THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Using only solids in your big bore?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using only solids in your big bore? Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen for reinforcing my point . . . that point being that anyone that chooses to see the issue differently is considered to be dense, anachronistic, small minded . . . .

Now pour yourselves another glass of Kool-Aid and take turns toasting each other . . . . bottoms up.

Mike

Posts: 21120 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Thank you gentlemen for reinforcing my point . . . that point being that anyone that chooses to see the issue differently is considered to be dense, anachronistic, small minded . . . .

EXACTLY!

I always like a man who knows himself! Wink Since you choose to continue using round nose solids...well, you get the idea. horse But I still honestly don't give a damn what you or anyone else shoots. I, unlike you apparently, just think everyone should have all the knowledge currently available so that they can make an informed decision. killpc

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:

With monometal solids there is zero need to use 'traditional weight' bullets to either maintain reliable straight line DEEP penetration or use 'heavier than traditional weight bullets' to enhance that terminal performance. There is no terminal performance downside to using a 450gr monometal solid having a proper meplat size vs using the traditional 500gr FMJ (lead core, copper plated steel jacket) solid. Plus it'll result in slightly less recoil which can only help the occasional DG hunter maintain accurate bullet placement.

Fact is that the use of lighter bullets with the flat nose solids was not a design enhancement but an accommodation to address the length of such solids using traditional weights and the reality that such lengths will not fit in many magazines, require significant powder compression to seat the bullets, will not stabilize, etc. But I like the effort, to take a deficiency and try to spin it as an advantage or at least a neutral.

While I am in fact concerned that George is in my corner, I take comfort that JPK and 465H&H are too and both have spent more than few days in the field using round nose solids. tu2
quote:
Obviously I interrupted Flat Point Solid Happy Hour so I best excuse myself. Bartender . . . another round of Koo-laid for everyone on me . . .

Mike
Ah Mike, why leave so early in the conversation ‘cause one could say there be Kool-Aid drinkers on both sides.

I’ve zero issues with those of you (yourself, JPK & 465H&H, plus any others) who desire to continue using bullets designed (including the FMJ technology utilized) from the early 20th century. I am however happy to note that none of you seem to also supporting the continued use of Cordite power and Berdan primers (both the technology used when your RN FMJ bullets were designed for your DRs) in lieu of using the 21st century’s best of both.

But I find a flaw in your supposition that your traditional weight and construction of bullets – you previously noted a 450gr monometal vs a 500gr traditional construction bullet – so why not look to the multitude of British .458 caliber black powder and cordite powder fueled cartridges, many of which were chambered in double rifles. With black powder they progressed from pure lead to copper cupped lead core bullets – the traditional C&C construction – used from the late 19th century through current 21st century. When they advanced to smokeless cordite powder bullet advancement also included the ‘more modern technology’ copper cupped steel cupped lead core bullets which proved to have better bullet integrity for use against heavily boned African dangerous game. And by the mid to later 20th century this tri-metal construction bullet technology advanced to either copper and steel bonded or copper plated steel for the cup construction with the prior lead core for African DG use. Of course the mid-20th century – principally the WWII era – saw the introduction of monometal construction bullets fairly broadly in military weaponry and post WWII this technology moving into the hunting rifle arena and advancing design wise in hunting bullets generally but also specifically for use against African DG.
Roll Eyes Yes the military could discontinue utilizing monometal bullets in favor of copper cup steel cup lead core bullets though I reckon they’d lose a bit of ‘hard target’ penetration capability by doing so. Maybe give up helicopters and jet planes also for traditional bi-planes of WWI and early WWII. Naw…

Ok…back to the .458 caliber bullets…
The black powder cartridges were loaded with differing bullet weights and construction styles dependent upon the era the bullets were constructed, whether they were designed primarily for single barrel or double barrel rifles, and their intended game. And it wasn’t until the adoption of the smokeless cordite powder adoption that the 480gr copper steel lead FMJ bullets were adopted as the Nitro Express double rifle ‘standard bullet’. And until the Brits banned .458 caliber rifles in their Africa and Asia colonies the 480gr FMJ bullet/cordite powder loaded 450 NE was the ‘supreme DG’ cartridge/rifle combination with few seeing the need for anything larger except perhaps by the professional elephant hunter.

Why was the 480gr .458 FMJ bullet adopted as the ‘standard’ for the 450 NE cartridge? Very likely – at least that’s my perception from reading multiple African hunting books – due to the fact that the original designer could reach a specific velocity point in a 28” barrel, using the rifling twist specified or generally available, at a specific pressure point using Cordite powder, and the combination gave bullet stability and sufficient terminal performance with the bullet technology of the day without overstressing the bullet. And once that bullet weight and velocity was adopted and the first double rifles rolled off the work bench that was it because changing the bullet weight afterwards would require the re-regulation of all existing DRs to use the new bullet weight.

Basically the ‘word of God’ didn’t just tell the designer that a 480gr bullet was the ‘be all to end all’ bullet weight in .458 caliber bullet. It took many trials and errors over a number of years to reach that conclusion.

No it’s not easy to just change the bullet weight in your DRs and keep the same POA/POI and ‘at least’ the same depth of within game terminal performance – but one can change the RN traditional FMJ solid with a same weight FN monometal bore riding solid and keep the same POA/POI with a bullet have much greater within game terminal performance...

But, drink the Kool-Aid of your choice and go forth and do with the bullet you desire – regardless of the century within which it was designed.

Drink up coffee and have some popcorn

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by maxenergy:
there have been advances in equipment without a doubt. you were the one who made the fast food analogy. in hindsight it was silly, wasn't it?

You need a refill on the Kool-aide.BTW,how was the blueberry pie?

wow, is that the best you can do?

Bob

Posts: 2989 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:
. another round of Koo-laid for everyone on me . . .

... I get so busy with my "silly little strain gages" while doing research on barrel strains, and pressure data, and I get so busy on these "silly little terminal tests"...

Well, the reaction to all those test results reminds me of the OJ jury that would not believe the DNA data as it was like "black magic", and hard to comprehend. jumping

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "bullet nose type" feeding well in my rifle doesn't seem to be a problem at all. I simply break the action open, dump any two old bullets down the two tubes, close it up, no problem. Eeker Flat nose solids are my "choice" for all things solid however.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
One thing is for certain, those round nose solids feed well in most rifles. Far better than hydros and similar in a variety of rifles.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
"Tradition" "Nostalgia" "Grandpa"...........

"Grandpa"...... My simple reference to "Historical Evidence", or "Historical Data"..... Meaning basically, "Grandpa used this and so I am going to use it" "Grandpa Syndrome" perhaps........

History is MADE, by those in charge of either writing the books, or those in charge of editing the book....... Sometimes has very little to do with the truth.........

I ask, "What Historical Data or Evidence?"............. Fact of the matter, there is no data, as there is NOTHING TO COMPARE TO........ What Historical Evidence is there that says RN is better than FN? Show me please, I would like to see it... What sort of bullets were compared and used in this so called "Historical Evidence"????? So back 75-100 years ago there is historical evidence that points to the superior terminal qualities of a RN vs FN.......????? Now, honestly, I am not much up on this Historical Evidence thing, I am no expert on this matter. Fact is, I took a look at some of these older books that are mentioned from time to time about elephant hunting and so forth, and they rather bore me, they are so outdated compared to todays tech, they are of little relevance to anything I am interested in at all....... So, I am not an expert on this historical evidence and I can't possibly quote you this or that from any of it, and while you might mention names I recognize, can't really tell you much about it. What I found was mostly hunting type stories and anecdotes of the day.

In this Historical Evidence, there was one chap that shot a lot of elephant with 7mm and 6.5 bullets, is this the historical data one should look at? Should our elephant rifles be chambered in 6.5 or 7mm? Our bullets 150 grs? It is in the "Historical Evidence" and did kill a lot of elephants? So it must be so, for those who wish to follow historical evidence or to add that to their list of PROS or Positives......... One cannot just choose the "Historical Evidence" one wishes to follow can they?? You must take it all or none?

Historical Evidence....... Hmmmmm......... I wonder what choices these "Historians" had to choose from? Did they have a large variety of bullets, RN, FN, pointy nose, blue nose, red nose or any other kind of nose to choose from? Just how many choices did they have at the time this "Historical Evidence" was gathered? I think, maybe they had pointy and round, and they found at that time round was better! So they used the best they had, at that time, and the round nose solid was it! That is ALL they had to choose from, and they chose the best, at the time............

Much of this so called "Historical Evidence" comes from businessmen, or better known as common poachers, trying to make a living selling ivory. They used what they had, and much of the time, that was not so good. Once they sold some ivory, they would try to improve upon their equipment as I understand it, better rifle, bigger rifle, bigger cartridge, this or that. Sadly, there were little choices in bullet selection I believe..... So they used what they had and what was available to them...... Did they kill elephants? Of course they did, its just ridiculous to think otherwise......... And, no one, not one person I know, has ever said different, very much including myself....... They killed 10s of 1000s of elephants with round nose fmj bullets.............

Later Culling is part of the "Historical Evidence"....... And again, just how much of a choice did these guys have? Not much I think, mostly RN FMJ, or that is all I have ever heard of being available to them. Did they kill elephants with them? Yes, of course, and again, 10s of 1000s of them.......... They stacked them up like cordwood many times over....

Now, I ask you this, had there been something available to these men at that time, do you think for one second they would have let "Tradition" "Nostalgia" or "Grandpa Syndrome" get in their way of making MONEY???? For these men at this time in history, "Grandpa Syndrome" would have been for them to use a muzzle loader and 2000 gr lead bullets at 1500 fps to do their work with...... Do you think they would have done this? Of course not, they used the very best they had available at that point in history.........

I ask you, would those same men today, with all the known factors involved, would they choose "Grandpa Syndrome" over new tech that is available today? Perhaps I can answer that for you, but I cannot name names or even places right now, as I do not have that right or permission. But I know for a FACT, that in some of the current park situations, that the men in charge of taking care of problem animals, in particular ELEPHANT, are NOT Using RN FMJ BULLETS, and in fact are using with extreme SUCCESS one of our very very well known, very well respected, Flat Nose Solid designs..... And praise their use to high heavens, getting work done never able to have been achieved before, penetration that is extreme, deep, and above ALL RELIABLE.......... Todays FN Solids, will in fact be the "Historical Data" of the future, and do notice I said "Data" and not "EVIDENCE", as there is NO DATA available, to have data, one would have to have a comparison, and there was no choices then to have a comparison..........

Historical Evidence...... Hmm, I doubt that would stand long in any court, when reasonable thinking men give it just the slightest bit of thought.............

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
It's a little disappointing seeing such animosity in the face of
a differing in opinion.
My take on this , in my limited experience is this;

The non cons gave me great difficulty in feeding in my B/A rifles,
416 and 500J, so didn't continue with them, as DG rifles must feed
flawlessly in times of a quick reload. If you don't have confidence,
then don't use it!!!

Secondly, using my double rifle in 500 with Woodleigh solids I have shot
3 tuskless, all frontal brain and all quite dead? In all cases the woodleighs
Exited and were not recovered. Distances were between 15 and 20m.

I have reloaded som CEB for my 500 but the length of the 570 has dictated a switch to lesser
amounts of faster powder and also a filler. I had trouble getting regulation, so haven't spent
much more time on this path, though I hope to at a later stage.

In my 600 double, through more trial and error I have managed to get a regulation load with the CEB
900 , again using lesser amounts of faster powder plus filler.

The CEB loads are running 50 GPS faster than the woodleigh solids load, but shoot to similar POI at 35m

I plan on using both loads in a few weeks on my double tuskless hunt in Zim.

I have no doubt both will kill the ele , as long as I do my part. I am confident on either load.

So what's all the fuss????

No doubt IMO doubles are easier to get regulation using conventional jacketed proj. And a case full of powder.

They both will kill , no one can argue this.

On ele and head shots, 36" of penetration is plenty from any angle. Body shots, a little different, but when I hunt ele, if I can't get a brain shot , we will back out and try another angle of approach to do this. That's how I want to hunt my ele, others can have a differing opinion, and that's just fine with me!

So I guess I may be classed as a heretic here on AR for electing to use the woodleigh on one of my
ele!!!

So be it, but its ok to be different, isn't it??????

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Tradition" "Nostalgia" "Grandpa"...........

"Grandpa"...... My simple reference to "Historical Evidence", or "Historical Data"..... Meaning basically, "Grandpa used this and so I am going to use it" "Grandpa Syndrome" perhaps........

History is MADE, by those in charge of either writing the books, or those in charge of editing the book....... Sometimes has very little to do with the truth.........

I ask, "What Historical Data or Evidence?"............. Fact of the matter, there is no data, as there is NOTHING TO COMPARE TO........ What Historical Evidence is there that says RN is better than FN? Show me please, I would like to see it... What sort of bullets were compared and used in this so called "Historical Evidence"????? So back 75-100 years ago there is historical evidence that points to the superior terminal qualities of a RN vs FN.......????? Now, honestly, I am not much up on this Historical Evidence thing, I am no expert on this matter. Fact is, I took a look at some of these older books that are mentioned from time to time about elephant hunting and so forth, and they rather bore me, they are so outdated compared to todays tech, they are of little relevance to anything I am interested in at all....... So, I am not an expert on this historical evidence and I can't possibly quote you this or that from any of it, and while you might mention names I recognize, can't really tell you much about it. What I found was mostly hunting type stories and anecdotes of the day.

In this Historical Evidence, there was one chap that shot a lot of elephant with 7mm and 6.5 bullets, is this the historical data one should look at? Should our elephant rifles be chambered in 6.5 or 7mm? Our bullets 150 grs? It is in the "Historical Evidence" and did kill a lot of elephants? So it must be so, for those who wish to follow historical evidence or to add that to their list of PROS or Positives......... One cannot just choose the "Historical Evidence" one wishes to follow can they?? You must take it all or none?

Historical Evidence....... Hmmmmm......... I wonder what choices these "Historians" had to choose from? Did they have a large variety of bullets, RN, FN, pointy nose, blue nose, red nose or any other kind of nose to choose from? Just how many choices did they have at the time this "Historical Evidence" was gathered? I think, maybe they had pointy and round, and they found at that time round was better! So they used the best they had, at that time, and the round nose solid was it! That is ALL they had to choose from, and they chose the best, at the time............

Much of this so called "Historical Evidence" comes from businessmen, or better known as common poachers, trying to make a living selling ivory. They used what they had, and much of the time, that was not so good. Once they sold some ivory, they would try to improve upon their equipment as I understand it, better rifle, bigger rifle, bigger cartridge, this or that. Sadly, there were little choices in bullet selection I believe..... So they used what they had and what was available to them...... Did they kill elephants? Of course they did, its just ridiculous to think otherwise......... And, no one, not one person I know, has ever said different, very much including myself....... They killed 10s of 1000s of elephants with round nose fmj bullets.............

Later Culling is part of the "Historical Evidence"....... And again, just how much of a choice did these guys have? Not much I think, mostly RN FMJ, or that is all I have ever heard of being available to them. Did they kill elephants with them? Yes, of course, and again, 10s of 1000s of them.......... They stacked them up like cordwood many times over....

Now, I ask you this, had there been something available to these men at that time, do you think for one second they would have let "Tradition" "Nostalgia" or "Grandpa Syndrome" get in their way of making MONEY???? For these men at this time in history, "Grandpa Syndrome" would have been for them to use a muzzle loader and 2000 gr lead bullets at 1500 fps to do their work with...... Do you think they would have done this? Of course not, they used the very best they had available at that point in history.........

I ask you, would those same men today, with all the known factors involved, would they choose "Grandpa Syndrome" over new tech that is available today? Perhaps I can answer that for you, but I cannot name names or even places right now, as I do not have that right or permission. But I know for a FACT, that in some of the current park situations, that the men in charge of taking care of problem animals, in particular ELEPHANT, are NOT Using RN FMJ BULLETS, and in fact are using with extreme SUCCESS one of our very very well known, very well respected, Flat Nose Solid designs..... And praise their use to high heavens, getting work done never able to have been achieved before, penetration that is extreme, deep, and above ALL RELIABLE.......... Todays FN Solids, will in fact be the "Historical Data" of the future, and do notice I said "Data" and not "EVIDENCE", as there is NO DATA available, to have data, one would have to have a comparison, and there was no choices then to have a comparison..........

Historical Evidence...... Hmm, I doubt that would stand long in any court, when reasonable thinking men give it just the slightest bit of thought.............

I think it was Mark Twain that wrote, “I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.”

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:

In a word, no.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys,
It's a little disappointing seeing such animosity in the face of a differing in opinion.
Nick,

Don't worry, there's no true animosity between the individuals in this discussion. It's just bantering between guys much as you'd see between friends who support different football (regardless of whether it USA football or ROTW football) teams.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In a word, no.
Ha... Contrary to what Mike said, yes you can elect to be different.

Just realize though that if you don't stay completely neutral but instead join in the bantering you best expect to catch a few verbal jabs from the other side - whichever side that may be. Wink

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
So how ‘bout some more bantering…

quote:
I ask, "What Historical Data or Evidence?"

Historical evidence would indicate that the ‘British designers of the day’ in the 1890s moved from black powder to smokeless powder and from pure lead RN cylindrical bullets to a lead core copper encapsulated RN cylindrical bullets and then to a lead core steel encapsulated copper encapsulated RN cylindrical bullets in the early 20th century. They did this because of higher velocity and cleaner burning of the smokeless gun powder and the greater terminal performance of the lead core steel encapsulated copper encapsulated RN cylindrical bullets when used against heavy boned tuff skinned African dangerous game.

Why did these British designers select the temperature sensitive long strand Cordite smokeless gun powder over temperature insensitive extruded kernel gun powder? Simple, they didn’t have the option of selecting the temperature insensitive extruded kernel gun powder.

Why did these British designers of the late 19th to early 20th century move from pure lead RN cylindrical bullets to a lead core copper encapsulated RN cylindrical bullets to a lead core steel encapsulated copper encapsulated RN cylindrical bullets rather than from pure lead RN cylindrical bullets to machined bore riding FN monometal bullets? Simple, they didn’t have the option of selecting the machined bore riding FN monometal bullet.

Based upon the written record of what was actually offered to the African dangerous game British’ hunting population of the day by the manufacturers of the late 19th century to early 20th century, I would say the above paragraphs are absolute fact.

Also, the RN cylindrical bullet shape proved more terminally stable than a spitzer-nose cylindrical bullet shape in heavy boned tuff skinned African dangerous game. And with the same game, a longer length RN cylindrical bullet shape proved more terminally stable than did a shorter length RN cylindrical bullet shape.

Based upon the written records of the African dangerous game British hunters who tried both commercially available and military surplus cartridges, I would say the above paragraph is fact as well.

What say you other banterers?

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hi Gang!

coffee

Although I haven't been here much as of the last few months I'm pleased to see things haven't changed much.

tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3458 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things that I have experienced while shooting my big bore rifles with solids and softs.
1-The longest barrel life and accuracy is with soft pure copper bullets like the a-frame.
2-Although copper monometals are ok with high velocity chamberings they are full of issues in big bores that have a few rounds through them-they have a hard time stableizing.
3-Brass solids are extremely difficult to stableize unless the barrels are new.
I would like to sum this up by saying the most important thing I consider in choosing a solid is that it shoots hard and is accurate so I can put it exactly where I want to.
Also,in gaining this experience,all the shooting was done by me with my own rifles.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Amazing, there are actually people that believe that round nose solids are preferable to flat nose solids in certain applications. Who would have thought . . . but again what do the folks at Barnes, Duane Wiebe, Keith Wood and others of "that ilk" really know? Luddites, yes, that is what they are Luddites! cuckoo

Pass me another cup of Kool-Aid and a graham cracker.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a product review. wow, that sure turned the argument in your favor - not

Bob

Posts: 2989 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jines..... My buddy.......... Don't you remember covering this exact issue Starting on Jan 24 2012 with both Duane Wiebe and Keith Woods???? Seems Duane may have forgot as well?????

This starts on page two here....

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1043/m/843106779/p/2

Let me refresh your memories.................

quote:
michael458
one of us
Picture of michael458
posted Jan 24, 2012 7:06 AM Hide Post
Wiebe

I am glad to see that you are making more of an effort to get "Proper" Dangerous Game Bullets to feed in these rifles. One does not sacrifice field performance because a particular rifle won't feed a proper designed flat nose solid. One either accomplishes the mission by getting that rifle to feed proper ammo, or one does not take that rifle to the field at all. I won't sacrifice field performance in favor of taking the easy route to use a round nose solid, that has more potential to fail in the field than that of a proper designed bullet. Yes, by all means 100% reliability is foremost and first, but it also has to feed and function with a bullet that will give the best field performance as well. One without the other is a sacrifice either way.

Yes, you can get by on a round nose solid, but the potential is there, more so than with a proper bullet with a proper size meplat. Which happens to be 65% of caliber. You will also do better in this area by recommending faster twist rates in these big bores designed for this sort of work. A faster twist rate goes a long way to stabilize less than optimum bullets designed with smaller meplats than 65% of caliber. Terminal Stabilization.

If you have a rifle that flat refuses to feed either of these bullets North Fork (especially the new design with 68% meplat of caliber) a BBW#13 Nose Profile with 67% meplat of caliber, or the now defunct Barnes Banded FLAT NOSE that is 65% meplat of caliber, this rifle under no circumstances belongs on a dangerous game hunt. If all it will feed is a round nose solid--then it belongs in the trash bin and one needs to get a proper rifle that will feed proper or can be made to feed proper! End of Story, and there is no compromise position on this matter with me.

As I understand you are a superb gunsmith, well respected, and you have my respect in that arena.

Michael

quote:
Duane Wiebe
one of us
posted Jan 24, 2012 7:51 PM Hide Post
Keith Wood (American Hunter) latest issue has some reports on bullet configuratiion. He makes special mention of problems with flat noses.

quote:

michael458
one of us
Picture of michael458
posted Jan 24, 2012 8:07 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Keith Wood (American Hunter) latest issue has some reports on bullet configuratiion. He makes special mention of problems with flat noses.

And Keith Wood is very very WRONG! Seems to me he could use some education. Since I receive the Rifleman, not the hunter, I will reserve some comments until I read that silly article, it is being sent to me now. Until I see what sort of "Problems" he may be speaking of, it's difficult to comment.

There are no "Terminal Penetration" issues or problems with Flat Nose solids of proper design. Or, are you speaking of getting cheap rifles to feed as the "problem" with Flat Noses? What exactly are you saying is a "problem"?

I am speaking of "terminal Performance" with dangerous game, one does not sacrifice that at all.

Michael

quote:
michael458
one of us
Picture of michael458
posted Jan 25, 2012 2:00 PM Hide Post
quote:
Well...maybe read the article first?

Rest assured I will read the article. I become aware of the article a few days ago from a friend over in TX. This is the message he sent to me, just in case you are interested. These are not my words, and I am not at liberty to say who. The article is being sent. I will also send a letter to Mr. Keith Wood if warranted as well. And I suppose I was incorrect in my thinking that you are making more of an effort to get proper bullets to feed and function in these so called rifles, especially in light of this article, if you did indeed make that quote stated below.

Remember, this was sent to me, not my words!

quote:

Jan 23, 2012

Michael,

Have you seen the latest American Hunter magazine? Kieth Wood, the author, I assume has little to no experience with flat-nosed solids. He goes so far as to say," Any custom rifle builder who specializes in big-bore dangerous game rifles will likely turn red when you bring up the subject of feeding flat-point solids." He then goes on to quote Duane Wiebe,"If you change the geometry to make it feed at that steeper angle you often compromise round-nose feeding, so its better to stick with a round nose in the first place."

What a bunch of crap! I have had exactly zero issues feeding BBW#13s in my 375 and 600, or rapters in my 308. Several folks I shoot with have had stupendous results with .458 and .500cal bullets.

I am not swayed in the least by the propaganda machine. I am sending a personnal challenge to Mr. Wood to use flat-point solids and see for himself whether they cause problems or not.

I do understand he is advertising for Barnes and thus makes shameless plugs. However merely taking the words of the ammo maker with no personnal experience makes one look rather dumb.

These are some of the things that are being talked about by those who hunt big game, and know the difference in terminal performance and how that terminal performance can work for you in the field. At times, possibly even saving life and limb, yes--that is correct, because of a proper designed bullet it could just save life and limb!

I am sure the article will arrive in a day or so. I am a Patron Member of the NRA, wife and kids members, the kids used to get Hunter, but I get rifleman. So I have not seen it myself yet, as I said I received the above the other day.

Michael

quote:

michael458
one of us
Picture of michael458
posted Jan 26, 2012 3:25 PM Hide Post
Duane Wiebe

Well, no article by this woods chap yet, but have been told I should have it the next day or so.

In the meantime I think there is something you might should read. Since it seems you are not willing to take my word on the matter, and would prefer something because it has been printed, then you really should take a good hard look at this most recent book. There is an excellent section in this book about Solid Bullets. All the reasons why Flat Nose Solid designs perform better, and are the choice of Dangerous Game Hunters. While it is the best book in print right now on these subjects it comes up just short of being up to date with some of the latest bullet designs. Regardless, it is the most up to date book of its kind currently.

In this book you would soon learn why we as Dangerous Game Hunters demand our rifles get a steady diet of proper designed solids, and round nose bullets are NOT part of that equation! I think you might want to also recommend this to your friend keith woods, I am sure he might benefit from it as well.

Michael

quote:

michael458
one of us
Picture of michael458
posted Jan 27, 2012 4:03 PM Hide Post
Hi Klein

Welcome to AR. Thanks for the adder from D'Arcy. I can see some really good points about this. A real Dangerous Game Rifle should feed Real Dangerous Game Bullets in this manner. All of mine do feed Dangerous Game bullets, exactly as they are supposed to. However, I use only Winchester M70s. And nothing else.

A real Dangerous Game Rifle is not a stand alone component! Because it says, or because the maker says that it is a Dangerous Game Rifle, does not make it so. There are 3 major parts to being a true DGR, the "Rifle" is only one of those components. It is the platform, and that is all it is. Now, I concur with Wiebe, it must be 100% reliable, nothing else is acceptable. It must be made this way, and made to withstand a great deal of abuse, as it will most certainly be put to the test in the field. As for design those things are still being looked at by many individuals. And by design I am not talking about bolt, or double or lever, I am talking about length and weight. To me, a long barrel is not advantageous for a DGR. My barrels are now 18-20 inches. I favor a Winchester M70. I like weights no more than 8 to 8.5 lbs MAXIMUM. To me, a rifle much longer than this can be a DGR, but it should be termed more a DGHR--Dangerous Game Hunting Rifle, for the casual hunter.

The second part of the triad is the cartridge. It must be powerful enough and have enough capacity to accomplish the mission asked of it. If that mission is Elephant, then that cartridge needs to be capable of launching a bullet of proper caliber and proportions to a velocity conducive to being capable of taking that elephant. It has to be more than just "Adequate", it has to be a step above that and be into the "Stopping" category.

So now we have the Platform, called a Rifle. We have the Cartridge. And we can have all the fancy rifles that work slick as snot, and all the big impressive cartridges to show our friends how big they are and how impressive they are, but if you don't have a proper bullet to accomplish your mission, all the rest is just moot, and more for bragging rights than anything else! I am sorry to tell you this, but here it is, THE BULLET DOES ALL THE HEAVY LIFTING! It does all the work in the end. The BULLET is EVERYTHING. You can't possibly sacrifice the performance of the bullet and say you have a Dangerous Game Rifle, capable of doing any mission asked of it! OK, throw the rifle at the animal, see what happens! Throw the cartridge at the animal, see what happens! Chunk a proper designed bullet at the animal, see what happens!

Sacrifice Terminal Bullet Performance so it makes it easier to make the rifle feed? What kind of logic is that?

I did in fact receive a copy of Mr. Woods article, and it is nothing more than a advert for Barnes, and all the propaganda is straight from Barnes. All the so called "QUOTES" about "PERCEIVED" performance of flat nose bullets, straight from Barnes. The whole thing is nothing but a Barnes Commercial, and propaganda to promote their decision to move away from the really good bullet they developed, the Barnes Banded Flat Nose, to a round nose POS, so it would feed in CHEAP ASS RIFLES. This is in fact the jest of the matter, and nothing more. So one way or the other, Barnes is lying to shooters! When the Barnes Banded Flat Nose Solid hit the market, the propaganda then was that the Flat Nose bullet drives deeper, and straighter, and hits harder than the round nose. Today, they are telling us that was all just "Perceived" and because of reliability they promote the round nose as superior. Either way, it is a lie. They did not tell us when the flat nose hit the market, it was only "Perceived" as being better, hell no, it was better by all accounts! I never saw the word, "Perceived" anywhere in their information!

Sacrifice Bullet Performance to make cheap factory rifles feed better! A shame, disgrace, and actually a slap in the face to shooters, and to folks who know better. And all those that would join in this mockery are no better. Count Keith Woods as one of those.

"Perceived increase of terminal effectiveness of the flat-point solid"

Not only is this a load of BS, but it has been proven for many years now, by hunters, shooters, both in the field, and in the lab that the Flat Nose Solid is FAR SUPERIOR in all arenas of Terminal Performance to any round nose solid ever used or designed. I challenge any individual, any company, anyone, anywhere to show me exactly what area the round nose solid is superior in, and prove it to me! If you want to see "Lab Work" just go upstairs to Big Bores, read the 217 page thread on Terminal Bullet Performance, and you will see it proven there time and again of how both bullets react not only in test work, but in the field as well. It's all there, you don't have to go far. I don't "Perceive" anything, it's fact. Read the Dangerous Game Cartridges book listed above, you will once again, see it the PROVEN performance throughout those pages, and that is by real people doing real things, with real dangerous game.

The article mentions tow "Dangerous Game Hunters" in camp with Woods that had untimely failures to feed using flat nose solids. Yet he mentions nothing of their experience, the rifle make and model, even the brand bullet or sort of bullet, cartridge, nothing. No more info than necessary to leave an impression on the unknowing out there so as to look bad and ugly for the flat nose! He does not wish to explain the problem, just to hi-light it in an attempt to paint a dark picture on the poor flat nose solid! Man, he should go to work for all of the ANTIs out there, he would fit right in with the propaganda crowd they have!

I have been in camp with lot's of hunters, many of them never even fired their rifles before leaving. Some had the PH sight the rifle in for them. Some bought ammo from the Wally World! Some had no clue as to what bullet they were even shooting! I know of one chap that went buffalo hunting with one of those "Cheap Ass Rifles" I mentioned, in 458 Lott and it would not keep rounds in the magazine, nor would it feed proper. Basically a Single Shot bolt gun. He went anyway, managed to get a Swift A Frame in the right spot, and he had his buffalo. I know another fellow that went elephant hunting, I caught him struggling with his rifle to load it, checked what he was doing, elephants were coming down the path, and he was trying to get a 4th round in his 3 ROUND MAGAZINE! He did not even know how many rounds his rifle held! And there are 1000s of more stories like this,if you hunt Africa, ask your PH, he will have stories on top of stories about these sort of things. Does it come as a surprise two hunters in camp had trouble with their rifles? Oh my god, how stupid, of course it's not a surprise, it will happen on the very next trip I promise you! But it will ALWAYS be from the guys who never shot their rifle, and if they did, shot a few times to sight it in, maybe. It won't be from a serious shooter who knows his rifle, that much is a 100% given! I can give you another incident that just occurred today. I know a fellow that is going elephant hunting this year. His Gun Dealer called me today, as he is going to shoot, test, and sight in this mans rifle for him. So he calls and asks advice on what, how, and where. I hope my man shoots the rifle some himself before going on this trip.

Woods then shoots his buffalo with a TSX from the factory Barnes ammo, great success, and makes no further mention of solids? I suppose he never fired another round after the 1st. There is zero mention of using the round nose factory solid ammo.

This so called "article" is a farce, its a joke, and an insult to all those who know better. A slap in the face to shooters and hunters, a disservice to hunters who don't know any better. I would want no part of that, and would hate to have my name attached to it.

Duane, I mean no insult to you personally or otherwise. We are for sure on different sides of the fence on this issue. I know your work is beyond reproach, and is in many ways an art that I could never grasp. And you are to be commended on that work. But I tell you right now, I am a Dangerous Game Hunter, I have a good bit of experience in this matter, and if you were MY GunSmith, and building a DGR for me, it would damn well feed the bullets I needed it to feed, to increase my potential for success in the field. And you would make sure it did this 100% of the time, and I promise you this, it would be a Flat Nose Solid, in fact, it would be a CEB BBW#13 Solid, with a 67% meplat of caliber. And if you could not accomplish that mission, I would expect you to tell me to find myself a rifle that is capable of feeding this bullet, or to find myself another gunsmith and you and I would be dandy! But don't ever tell me that I am better off having a round nose solid because my rifle will feed better, and that a DGR should use RN solids because of reliability!

Michael

quote:

Duane Wiebe
one of us
posted Jan 27, 2012 5:46 PM Hide Post
Michael: Interesting points and I really can't say you're "wrong" Darned if I can find if I ever said that.

I did not make the quote about feeding issues directly to Mr Wood..but certainly stand behind that quote.

The bottom line is that I DID MAKE THOSE BEER CANS FEED.... as the customer wished!

I do maintain, however, that the chances for a "stumble" with almost square corners are far more likely to occur than with round noses.

That is not rocket science...it's that very principle that freeways are made with sweeping curves instead of corners.

These are just opinions....but in fairness to the client, I will continue to point out the pros and cons of the feeding reliability issue. You see....in a charge, I'd rather he got off a shot with his antiquated,unreliable RN that a jam with his whiz-bang ultra penetrating straight line flat nose.

Want flat noses to feed? ....OK...I revert to rule No 1 " The man wants a blue suit, you turn on the blue lights"

quote:

michael458
one of us
Picture of michael458
posted Jan 28, 2012 7:33 AM Hide Post
quote:
Michael: Interesting points and I really can't say you're "wrong" Darned if I can find if I ever said that.

I did not make the quote about feeding issues directly to Mr Wood..but certainly stand behind that quote.

The bottom line is that I DID MAKE THOSE BEER CANS FEED.... as the customer wished!

I do maintain, however, that the chances for a "stumble" with almost square corners are far more likely to occur than with round noses.

That is not rocket science...it's that very principle that freeways are made with sweeping curves instead of corners.

These are just opinions....but in fairness to the client, I will continue to point out the pros and cons of the feeding reliability issue. You see....in a charge, I'd rather he got off a shot with his antiquated,unreliable RN that a jam with his whiz-bang ultra penetrating straight line flat nose.

Want flat noses to feed? ....OK...I revert to rule No 1 " The man wants a blue suit, you turn on the blue lights"

Duane

First off, thanks, while we stand somewhat apart on one issue, in reality not so far as one would think in the end. I am having a great conversation with Mr. Keith Wood (no s added) up on the Terminal Performance thread right now. Please go up and review it, saves me a lot of time repeating much of the same here.

Of course you made the beer cans feed, it's your job to do so, and you are for sure talented enough to make it so! One would have no doubt of that. I am but a shooter, you are the gunsmith, and have that talent!

quote:

rotflmo

Now by damned, that's the spirit! I think we have come to a "meeting of the minds" you might say!

I see boomy needs to get some BBW#13s off to you, and that is a great idea. Ya See Duane, all FLAT NOSE BULLETS are not CREATED EQUAL. There are some sorry ass flat nose bullets out there too.

I have most calibers of BBW#13s here, I can probably get your address from your website, what calibers would you like some to take a look at right now? Let me know, I will get them off to you this coming week! Do let me know!

Thanks Duane, good response and well said! I think we can agree to disagree on a few points and still get along just dandy! Appreciated!

Michael

quote:

Duane Wiebe
one of us
posted Jan 28, 2012 11:22 AM Hide Post
Say...that looks interesting...wouoldn't mind a few 404's

quote:

Duane Wiebe
one of us
posted Jan 29, 2012 11:41 AM Hide Post
You know...you don't have to bust chops on this...only if convenient... POB 822 Spanaway WA 98387

quote:

MJines one of us Picture of MJines

posted Jan 29, 2012 5:12 PM Hide Post
Duane,

Some background. I have measured both the .423 Barnes Banded Solids and the CEB BBW#13 Solids.

Barnes:

[From the top edge of the top band to the meplat] .590

[From the bottom edge of the top band (the edge that would sit on top of the brass where you crimp) to the meplat] .655

CEB:

[From the top edge of the top band to the meplat] .700

[From the bottom edge of the top band (the edge that would sit on top of the brass where you crimp) to the meplat] .760

As you can see there is a considerable difference in the exposed portion of the bullet if you crimp at the bottom of the last band on both.

[From Hornady 8th Edition] The max COAL for the .404J is 3.530. The brass max case length is 2.875. With the Barnes, seated at the bottom of the last band, the COAL will be exactly 3.530. With the CEB, seated at the bottom of the last band, the COAL will be 3.635, .105 longer than the COAL. Even at the trim to length of 2.865, the COAL with the CEB bullet will be 3.625, .095 longer than the COAL.

The Barnes feed fine in my .404J Parker Hale. The CEBs are too long to fit in the magazine for the Parker Hale. The dummies I am sending you are loaded with Barnes Banded Solids.
Mike

quote:
Duane Wiebe
one of us
posted Jan 28, 2012 11:22 AM Hide Post
Say...that looks interesting...wouoldn't mind a few 404's

quote:
Duane Wiebe
one of us
posted Jan 29, 2012 11:41 AM Hide Post
You know...you don't have to bust chops on this...only if convenient... POB 822 Spanaway WA 98387

quote:
michael458
one of us
Picture of michael458
posted Jan 29, 2012 4:56 PM Hide Post
Duane

No actually it is no issue at all Duane, and in fact I need some assistance and advice as well on a subject concerning bullet design!

Our buddy Mike Jines is sending you some sort of rifle and dummies in 404J. I have no experience in 404 at all. We designed the BBW#13 with a .700 nose projection, above the top band to the flat nose. Seems this might be a little long in the nose, for the 404J and 404J actions? Mike seems to think the nose projection is too long and that a shorter nose projection would work better in 404J. I need to send some of these to you to check out for Mike and myself as well. It might be that we need to shorten that nose projection from .700 to .600 to work better in the various actions one puts 404 in?? If so, that can be done without a problem. I don't really want to go much less than .600 nose projection, as Nose Projection is a factor in depth of penetration, not effected much from .700 to .600, but a nose projection of .450 starts loosing depth by as much as 25%-30% over the longer nose projection!

I will get some things off to you this week to check out.

Thanks Duane!

Michael

quote:
michael458
one of us
Picture of michael458
posted Jan 30, 2012 3:35 PM Hide Post
Duane

I sent some .423 samples of BBW#13s out today. Along with I sent some 450 and 480 BBW#13 Solids in .458 caliber as well. Figured you could take a look at those, maybe load some dummies up and see how they work in those "Cheap Ass Rifles" you have to work on from time to time! rotflmo

Left via USPS today.

Michael

quote:

capoward
one of us
Picture of capoward
posted Feb 01, 2012 3:57 AM Hide Post

Have you tried seating the CEB BBW#13's to the upper edge of the top band? Or perhaps seated just slightly deeper to crimp just above the band? Then you're only off 0.005" from how you're seating the Barnes BND SLD.

Sam Rose has to seat the CEB bullets in just such a manner in one of his DRs so it isn't a problem with the bullet to do so.

quote:

MJines
one of us
Picture of MJines
posted Feb 01, 2012 9:44 AM Hide Post
If you seat them in the manner you described, they feed fine. I am leery though of seating the bullets where the crimp is above all the bands. Seems like the crimp should be just below the last band otherwise you risk having recoil drive the bullets in the magazine back down into the case. I think it is a bullet design issue (the bands need to be repositioned) that should be capable of being easily rectified.

Mike

Funny you forgot all this???? Too bad really.......

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Now let me get back to my "Kool-Aid".................

One of Us
posted Hide Post
by the way, may want to think a bit about copyright infringement

Bob

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxenergy:
by the way, may want to think a bit about copyright infringement

Sue me. rotflmo

[Michael, brevity is the soul of wit. Not my saying by the way, Shakespeare's. There are no bonus points for length.]

Mike

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are no bonus points for length

OK, short and sweet.....

Jines....... moon

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There are no bonus points for length

OK, short and sweet.....

Jines....... moon

As Obama would say, don't be a hater . . . have another round.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
No...I didn't forget... Just came across a problem in a 450 Rigby with Northfork bullets. The throat stopped the round from fully entering the chamber. The "ogive" interferred. So..either make the throat longer..which will compromise both accuracy and velocity if...say RN's were used..or seat the bullet deeper. As mentioned before, I have no idea what the result will be in powder capacity and velocity.

Seems to me...on a bolt gun, for optimal performance, one must decide to set it up for either flat nose OR round nose. I know this is splitting hairs..am I wrong in theory?

Duane.......

There is such a HUGE, and I mean extreme, difference in Terminal Performance, the rifle would either shoot a Properly Designed North Fork or CEB, or you could throw mine in the trash, as I would consider the rifle flawed and totally of zero use, or value.......... Do not think for one second I jest about this.... I would not have a rifle that would not feed either the NEW profile North Fork, or CEB #13........

I currently count 42 big bore bolt rifles from .416-.500 caliber and every single one of them will feed these bullets flawlessly.......

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane

One thing that keeps getting lost about the mono metal flat nose bullets is that, like a Barnes tsx or a GS Custom bullet,you can drop down in bullet weight. This gives you more powder room which add,s velocity and penetration.

Its a win-win when you drop down in bullet weight.

Remember these are a new class of bullet, the mono metals make you change the parameters.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:
One thing that keeps getting lost about the mono metal flat nose bullets is that, like a Barnes tsx or a GS Custom bullet,you can drop down in bullet weight. This gives you more powder room which add,s velocity and penetration.

Is that an advantage or an accommodation?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
No...I didn't forget... Just came across a problem in a 450 Rigby with Northfork bullets. The throat stopped the round from fully entering the chamber. The "ogive" interferred. So...either make the throat longer...which will compromise both accuracy and velocity if...say RN's were used...or seat the bullet deeper. As mentioned before, I have no idea what the result will be in powder capacity and velocity.

Seems to me...on a bolt gun, for optimal performance, one must decide to set it up for either flat nose OR round nose. I know this is splitting hairs...am I wrong in theory?

quote:
But to revisit my question...If a standard CIP throat ...a "flat nose" will jam into the lands... If the bullet is seated deeper, powder capacity is diminished.... Velocity will or should drop...so far make sense?

So...to actually use that flat nose to it's max potential, the throat must be lengthened. Now if you need to use a RN, that long throat will reduce pressure...(along with velocity)

The solution seems simple enough. Set the rifle up for one or the other, knowing full well that for MAX performance, you must make a choice.
Hope I don’t come across as grumpy, my iPad crapped this post twice so had to dig out PC just to do it! Ok…

Duane,

This made little sense to me as the NF FPS bullets are designed with the banding at caliber diameter but the shank being sub-bore by a couple of thousands inch…

Since I don’t possess a 500gr .458 NF FPS bullets I designed one in QuickDesign using the length drawn from the NF website but using the Ogive to Meplat length from the 450gr .458 CEB Safari Solid (similar shape but slightly different nose angle).

Anyway here’s what I can up with…
[color:red]450 Rigby has a CIP specification of 0.2362” freebore, a 2º59’38” throat angle, and a 3.750” Cartridge MaxOAL.[/red]
1) Using my ‘dummy’ bullet QD noted collision points at the throat to groove diameter junction.
2) Changing on the throat angle to 1º30’ eliminated all collision points.
3) Keeping the CIP specification throat angle required a freebore increase to 0.435” to eliminate all collision points.

I reckon you could run a 1º30’ throating reamer into the barrel and determine if that resolved the issue. That certainly won’t affect velocity or accuracy with factory loaded RN ammunition.

If it doesn’t work then you’ll need to increase the freebore which will decrease the factory RN ammunition velocity slightly due to decrease pressure. I don’t believe it will result in a decrease in accuracy with RN bullets – but let me pose a question to the collective.
If you own or have shot a 460 Weatherby, “How is/was the accuracy when loaded to 3.750” COAL with Woodleigh RN bullets?”

Funny stuff this.
Now the original reason I stated this made little sense to me is because all of our rifles RUM, Lapua, and Rigby based wildcat cartridges are spec’d with 1º30’ throat angles and none have suffered a bullet shank/ogive collision point with the barrel rifling when using the CEB Safari Solids, the GSC FN Solids, the NF FP Solids, or the S&K FN Solids.

Caveat Here…
I intentionally loaded some 500gr .500 CEB Safari Solids (the original equidistant 4-band version) with two bands exposed to assure that monometal solids loaded to 3.58” would correctly feed from the magazine (3.615” internal length) of my M98 commercial FN action that Steve was working on – and yes the upper band did collide with the freebore throat intersection but for the following reasons:
1) the brass was trimmed to w/I 0.001” of the minimum spec for the chamber length (far past the max cartridge length), and
2) I asked Steve to keep the chamber at the absolute minimum that a Go Gauge ‘would go’.
So this was a situation with a known dummy cartridge ‘with an intentional chambering issue’ to assure ‘maximum length magazine zero feeding issues’ could be accomplished.

Anyway that’s my 2¢ on the issue…

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
But to revisit my question...If a standard CIP throat ...a "flat nose" will jam into the lands... If the bullet is seated deeper, powder capacity is diminished .... Velocity will or should drop..so far make sense?

Duane.....

I guess I am missing something here? I have dozen or more standard M70s in 416 Rem, 458 Win, 458 Lott, several rifles in each cartridge, and I have not run into any FN jamming in the lands???? First, they are bore riders, and cannot do that if done proper anyway? We did nothing special with any of the B&M series cartridges to specifically accommodate any FN or RN bullet, and all work fine, I have never seen this jamming into the lands you are talking about with any of my rifles or cartridges, and any of the standard 416s or 458s????

Confused

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
But to revisit my question...If a standard CIP throat ...a "flat nose" will jam into the lands... If the bullet is seated deeper, powder capacity is diminished .... Velocity will or should drop..so far make sense?

Duane.....

I guess I am missing something here? I have dozen or more standard M70s in 416 Rem, 458 Win, 458 Lott, several rifles in each cartridge, and I have not run into any FN jamming in the lands???? First, they are bore riders, and cannot do that if done proper anyway? We did nothing special with any of the B&M series cartridges to specifically accommodate any FN or RN bullet, and all work fine, I have never seen this jamming into the lands you are talking about with any of my rifles or cartridges, and any of the standard 416s or 458s????

Confused

Michael
Michael,

Read my post just preceding yours.

Seems pretty goofy but QuickDESIGN indicates collision in the throat area due to the 450 Rigby's CIP specification 2º59'38" throat angle. Change the throat angle to 1º30' and the throat area collision is eliminated.

Definitely funky...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
One thing that keeps getting lost about the mono metal flat nose bullets is that, like a Barnes tsx or a GS Custom bullet, you can drop down in bullet weight. This gives you more powder room which add’s velocity and penetration.

Back to Mike…

How ‘bout we just discuss .458 caliber.

Was it an advantage or an accommodation when the 480gr RN Solid was adopted in the 450 Nitro Express for dangerous game use? Was that the combination of minimal bullet weight (due to the bullet construction technology of the day) to allow a targeted 2150fps MV (with the available powder technology of the day)? Or was that just the ‘be all to end all’ bullet weight in .458 caliber (regardless of bullet construction technology) and the velocity was reached by happenstance? If so is this documented anywhere? Or is it just accepted as so ‘cause that’s what they adopted?

The .458 Winchester Magnum using the same 480gr bullet as the 450 NE easily matched the NE MV with a shorter barrel and suffered zero powder issues (with the powder technology of the day). However some factory bozo determined that a 510gr bullet was the ‘be all to end all’ bullet weight for the .458 WinMag and the cartridge fairly quickly suffered powder issues (with the powder technology of the day).

And of course 500gr .458 caliber solids were adopted for pretty much all other factory loadings (except the .458 WinMag and the 450 NE). Reason(s) why this is the ‘be all to end all’ bullet weight in .458 caliber?

Then some individuals began touting the heavier 550gr .458 caliber Solids for ‘giving unbelievable penetration’. So now is it the ‘be all to end all’ bullet weight in .458 caliber?

And of course the 480gr, the 500gr, the 510gr, and the 550gr bullets are all of copper encapsulated steel cupped lead core construction RN style bullets.

But which bullet weight is the best ‘be all to end all’? Or are all of them strictly an accommodation to the rifle/cartridge combination to reach a certain (generally unidentified) level of performance.

Now we have some Southern dude coming along with light weight short barreled rifles (probably better termed carbines) using a cartridge having the powder capacity of the 458 WinMag but using ‘severely underweight’ 450gr .458 FN monometal solids. The darn thing is that combinations provides greater within mass straight line penetration than the 480gr, the 500gr, and 510gr RN conventional construction solid bullets in their factory chambering’s. (I don’t recollect him testing the 550gr RN conventional construction bullets so perhaps they with their heavier weight and longer length might come closer to the little 450gr FN monometal bullet in terminal performance.) However load that ‘severely underweight’ 450gr FN monometal bullet into a cartridge having greater powder capacity than the 458 WinMag and the terminal performance of the bullet is even greater…

So back to your question, “Is that an advantage or an accommodation?” “How can it be an accommodation when the lighter weight 450gr FN monometal bullet offers greater terminal performance than the heavier 500gr conventional construction bullet?”

It appears the answer is, “It’s an advantage.”

But as they say, "Use what you want to use, but if it's not the 'be all to end all' don't blame me." ;-)

Time for a coffee refill ‘cause it’s raining today…

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading all this (and a bit of the excessive terminal performance thread) all I am able to say is that since round nose bullets have been killing game for over a century, they work. Michael and colleagues have proved to me that the flat point does outperform the round nose, but come on guys, how dead is dead? If the RN will kill your buffalo or elephant, and so will your latest greatest, isn't it just another option? I don't need 2700 fps in my .416, I have done just fine with shooting out to 350 yards when needed with a standard velocity 300 grain .375 so I don't need "more" performance out of them.

I confess that I use the flat point configuration in my dangerous game rifles, but they also are absolutely reliable in them. I would not hesitate to use a Woodleigh of traditional design if that is what shot best in my given rifle.

I kind of think that this is what Mike is trying to get at, but get the "elite" bullet guy's goats... Successfully, I might add.

Posts: 10500 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
I kind of think that this is what Mike is trying to get at, but get the "elite" bullet guy's goats... Successfully, I might add.
Ah say it isn't so! FN monometal bullets are "elite" bullets? Naugh...Mike's been telling us that Woodleigh RN solids...

Eeker You tellin me Mike's been pulling our leg! Naugh... I think he actually believes it. Wink

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
No...I didn't forget... Just came across a problem in a 450 Rigby with Northfork bullets. The throat stopped the round from fully entering the chamber. The "ogive" interferred. So..either make the throat longer..which will compromise both accuracy and velocity if...say RN's were used..or seat the bullet deeper. As mentioned before, I have no idea what the result will be in powder capacity and velocity.

Seems to me...on a bolt gun, for optimal performance, one must decide to set it up for either flat nose OR round nose. I know this is splitting hairs..am I wrong in theory?

Seating a bullet deeper doesn't eat up enough powder capacity to matter in the velocity department. At equal pressure a 10% in crease in powder capacity will yield a 2 1/2% increase in velocity. A 10% decrease in powder capacity will yield a 2 1/2% decrease in velocity. Sedating a bullet a little deeper doesn't decrease powder capacity significantly.

The increased terminal performance of flat point solids is well worth the effort to correct any feeding issues.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Most I believe feels that added penetration is an advantage. Don't see the down side, since penetration is why solids are used in the first place.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
After reading all this (and a bit of the excessive terminal performance thread) all I am able to say is that since round nose bullets have been killing game for over a century, they work. Michael and colleagues have proved to me that the flat point does outperform the round nose, but come on guys, how dead is dead? If the RN will kill your buffalo or elephant, and so will your latest greatest, isn't it just another option? I don't need 2700 fps in my .416, I have done just fine with shooting out to 350 yards when needed with a standard velocity 300 grain .375 so I don't need "more" performance out of them.

I confess that I use the flat point configuration in my dangerous game rifles, but they also are absolutely reliable in them. I would not hesitate to use a Woodleigh of traditional design if that is what shot best in my given rifle.

CR......

You are correct, in most cases the RN kills "Almost" just as dead as a Properly Designed FN... By the way, and you already know this, but a poorly designed FN Solid, is no better than, and in many cases far worse than a standard RN Solid....... From here on out, and really before this, I always think in terms of Properly Designed, taking into account the 8 Known Factors of Solid Penetration, 5 of which are incorporated into Bullet Design....

Solids are used for many things, and not just elephant heads..... There are many many scenarios that I employ solids, because of the advantages a properly design solid gives me in the field...... These Solids are the absolute best and cheapest insurance policy you can have in the field when things go to crap....... I incorporate solids into any hunt, thin or thick skinned animals, and double especially for dangerous game..... Just like what is common for buffalo, 1st round up trauma inflicting bullet, followed by solids, I have done this on various plains game with success, and even bear in Alaska with success......

While I conducted tests here a couple of years ago to see what bullets busted through sticks and brush and could be relied upon to get to the target and sort a problem out, I have also done this in a serious manner in the field, although not intentional. Seems every year in the field I come into conflict with sticks, trees, and brush, and the most reliable bullet I have found that will go through this sort of material and hit its intending target is the new modern FN Solid...... All are not created equal, and only North Fork and #13s need apply for the job, none of the rest I tested are suitable....... In this case, the RN Woodleighs are at the bottom of the barrel for reliable brush busting abilities........ How Dead is Dead? Zero doubt that the #13s and like are far deader, as they have made it to their target more reliably....... And lets face it, when hunting buffalo many have said the modern softs and even the #13 Raptors are so good, there is no need for a solid anymore..... I don't agree with that at all. I am not talking 1st shots, but second + shots....... On that second shot, your soft/Raptor might not have put him down on the spot, maybe you hit a stick? More than likely its just ole buffs nature to be hateful after taking the first bullet and he normally bucks up and runs, and most cases AWAY, so you are shooting South on a North Bound buff..... What is the best and most reliable bullet that can get you into the vitals? A solid of course. While many have used RN Solids in the past for this, some successful, some NOT, the greatest chance for one to reach vitals from this position is a Properly Designed FN Solid........... And, if buff goes into the thick stuff, then the needle pegs hard over to the Properly Designed FN Solid.....

For instance:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=452101374&f=1411043

quote:

Ted Gorsline
one of us
posted May 02, 2006 7:17 AM Hide Post
Dear Shakiri,

I was using Wolfgang Rommey factory loads. Its not that the 500 Jeffrey is not a good calibre. It is.

But I prefer straight line penetration above anything else because most of the buffalo I shoot are fleeing.

What struck me was me shooting at a fleeing buff with the 500 Jeffrey and a client shooting the same buffalo with the 9.3x74R and 300 grain Barnes solids.

It was about 100 yards going straight away fast. I hit the left ham and he hit the right and both hits were at about the same place.

My solid did not reach the chest cavity. It swerved and went up into the back. His solid went through to the front of the chest and killed the buff.

Soft nosed bullet are really only designed to make a big hole in the lungs. That is where they offer an advantage. But for any odd angle shot a solid is better.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

quote:
shakari
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted May 02, 2006 8:55 AM Hide Post
Ted,

Interesting...... I note it was a Woodleigh solid which is FMJ.....do you know if there was any distortion? - When I use solids, (which is most of the time nowadays) I make it a rule to use mono solids.

I also don't know what load WR use.

either way, I've never had cause to be disappointed in my .500.

I've just got some FN mono solids from GS custom and am looking forward to trying them out........

quote:
Ted Gorsline
one of us
posted May 02, 2006 9:20 AM Hide Post
Dear Shakiri,

It was a Woodleigh 535 grain solid and it did not distort. The boys cut it out and I looked at it. It may have veered upwards into the back and got stopped by the rubbery skin.

Joe O'Bannon, who hunts for Miombo, has a constant problem with Woodleigh solids veering off course in his 470s. I think it must be the shape of the nose. But on the whole I like them.

quote:

500grains
one of us
posted May 02, 2006 10:33 AM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

I've just got some FN mono solids from GS custom and am looking forward to trying them out........

You will find that was the best decision you have ever made concerning your .500 Jeffery.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002 Reply With Quote
shakari
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted May 02, 2006 10:40 AM Hide Post
I've gotta say they look really nice - I was a bit concerned when I first saw them that they might not feed very well but I loaded a few up and they go through the rifle like butter.....

Naturally it is possible for any bullet to fail in the field..... The field presents scenarios that one could not always imagine......... I personally know of several instances in which various RN Solids have failed their mission to make something dead even a little bit...... One good Friend, 450NE here, was shooting Woodleigh RN Solids on an elephant, first shot frontal bullet entered dead center, took a turn 90 degree to the side, and exited the side of the head, no visible effect, no big knockout value, and this was a 458 caliber Woody RN, a quick second shot on side brain put the elephant in the dirt.... So one bullet, the first one took a 90 degree turn, and the other did its job.....

There are other instances and individuals some here on AR, others not, that have had RN Solids veer off course or fail to reach vital areas, including elephant brains, and buffalo vitals........ I have personally seen myself a RN Solid veer 90 degrees off course from the rear end of an eland, and exit out the top of his back hitting a large tree limb above him. This was not a Woodleigh, but a .500 caliber RN Solid we had in 2006....... Other failures are more related to construction and the RN profile...... We have a photo of a 500 gr 458 Hornady FN that veered off course in an elephant body, hit bone and flattened like a pancake, of course it would not have went off course had the design of the meplat been larger to begin with, so it suffered both nose profile and construction deficiencies...... In this same elephant one of the older 458 caliber RN Hornady Solids took a turn and was found some 3 feet off course..........

Some other related failures......

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=643101959&f=1411043

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5461070481&f=1411043

The idea is to present to you that there is little doubt there is a POTENTIAL for a RN design to fail its intended mission... POTENTIAL does not mean it does it every single time......

I personally want to take to the field a bullet, or rifle, boots, or equipment of any sort that has the "LEAST POTENTIAL" to fail me
in my mission or my endeavors...... I won't go with second best, not knowingly anyway........... Some folks go to the field with pointy STICKS... But that is just not my game........

And when one talks about many of these smaller tuskless elephants and cows some folks like to hunt or shoot, for the most part as far as I know those RN solids work well on those, they are not very large and do not present too much of an issue for the RN Solids..... That bullet only has to go a 1/2 foot or less in many cases to get to the brain on those elephants. The difference between one of these elephants and a big bull elephant is extreme......

Many here have accused me of many things, bullet peddler, having $$ interests, and other little snide remarks over the years...... Elite has not been one, but I don't take that as snide or too hateful anyway........ I embarked on this discovery of properly designed FN Solids because I NEEDED THEM in .500 caliber for the various .500 B&M Cartridges that I hunt with, and now many more...... There was NO OTHER REASON in the beginning, and I had no other goals or agenda in mind..... I still do not have an agenda, I am not in the bullet business, I own a Forestry/ROW Company, I don't have time to be in the bullet business or gun business and do not want to be honestly, there is not enough money in either to make it worth my efforts, and I would starve to death to boot...... I needed these bullets for my own personal use, and nothing more.......

I do enjoy helping fellow shooters/hunters however, and do my best to assist where I can. It is very rewarding to me personally to see you guys be successful in your endeavors, and if I had just a tiny bit to do with that, then even more so...... Some folks can't be helped and that is just dandy too...... And nothing to me...... The Positives here FAR outweighs the Negatives, so much so that the Negative elements are very easily ignored, or just put to the side and are of very little to no consequence. These Negatives will never ever be convinced to go beyond the tradition, nostalgia, Grandpa Syndromes, to attempt to reason with these negatives is equivalent to attempting to deal with Liberals, Anti-Gun or Anti-Hunting types, a complete waste of time...... I do so not for those negatives, but for others that might actually not understand what is really going on........

I get no joy out of short snide remarks that have no real basis, and lord knows I type pretty good, and yes, I do not attempt to make a point or have a discussion with one sentence remarks..... And I realize some folks have a very short attention span, but I do believe in details and doing things the right way.... I don't come up short on keeping my data and other things, I don't come up short in my business, and I don't intend to come up short with you either....... Don't you think you are good enough to get all the facts? While some may not want them, there are far more that do...

This discussion has been going on since I joined AR, and far more heated than anything here in this little thread. Get my goat? Yeah, sometimes, and that is their little enjoyment in life, but I am still here, and believe me when I say, once I leave this keyboard, "THEY" are of absolute Zero Consequence to my endeavors. I present what I see as it is, good or bad, and sometimes some folks just can't bear it. I will "Endeavor to Persevere"

M

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ignorance shown by MJines, JPK and shootaway is staggering, given the length of time they have been on AR.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . the Negative elements are very easily ignored, or just put to the side and are of very little to no consequence.

Reliable feeding is "of very little to no consequence"? The discussion of penetration probably seems a bit irrelevant to the poor fellow standing there with a rifle that failed to properly feed on a follow up shot. But I digress, unlike the occasional story of a round nose bullet that failed, there has never been the similar occasional story of a flat nose bullet that failed to properly feed. Roll Eyes

Mike

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some folks can't be helped and that is just dandy too...... And nothing to me...... The Positives here FAR outweighs the Negatives, so much so that the Negative elements are very easily ignored, or just put to the side and are of very little to no consequence.

In the nicest possible way I could put it, Positive/Negative is referenced to PEOPLE, not pros or cons as you might suggest or infer........ Positive People....... Negative People....... Or just plain assholes if you rather understand that more readily... No reference to yourself of course, just in general terms..........

I apologize, as I know that post is very long and some folks might have trouble getting through it....

quote:
The discussion of penetration probably seems a bit irrelevant to the poor fellow standing there with a rifle that failed to properly feed on a follow up shot. But I digress, unlike the occasional story of a round nose bullet that failed, there has never been the similar occasional story of a flat nose bullet that failed to properly feed.

Absolutely correct on all counts...... Do you have a CWP there in Texas? I am a CWP holder, and I would NEVER put a firearm on my person that would not feed or function, FIRST AND FOREMOST at the front of the line......... Neither would I take a Rifle to the field that would not feed or function either.......

But neither would I go to the field, or the streets with an inferior bullet or load.... I will and have gone to the street, and to the field with the very best possible solution to solving a problem that I might encounter in said street or field........ Not going with the worst inferior solution.

To me, to choose the inferior bullet, over proper mechanics and function is not only the "CHEAP", but also hazardous even with the RN design, or what have you...... Naturally if one looks hard enough you can find a bullet that will not feed, either in a 1911, or bolt gun or perhaps others as well. A well designed, proper designed solid should feed in any "quality" rifle that one would take to the field, with very little effort in MOST cases......... One thing that NorthFork did with their NEW nose profile is go to a 68% meplat, to assist in this endeavor. This is the size meplat that John and I worked with in my M70 rifles in .500 caliber in the beginning some years ago..... The first .500 prototypes had a 72% meplat, which would not feed reliably. We know for a fact from the test work done that a minimum of 65% meplat is required for true terminal stabilization. We also know for a fact, when one goes above 70% meplat, that while dead straight penetration remains true, depth of penetration begins to decrease. Now, other factors do come in play with larger meplat sizes, which hit harder than smaller meplat sizes. The 68% meplat size was chosen as optimum meplat size for stabilization, depth of penetration, and just so happens feeds and functions well in most any quality bolt gun, and if not, very little work is required by a competent gunsmith to make it so. I am quite sure with very little work on a QUALITY rifle, Duane can accomplish this in spades....... I know that Brian Alberts can do this in very short order at SSK....... And I am sure there are many more as well......

If one chooses a cheap ass rifle to begin with..... well, there is little hope for some, and more work required...... The Poor Fellow, as you say, that makes this choice actually has no business in the field anyway, as his choices are poor, and he should be happy that a PH will be there to get his bacon out of the fire when the problem raises its ugly head........ I personally believe that a fellow that intends to spend enough money going on a DG hunt these days (none are cheap) but yet chooses a $500 Rifle, and the cheapest bullet he can purchase based on attempting to feed that $500 rifles has made some poor choices and is in for a hard time, one way or the other, and stands a real chance of putting other people into bad situations......... Why would any reasonable thinking individual support such a decision??????
Roll Eyes

Michael

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Some folks can't be helped and that is just dandy too...... And nothing to me...... The Positives here FAR outweighs the Negatives, so much so that the Negative elements are very easily ignored, or just put to the side and are of very little to no consequence.

In the nicest possible way I could put it, Positive/Negative is referenced to PEOPLE, not pros or cons as you might suggest or infer........ Positive People....... Negative People....... Or just plain assholes if you rather understand that more readily... No reference to yourself of course, just in general terms..........

I apologize, as I know that post is very long and some folks might have trouble getting through it....

Thanks for clearing that up. That was probably about the time I took a break from reading the post to eat breakfast.

Michael, what would you guess, if we looked at the issue from a percentage basis, realizing that round nose solids have been around a lot longer than flat nose solids, which of the two bullets would have the higher percentage failure rate in the field comparing failure/difficulty to penetrate versus failure/difficulty to feed?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Michael, what would you guess, if we looked at the issue from a percentage basis, realizing that round nose solids have been around a lot longer than flat nose solids, which of the two bullets would have the higher percentage failure rate in the field comparing failure/difficulty to penetrate versus failure/difficulty to feed?

I would say almost none for failure/difficulty to feed. I am going to Africa with FN solids in 36 days. You can bet MY life that I will run every one of the cartridges through the magazines of my guns to make sure they feed properly.

Feeding is something we can control.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote