THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being a proponent of the .375/404 Jeffery Saeed of 2012, I comprehend Real Comedy here: rotflmo

Don't Start with me!!!!!!
LOL

beer

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
You guys remember T Wee Weiland talking about "Petals all stay in the wound channel" Everyone knows that! Then the latest CEB article in Handloader, the author used "Dry" paper to test, and could not see the "Petals" move away from Center?

Well, those two Monkeys need to come here for some "Education". First, aqueous material is the only true way to test bullets. In any aqueous material the blades ALWAYS move away from center on BBW #13s. Always!

Today, one of those blades moved so well away from center, it left the top of the terminal box, hit one of my lights above, busted the hell out of it and made a mess! Don't move away from center, My Ass!

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Dry paper may be ok for relative penetration but not wound cavity and petal dispertion. Glad you can shed some "Light" on the subject Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad I didn't have to dig through all that paper and glass looking for bullets. You better clean that box good!

Posts: 2827 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up
Better remove the target from the election poster or the guys in white suits will come for the man in black. space

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

Picture of Hammell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:

I also have 200 of those 300 gr .458 caliber Premiums on the way. Soon as they arrive we will do some terminals with those. These are the ones I did not realize North Fork made, I thought the lightest .458 Premium Bonded was the 350 gr. How I missed that I do not know?

That's it for me.

Michael

Hi there, new guy here. Love the 250 + pages of bullet testing, thanks for the effort, I've read it over many many times (I need a life eh?) Lots of good info on this site. I too was browsing NF site and saw they list a 300gr FN and wondered if anyone had tested it. I'm sure its quality, I wonder how it would perform at 45/70 velocity. Yes, I'm one of those 45/70 lever guys.... Smiler

Posts: 20 | Location: West Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi there, new guy here. Love the 250 + pages of bullet testing, thanks for the effort, I've read it over many many times (I need a life eh?) Lots of good info on this site. I too was browsing NF site and saw they list a 300gr FN and wondered if anyone had tested it. I'm sure its quality, I wonder how it would perform at 45/70 velocity. Yes, I'm one of those 45/70 lever guys....

Hi Hammell

Big Welcome to the Terminal Bullet Performance Thread! Glad to have you! You read the entire 250+ pages of this??? Whew, makes me tired just to think about it! Then again, the work put into just the 250 pages, beyond the reading...... Whew again! And it continues. I hope you have got something out of it, and as you have seen we have done some pretty good 45/70 work along the way. I think in many ways, have improved the 45/70 a bit with some new bullets as well.

We will soon find out about the 300 North Fork at 45/70 and other velocities as well. No worries! It's coming................

I really need to put together some things on various cartridges, and load them on the B&M site. I have the data, but the time.................

Speaking of 45/70. A month or so ago I told you about the fellow I have been charged with getting a Buffalo Load for in a 45/70 Guide Gun! This fellow finally shot the various ammo I sent to him. He sighted his rifle at 50 yards, as I recommended, and the 400 BBW#13 Solid was center, and of course the two 325 gr loads, BBW#13 Solid and North Fork CPES at higher velocity was about 4 inches higher at 50 yards, as I would expect. Got a note back from the guy stating that his rifle liked the 400 BBW#13s better. He sent targets, and both 325s were high, but 1.5 inch groups for 3 each, both in the same POI! The 400 BBW#13s were same group, about 1.5 inches, but center on target. In his mind he thought the 400s shot better? Well, I am dealing with a green horn from the get go. So I am not even going to try and explain this to him, I am going with the 400 BBW#13 Solids, I know penetration will be there, I know they will hit hard enough to do damage and put the bull in the dirt, but I am going to tell him to not stop shooting! I would have liked to have a little more trauma inflicted with the first shot, but trying to get him there might be an issue, so the 400 BBW#13 Solids it is! He is hunting with Andrew, so I will warn Andrew accordingly and have Andrew take up any slack if he needs to, which Andrew will have his new 500 MDM on the scene, so no doubt, it will handle it!

Sometimes.......... cuckoo

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
TERMINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember the new .500s----300 gr BBW#13 HP LG and the 335 BBW#13 HP LG. Tested in the 500 MDM, but the other day I tested in the 50 B&M to see how they would do in my Camo Alaskan 50 B&M. They both are most certainly big bear medicine! Not quite as much penetration or destruction as the same bullet with the 500 MDM at much higher velocity, but still very good and very deadly.

Remember the Round Nose Tips that Dan did for the poor folks that are too cheap to have a decent Winchester M70????

I tested some of these Round Nose Tips in these same .500 caliber bullets. What I found is there was no issue with shearing, or with going off course, so the Round Nose tips are busting up OK--I think they can be better. What I did make note of is that the blades dispersed away from center faster, and penetration of the blades were less than with a "Talon Tip" in both cases. This would lead me to recommend to CEB that they go ahead and put the Hollow Point in this Round Nose tip as well to break up the RN Tip faster, by first weakening the tip itself, and also I think we are getting some hydraulic action going on inside the HP as well, assisting in breakup even faster, which is needed, and well proven through the Big Bore Talon Tips.

You cannot just add a tip to the equation with ANY BULLET and not expect some different terminal performance. You also CANNOT test that in the field and tell or learn much from it. You need both test methods to get to the jest of the matter. Which of course I have been late testing these RN Tips, this is what Dan sent them for to begin with. Test before going to the field with them.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
What is the nose plus round tip length? That is, how much needs to extend beyond the case mouth?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
What is the nose plus round tip length? That is, how much needs to extend beyond the case mouth?

Depends on the bullet. These are "Lever Gun" designed, and seat deep for bolt magazine bullets, so it's not an issue.

In a .700 nose project bullet, add the RN tip, and they are too long for my Winchesters and B&Ms. I have not looked it it further in other cartridges. Somewhere there was a length of the tip, something like .150 or so???

I run WInchesters, so I have not put a lot of effort into that.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Oh, and Tanz, I have in my hands the new .510 caliber 350 gr BBW#13 HP LG Bullets.

Hopefully today, I will be loading some of these in 510 Wells and also 51 Alaskan.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you can get two chronos on them for a BC reading, too.

--
Just figured out LG-- "not for adding a talon tip"
lever gun flat nose.
At add least a round tip.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Don't shoot them all up before you send me some!

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Michael,

Don't shoot them all up before you send me some!

Sam

I only have 250, how long do you think that will last HERE?????

LOL

News on this front, working up a bit of data. Have the 51 Alaskan 18 inch Marlin to 2100 fps with RL 10X and moving still.

Just fired my first STARTING LOAD with the 510 Wells. 110/H-322 2913 fps, and 104/RL 10X at 2900 fps even. Not bad for a start. 24 inch barrel. Moving UP.

Just FYI. Terminal Tests probably won't be until next week.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I have been piddling around with this new 350 gr .510 caliber BBW#13 LG--The number is

DGBR-HP X09LG

FYI--You .510 boys are going to want these!

51 Alaskan

18 Inch Marlin I am up to 68/RL 10X for 2188 fps and 65/H-4198 for 2134 fps. These are safe and work without issue in my Marlin Guide Gun, if you blow yours up, it's on you! These do not even give a hint of pressure, and I intend to move UP. No Pressure testing equipment is running here right now, so take this and start 10% lower in your rifle!

510 Wells, big stupid looking Ruger, 12 lbs, 24 inch barrel, totally useless for man or beast!

115/H-322 gives me 3007 fps

110/RL 10X gives me 3030 fps.

This is seated deep, using Talon Tip, and works through the magazine.

Just FYI

Probably terminals next week.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
OH--I meant to tell you guys this yesterday, and forgot!

Was visiting with Momma for a few minutes yesterday. She was on about something, and I was not paying as much attention to what she was talking about, as I should have been! Well, things degenerated quickly, and she was a little pissed with me for not paying attention to what she had to say! She asked me this, "So what, if I don't talk about bullets, then you don't want to listen to me?" I am a dumbass, even at 53 years old, I still have not learned the proper reply! I replied, "If you were talking about bullets then it would have been a hell of a lot more interesting to me!" Not the right thing to say!

Jest of the matter is this, she has decided to have a special shirt made for just me. It will say this across the front and back.

"If you can't talk about bullets, then you can't talk to me"

Well, sounds like a pretty good idea to me........................

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen to your wife, she is the marriage counselor that will save you time and money with others.
And wear that shirt proudly ... until she tells you it is time to take it off. animal

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Love the hollow point RN idea!

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, I have laughed until my sides hurt!!!!!

Great idea for a shirt and you better trademark it in a hurry!

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Listen to your wife, she is the marriage counselor that will save you time and money with others.
And wear that shirt proudly ... until she tells you it is time to take it off. animal

Damn good thing you married a tough cookie or you would be suffering alot more than that. Thanks for the laugh, been chuckling all day at that one.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Be aware of the man with only "one" riffel

Posts: 51 | Location: denmark | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
OH--I meant to tell you guys this yesterday, and forgot!

Was visiting with Momma for a few minutes yesterday. She was on about something, and I was not paying as much attention to what she was talking about, as I should have been! Well, things degenerated quickly, and she was a little pissed with me for not paying attention to what she had to say! She asked me this, "So what, if I don't talk about bullets, then you don't want to listen to me?" I am a dumbass, even at 53 years old, I still have not learned the proper reply! I replied, "If you were talking about bullets then it would have been a hell of a lot more interesting to me!" Not the right thing to say!

Jest of the matter is this, she has decided to have a special shirt made for just me. It will say this across the front and back.

"If you can't talk about bullets, then you can't talk to me"

Well, sounds like a pretty good idea to me........................

Michael

The wife says I "hesitate" giving her a answer.

It's probity a direct link to "paying attention"

She was just reading this post and said my T'shirt will read "If you can't talk about guns and hunting, don't talk to me".

Posts: 423 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Coyote

Yep, I would say that is easy in the same category as my issues! Maybe my wife should get some of both styles and quotes done? Probably serve us well in the future! Or worse? LOL......... At least maybe we can use it for an excuse, without having to say a word, just poke our chests out, point to the quote!

I have a couple of boxes getting ready for tomorrow, or Tuesday most likely to do these terminals on this 350 gr BBW#13 .510. I took it up yesterday to almost 3100 fps in the 510 Wells, but think for testing I am dropping down to the 110/RL 10X load. In the 510 Alaskan, the Marlin started talking to me yesterday, and told me it did not care much for that bullet approaching 2200 fps. Very much like the .500 B&M Alaskan with the same bullet in .500 at 335 grs, seems it is going to be at or close to top end at 2150 or so. This is where I will test it at. So a couple of different terminals coming up for the 51 boys!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
350 grains at 3000fps is a nice max. It can be slightly slower if tips are added.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
350 grains at 3000fps is a nice max. It can be slightly slower if tips are added.

Tanz

All these loads are tested and used with tips added in the 510 Wells. All are tipped.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Great.

The Wells, of course, is a great cartridge and can do more than an AccRel. The Wells--an Mbogo with a belt--and good for 8000-8500 ftlbs, should the shooter and rifle be up to it. That's a lot of ka-thump for an impala and will surely keep their sharp horns at bay.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great.

The Wells, of course, is a great cartridge and can do more than an AccRel. The Wells--an Mbogo with a belt--and good for 8000-8500 ftlbs, should the shooter and rifle be up to it. That's a lot of ka-thump for an impala and will surely keep their sharp horns at bay.

12 lbs, 24 inch barrel, beast from hell! Totally useless, with the exception of being a good .510 caliber test gun, which is what it has done its entire life, as it is way too big and stupid to be in the field--I don't mean cartridge, I mean the rifle itself! This is what you get with things like this--just TOO BIG to be useful, and nothing handy or fast about it. In fact, I almost pass out when I have to tote it to the range! LOL
faint

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I got to give you guys something to think about today! I am piddling around on a thread down on the lever guns, I love levers as you all know, but those boys down there they are not much into looking around for better bullets, or new ideas, and some are just plain ignorant. There is this one chap that Boomy and I both tried to explain things to on a 30/30 thread, but he is an ignorant chap and not much one can do. Now he is on a a What Weight Bullet 458 thread that Dave started, which has some pretty savvy boys on, NE450#2 and North Fork to mention, and I joined in as well. I did not recognize this one chap until later, but same one from the 30/30 bullet thread. Here is the jest of it;

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Guys, I wanted to do a little informal survey. I have a Marlinn guide gun in 45-70 that I don't shoot too much anymore as well as a Browning BLR in 450 Marlin. I usually shoot 400-405 grain bullets. That way, I can shoot the cheaper Speers at the range and use a bit better bullet to hunt with if necessary. There are so many fantastic 400 grain hunting bullets from Woodleigh (traditional and Hydros), North Fork, Barnes Busters, CEB #13s solids, etc. However, it occurs to me that I could also shoot the 350 grain Hornady bullets at the range and hunt with a 350 grain North Fork Solid or Cup Point solid.

Thus, I was wondering, in you 45 caliber lever gun, what weight bullet do you prefer?

dla
You don't need a "bit better bullet" to hunt with. Buy and shoot the cheapest 400'ish grain fodder you can find knowing that it will knock a big hole in anything you hunt.

Pretty mushrooms are an advertising gimmick.

The 45-70 does not need a premium bullet. I kill Elk with a 405gr Remington launched at 1800fps from my Guide Gun. It does just fine.

Well, at least have an OK day

quote:
Hi dla,

Don't make us call Michael458. He is our cyber enforcer for those who don't know the value of a well designed bullet.

After testing almost everything out there, there is a huge difference in performance. I also believe that pretty mushrooms are a gimmick as any one can make one even on a poorly constructed bullet. The difference is when they look the same out of an animal (especially a large animal while hitting bone) and the test media. While a .458 hole is large, the real question is straight line penetration especially when large bone is hit. Your 405gr can and will not reliable penetrate to the boiler room of an elk running north from you. Nor will its track through the animal be straight. Well designed bullets will out penetrate the Remington in every schenario.

The real questions are:
1. Can you place a bullet where it needs to go after a days hunting up and down mountaints?
2. Are you willing to except a lost animal due to a known poor performing bullet?

I will not be the first one to tell you how you should spend your money, but knowing that a well designed bullet is the best money spent, it is just one other thing you don't have to worry about.

Regards,
John
North Fork Technologies
www.northforkbullets.com

quote:
quote:
You don't need a "bit better bullet" to hunt with. Buy and shoot the cheapest 400'ish grain fodder you can find knowing that it will knock a big hole in anything you hunt.

Pretty mushrooms are an advertising gimmick.

The 45-70 does not need a premium bullet. I kill Elk with a 405gr Remington launched at 1800fps from my Guide Gun. It does just fine.

I can PROMISE that the above is a very very incorrect statement!

While you might get away with that a time or two, it WILL CATCH UP to you!

In fact, way back in the day before there were decent bullets for 45/70, I used that 405 Remington, 1800 fps, Marlin Guide Gun, on a kudu at 20 yards. On the shoulder! The bullet went all to hell, did NOT PENETRATE the vitals, and had to chase that broken shoulder Kudu all over hell before catching up to him! That bullet FAILED miserably! It DID NOT DO just fine at all! Later, I had the same 405 Remington bullet in a 45/70 1886, 26 inch barrel, well over 1900 fps. It went all to HELL on a bear at 20 yards! Busted into several pieces, which I did recover. I solved the issue with a few more, but the fact of the matter is, this bullet failed again.

In all the test work, 4 of 5 would fail at this velocity. The max you can start this bullet at the muzzle is 1550-1600 fps, and let Impact Velocity drop and it holds together most of the time.

No Need for Premium Bullets in a 45/70?? Jesus Christ Man! You are in the Dark Ages! In the late 1990s and early part of the last decade I would have given anything to have had the bullets we have today for 45/70. I shot cape buffalo, giraffe, wildebeast, and all manner of critters in that time frame with 45/70, and believe me it came up short each and every time with the sorry ass bullets that were available 10-15 yrs ago! It was not until we started getting these premium bullets designed for the 45/70 that it was even a viable option to use in the hunting fields. It still comes up short when compared to real DGR, but it has improved 2 fold with the bullets now available.

How do you enhance any cartridge? By the bullet chosen! We are blessed today when it comes to 45/70 with real and proper bullets that will enhance the cartridge. If you choose to not take advantage of that, then so be it. At some point that will come back to bite you in the ass! It might be literally as well, depending on what your game is!

Michael

quote:
N E 450 No2
one of us
Posted Sep 15, 2012 4:30 PM Hide Post
The 405gr Remington bullet.

I have never shot anything with this bullet, but in doing some research for my 458 SOCOM I learned the following from others who have used this bullet in the SOCOM.

They expand on pigs to a large diameter, and usually shed their jacket. They are giving good penetration at SOCOM impact velocities, which are around 1400 to 1500fps or so.

Which is right inline with michael458's data.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

quote:
dla
one of us
Posted Sep 16, 2012 1:36 AM Hide Post
Well I guess I would expect a moderate load of BS from the bullet farmers. After all, you can't make money if I enlighten the newbies that they don't need to spend $2/bullet for the 45-70.

I know nothing about Kudu. I do know Elk. And I know that Elk die nicely when hit with the lowly Remington 405gr JSP.

You are right about the impact velocity and I have taken a bull at 15 paces where the Remington expanded to nearly 1", shed its jackets about 12" in, broke the spine and buried itself in the grass bag. One very dead Elk and one huge 30" wound track (head on shot). But I never planned on taking many Elk at that distance - between 80 and 120yds is normal.

Spend more if you want, after all this is America. But I've always maintained that it is much more important to learn how to shoot, and you've got to put the rounds in for that to happen. The 45-70 is one of those cartridges that can be very reasonable to shoot a lot.

Well, at least have an OK day

quote:
michael458
one of us

Posted Sep 16, 2012 5:51 AM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla:
Well I guess I would expect a moderate load of BS from the bullet farmers. After all, you can't make money if I enlighten the newbies that they don't need to spend $2/bullet for the 45-70.

Dla, it seems your ignorance knows no boundaries. To help enlighten you a bit, I am not in the bullet business, nor the rifle business. My business is not related to firearms or bullets at all. In fact, I am a forester by profession, shooter and hunter like many here. I use only proper designed bullets for my expeditions, because I want to do everything I can to be successful in the field. And choosing the right bullet for the mission at hand is at the very TOP OF THE LIST, and in the end, the cheapest of all options one can do to get prepared, or be prepared for contingencies that occur in the field that no one has control of. Only an idiot would do otherwise.

Michael

I swear, some ignorant chaps running around in the world!
rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Totally useless, with the exception of being a good .510 caliber test gun, which is what it has done its entire life, as it is way too big and stupid to be in the field--I don't mean cartridge, I mean the rifle itself! This is what you get with things like this--just TOO BIG to be useful, and nothing handy or fast about it.

Exactly. We want you to fire these rounds off in a 9lb rifle. 350 gn. at 3000fps is brisk. It kind-of wakes one up. It's handy.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly. We want you to fire these rounds off in a 9lb rifle. 350 gn. at 3000fps is brisk. It kind-of wakes one up. It's handy.

8-8.5 lbs would be better, 20 inches max barrel, would be more handy! Keep you awake, and keep the snot blown out of your nose as well! LOL........ I think it also helps keeping this stint I have in my heart cleaned out and from clogging up!
animal

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I swear, some ignorant chaps running around in the world!

Michael, to save you time and keep a lowwer BP, please use the "IGNORE" buttom. Some people are just hopeless when it comes to learning anything new.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting here at my computer and listening to some nearby shooting ,getting ready for hunting season.

A few bangs from handguns , mostly booms from rifles , then one big BOOOMM .Some how I immediately thought of Michael & Friends with their 600NE doubles ! BOOM

Do I need some professional help ? Confused

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Some people don't take pride in the best but take pride in how cheap they can be. With the price of components on the rise if I wanted to be cheap I would use a good cast bullet over a soft lead jacketed bullet. Some cast a soft nose with a hard base but that takes some talent and would leave that to the experts.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think it will take another 5 years for the average PBR guy to consider this new technology. In 20 years maybe Michael will be considered the Elmer Keith of our day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I think it will take another 5 years for the average PBR guy to consider this new technology. In 20 years maybe Michael will be considered the Elmer Keith of our day.

Good one. tu2
Image of Doc M in a big Stetson hat and smoking a cigar as he rolls about in a heap of bullets ... wearing tee shirt wife had made for him ... rotflmo

Bullet related,
I now believe in the CEB ESP Raptor (soft and solid) system all inclusively.

I will use it with tip as a ballistic softpoint/expanding bullet: Improves velocity and maybe even accuracy, sure does not hurt.

I will also now use it as a solid, reversed with hollow base filled with extra powder.
No problems with uniformity of load if you add some extra powder to fill the hollow base.
I was slow to catch on to this.

Tried a few loads in a 19.5"-barreled .458 B&M.
2.5X scope at 50 yards.
My eyes are not what they used to be, for groups.
Or my rifle likes heavier bullets. Wink
Uniformity of velocity with the hollow base was what was important to me today.

When reversed and used as a solid, the ESP needs more powder. tu2
Tweeking loads could get POI closer, I am sure.
I am just reassured.
I once lived in Missouri, so I had to "Show me."

Bullets: Ignore the whaling harpoons for now.

Cartridges: Trimmed brass to 2.240" and seated tipped bullet (3.015" COL) to just fit the magazine of the Short Action Winchester M70 reworked by SSK.

Target: Another busy one.
2.5X Leupold scope setting was same for all three loads at 50 yards.
71 degrees F, 9-16-2012:

Rifle: 19.5" is as short as I go on barrel, and it is a 1:10" twist that will help with whaling harpoons when I get around to it.
I think as the bullets get heavier and longer my rifle is more accurate.
But it does OK with any weight bullet. Cool

BTW,
70 grains Of H4198 is where Doc M started with
the 295-grain flatbase, HP brass NonCon, which is a much shorter bullet (295#13 HP),
and allows more powder space.
20-inch-barrelled .458 B&M M70:
70gr >>> 2592 fps ... 49,468 psi
74gr >>> 2715 fps ... 56,919 psi
76gr >>> 2765 fps ... 59,932 psi
78gr >>> 2811 fps ... 62,380 psi

So, my 70gr velocity with the 300-grain reversed ESP/hollowbase FN solid @ 2578 fps
is not far off from his data,
especially when you consider my barrel has a faster twist, slightly longer parallel-sided free-bore (custom touch by Brian Alberts, SSK Gunsmith),
and is 1/2" shorter than the 20" barrel used for the MIB data above.

I have a shorter barrel!!! dancing

Correction: 19.75" barrel, 1/4" shorter than MIB 20" data barrel.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Great info tu2
The 300 grain 458 Raptor projectile in that B&M should be good for all large thin skin game out to 300 yards. Could be great for so many platforms and velocities.

one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,
Thanks for the comments, including the one about Elmer Keith of MIB. rotflmo

As Elmer says:
"With the lightweight CEB ESP Raptors, that .458 B&M delivers more whomp than a sissy .375 H&H, and with less recoil, and in a shorter and lighter, "handier" package.
With the heavier CEB and North Fork bullets it will equal the .458 WinMag, yep, in a handier package again.
You horny handed sons of toil will appreciate that when toiling about on safari."

BTW, final zero could have the 308.4-grain (average, +/- 0.1 grain) Wink
Talon-tipped ESP Raptor hitting 1" high at 50 yards,
then the 300.1-grain (+/- 0.1 grain) Wink hollow-based FN solid ESP, at ~ 100 fps greater velocity,
would be dead on at 50 yards,
in my rifle, with loads shown, if I did not cant the rifle. Wink

Of course, finer tuning of velocities and POIs is possible.

Lessee, what was the BC for this little jewel of a bullet ... to generate some longer range trajectory ... coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

What brand of stock is on your rifle? I don't think I've seen that before

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the Winchester factory Shadow stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELeeton:
RIP,
What brand of stock is on your rifle? I don't think I've seen that before

ELeeton,

That is an "Ultimate Shadow" stock from CDN, on rec. of Doc M. Cheap and good! tu2
Replaced the original tupperware stock with that.
Went with the black instead of the redneck camo. hilbily

I lied about my barrel length above.
It is actually closer to 19.75", but it is still shorter than 20". Big Grin

The rifle is capable of better accuracy with heavier bullets.
I have shown this busy target here before: Might have been a 5X Leupold scope here instead of only 2.5X used with 300-grainer. Wink

Here are some 450-grain bullets that the real Elmer Keith would prefer:

Reminder on .458 B&M brass length.

Doc M changed it to 2.240", I do believe.
It was originally 2.295" max brass length, as shown in the ammoguide.com drawing.

Since the QualCart .458 B&M brass came as 2.235" long,
I just keep any brass made from 300 RUM trimmed to between 2.235" and 2.240" to play it safe.

So officially, is that max brass length 2.250" with trim-to-length of 2.240"?
Or should we consider max brass to be 2.240"?

Sumbuddy who know?