THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Going with a new 375, but what one??? RUM/AI/Weatherby

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going with a new 375, but what one??? RUM/AI/Weatherby Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having a new 375 built but I am still unsure as to cartridge. I've been leaning towards the 375 weatherby but the AI and RUM are also in the running. I've been pretty impressed with how the RUMS shoot having had a 338 RUM and currently have a 300 RUM, very accurate and very flat shooting. The AI and Weatherby are nice because good performance 270@2800+ and 300@2700 but still have the ability to shoot factory H&H ammo in a pinch so ammo availability is much better. I will reload for either one probably shooting mainly 270gr TSX and 300gr Partitions.

Looking for any insites to the various 375s. Pros or cons and general experience and advice.

Thanks

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Do a search on postings by RIP.

You'll have lots to read -- I have a re-chambered Brno in .375 Weatherby. You can shoot factory .375 H&H in it if your ammo and you get separated en route.

BNagel

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
H&H

No flirs there/

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had never fired a 375 H&H before going on safari this summer. A friend had an Empire chambered in the round. I was carrying a 458 Lott and the PH frowned using it on impala and warthog because we needed meat. I can't think of anything better than a H&H for all around use. Simply amazing. I would stick with the H&H and Barnes bullets.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going for buff and plains game next year in Masailand. I'll be taking one rifle, my Model 70 375H&H.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.375 Weatherby.
Easiest, and most versatile.

You can use .375 Weatherby factory ammo or handloads and deliver same WHOMP as Saeed's .375/404UAE, or 375RUM, same-same.

Or:

You can use .375 H&H factory ammo or handloads and deliver same whomp as Kevin "Doctari" Robertson's oldfashion loads.

1:12" twist is perfect. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear,for what it's worth, I have owned and fired nearly all the .375s out there (maybe all of them), including Weatherby's and A-Square's .375 and I will stick with the 375 H&H if I were looking for an all-round caliber. Cheers

quote:
Originally posted by Thebear_78:
I'm having a new 375 built but I am still unsure as to cartridge. I've been leaning towards the 375 weatherby but the AI and RUM are also in the running. I've been pretty impressed with how the RUMS shoot having had a 338 RUM and currently have a 300 RUM, very accurate and very flat shooting. The AI and Weatherby are nice because good performance 270@2800+ and 300@2700 but still have the ability to shoot factory H&H ammo in a pinch so ammo availability is much better. I will reload for either one probably shooting mainly 270gr TSX and 300gr Partitions.

Looking for any insites to the various 375s. Pros or cons and general experience and advice.

Thanks

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Weatherby.
If the H&H isn't for you, this one is possibly the best alternative.
JMHO, best of luck with your choice.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't think of anything better than a H&H for all around use. Simply amazing. I would stick with the H&H and Barnes bullets.

Ditto. I don't think there is a better combination. I use mine here in the US for everything. Last year I took a muley buck @ 350+ yards. One shot & he was down for the count.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've taken my .375 RUM to Africa twice. 18 animals from Steenbok to Buffalo and Eland. Most were one shot kills, including a 39" Gemsbok bull at 348 yds.

270 gr Barnes TSX bullets handloaded at 3043 fps and 300 gr TSX bullets handloaded at 2830 fps. Both shoot MOA to 200yds.

I love that gun.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Do a search on postings by RIP.

You'll have lots to read -- I have a re-chambered Brno in .375 Weatherby. You can shoot factory .375 H&H in it if your ammo and you get separated en route.

BNagel

I like this idea best! With Wby ammo you get a bit more steam, but if you're about anywhere in the world that large game exists, you can pick up H&H and continue hunting. Seems like a good compromise to me

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is really no NEED for any .375 except the H&H. If you want to get anything else you must make the case and present evidence to support your position. You must be prepared to defend your selection and to feel regrets later.

I got the .375 Weatherby anyway, just because.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thebear_78:

Thanks

When shooting 300gr Swift A-frame at 300 paces the RUM drops about 3" less. Does that bit of info help you? The RUM is beltless and might make sense if you are going to use super heavy for caliber slugs. The .375 Weatherby makes no sense at all. It would be cool to own one of them early Weatherby rifles in cal. .375W but that's about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To me there is no question if you are going to have just one 375 its gotta be the 375 H&H. Will do everything you want and the most pleasant to shoot.

I have 2 H&H's one a full custom wood stock, engraving etc, one Sako L691 in a HS precison stock as my Sambar gun. My 3rd H&H a M70 Stainless was converted to a 375 RUM. Recoil jump is significant but boy I have been impressed by how easy it is to reload for the RUM and the accuracy is scary (H&H cases lengthen like mad with full power loads & need constant trimming)! You will note that Nosler in their reloading manual claims that it is the most accurate of the 375's if you believe in such a thing as "inherent accuracy".

The most logical thing to do is get one of each and decide which is your favourite! Big Grin

Regards,
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 AI, and one can load it up and get 2940 fps with 300 gr. bullets using Norma MRP or N204 - and with no pressure signs and good case life. I chronograph and have done this with 300 gr. Sierra, Hornady, and Failsafe bullets. This is also published in the reloading literature. You can shoot standard 375 ammo with little loss of performance, should you lose you ammo in transit. This is a 600 yd. cross-canyon elk rifle and more than enough for any animal on the planet. At this power level, it's all I can handle. Why does one need more, such as a 378 Weatherby? You don't. Regards, AIU

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeeds 375/404 is a real whiz bang killer of buffalo with Walter H bullets...I have seen him kill probably 40 or more buffalo with it, along with the rest of his guests who shot an additiona 15 or so I guess, so I know the 375 IMP kills well indeed..

I also know the standard .375 H&H kills as well as I need for a gun to kill..I have killed a heck of a lot of buffalo, with it and have observed it used on probably a couple of hundred buffalo and it just works, end of story.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Weatherby round. thumb

I've been quite pleased with mine. It's all the H&H ever was and more.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strut10:
Another vote for the Weatherby round. thumb

I've been quite pleased with mine. It's all the H&H ever was and more.

Well said. clap

Here is how I rank my .375 rifles in WHOMP, lowest to highest level of top-end loads. Favoritism is shown by the number of each owned:

1) .375/.338 WinMag: FN Mauser
2) .375 H&H: Win.M70 Pre-64
3) .375 Ruger: Ruger Hawkeyes, Afro and Eskimo
4) .375 Weatherby Magnum: Whitworth Mk X, Win.M70 Classic Stainless, CZ 550 Safari Mag.
5) .375 RUM: Rem.M700 LSS, CZ 550 Mag.
6) .375/.338 Lapua Mag: CZ 550 Mag.
7) 378 WbyMag: CZ 550

The tiniest 3-shot 100-yard group I ever fired was with the .375 Weatherby M70 Classic Stainless using Bridger copies of the Walterhog 300-grain bullet.

My .375 Weatherby dream rifle:
A featherweight, stainless-synthetic, fully custom, bespoke, Magnum Mauser, with stainless German claw mounts or picatinney cross-slots milled into the stainless square bridges.
Aiming for a 6-shooter and "8-pound" dry weight. (Yeah! Right! Where can I find one???)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.375 Weatherby!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a RUM but from a versatility standpoint I would get the 375 WBY so you can shoot H&H rounds in a pinch.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After owning several H&H's I finally decided that I like my 375 wby the most.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took Rip's advice several years ago and had a model 70 rechambered from H&H to 375 WBY . After seeing its results on the range and in the field, I love it!. And yes it is accurate with both H&H and WBY loads. 200 fps faster with a 300 grain bullets. Flat shooting and hard hitting. Thanks Rip

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rug:
I took Rip's advice several years ago and had a model 70 rechambered from H&H to 375 WBY . After seeing its results on the range and in the field, I love it!. And yes it is accurate with both H&H and WBY loads. 200 fps faster with a 300 grain bullets. Flat shooting and hard hitting. Thanks Rip

Rug,
Great handle!
Very intelligent fellow too, eh?
Do you have any photos of your "Winchester Wasilla," please?
Thanks,
Rip thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those who may not know the 375 AI and 375 Weatherby are essentially the same round. So far as I know, ammo from each can be shot in the other as can 375 H&H chambered for either. Yet, I wonder a bit if 375 AI can be shot in 375 Weatherby chambered guns. Does anybody know? 375 Weatherby rounds can be shot in the 375 AI.

When loaded to its full potential the 375 AI/375 Weatherby is as much as I can handle - that is, 5700 ft# at the muzzle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While there is certainly no NEED to improve the 375 H&H, a 375 Imp. that shoots the H&H, Weatherby and Improved is about as versatile as you can get. I own two rifles in the 375 Improved, one an ultralite mountain rifle and one an african everything rifle. Both rifles shoot the Weatherby and H&H with equal accuracy using 270 and 300 grain barnes bullets. Can't remember why I own so many other rifles.

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With Quote