THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP

LOL Big Grin

OK, got it, everything starts with
RATS - 375 and goes up from there tu2 Big Grin

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
Michael

That comment of mine was directed at RIP,
not you. I know you are not in the bullet business,
just providing a superb service to hunters with
your testing.

I enjoy our, sometimes heated, discussions on here tu2 Big Grin

Well, you know me always the great "Diplomat" LOL........... hilbily

375-- barf

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey, and it's not just the 375-- barf either, I have a crap list of calibers!

Every redneck hillbilly in SC has a "7 MM MAg", and they think it is the most powerful piece of work that could be in existence, big enough to take on elephant, buffalo and probably even Dinosaurs!

7mm anything--- barf--Associated with RedNeck Hillbillies!

I grew up with Elmer Keith! I suppose along the way I was indoctrinated a bit. Remember all the old Keith/O'Conner arguments? I grew to absolutely despise anything that started with "270". And I was no O'Conner fan either!

270 anything-- barf

Now the flip side of the O'Conner thing--I know Bradford O'Conner, Jack's son. Brad and I communicate quite a bit, of course now I have toned down my distastes, and even had to purchase one of the recent published works of O'Conner, because of Bradford! Also have been sent some photos of Bradford and his Dad hunting and such! I still would not have or condone a 270 for anything, not even rats, but I keep that to myself when discussing things with Brad!

You see, I can be a decent Diplomat! Almost....................

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Michael,
You're missing out on one of the joys of small calibre hunting without a 270Win. Amazing little calibre. Jack was right, you don't need a 7mmRM when a 270 is tuned up and ready.

Keith and O'Connor. 338's and 270's for small calibre work. Appreciate them both. The only problem with 338 and 270 is that with both of them around one doesn't need a 30. Sort of like with a 338 and 416 around one doesn't need a 375. Smiler
Well, that last comment is worth a nice glass of red wine.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Tanz,

Michael already has a 6.5 WSM in the house so no need for the 270 WSM... Big Grin

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
Tanz,

Michael already has a 6.5 WSM in the house so no need for the 270 WSM... Big Grin

JChrist Jim, did you have to tell the whole world?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 6.5, well next thing you know he will be hunting white tails! sofa

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
A 6.5, well next thing you know he will be hunting white tails! sofa

Damn Jim, you see what you have done now? My reputation is "Ruined" for life!

nilly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael just has those small bores there for the actions to build big bores. He won't hunt whitetails because he would have to clean them.

Posts: 2827 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Michael just has those small bores there for the actions to build big bores. He won't hunt whitetails because he would have to clean them.

Nice! clap That does seem like alot of work for the Dr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you know me always the great "Diplomat" LOL........... hilbily

Michael and Diplomat

North and South Pole Big Grin

Gotta go and shoot my 375H&H with some Woodleigh's !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
505, do you think i can get my 500 MDM rebarreled for a 375 ruger? Big Grin
I was not sure if the bolt face will work, what do you guys think? fishing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get it rebarreled to a 6.5, seems to be the latest flavour of the month Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
Tanz,

JChrist Jim, did you have to tell the whole world?
lol I guess I should have mentioned that its Mama's gun... But then we'd have missed all this fun...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
OK OK OK---I am going to fess up on a few things, just to clear the air once and for all!

Small bores I mess with, sometimes, but not very often, and they bore the hell out of me. Used to, if I wanted to do any small bore work, I had to take at lest 3-4 rifles to the range, one being the small bore, others big bores, shoot a little with the small bore and gather data, shoot the big bores to keep my interest up. I have had some small bores that never got 20 rounds through them before I quit with them because of lack of interest!

223 Remington--obvious reasons, mostly the rifles that come in 223. I do have a couple of new/old bolt guns, M70s with 1:8 twists that I have been playing with from time to time.

223 WSSM--That little 22 inch Ultimate. That little tiny speed demon, can't believe how fast it can run things in that little rifle. What does one do with it--I don't know, I only have one, and that is more than needed, but makes a good test gun for hi velocity 223s.

25 WSSM--Strictly because of the 22 inch Ultimate. 25 is getting big enough to hammer those really big rats one runs across from time to time, and the rifle is so tiny, light and easy to carry. I have only one of these, more than enough.

6.5X55 Swede Win M70---This is Moms rifle! It's mild, she loves it, it's a FeatherWeight Stainless, no big noise, no recoil, nothing about it scares her, and with the right bullets she can put it to work for her.

6.5 WSM--Yes, I have two of these. 6.5 has intrigued me a bit, and since I won't have anything here in between this and .308 it works. First one of these I blew Up! The only rifle I have ever blown! I was on the PHONE--Loading 6.5 WSM Test Loads! Distracted. I forget exactly what H powder I was supposed to be using, but used a heavy dose of H-4198 instead! Not Good! I still have that case, and that action here as a reminder.

Built a 6.5 WSM FeatherWeight after that. I don't shoot small bores well at all, and I have no patience with that tiny barrel heating up. But in 2008 when I took the boys to South Africa for their first plains game hunt I figured that was a good time for them to try it out. I had a 120 gr Barnes TSX loaded to a bit over 3300 fps. They used it on warthogs, impala, hartebeast, bushbuck, and probably some other things. It was hammer and dropped these species in their tracks. I was actually impressed with it's performance! I would have never figured! I took the boys and sit at a water hole and was going to shoot a piggy for myself with it. This was the only rifle we grabbed off the truck. Sitting there not long and damned if here didn't come 5-6 wildebeast! Well, I love to shoot wildebeast, and the closer the biggest bull got, I could not contain myself any longer and busted him when he got to about 15 yards! He did not go 20 yards and piled up stone cold! Again, I was rather impressed with the performance of the cartridge and the bullet!

Did not care for that little light barrel, so I had Brian build a heavier barrel version some time later, and it's the one I have been using to test the Raptors and other bullets.

Skip every caliber up to .308. And I don't care much for this caliber either. I have a couple of 308s, and a couple of 300 Winchesters. They don't see much use other than test guns.

338s! I got lots' of 338s--338 Winchester, 338/06 For Sale, 338 WSM, 338 Ultra. Because of the 9.3 B&M these won't be going out anymore. Too big, too long. But have hunted a good bit with 338 caliber.

.358! Got lot's of 358s. Like 358 better than 338. Had 35 Whelen-gone now, have 358 STAs, and 358 Utlras. Shot a hell of a lot of beasts with 358 STA in the day. Just excellent, again, 9.3 B&M being able to out perform it with the Raptors, and being so much smaller, these 358s will never see the field either.

So there, those are my rat guns. They don't get a lot of attention unless I am testing something these days.

I don't hunt deer and anything of that size I can use the 9.3 to better effect on anything, and the rifle is actually smaller and lighter than even the small bores, and far more effective. I am not much of one to shoot and have to follow a blood trail. I would just as soon put these smaller critters in the dirt right where they stand and be done with it. Following up these sort of things takes time away from doing real things! So not many small bores in my future, not in the field anyway!

M

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
lol yuck Yes I'd forgotten that Mama's was a 6.5x55 - my bad... Anyway, anyone that reads this entire thread will already have identified that you own rifles in these calibers from your test work...

How many has Mercedes moved to her rack for 'rat' shooting?

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
RIP

LOL Big Grin

OK, got it, everything starts with
RATS - 375 and goes up from there tu2 Big Grin

I like that idea. If I had my say it would start from .460 Weatherby with 500gr/2600fps. For those who wouldn't want to comply the minimum load would go to 600gr/2400fps.

Pyzda

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya know Michael, all this talk of rat calibers has got me to thinkin'. Suppose I were to build a double rifle in 375Win, a nice rimmed straight wall case. Would the 230gr Raptor suffice for buff? BOOM

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2972 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK OK OK---I am going to fess up on a few things, just to clear the air once and for all!

Small bores I mess with, sometimes, but not very often, and they bore the hell out of me. Used to, if I wanted to do any small bore work, I had to take at lest 3-4 rifles to the range, one being the small bore, others big bores, shoot a little with the small bore and gather data, shoot the big bores to keep my interest up. I have had some small bores that never got 20 rounds through them before I quit with them because of lack of interest!

223 Remington--obvious reasons, mostly the rifles that come in 223. I do have a couple of new/old bolt guns, M70s with 1:8 twists that I have been playing with from time to time.

223 WSSM--That little 22 inch Ultimate. That little tiny speed demon, can't believe how fast it can run things in that little rifle. What does one do with it--I don't know, I only have one, and that is more than needed, but makes a good test gun for hi velocity 223s.

25 WSSM--Strictly because of the 22 inch Ultimate. 25 is getting big enough to hammer those really big rats one runs across from time to time, and the rifle is so tiny, light and easy to carry. I have only one of these, more than enough.

6.5X55 Swede Win M70---This is Moms rifle! It's mild, she loves it, it's a FeatherWeight Stainless, no big noise, no recoil, nothing about it scares her, and with the right bullets she can put it to work for her.

6.5 WSM--Yes, I have two of these. 6.5 has intrigued me a bit, and since I won't have anything here in between this and .308 it works. First one of these I blew Up! The only rifle I have ever blown! I was on the PHONE--Loading 6.5 WSM Test Loads! Distracted. I forget exactly what H powder I was supposed to be using, but used a heavy dose of H-4198 instead! Not Good! I still have that case, and that action here as a reminder.

Built a 6.5 WSM FeatherWeight after that. I don't shoot small bores well at all, and I have no patience with that tiny barrel heating up. But in 2008 when I took the boys to South Africa for their first plains game hunt I figured that was a good time for them to try it out. I had a 120 gr Barnes TSX loaded to a bit over 3300 fps. They used it on warthogs, impala, hartebeast, bushbuck, and probably some other things. It was hammer and dropped these species in their tracks. I was actually impressed with it's performance! I would have never figured! I took the boys and sit at a water hole and was going to shoot a piggy for myself with it. This was the only rifle we grabbed off the truck. Sitting there not long and damned if here didn't come 5-6 wildebeast! Well, I love to shoot wildebeast, and the closer the biggest bull got, I could not contain myself any longer and busted him when he got to about 15 yards! He did not go 20 yards and piled up stone cold! Again, I was rather impressed with the performance of the cartridge and the bullet!

Did not care for that little light barrel, so I had Brian build a heavier barrel version some time later, and it's the one I have been using to test the Raptors and other bullets.

Skip every caliber up to .308. And I don't care much for this caliber either. I have a couple of 308s, and a couple of 300 Winchesters. They don't see much use other than test guns.

338s! I got lots' of 338s--338 Winchester, 338/06 For Sale, 338 WSM, 338 Ultra. Because of the 9.3 B&M these won't be going out anymore. Too big, too long. But have hunted a good bit with 338 caliber.

.358! Got lot's of 358s. Like 358 better than 338. Had 35 Whelen-gone now, have 358 STAs, and 358 Utlras. Shot a hell of a lot of beasts with 358 STA in the day. Just excellent, again, 9.3 B&M being able to out perform it with the Raptors, and being so much smaller, these 358s will never see the field either.

So there, those are my rat guns. They don't get a lot of attention unless I am testing something these days.

I don't hunt deer and anything of that size I can use the 9.3 to better effect on anything, and the rifle is actually smaller and lighter than even the small bores, and far more effective. I am not much of one to shoot and have to follow a blood trail. I would just as soon put these smaller critters in the dirt right where they stand and be done with it. Following up these sort of things takes time away from doing real things! So not many small bores in my future, not in the field anyway!

M

ZZZZZZzzzzzz Someone wake me up when we get back to the interesting calibers. You know, those that start just over .40"!! faint

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Ya know Michael, all this talk of rat calibers has got me to thinkin. Suppose I were to build a double rifle in 375Win, a nice rimmed straight wall case. Would the 230gr Raptor suffice for buff? BOOM

Andy, you "Thinkin" too much!
rotflmo

Todd
quote:
ZZZZZZzzzzzz Someone wake me up when we get back to the interesting calibers. You know, those that start just over .40"!!

Amen My Brother, Amen!

Count me in!

LOL

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mercedes first one was one of those Pink Crickets 22 lr!

Her next step up is Gun #1 50 B&M Super Short--the guns are about the same size! HEH HEH..........

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
We are awaiting some real bullets to work with. Should start coming in this week. Think everyone is behind schedule right now. I was also running low on some calibers, so had to order some more of those, all total 1500 + bullets on the way at least.

Also received the PTII back this week! So far hook up in the lab looks good. Stand alone computer, nothing but PT II on it. Maybe, just maybe we are back in the pressure trace work? Crossing fingers and toes that it is so! I have some projects I need to check out on that front.

I think it might be possible we will be doing some terminals this week when the bullets arrive. So don't go anywhere!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.....So don't go anywhere!

Smiler Smiler Smiler

Never!!! And if I had to, this thread makes me connect to internet far more often than I would normally do ...- just to tjeck whats going on, whats new etc etc
Might claim its addictive.... Smiler

Ulrik

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

M

Michael,
It is funny that you brought up "rat" calibers. I have always went to a larger than needed calibers for the game that I'am hunting. For decades a 338WM or 350RM were my go to guns, even for whitetails. For elk, moose and bison 375 H&H, 375 Weatherby.

A 9.3 B&M is going to be there replacement.

I think if I was to minimize:
257 Roberts for coyotes, wolves, bobcats, ground hogs
9.3 B&M for everything up to what I would need a 50, 500 B&M
Colt 1911 45 ACP

But I live in the U.S.A., no need to justify what and how many of any gun I own.

Thank You to everyone that's helped keep it that way.

Posts: 423 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mercedes first one was one of those Pink Crickets 22 lr!

Her next step up is Gun #1 50 B&M Super Short--the guns are about the same size! HEH HEH..........
lol Well...with those two rifles she can hunt the world!!!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I am seriously considering using my Ruger #1 in .400/.395 N.E. and CEB bullets for antelope hunting in Colorado this year. shocker
See what you have done to me, Michael? Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Michael...
Yes, my brain farts more than it lays golden eggs but wanted to revisit an idea about a tipped solid. Your work in seeing the benefits of retained velocity in big bores made me think again how a light fast solid can do some good damage. Think of the hollow point ogive tip in a non functioning hollow point brass BBW 13 with a hole too small and too shallow to function as a Non Con but get there quick and fast. Maximum penetration and velocity in a light bullet. Also the hollow point ogive tip in a copper version BBW 13 with a slightly less depth round hole could act as a nice mono metal expanding with the expansion aiding qualities of that tip. Think of it as a higher retained velocity cup point solid. The tipped copper cup point solid could expand at quite a low impact velocity and the added BC could do some good functional expansion distance stretching. Maybe pure soft copper without alloy. A tipped CPS with an estimated 1200-1400 functional expanding impact velocity could be great on a 458 socom or super short.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
PS the tipped cup point solids can be made in the double ended Raptor configuration. Load as a solid or expanding cup point with or without tip without any condor or brass pistol caliber issues. A copper Raptor that expands and retains like so many and wee wee Terry want. Wink

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy
quote:
Think of the hollow point ogive tip in a non functioning hollow point brass BBW 13 with a hole too small and too shallow to function as a Non Con but get there quick and fast

OK, no matter how you cut it, it would not penetrate as deep as a BBW#13 Solid and would not produce as much trauma as a NonCon. It would be in effect a tipped cup point. Tip bullet would have to be seated deep, taking up case capacity. Now we have a shorter nose projection, proven not great for penetration as well. It would not shear, so would not produce as much trauma as a NonCon. Regardless of higher velocity because of these factors, shorter nose projection, cup point limited penetration, then it would be neither fish nor fowl.

quote:
a copper version BBW 13 with a slightly less depth round hole could act as a nice mono metal expanding with the expansion aiding qualities of that tip. Think of it as a higher retained velocity cup point solid

This concept has merit, and is proven effective, by the North Fork Expanding CPS, or CPES as I like to call it. However, for now I will hang with the North Fork CPES we have in .500 and .474 that have proven so effective.

Copper Raptors and big bores--nahhh, I still don't like the Raptors in the big bores much.

Raptors are better from medium down in my opinion.

Speaking of small bores and mediums again;

Continued----

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I stole this from someone this morning, blanked out the names to protect the innocent. LOL......

quote:
As I put the rifle, a loaner .375 H&H with 250 grains Barnes X-bullets on to the sticks the bull turn and faces us. As the bull advances towards us shaking his head back and forth, BLANK tells me to take him in the chest. My shot at 30 yards knocks the bull down but he gets right back up. As the bull staggers, I expect him to fall again, he doesn't. I shoot a second time, breaking his left shoulder. He walks away and I shoot again, behind the left shoulder, about 6" further back than I wanted to. The bull continues to walk away from us, stopping to feed a little. I shake my head not believing how tough these buffalo are.

We move our position and I shoot the buffalo for the fourth time, breaking his right shoulder. He refuses to go down so I put another bullet into his right shoulder. Still on his feet, the bull turn towards us, advances, and falls after a couple of steps. As we move to the side to finish the job, he somehow gets to his feet, trying to get to us. At the sixth shot, he again drops to never get up again. After the seventh and final shot the bull lets out three death bellows as his life ends.

Yeah Boy, I really want a 375 Now!
horse

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
On an expanding copper mono metal with a tip it would be more of a hollow point than a v cup design. Being heavier copper with a shorter hollow point ogive tip that desintegrates and aides expansion it would be a hybrid between the TTSX and cup point expanding solid. I think it would be most ideal in the larger bores in the 2.5 SD range at impact velocities under 2,700 fps. It could be good for lower impact velocities for say muzzle loaders and moderate velocity hog thumping rounds. We are awash in great projectiles these days thanks to innovative bullet companies.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
So where can I get me a 7 shot .375, as they obviously will kill Buffalo. barf

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make a belt fed 375 HH? popcorn hilbily stir

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah Boy, I really want a 375 Now!

Make mine a +0.5 cal please Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
And a light .375 bullet at that! Make me think of the phrase business owners used, paraphrased, its Bullet, Bullet, Bullet, especially in lower end calibers.
Uh, hey RIP, maybe I should go from the .395 up to one of your new wildcats? Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Max

Small hits small! Big hits Big!

M

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
And a light .375 bullet at that! Make me think of the phrase business owners used, paraphrased, its Bullet, Bullet, Bullet, especially in lower end calibers.
Uh, hey RIP, maybe I should go from the .395 up to one of your new wildcats? Wink

Max,
I only wish I had tried the .395 Tatanka on that second cape buffalo in 2010 ...
And if only the PH was willing to work a little harder on that second cape buffalo,
instead of telling me:
"Get ready, he is going to run through that little clearing over there (150 yards away), if you get a shot, take it ..."
I was fool enough to hastily follow instructions ... sigh ...
So many rifles, so little time.
That .395 was using 310-grain brass NonCons from S&H ... sigh ...
Same ones that have killed well for you and me ... everytime we did our part.

Joking aside, so will a .375 with proper bullet at proper speed, in proper place.
They work well on things bigger than rats.
Better than a 9.3!!! Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
oking aside, so will a .375 with proper bullet at proper speed, in proper place.
Better than a 9.3!!!

BS BS BS BS--I call BS on that. Not 2 cents worth of difference between .366 and .375. Neither fit to be Buffalo stompers! Excellent Big Rats, plains game, elk, moose, bear and so forth--Not buffalo! Bullets make a difference for sure and enhance as well, we all know. However, even then, you move up in caliber with the same superior bullet--this is where the big difference starts to show, in "Caliber" for buffalo.

Going to .395 is a vast improvement I would venture, over .375. As I believe so is .416.

And don't always listen to the PH! 150 yards is too far, and out of control for most chances of a second or third shot if things go wrong! As you already know! While I have not shot buffalo at 150 yards, I have listened to the PH at times when I KNEW BETTER, and damn it all, did it anyway, and guess what, it did exactly what I thought it would do, and then we had problems to sort out! Fortunately, we sorted them out, but at some point we must realize there are some things we know better than the PH does! Especially tech stuff.

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Spent the day on the range! Some success, some failure! Failure? F*****G Pressure Trace 2! I give up on PT II. Finally it really did start giving what appears to be an actual trace, but it does not in any way compare or even come close to all the data gathered with PT 1. PT 1 coincided with many many things, and is as close as you can get to getting real live pressure data. PT II--Not so. And, not consistent from load to load off. On some loads in 458 B&M it was as little as 5000 PSI off, on others as much as 18000 PSI off. In the 50 B&M AK it was consistently 12000-15000 PSI off the mark. So Packed the bitch up, threw it on the bottom shelve, end of story, I quit!

Sending PT 1 back to have it rebuilt! Maybe? Hopefully? Direct connections is the key I believe, PT 1 connects direct to the computer. PT II relies completely on Bluetooth flying through the air crap and I think can get corrupted between the unit and computer--I don't trust it anyway, so whatever the issue is, it's crap and has wasted hours and hours and days of my time! Problem is, PT 1 is not even available and PT II has no built in way to use direct hook ups! Back to the drawing board with that! Still out of the PT business!

Did some terminals with the 50 B&M and the 300 gr #13 LG HP and the 335 #13 LG HP. With the Talon Tips, and also with the "Round Nose" tip. Still lot's of data to input and get sorted out before posting.

North Fork! We have 400 gr .500 caliber Premium Bonded Softs that will pitch up here in a few weeks time! This will be a nice addition to our .500 caliber bullets, with the only conventional bullet that I will have here. With these, one does not need others. This gives us a 450 gr and a 400 gr, for use in the various .500 rifles here, including the lever guns.

I also have 200 of those 300 gr .458 caliber Premiums on the way. Soon as they arrive we will do some terminals with those. These are the ones I did not realize North Fork made, I thought the lightest .458 Premium Bonded was the 350 gr. How I missed that I do not know?

That's it for me.

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a proponent of the .375/404 Jeffery Saeed of 2012, I comprehend Real Comedy here: rotflmo

quote:
quote:
Joking aside, so will a .375 with proper bullet at proper speed, in proper place.
Better than a 9.3!!!

BS BS BS BS--I call BS on that. Not 2 cents worth of difference between .366 and .375. Neither fit to be Buffalo stompers! Excellent Big Rats, plains game, elk, moose, bear and so forth--Not buffalo! Bullets make a difference for sure and enhance as well, we all know. However, even then, you move up in caliber with the same superior bullet--this is where the big difference starts to show, in "Caliber" for buffalo.

Going to .395 is a vast improvement I would venture, over .375. As I believe so is .416.

And don't always listen to the PH! 150 yards is too far, and out of control for most chances of a second or third shot if things go wrong! As you already know! While I have not shot buffalo at 150 yards, I have listened to the PH at times when I KNEW BETTER, and damn it all, did it anyway, and guess what, it did exactly what I thought it would do, and then we had problems to sort out! Fortunately, we sorted them out, but at some point we must realize there are some things we know better than the PH does! Especially tech stuff.

M

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote