flying shrapnel has contributed to completely blown lungs.

If my conjecture is correct as far as the bullet placement goes then personally I can't find anything to criticize about the bullet.
Remember we only see a recovered bullet in it's terminal state, not what it looked like after punching in to take out internal organs.

When I hunted and shot several buffalo I had no idea of what bullet performance would be like in these big animals, our 'guide' only used a 338WM to head and neck shoot animals from a vehicle for his pet meat business so he had no clue about shooting up close and personal in bush and on foot. I used solids in my 404 and everything fell over nicely.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
He got his buff, he got the bullet that killed his buff, so what is there to fuss about?

Rather than fuss, just pity the poor hunter whose North Forks and Woodleighs always shoot through and cannot be recovered!!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote