New
Find
Notify
Tools

460G&A info Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Ok - BTW - it looks great otherwise. Enjoy.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
Ok - BTW - it looks great otherwise. Enjoy.

Haha..

Thanks. Cant wait to go shoot her for the 1st time.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice .404 Metric, how does it shoot ?

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It shoots quite well.
78grs N150 behind the 400grs Woodleigh will put 5 shots in a 1,5 inch cluster at 100m.

Å 310grs lead bullet pushed by 50grs + N130 and a piece of Dacron is very similar with the same point of impact.

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey if one can live with plastic stocks the trigger is a non problem!! Excuse me, Im a true nostalgic in a modern world!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear you Ray. I just love mine, and RUM brass makes it simple.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Hey if one can live with plastic stocks the trigger is a non problem!! Excuse me, Im a true nostalgic in a modern world!! rotflmo

True,

But this will be a working trails rifle and now its "bush proof"

Just a tool to do the job.

Would hate to ruine a lovely wooden stock on a trail rifle.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerhard,
My cure for my custom stocked rifle to make them bush proff is as soon as Im finished I run out in our back yard and take the gun by the barrel and whip mamas rose bushes and get that behind me and go hunting! works for me! Not for everyone however! shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter,

Ive always had a "thang" for the .425 Wesley Richards, Its a lot of killing power in a very small case..I always wanted one in a WR rifle with that feeding devise that made the rebated rim bomb proff...Never got one but did have one that was converted to .458 Win by someone, and that little feed clip fed those .458s thru that nice mauser like poop thu a goose..I gave that rifle to a fellow that gave it to me..I complete refinished it and rather than listen to him cry, gave it back to him..

Just a guess but Im bett'en dollars to donuts, since you made those cases you omitted the rebated rim??? I have seen that done and read about it in Pierre Vanderwalts book on African Rifles.. I have read that book over and over more that a few times..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was doing a few drills that we needed to be able to do for the Advance Rifle Handling Competency tests before I could carry a rifle as a back up trails guide.

Here is a video of my 460 G&A in action.

https://youtu.be/iU7wl-QtA8o

The next step will be to shorten the barrel to 20 inches and put a shallow V back sight.

Will be loading 500gr Dzombo's as my load for stopping a charge.

Will be working on a load to push the 500gr at 2250fps

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
posted Hide Post
My problem with the really big bores is recoil recovery..That can be a bitch up real close..thus my choice of the 40 caliber..

I did, shoot George Hoffmans 460 Wby and loved it at the time..I sold it for George just before he passed away..He loved the caliber.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you remember which 460 ammo George used?

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jaegerfrank,
I don't recall what ammo George used, but knowing George as I do, Id say he used factory ammo, perhaps Norma or whatever Wby used..

I had his dies and some empty cases so I loaded it max and shot them up in the back yard. It was an accurate rifle and I sold to a fellow that used to post on AR, have not heard from him in while??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 460G&A had a face lift with the barrel being shortened too 20,5 inches.

Picked up the rifle last week Thursday afternoon, had Friday morning to fire form brass and do some load development.

I chose Impala 475gr bullets to start off with and the loads were a bit hot giving me 2330fps over 10 shots on the chrony.

I will have to spend more time working on load development. Its great that I know that I can get this speed out of the short barrel but my goal is to shoot a 500gr bullet at 2150fps.

The Big Bore competition on Saturday was more a test on functionality of the rifle as well as to test the quick pointing capability of the short barrel.

I am extremely satisfied with both although my accurate shooting need some work.

https://youtu.be/IsCkcJ4glJc

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho sharpshooter,
I would love to have a 425 WR, that's a great caliber..I had one that I bought at the Boise gun show some years ago but it had been rechambered to a .458 Win...Those Wr clips just make that rebated rim feed like poop thru a goose and they worked like a charm with the 458..I let a dear friend have the rifle after he lusted for it for quite some time, felt sorry for him and just gave it to him...but he had done a lot for me, so what goes around comes around..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

posted Hide Post
An older thread but still some interest in it.

I had a 460 G&A built about 22 years ago on a Remington Model 30 action. I wasn't real keen on that name so I had mine stamped 460 Jeffrey.

A couple years ago I bagged a derelict Model 30 and had the same smith build a mate in 300 H&H.

I haven't shot it much and I confess the recoil with full loads is too much for me to shoot comfortably.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Preview of a video I shot today

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerhard.Delport:

The metal has been Cerakoted.
The synthetic stock has been build and bedding will be done in the 1st week of April.

The work is being done by Armtec South Africa.

Hi Gerhard

That rifle has come up well. I like a really practical working rifle like that. Which model stock is that? I am guessing their "Jeffery" model?

Thanks

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
quote:

The metal has been Cerakoted.
The synthetic stock has been build and bedding will be done in the 1st week of April.

The work is being done by Armtec South Africa.

Hi Gerhard

That rifle has come up well. I like a really practical working rifle like that. Which model stock is that? I am guessing their "Jeffery" model?

Thanks

Hi Bwana,

Yes, it's the Jeffery model stock.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate. Think I will touch couch base with them. tu2 tu2 tu2

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was surprised how the Wby 460 of George Hoffmans handled and the lack of recoil,sorta! It wasn't nearly as bad has I had anticipated..It sure put a lot of blood on the ground..I always thought a 460 G&A in either version would make a neat gun, but most of the 458 are the same in the field, caliber wise, an in the effect on DG..They hammer'um..

Beautiful Enfields and Rem 30s, they make the best DG bolt rifles IMO, and I love that ugly hammer safety, you always know where it is and its always there when you need it...I like the mod 70 safety but it has its weakness on a DG rifle in that you have to push it in a half circle, the Enfield you can just flip it off if its smoothed up. That's important when your surprised...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the full video...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 460 G&A for a Tanzania Buff hunt back in 2008. It was a Rifles Inc safari built on a pre-64 M70 action. It did the job, for sure.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice !
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharpshooter,
I will bend to the .425 W.R/s you hit a soft spot, an long time favorite and Ive only owned one, but loved it, but it fetched me so much cash I succumbed to greed..sorry for the late 5 year reply!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. Shorter better I’d say. My 22” Lott does500 at 2250. But I do have an extra RUM action that I want to build something....V notch instead of peep?

quote:
I was doing a few drills that we needed to be able to do for the Advance Rifle Handling Competency tests before I could carry a rifle as a back up trails guide.

Here is a video of my 460 G&A in action.

https://youtu.be/iU7wl-QtA8o

The next step will be to shorten the barrel to 20 inches and put a shallow V back sight.

Will be loading 500gr Dzombo's as my load for stopping a charge.

Will be working on a load to push the 500gr at 2250fps

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George Hoffman sent his custom 460 Wby to me, I hunted with it one year and it certainly had more than enough recoil to satisfy Sampson..I later sold that gun for George as he was in need of money and was booked to hunt with me, Saeed and Pierre van Tonder, he planed for a year in pain but it kept him with something besides dieing on his mind, he was exceited and determined to make his last hunt, but he died only months before the hunt..He was a good friend, a good man, and is missed to this day..Other than that rifle the only 45 cal. I shot was the Lott as I recall and kicked the crap out of me..went back to the 404 and 416 REm. my two favorites.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120