The Accurate Reloading Forums
Pilkington Scope Levers

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/3161024211

02 July 2009, 01:47
Brad aka Pill Shooter
Pilkington Scope Levers
Does anyone know if these are still made and if so who has them. I have read in two books on safari rifles that the best scope mount for a client rifle would be a leupold/redfield mount and a pilkington lever on the rear to take it off if needed. This might fit the bill for my 375 H&H Kimber BGR 89. All I know is that a gunsmith (Cliff Pilkington) came up with these.

Thanks

Brad Smiler
02 July 2009, 05:02
RIP
Just my opinion: Bad idea.

I tried them once and soon realized these things:

1. The Redfield/JR/Leupold fixed mount should not be converted to QD by this method.
The front dovetail on the fixed mount needs to be left alone after it is turned into place.
Metal-on-metal galling will loosen the mount if it is repeatedly removed and replaced,
by twisting the scope through a 90-degree arc.
Do it once on initial setup, then leave it alone.

2. There is no way in heck it will return to zero.

3. View that Pilkington lever only as a slightly quicker way to remove the scope after you drop the rifle off a cliff, etc.

4. If you want QD, best to use QD rings and bases that are well designed for the purpose.

My preferred:
Leupold QRW (not Leupold QR)
Talley QD Lever
Warne QD Lever
Ye Olde Kimber QD Lever
German Claw
03 July 2009, 02:13
tiggertate
I generally agree with RIP. Even Redfield stated that the front dovetail should be good for only 15-20 cycles. By my own experience, I think that's VERY optimistic and requires some special lubes.

OTOH, Hog Killer has it on his 375 H&H Model 30 and knowing him, he doesn't sit there at night taking it on and off; so it probably is fine if the purpose is the once-or-twice in a lifetime need to ditch a scope.

If you want a 100% duty cycle system, look elsewhere or be prepared to replace front bases regularly. If you hope to never use it at all but want the capability just in case, it is a cost effective means to that end.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.
03 July 2009, 03:35
Hog Killer
quote:
Hog Killer has it on his 375 H&H Model 30 and knowing him, he doesn't sit there at night taking it on and off; so it probably is fine if the purpose is the once-or-twice in a lifetime need to ditch a scope.

thumb

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club
04 July 2009, 06:10
Bill358
PM with information on Pilkington scope levers sent.
04 July 2009, 06:47
TLS
The Pilkington who designed this is Phillip Pilkington who used to stock for Champlin before going out on his own. Fabulous stockmaker.
05 July 2009, 02:33
Brad aka Pill Shooter
Thanks everyone for all the info. Bill I got your Pm. Smiler