THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
J

Well all I got to say about that is "Colin's got some big Balls"
animal

Here's one of Colin's Balls courtesey of BigDoggy ...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Some of the reasons round balls would interesting is that if the depth of penetration at old school velocities and high velocities with non deforming brass or copper. A round ball is pretty much an expanded mushroomed soft. A 12 gauge ball could resemble the expanded 458 at the same velocity and weight. Will the non deforming balls path in the test medium go straight? Tumbling a non issue.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:

Peter

Nice Photo of the cartridges and Balls! That looks interesting. The lead balls, how fast do you run them? Soft lead? Hardened? I am sure that can be duplicated with smokeless?

M

michael

the round balls are usually run somewhere between 12-1350 fps depending on application and load.
the fosbury slug besides it is run at 1000-1050 fps in the shot and ball guns.
the load in the picture is my smokeless dublicate load for a 3,5 drams BP consisting of 38,5 grains of norma's N200.

macifej

i saw that tread is he is quite a craftsman, but i must admit that both him and ed must be buildt more sturdy than me as my personal recoil border lies around the 8 and 4 bores Smiler

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Some of the reasons round balls would interesting is that if the depth of penetration at old school velocities and high velocities with non deforming brass or copper. A round ball is pretty much an expanded mushroomed soft. A 12 gauge ball could resemble the expanded 458 at the same velocity and weight. Will the non deforming balls path in the test medium go straight? Tumbling a non issue.

Boom

only test i did with the RB or slugs were in drenched hay bales and they went from around 3 feet for the slugs and 3-5 for a RB. plenty good for me Smiler

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
macifej

i saw that tread is he is quite a craftsman, but i must admit that both him and ed must be buildt more sturdy than me as my personal recoil border lies around the 8 and 4 bores

best

peter

No accident I'm making the components and NOT shooting them ...

tu2

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The roundball used in the Brown Bess musket weighs about 575 grains in Lyman No.2 alloy of 15 BHN, and measures .735".
Could be loaded in a 12GaFH 3.85" to over 2000 fps as child's play.
A 2-ball load at 2000 fps would be more reasonable. Wink

What sort of lead alloy did the old elephant and buffalo hunters use in their 4, 8, 10, and 12 bores?

Yes, non-deforming brass balls would be guaranteed straight-liners.

How fast could you go with how hard a lead alloy, before pancaking the ball?
That is the multivariate question ...

JackPhantomHuckleberryHoundDog, RIP

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
The bulls' larger heads and generally harder and tougher bone in their heads, even the honey comb bone, is where the RN shines and provides more reliable performance than the malliable FN's.

Moreover, the vast, vast majority of elephants killed by professional ivory hunters or sport hunters since the advent of smokeless powder have been bull elephants, and the vast majority of those have been killed by RN solids. Facts, 100% contradictory to you assertions.

JPK
Two fairly ridiculous statements. I’ll address the second statement first.

Regarding your second statement, perhaps you need to just lay this statement to rest. Properly designed FN monometal bullets have only been readily available to the hunting world for approximately the past ten years while RN C&C FMJ solids have been readily available for at least 120 years. And yes I’m aware that the early variants performed very poorly but then so did the RN C&C FMJ during their early years of introduction.

Then throw in the fact that elephant hunting during the past ten years has been subjected to closely monitored annual limits compared to unlimited annual limits enjoyed by professional ivory hunting during the first 30+ years of the smokeless powder/RN C&C FMJ bullet era. Now throw in the many thousands of elephant killed in government sponsored culling hunts during the middle of the 20th century and this statement becomes even more of a ridiculous of a comparison.

Here’s the question that you must answer before your second statement could have any validity, “just how many future years of elephant would be required…solely utilizing modern properly designed FN monometal solid bullets by all shooters of elephant…for a numerical comparison to be valid?” Would it be 100 years? 200 years? 300 years?

Now to your first statement.

This statement is your perception; to date I’ve read no scientific proof to support your perception. Proof would be full-path dissected elephant tracking the paths of your beloved RN FMJ solid bullets vis-à-vis properly designed malleable and non-malleable FN monometal bullets. Photographs of all work presented as well as the condition of the recovered bullets. I do not believe any such tests have been scientifically performed and today it would be very expensive endeavor to undertake.

Perhaps this is endeavor that you should conduct. You could spend the next five years say killing 5 elephant per year, 15 in total annually all of approximately same size, for each bullet type. That would be 5 elephant killed with Woodleigh RN FMJ solids, 5 elephant killed with malleable FN solids (of proper meplat size), and 5 elephant killed with non-malleable FN solids (of proper meplat size). Full dissecting of the elephants with full photographs would be required and would give all of us the results benefits of 25 very closely sized elephant killed by the three specific bullet types, all results closely recorded and photographed.

As a side note you could perhaps publish a book stating the results in an effort to recover some of your costs.

Anyway, that my 2¢. Have a nice day.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The idea that Cup & Core bullets whether RN or FN are in any way comparable to FN monometal solids is utterly laughable. Hunting elephant with them is the equivalent of entering a Model T in a Formula One race. The only reason to use them other than they're cheap is nostalgia. Then there's the ignorance (or ignoramus) factor. Here's what happens when you shoot a semi-hard target with a RN C&C bullet and a Monometal FN. Same velocity, same load, same gun, same target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
The idea that Cup & Core bullets whether RN or FN are in any way comparable to FN monometal solids is utterly laughable. Hunting elephant with them is the equivalent of entering a Model T in a Formula One race. The only reason to use them other than they're cheap is nostalgia. Then there's the ignorance (or ignoramus) factor. Here's what happens when you shoot a semi-hard target with a RN C&C bullet and a Monometal FN. Same velocity, same load, same gun, same target.

Ghee! Exactly how many elephant have you shot with either type?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hilarious. "Dude" - you'll have to do better than that if you propose to gain some credibility here. Clue - you and JPK are the laughing stock at this point. I'll make you the same offer I've made to every other stooge wannabe engineer who posts mountains of horseshit on AR. You design the test and I'll provide the bullets.

popcorn

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does empirical evidence bow to anecdotal evidence?

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Apparently yes - Billy-Bob logic ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Take the elephants that 465H&H and I have shot, or for that matter that either of us have shot, and it isn't ancedotal evidence. Between us, there have been several hundered bullets fired into elephants. Many, also several hundred, recovered. RN steel jacketed solids, FN steel jacketed solids and FN copper solids.

How many times did you need to watch the sun rise in the east before you realized that the sun rises in the east?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone is saying RN bullets wont kill an elephant but to ensure straight line penetration does anyone think a RN is better?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yes, both JPK and 465H&H.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once some people became very upset and angry when someone told them that the earth was not flat but round. It took them quite a while to realize the facts...
Same story..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I let you answer you

quote:
465H&H,

FYI, about 50% of my Woodleighs exit on broadside shots on cow elephants. 100% of the NF's. On bulls, the Woodleighs don't exit, and the NF's exit most of the time.

The beautiful thing here is that I do not have to select just one bullet, I can select two, and use the one most suitable for the circumstances. A useful feature of double rifles.

JPK

Take the elephants that 465H&H and I have shot, or for that matter that either of us have shot, and it isn't ancedotal evidence. Between us, there have been several hundered bullets fired into elephants. Many, also several hundred, recovered. RN steel jacketed solids, FN steel jacketed solids and FN copper solids.

How many times did you need to watch the sun rise in the east before you realized that the sun rises in the east?

JPK

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:

465H&H

quote:
JPK Take the elephants that 465H&H and I have shot, or for that matter that either of us have shot, and it isn't ancedotal evidence. Between us, there have been several hundered bullets fired into elephants. Many, also several hundred, recovered. RN steel jacketed solids, FN steel jacketed solids and FN copper solids.

OK, 465HH and his "lapdog"

To begin with this is my thread, I started it. The title of the thread is "Terminal Bullet Performance". If covers a lot of material. It is not an "I shot more elephants than you Thread"! If you want a "I shot More Elephants Than You" thread, take it up to the African Forum that is full of useless threads like that, and plenty of people that can be in "Awe" of both of you.

465HH
quote:

What? I thought you had a little more class than that to be frank. Again, this is a shooting forum, not "I shot More Elephants than you" forum or thread. If you want to know the honest to god truth, I will let you in on something. Most of the guys here, don't give a flying F%&K about how many elephants anyone has shot. The number of elephants you have shot means nothing here, no one cares, it buys you not one thing. It does not buy you respect, it does not give credibility, and it makes you no expert on anything. To say what you said, is cheap and to be honest rather common if you want to know. Common, just pure Common!

The difference here is compared to going to the SCI Show in Reno, to going to the Shot Show. That's how I look at it, and I think is a good analogy. Have either you or your lapdog been to either? If so, then you will understand, or should.

I am sure this is quite a revelation for you and I am sure you are not quite used to this, but while this thread encompasses many many aspects of bullets, elephant shooting is a very minor part of and of little consequence. I am growing quite tired of this useless going on for two years that I have been here. I am going to tell you something that very well may hurt some feelings. You don't have the experience you need to talk "down" to anyone on this thread, and you will never in the rest of your life have enough experience to "Speak Down to Me".

Do not think for a second that I miss as much as I may let pass! But this is enough!

As for your "Lapdog" JPK, he is little more than the village "idiot" and requires no more words spent on him than that.

Yes, we test elephant shooting bullets, buffalo shooting bullets, solids, expanding, Non Conventional, and if someone wanted me to I would test some varmint bullets for them. Do you think anyone would challenge someone else on just how many prairie dogs they have shot? Some arguments or discussions are relevant and do have meaning, we have discussed some of these matters, but this is truly absurd after two years of it, bordering on comical at this point.

Whatever in this world gives you and the "lapdog" the right to say such, and how is it that by shooting elephants that possibly means anything? I have shot elephants, not near as many as you two of course, only being 6 to this point, but who cares? I don't care? I rather shoot buffalo if you want to know the truth of the matter, I think they present much more fun than elephant. But guess what, that's just my opinion, and it's not an argument. I like hunting lions too, I have shot 3 lions. So what? Who Cares? I don't. I like shooting lions too, I think they are about 10 times more dangerous than elephant! But guess again, so what, Who Cares? This is not a thread about shooting lions or elephants or buffalos, it's about bullets and how bullet perform on a range of different things and mostly being compared between themselves and including animals, including elephant, but not compromised 100% of elephant shooting.

And the entire stupid argument is over test medium and Woodleigh FMJ bullets! How ludicrous does that sound?

You nor the "lapdog" jpk can find anywhere here where anyone says the round nose bullets don't kill elephant. I have explained my position several times. And this stupidity and senseless argument continues and it's all from your side of the pond, instigated by your "lapdog" and you fall right in line. There is no point to argue on this matter, even the both of you state that a flat nose solid penetrates deeper. Oh yes, you have posted it, and your idiot "lapdog" posts it regular.

You know something, I have already wasted more time in this post than it was worth.

Good Day to you!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Dang! shocker

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

465H&H

quote:
JPK Take the elephants that 465H&H and I have shot, or for that matter that either of us have shot, and it isn't ancedotal evidence. Between us, there have been several hundered bullets fired into elephants. Many, also several hundred, recovered. RN steel jacketed solids, FN steel jacketed solids and FN copper solids.

To begin with this is my thread, I started it. The title of the thread is "Terminal Bullet Performance". If covers a lot of material. It is not an "I shot more elephants than you Thread"! If you want a "I shot More Elephants Than You" thread, take it up to the African Forum that is full of useless threads like that, and plenty of people that can be in "Awe" of both of you.

465HH
quote:

What? I thought you had a little more class than that to be frank. Again, this is a shooting forum, not "I shot More Elephants than you" forum or thread. If you want to know the honest to god truth, I will let you in on something. Most of the guys here, don't give a flying F%&K about how many elephants anyone has shot. The number of elephants you have shot means nothing here, no one cares, it buys you not one thing. It does not buy you respect, it does not give credibility, and it makes you no expert on anything. To say what you said, is cheap and to be honest rather common if you want to know. Common, just pure Common!

The difference here is compared to going to the SCI Show in Reno, to going to the Shot Show. That's how I look at it, and I think is a good analogy. Have either you or your lapdog been to either? If so, then you will understand, or should.

I am sure this is quite a revelation for you and I am sure you are not quite used to this, but while this thread encompasses many many aspects of bullets, elephant shooting is a very minor part of and of little consequence. I am growing quite tired of this useless going on for two years that I have been here. I am going to tell you something that very well may hurt some feelings. You don't have the experience you need to talk "down" to anyone on this thread, and you will never in the rest of your life have enough experience to "Speak Down to Me".

Do not think for a second that I miss as much as I may let pass! But this is enough!

As for your "Lapdog" JPK, he is little more than the village "idiot" and requires no more words spent on him than that.

Yes, we test elephant shooting bullets, buffalo shooting bullets, solids, expanding, Non Conventional, and if someone wanted me to I would test some varmint bullets for them. Do you think anyone would challenge someone else on just how many prairie dogs they have shot? Some arguments or discussions are relevant and do have meaning, we have discussed some of these matters, but this is truly absurd after two years of it, bordering on comical at this point.

Whatever in this world gives you and the "lapdog" the right to say such, and how is it that by shooting elephants that possibly means anything? I have shot elephants, not near as many as you two of course, only being 6 to this point, but who cares? I don't care? I rather shoot buffalo if you want to know the truth of the matter, I think they present much more fun than elephant. But guess what, that's just my opinion, and it's not an argument. I like hunting lions too, I have shot 3 lions. So what? Who Cares? I don't. I like shooting lions too, I think they are about 10 times more dangerous than elephant! But guess again, so what, Who Cares? This is not a thread about shooting lions or elephants or buffalos, it's about bullets and how bullet perform on a range of different things and mostly being compared between themselves and including animals, including elephant, but not compromised 100% of elephant shooting.

And the entire stupid argument is over test medium and Woodleigh FMJ bullets! How ludicrous does that sound?

You nor the "lapdog" jpk can find anywhere here where anyone says the round nose bullets don't kill elephant. I have explained my position several times. And this stupidity and senseless argument continues and it's all from your side of the pond, instigated by your "lapdog" and you fall right in line. There is no point to argue on this matter, even the both of you state that a flat nose solid penetrates deeper. Oh yes, you have posted it, and your idiot "lapdog" posts it regular.

You know something, I have already wasted more time in this post than it was worth.

Good Day to you!

Michael

Michael, I am not sure you are being fair here. I understand that this thread is about terminal bullet performance but the point is to extrapolate from tests to the field. Shouldn't field experience with actual animals be equally is relevant?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
quote:
The bulls' larger heads and generally harder and tougher bone in their heads, even the honey comb bone, is where the RN shines and provides more reliable performance than the malliable FN's.

Moreover, the vast, vast majority of elephants killed by professional ivory hunters or sport hunters since the advent of smokeless powder have been bull elephants, and the vast majority of those have been killed by RN solids. Facts, 100% contradictory to you assertions.

JPK
Two fairly ridiculous statements. I’ll address the second statement first.

Regarding your second statement, perhaps you need to just lay this statement to rest. Properly designed FN monometal bullets have only been readily available to the hunting world for approximately the past ten years while RN C&C FMJ solids have been readily available for at least 120 years. And yes I’m aware that the early variants performed very poorly but then so did the RN C&C FMJ during their early years of introduction.

Then throw in the fact that elephant hunting during the past ten years has been subjected to closely monitored annual limits compared to unlimited annual limits enjoyed by professional ivory hunting during the first 30+ years of the smokeless powder/RN C&C FMJ bullet era. Now throw in the many thousands of elephant killed in government sponsored culling hunts during the middle of the 20th century and this statement becomes even more of a ridiculous of a comparison.

Here’s the question that you must answer before your second statement could have any validity, “just how many future years of elephant would be required…solely utilizing modern properly designed FN monometal solid bullets by all shooters of elephant…for a numerical comparison to be valid?” Would it be 100 years? 200 years? 300 years?

Now to your first statement.

This statement is your perception; to date I’ve read no scientific proof to support your perception. Proof would be full-path dissected elephant tracking the paths of your beloved RN FMJ solid bullets vis-à-vis properly designed malleable and non-malleable FN monometal bullets. Photographs of all work presented as well as the condition of the recovered bullets. I do not believe any such tests have been scientifically performed and today it would be very expensive endeavor to undertake.

Perhaps this is endeavor that you should conduct. You could spend the next five years say killing 5 elephant per year, 15 in total annually all of approximately same size, for each bullet type. That would be 5 elephant killed with Woodleigh RN FMJ solids, 5 elephant killed with malleable FN solids (of proper meplat size), and 5 elephant killed with non-malleable FN solids (of proper meplat size). Full dissecting of the elephants with full photographs would be required and would give all of us the results benefits of 25 very closely sized elephant killed by the three specific bullet types, all results closely recorded and photographed.

As a side note you could perhaps publish a book stating the results in an effort to recover some of your costs.

Anyway, that my 2¢. Have a nice day.

The successful history of RN solids, and the FACT that hey have been used to kill more elephants than FN is recited in response to this quote from Michael458, which is in obvious error (editted to make it briefer):

"Another point to consider is that a good portion of the elephants being shot successfully with the RN crowd are smallish tuskless elephants that certainly present little challenge for any sort of bullet. I know, ...they are quite small compared to a full size large bull, which I have also shot two large big bodied bulls. There is a big difference in the two."

His assertion that RN's have been used to shoot small cows rather than those as well as the full range through huge bulls is clearly erroneous.

Regarding your nrxt passage, first off, I am not writing a peer reviewed article in a scientific journal, I am merely arguing with and attempting to inform those with vastly less experience, and those who time and again draw invalid conclusions from irrelevant "tests," shooting bullets into wet paper and other ad hoc media, which cannot repeat nor predict bullet performance in real game, especially elephants.

But, in any event, you are wrong on the full wound channel disections, some with photos, some with photos of recovered bullets. I have done this with both Woodleigh steel jacketed solids and North Fork copper FN solids. I have cut open elephant heads to track the wound channel, tracked them through the neck, through the thorax, into the guts, through the shoulder, the lungs, the heart, elsewhere. It is expensive; it is a lot of work, for the hunter and the help too. Plus it eats that safari time, compounding the problem, and safari time is hard to come by.

In addition, a friend, Dan McCarthy, the former member 500Grains, has also done this. He has published several articles on his results, which differ little from mine, though my results show greater penetration advantage for FN's. Dan has also done work on twist rate and penetration in game, coming to the early conclusion that faster twist equals greater penetration.

465H&H has done some bullet tracking and wound disection, but I am not sure of the extent. I do know that he has more experience with elephants than I do.

Elephant come in every different size. But, amoungst mature, twenty-something or older, elephants there appears only one factor which has material influence on bullet performance, and that is the sex of the elephant. Even then the differences appear limited largely to the head, so far as I am concerned. The differences is leg, hip, shoulder... bones, etc, are not really material to the issue, since one doesn't shoot a leg, etc... to kill an elephant. Yes, to stop it, but penetration of the bone is not required, only that the bone be broken or damged enough that the elephant can not walk. And an elephant cannot walk on three legs.

I am sure that I have fired over one hundred solids into elephants, including a handfull of hard cast lead bullets at 45/70 velocities for an interested fellow. I tracked those shot into my first ten elephants and there after, from additional elephants as time permitted. So, when I write that the NF FN's are eminently suited brain shots on cow elephants, but are not so reliable as Woodleigh RN's on bull elephant, I am not guessing. I am reporting on verified field results.

You can find reports reflecting a small portion of Dan McCarthy's work in African Hunter Magazine. You can find a smaller portion of mine reflected in posts I made in Hunting Reports.

Significantly, the results which I report are results from a significant number bullets from a significant numner of elephants. No second hand rumor, no arm chair pontificating, no irrelevant manure from irrelevant media.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael, I am not sure you are being fair here. I understand that this thread is about terminal bullet performance but the point is to extrapolate from tests to the field. Shouldn't field experience with actual animals be equally is relevant?

RN bullets kill elephants.
Nobody says they don't.
This thread is to discuss the performance of bullets. If one penetrates better and straighter why would one take it so personal. Kill elephants with whatever you want. If I ever shoot an elephant I will chose the best. Information I have read here makes the decision easy. A closed mind will never grow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think anyone is saying RN bullets wont kill an elephant but to ensure straight line penetration does anyone think a RN is better?

No for body shots in muscle, yes in elephant heads through bone.

FN's provide more penetration in muscle and other soft tissue. Not neccesarily straighter, but deeper. RN's provide more reliable penetration through heavier bone, and since the side or frontal brain shot may include heavier bone, they are more relibale in elephant heads.

JPK

Free 500grains

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Nobody says they don't.
This thread is to discuss the performance of bullets. If one penetrates better and straighter why would one take it so personal. Kill elephants with whatever you want. If I ever shoot an elephant I will chose the best. Information I have read here makes the decision easy. A closed mind will never grow.

+ 1 Boomy!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

Michael, I am not sure you are being fair here. I understand that this thread is about terminal bullet performance but the point is to extrapolate from tests to the field. Shouldn't field experience with actual animals be equally is relevant?[/QUOTE]

Dave

In no small way do you have a good point, you do in fact. However, there is some history here concerning this matter and while field experience is important, it is only valid with a valid tester. Anything else is irrelevant. See Capowards post, that would be some credibility entered into the equation.

In addition, to that the argument concerns only one matter and has for two years or more. Woodleigh RN. I can and have explained the phenomena more than once, more than 50 times if I have once, but to have understanding, one has to either be capable of understanding, or have a desire to understand, and that is the true issue here.

Both of these individuals freely admit that on elephants that flat nose solids they have used penetrate deep and straight, more so than any of the Woodleigh FMJ on elephant and buffalo. But have an argument somewhere with me, for some reason and wish to carry on uselessly.

So yes, field experience is absolutely needed to make good judgements. However, it is no more important than doing test work in test medium before hand. One absolutely must have both components of experience, lab and the field, to make any sort of reasonable conclusions one without the other is useless data! I have been very fortunate to be able to do both. And will continue to do so, because I believe strongly in going to the field with the most successful bullet possible in which to add to my potential success in the field.

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael458,

Having a nice hissy fit, eh? Didn't know you owned AR, or at least this thread.

Can't tolerate it when anyone disagrees with you or points out that your so called "tests" just don't reflect reality, real solid bullet performance on real elephants - or other game for that matter - or when someone cites actual, real world, real game experience, eh?

Other than retorting on a handful of recent occasions to your hysterical, ranting and personal attacks in kind I have not attacked you personally.

On the other hand, I have repeatedly pointed out that your so called "tests" of solid bullets, shooting wet paper and other ad hoc media, produces results so far from reality, cannot reproduce real results in real elephant and other game, has zero value for predicting real world results that they are irrelevant to bullet terminal performance in real world hunts for real world elephants and other game.

I have also pointed out that you contradict your own disclaimer about you not extending your wet paper and ad hc media tests to predictions of real solid terminal bullet performance in real elephants and other game so often it is just hypocracy.

You ought not take disagreement with your opinions, and with the efficacy of your tests as personal attack. If you do, so be it. Your problem, not mine.

Try reading my post below, maybe the whole point of solid bullet making will sink home. Clue: it isn't to shoot wet paper.

JPK
AKA: Lapdog

quote:
quote:

Nobody says they don't.

Here lies the whole issue and the whole problem, BoomStick's quote: "Information I have read here makes the decision easy."

The only information on this thread, save one example, shows reliable penetration on elephants by RN steel jacketed solids. One bullet cited on this thread veered, the rest did not.

The wet paper and ad hoc media tests provide consistent contrary, but irrlevant results.

The information on this thread shows TWO examples of FN copper solids veering/deflecting, but otherwise reliable performance.

The wet paper and ad hoc media tests provide consistent contrary (in that it shows no veering or deflection with FN's,) but irrlevant results.

What in the world on this thread shows superior peformance by FN solids on elephants? Nothing!

But there is a ream of information that FN's sure do penetrate paper well.

So, were all those damn elephants irrelevant to bullet performance and the wet paper and ad hoc media rellevant?

Are those elephants all F'dU and providing inconvenient results contrary to the media.

Jeezuz, those elephants sure need fixing, so they provide the same results as the wet paper, eh?

Maybe, just maybe, bullet performance ought to measured by performance in the real thing, eh?

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
OK so you say FN are best for soft tissue but not bone. I would think a RN would deflect more than a FN I am open to being wrong but that would be my thinking. Is there a good repeatable media that can prove this?

quote:
quote:

No for body shots in muscle, yes in elephant heads through bone.

FN's provide more penetration in muscle and other soft tissue. Not neccesarily straighter, but deeper. RN's provide more reliable penetration through heavier bone, and since the head may include heavier bone, they are more relibale in elephant heads.

JPK

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I was referring to this thread and AR in general.
Why are so many bullet manufacturers abandoning traditional RN solid bullets for FN solids???

quote:
quote:
quote:

Nobody says they don't.

Here lies the whole issue and the whole problem, BoomStick's quote: "Information I have read here makes the decision easy."

The only information on this thread, save one example, shows reliable penetration on elephants by RN steel jacketed solids. One bullet cited on this thread veered, the rest did not.

The wet paper and ad hoc media tests provide consistent contrary, but irrlevant results.

The information on this thread shows TWO examples of FN copper solids veering/deflecting, but otherwise reliable performance.

The wet paper and ad hoc media tests provide consistent contrary (in that it shows no veering or deflection with FN's,) but irrlevant results.

What in the world on this thread shows superior peformance by FN solids on elephants? Nothing!

But there is a ream of information that FN's sure do penetrate paper well.

So, were all those damn elephants irrelevant to bullet performance and the wet paper and ad hoc media rellevant?

Are those elephants all F'dU and providing inconvenient results contrary to the media.

Jeezuz, those elephants sure need fixing, so they provide the same results as the wet paper, eh?

Maybe, just maybe, bullet performance ought to measured by performance in the real thing, eh?

JPK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

465H&H

quote:

465HH
quote:

Good Day to you!

Michael

Michael 458,

Go back and read what Macifej said in the above post. I wasn't challenging his or your test results. I was commenting on his "opinion" that hunting elephants with a RN steel hjacketed solid is akin to driving a model T in a F1 race and that any one that uses one is ignorant. In addition he is the one that brought up the issue of results on elephant, not ME! I take that as a personal attack and I will not stand for it. If one proports to know what works on elephant or any other species then it is appropriate to ask how he knows which will work or not work. Look at the pics he posted. Notice that he did not name which CCRN bullets were involved from all apperances they were soft point bullets. I may be wrong there and if so I apologize in advance. If I am correct then his posting at the least disingenuous. Also I think it is below your character to refer to JPK as my "lapdog". That is a personal attack that has no place here. If I offend you then I guess that will have to be but your sensitivity to opposing views is wearing thin.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
FN? why in the heck do we need FN, when RN has worked for so long? theres no need for improvement

Jacketed RN solids? why do we need those contraptions when mercury hardened lead balls have worked so well theres no need for improvement

hardened lead? pash, softlead 4 bores do the job theres no need for improvement

cartridges? there's NO ReASON for those new fangled things, when muzzle loaders have worked so well theres no need for improvement

guns? piddle .. bow's and arrows have killed everything on the planet, theres no need for improvement

Arrows? hardly, a fine spear will do the job theres no need for improvement

a spear? haven't you read the bible? a jaw bone of an ass will little anything that walks... theres no need for improvement

speaks of the jawing of luditte asses, where were we?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38404 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Guys, I hate to see this (for lack of a better word) bickering. I think Michaels bullet tests have been very enlightening. I have done this and those of us that have realize how freaking much work it takes. We are lucky to have this and field results are equally important. RN or FN, shoot what you prefer but I am inclined to think that the FN bullets provide more straight line penetration but in most instances, the RN steel jacketed solids work pretty well too. I don't have near the experience of most guys here but my limited experience with bison says they work great. Anyway, shoot what you want but let's not kill the messenger.

Michael, I am working on getting you some .458 .065 bullets from Hawk. Those are the ones I really want to see tested. I have shot some Hawk bullets with an .035 jacket in my .470 but haven't been able to really test them. I would love to see how the Hawk "dead soft" bullets with the heavier jacket work. I might be wrong and maybe someone here knows but with respect to a herd animal like a buffalo (or a bison) where you have to worry about over penetration and wounding an animal beyone the one you are shooting that the Hawk bullets might be a good thing. There is such a thing as too much penetration sometime Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dave,
results will be simple on the hawk bullets.. pancakes if soft, misshapen if solids .. but they deliver the goods on thinskinned game

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38404 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BoomStick,

Yes, the media is elephant heads. It is repeatable for either a side or frontal brain shot. With either a heart shot elephant or using the opposite of which you use to kill the elephant.

But, in reality, it is very repeatable even on live elephants or multiple shots into the same head. For example, every Woodleigh that I have used (same bullet, same velocity, of course) on a frontal brain shot whether the elephant was live or dead penetrated within an inch or two of the mean average penetration depth. The entire range of deviation is right at about 5% up and 5% down. Not much difference with NF FN's either, except that there are between the shoulder blade exits with the NF's which leads to skewed (downward) results since you can only measure to the exit and on a few shots where the elephant's head is held low, the bullet will enter the thorax, where it can be difficult to locate.

There is no doubt that when the FN's don't deflect or veer too badly, they penetrate heads more than sufficiently, exiting on side brain shots, except where they strike to offside zygomatic arch, where they always rivet and sometimes bend. There is likewise no doubt for RN's which exit on side brain shots as well - though 465H&H reports fewer exits - and they deform on the off zygomatic arch if they strike it after tumbling, but not if encountered straight on.

But there is the answer. Penetration requirements are known for reaching the brain. The question is which reaches it more reliably. And that is the quality steel jacketed RN, like Woodleigh or the old steel jacketed Hornadays or Winchesters.

Elephant and buff bodies also provide relatively consistent results, at least as long as bones except the ribs are avoided. Even with the greater variances, the substantial penetration advantage of the FN's results in virtually no overlap of results.

RN's tend to tumble, but only after they have expended the great portion of their velocity, Their tumbling does not produce veering, or at least not often. I have never found a Woodleigh to have veered, neither has 465H&H, and in a thread on the African Hunter board requesting examples of veering RN's despite wide participation and wider viewing, there were no examples cited. They will veer, but it is a rare issue.

RN's penetrate heavy bone without nose deformation. I have never recovered a Woodleigh with nose deformation, with the exception of one I shot into a tusk, by mistake.

FN's will veer as well. But that not common either. But I have had one veer in target after divoting, and one deflect off of bone. FN performance on heavy bone is anything but reliable. Riveting is a 100% result, but not all riveting is a drawback or failure. In fact Gerard is an ardent proponent of his theory that riveting is preferable to catastauphic failure. My experience shows that non-uniform riveting or divoting lead to veering, though not every time.

So, RN the first shot, for brain shots; FN's for the second and every other shot.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

Michael 458,

Go back and read what Macifej said in the above post. I wasn't challenging his or your test results. I was commenting on his "opinion" that hunting elephants with a RN steel hjacketed solid is akin to driving a model T in a F1 race and that any one that uses one is ignorant. In addition he is the one that brought up the issue of results on elephant, not ME! I take that as a personal attack and I will not stand for it. If one proports to know what works on elephant or any other species then it is appropriate to ask how he knows which will work or not work. Look at the pics he posted. Notice that he did not name which CCRN bullets were involved from all apperances they were soft point bullets. I may be wrong there and if so I apologize in advance. If I am correct then his posting at the least disingenuous. Also I think it is below your character to refer to JPK as my "lapdog". That is a personal attack that has no place here. If I offend you then I guess that will have to be but your sensitivity to opposing views is wearing thin.

465H&H[/QUOTE]

465HH

I can tell you now concerning personal attacks that I and every single person that reads the "lapdogs" comments understand explicitly under any and all circumstances that this has been personal attack since day one, by his undertaking. As for my character, that remains totally unchallenged and 100% intact as I have ignored, and continue to ignore the ravings that are repeated over and over. It is obvious there is no reason, no middle ground, as I have tried over and over, and you know this for a fact. You have been in the middle of it from day one! I have made every effort to be a gentleman and to boldly ignore ignorance and raving. However, today, I call a "Spade a Spade" and nothing more, and no less than!

I am quite sure the comment you mention, which brought on your comment was directed in another direction, not to you directly. I did go back and read it. I believe the "nostalgia" part of that comment was for you and the other comment, well......goes without saying. In fact, I find little wrong with "nostalgia" myself, and think it quite honorable in many cases, I think most folks would find that an honorable thing. I hope to live long enough to become nostalgic about many things!

I also contend and concur with his excellent analogy concerning the Model T and the other car whatever it is (I am ignorant about many things, cars being one of them, bullets are not one of them). I also had an analogy concerning this matter, SCI Show or Shot Show! This is the Shot version, not the "I shot the Most Elephant" version.

You continue to paint me in the light of being "overly sensitive". I dare say that every single post you made here was attacked and so called, and irrelevant that it surely might start to wear real damn thin over a two year period. So if that is sensitive, then it is wearing thin on me too. I can certainly understand that point personally. If every single post I made to you was this "shooting "So called" elephants in so called elephant medium adhoc test medium all is irrelevant and so on and so forth, I suppose at some point you might become a bit sensitive too.

Today is your day to start getting sensitive! I've been there, and enough. This could be a reasonable and effective conversation, but the lapdog will not allow that, and cannot understand that. And I see that you have been pretending to be the "Voice of reason", but the comment you made, may very well show true colors 465HH, and for this I am sorry, I would have much rather never read that!

"Ghees How many Elephants Have you Shot"

My good friend, I am very sorry to tell you this, but that one sentence really says far more than the words you typed!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
haven't you read the bible? a jaw bone of an ass will little anything that walks... theres no need for improvement

speaks of the jawing of luditte asses, where were we?

rotflmo

I think I will get biblical and go ass hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:

Hilarious. "Dude" - you'll have to do better than that if you propose to gain some credibility here. Clue - you and JPK are the laughing stock at this point. I'll make you the same offer I've made to every other stooge wannabe engineer who posts mountains of horseshit on AR. You design the test and I'll provide the bullets.

popcorn

I think I can speak for 465H&H on this. Neither of us wants to be an engineer or a bullet designer.

But we do hunt. And we know what works and what doesn't, and what the attributes of one product is over another, since we only report results, in game, from real hunts, in the real world.

Wet paper and other ad hoc media don't add credibility, or shouldn't. It produces irrelevant results that are not repeated in game, it cannot predict performance in game.

So, does the performance in wet paper drive bullet design, or does performance in game, here discussed elephants, drive bullet design?

The FN's have drawbacks, they are no panacea. The RN's have drawbacks.

But mostly, rather than criticize someone for using bullets for what the hell they were designed for - and that isn't shooting wet paper or hardboard - and reporting results, maybe you ought to shut up, pack up and go hunting and find out first hand what happens with solids in real elephants, on real hunts, in the real world.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think all the problems can be solved with 12 bore and above brass ball in a smooth bore. I would love to see testing of large bore brass balls at high velocity. Big Grin BOOM
Tungsten balls covered in copper anyone?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Guys, I hate to see this (for lack of a better word) bickering. I think Michaels bullet tests have been very enlightening. I have done this and those of us that have realize how freaking much work it takes. We are lucky to have this and field results are equally important. RN or FN, shoot what you prefer but I am inclined to think that the FN bullets provide more straight line penetration but in most instances, the RN steel jacketed solids work pretty well too. I don't have near the experience of most guys here but my limited experience with bison says they work great. Anyway, shoot what you want but let's not kill the messenger.

Michael, I am working on getting you some .458 .065 bullets from Hawk. Those are the ones I really want to see tested. I have shot some Hawk bullets with an .035 jacket in my .470 but haven't been able to really test them. I would love to see how the Hawk "dead soft" bullets with the heavier jacket work. I might be wrong and maybe someone here knows but with respect to a herd animal like a buffalo (or a bison) where you have to worry about over penetration and wounding an animal beyone the one you are shooting that the Hawk bullets might be a good thing. There is such a thing as too much penetration sometime Wink

Dave

Believe me when I say this, not one person on this thread hates to see this more than me! This is totally uncalled for and ignorant amongst what are supposed to be intelligent grown men! I am personally ashamed to be a part of it myself, and ashamed it is on this thread! That's not what this thread was about, that's why it is not posted on the African Forum! So for my part everyone please accept my apology for this and my part in it. I have said everything I have been compelled to say over it. It is my greatest wish that we can carry on and continue the thread because we have much work to do, and much progress to make. So far, we have scratched the surface.

I have already stated, I will no longer test any round nose solid to help prevent discussion on the matter. It is a moot point, agreed on by all, including what seems to be the opposition.

If you also look back in this thread you will see where I personally posted a wonderful report from 465HH on his last elephant shooting mission in which he had outstanding things to say about the Hornady DGS. In addition to that, while he has been a major part of this thread, I invited him to report direct on this thread concerning those very events, and listed his thread here from the African Forum. So you can see, legitimate field experience is invited and taken into account. The very same as I invited Jack Bold to post his views on his experience too!

Enough of this now. More MUCH MORE important items to discuss.

Dave, get those Hawks, send me a few, and I will sort it out for you! More than happy to do so. What caliber, weight, and such are we looking at???

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

But mostly, rather than criticize someone for using bullets for what the hell they were designed for - and that isn't shooting wet paper or hardboard - and reporting results, maybe you ought to shut up, pack up and go hunting and find out first hand what happens with solids in real elephants, on real hunts, in the real world.

JPK

I have been there I have done it! I have shot elephants, buffalo, and a damn sight more things than you can even imagine!

So smartass lapdog, you want to direct that comment to me? Real elephants! Real Hunts. Real buffalo! Real Lions and how I got there and was successful is because I shot real paper! So you shut the F%*K up with your inexperienced mouthing off! And while you are at it get off my thread and don't come back.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why those that proport to be experts on what works and doesn't work for elephant can't be asked for their experience in this regard. That seems to me to be a very reasonable question. Just like well, "how many bullets have you shot into test media" to be able to say what you do. Why do some take it as a slight to be asked? Please enlighten me. I'm sure willing to learn.

JPK has stated several times that RN SJ solids penetrate better than FN solids on elephant heads. I haven't weighed in on that statement because I have only used about a dozen on elephants. From that very limited experience, I found the opposite to be true but hope to increase the number during the next year. In this regard if you read Dan McCarthy's article on bullet performance in elephants which even you have referred to then you will see that his results showed Woodleigh RN solids penetrated deeper on elephant heads than NF, Bridger or GS Custom combined. It was only when the abysmal failure, the Barnes RN mono-metal bullet was averaged in did FN penetrate deeper on elephant heads.

Many here are quick to use animal results when it supports their position but object when others do. Is that fair?

In all of our discussions, the only place that I know of that we have disagreed is on sample sizes of test bullets needed to make reliable comparisons and the use of personal attacks. I admit I am a bit anal on personal attacks as I think they do nothing to further the discussion and make me less likely to read and understand what the poster is really saying. Just think how you would feel if someone called you Macifej's "lapdog". I doubt that you would appreciate it and it surely wouldn't further the discussion.

465h&H