New
Find
Notify
Tools

458x2"......again Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I have just picked up a 1908 DWM Brazilian contract action that I've earmarked for a 458x2.....always wanted a 45-70 but a bit more modern, no rim....sooooooo, lets see all the pics of your versions, give us the lowdown on how well it works, all the tips and tricks and most important ( to start with...) the technical stuff.....cut you cut the chamber with a 458W reamer, can you use cut down 458W dies, pretty much anything that will save me a few dollars....does anyone have a 458x2 reamer.....nudge nudge wink wink....

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
first and foremost - the 1908 is DEAD SOFT, but a great action -- iirc, the firing pin, shroud, and/or striker are different than the usual, but i have slept since the last time i've worked with one.

that being said, and to "keep it cheap" you have two routes.. well, three..

a 458 winmag will easily fit in this action, though it's dead soft - load it as short as you like

a 458 2" (american), well, i bet you could scare up dies and reamers in the classifieds - BUT, this round is loaded up pretty good - yes, brass is cheap/easy to form and make

then there's the EASY route - 450 marlin - which is the same darn thing -- ish - i have read you COULD use 450 marlin dies on a 458 american .. you couldn't the other way

as for cutting down 458 win dies to a 458x2 -- yes and no -- resizer, sure .. seating? no .. crimping, no .. well, anything is possible, but in terms of direct use just by grinding/turning it down .. nah ..

https://www.24hourcampfire.com..._vs_458x2_in_a_bolt_

for me, it would be 450 marlin and be done with it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38452 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would want a 2.25”-2.35” version to split the difference between the 458 WM and 450 Marlin/458American. the goal would be 400@2150

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably the best way is to locate a 450 Marlin reamer and have the chamber head spaced using a regular magnum head space gauge. This way you can use 450M dies but use a wide range of belted mag cases to form your brass. You end up with a belted 458x2.1” case.

Another alternative and what I did with my build was I specially ordered a Pacnor prechambered 458WM, no throat barrel with a 1 in 20” twist - they list a 458 WM no throat reamer in their wildcat section. This way you effectively end up with a bolt action 45/90 with a throat that is cast bullet friendly.
You then have the throat opened up to suit the bullets you intend to use or leave it as it is and use a Lee FCD if required. This way you use regular 458WM dies and cases but obviously you can’t fire factory ammo. This also makes better use of the available mag length.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just use a 458 Win. and load it down to 45-70 specs or somewhere in between..??? Ive never understood the reasoning for a 458x2, and its not a good resale caliber for sure.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information gentlemen, but you have to remember, I live in the colony's.....the 450 Marlin is almost non-existent here, brass is scarce if not completely unavailable.......belted magnum brass is everywhere. We do have some gunsmith shops who have the reamer, so I have to look at local availability when making any decisions.
My '08 action has only been used in the original 7x57 calibre and only with factory ammo ( I know its history well...)and as I only intend to load with 45-70 based loads, I'm hoping the action will be OK......but please, any information, tips, advice and of course pics of your own versions are always greatly appreciated.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 458x2" is built on a rem 600. Original barrel that looks thin as a .410 shotgun at the muzzle! Fantastically light-weight, and great for packing in the hills (used this gun for my cougar, as well as a few black bears). Downside is, only two rounds fit in the mag, and being this light, it kills on both ends!!

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I"ve spent a lot of time with mine. I use 450 Marlin dies adjusted accordingly. I found Federal 7mm Rem Mag brass trimmed to length to be the right thickness for my rifle to preclude inside reaming. Very accurate and deadly. 9 lb rile recoil is snappy.

Posts: 173 | Location: Texas | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
Probably the best way is to locate a 450 Marlin reamer and have the chamber head spaced using a regular magnum head space gauge. This way you can use 450M dies but use a wide range of belted mag cases to form your brass. You end up with a belted 458x2.1” case.

You, sir, win the internet today!!

THIS seems like an excellent idea - though it's too early for me to do the maths right now -- iirc, would have -0.030 shorter than 450 marlin -- which one should be able to rework dies to work properly ..

that is, use 450 marlin reamer and dies, BUT headspaced on the HH belt .. resulting in a 458x2.080 ..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Here is my Flanged .458 x 2 barrels;
Up close and shiny

All 26 inch barrels

What a difference the light makes!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy rebarreled a Ruger M77 MKII that was formerly a 7mag. He shot 400 grain jacketed soft points over a stiff charge of H4198. It was a hoot to shoot. If it were me, I would do as Jeff said and chamber for the 458 win and download it.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How about this...
A long time ago I made a semi rimmed 45-70 dummy round. I think it was cool. You can use a .532” bolt face and just take the rim down on 45-70 brass. you could load out long and get much better performance. one of the original loads was the 45-70-500, a 500 grain bullet loaded long for single shots and this could do that but from a repeater. I would want to get long loaded 400 grain bullets at 2150 and call it a day. Cheap and easy to get components. It would not technically be a wildcat but pushing the boundaries. 45-70 Semi Rimmed or call it the 45-70 Boom Stick.
https://www.barnesbullets.com/...11/45-70RugerNo1.pdf
Above you see the load data for a Ruger #1 and can see the possibilities. 300 @ 2,500! 400 @ 2150!
Big Grin

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my baby son had me make him up a 458winmag -- but he wanted it on a mexican mauser we had had forever -- so, i just used rem 405s, loaded to the forward groove .. worked, and works, great .. a real piggie popper

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That is a potent package El Jeffe
More power than the 2” and you could single load factory ammo.