THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Any ideas on a bad left wrist?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any ideas on a bad left wrist? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Between Highschool/college football and a decade of hard labor in the oil field my left wrist is shot. Shooting off hand recently with anything rougher than a 257 Roberts really hurts if I hold a rifle normally. I can use this wrist normally for the most part. I just can't shoot the heavy kickers with a standard hold or do standard push-ups (I can do bench press with no pain.) Do any of you guys have a similar problem that you found a non-surgical solution for, maybe abowling glove or such? Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting left handed and your wrist hurts during recoil when you are holding the pistol grip? Or are you shooting right handed and it hurts to hold up the rifle?
Sorry, I wasn't clear on exactly what you are asking.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Are you shooting left handed and your wrist hurts during recoil when you are holding the pistol grip? Or are you shooting right handed and it hurts to hold up the rifle?
Sorry, I wasn't clear on exactly what you are asking.

I am shooting right handed and the recoil hurts. Just holding the rifle does not hurt.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
COMatt,
I have a few problems with my left wrist as well. Hitting a golf ball hard with a driver really wakes it up. I use compression on that wrist to alleviate the pain and eventual swelling. When the wrist is sore, most everything hurts it. Compression really helps. Use a good tight sports strap that fits you and I think you will find some relief. Also, unless the rifle is really getting away from your left hand under recoil, just hold it lighter Use the palm to hold the rifle up instead of the fingers to grip it holding it up.
Good luck!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the compression wrap-

I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists-even though yours isn't CTS they make some good support wraps that support not only your wrist but also you palm. It might be worth trying one of those.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fella's! I'll give the wraps a try.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And give up bowling...

After we were married my ex-wife gave up bowling for sex. She said the balls were a lot lighter, and she didn't have to wear special shoes...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote