Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Couldn't Resist! Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Despite having no plans for returning to Africa, I couldn't resist this rifle when I saw it. It's an A-Square in 500 A2. I know they're kind of clunky, but nothing tames recoil like these rifles do. I wonder if it will work OK on a Whitetail? :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! tu2 was that the one they had listed on the Hunting Africa Forums? What does it weigh by chance?

Posts: 165 | Location: michigan | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that an Enfield action or a Remington Model 30?It looks a lot like mine, built on a P-14 Enfield action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Alpin used P-14 actions for all his Hannibal builds. This one isn't from the African Hunting Forums...found online somewhere else.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I think Alpin used P-14 actions for all his Hannibal builds. This one isn't from the African Hunting Forums...found online somewhere else.

The P14 bolts are better suited for the really wide rim rounds compared to the M17 and 30.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Of course it would work on whitetail, a swat around the head by that club would probably even lay an elephant out Wink

Nice find and supposedly a very accurate and easy to shoot combination of cartridge and rifle. Factory setup with the scout scope too I believe. What scope is used?

I have an early A Square A4 sized brochure with all the details of their rifles and cartridges, lots of interesting info.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is this...a paddle ore..??

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Put it to good use on your Jersey bears, Jon!
Use cast boolits for deer.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if it will work OK on a Whitetail? :-)

Nah, your under gunned.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All you need is a chain saw and a new #50 cabinet rasp and a couple of weeks, and you will have on hell of a nice gun..Well maybe a horseshoe rasp after the chain saw then the cabinet rasp..

ONe more thing, DON,T CLOSE THE REAR DOOR ON YOUR WHITETAIL BLIND

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, it's staying as is...unless I switch to a peep or dot sight.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know they're kind of clunky, ...

Maybe, but is a huge step in the right direction from, well, you know ...

Whistling

I do hate to hear you're off of Africa Jon. I was too for 6 years. Going back this past summer relit the fire to some extent. But, I'm getting seriously concerned with my physical abilities to continue going. The back issues that took me out of the cockpit professionally 16 years ago are not getting any better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
wELL OK BUT KEEP THAT DOOR OPEN, DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU BOUNCING OUT ACROSS THE PASTURE FULL OF SPLENTERS..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have one that I haven't shot in about 30 years. Ugly, but it always impressed me as being built like a brick sh*t house.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, when you're bored of it, look me up! I need a year to recoup from this last purchase, though.....

CT's close, I'll let you have visitation rights!

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
Is that an Enfield action or a Remington Model 30?It looks a lot like mine, built on a P-14 Enfield action.

no difference - but they are 17 actions with 14 bolts

as for the coil chunk stock .. rumor is at art got a sweet deal on reject railroad ties

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ray, it's staying as is...unless I switch to a peep or dot sight.

It's not that much different from mine on a P-14 action and in a Fajen stock. Three trips to Africa.

The feature which impressed me was the lack of drop at the heel of the stock, just like mine. Mine propels a 570 grain bullet at 2150 fps and has killed everything I shot with it. I never felt the need for a scope, except to test loads with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a close range stopping rifle like that does well with a peep or ghost ring sight.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
xausa,
What you aren't seeing is the cross section - the coil chunk stock is THICK -- idr, but i believe is nearly 3/4 + thicker than "normal" stocks -- think holding the thick end of a pickaxe handle for the grip.

and, to be clear, art's claim to fame on these was using 17 actions with 14 bolts,

the 500s in a bolt gun, at 2150 is a big shove - at A2 2400fps, there's a bit more of a WHACK

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
Well, when you're bored of it, look me up! I need a year to recoup from this last purchase, though.....

CT's close, I'll let you have visitation rights!

I will give it two months until we see on the classifieds.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Uglier than Cinderella’s stepsisters.

And life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Still, I might buy it, if was chambered in something more suitable to its ugliness, like .577 T-Rex!!!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Despite having no plans for returning to Africa, I couldn't resist this rifle when I saw it. It's an A-Square in 500 A2. I know they're kind of clunky, but nothing tames recoil like these rifles do. I wonder if it will work OK on a Whitetail? :-)

Looks like a great rifle as is.

Personally, I would load 450gn GSC at 2600fps for all-around comfort. Faster powders recommended.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, not much need for 570gr bullets around here. I do have some 570gr moly Barnes bullets I may try just for fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon:

It's really all about fun, so have at it!

Dave Manson

Posts: 683 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I'll see how much "fun" I can take :-)

posted Hide Post
Jon
Put it to use that will make my friend happy someone is using it

John B

Posts: 109 | Location: NE OH | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no better big bore action out there, Ive built some fine Enfields in the big bores from a long throated 375 IMP to a 505 Gibbs IMP. and at a reasonable price, can't do that with a big Mauser action that cost a small fortune...but Biebs please restock it! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, the stock is ugly but classic....kind of like you! :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ray, the stock is ugly but classic....kind of like you! :-)

Ditto that !
Don't change a thing.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, a certain part of my body is ugly but classic and resembles your gun, my old white wrinkled butt! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nice rifle! Grats!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
and, to be clear, art's claim to fame on these was using 17 actions with 14 bolts

Not clear. Lol. I’m not following the logic of this, or the heap of P14 bolt-less rifles and M1917 bolts it would have produced. Both P14 (.303 British) and M1917 (.30-06) were cock on close, unless I’m mistaken, because all they did was rechamber for .30-06 and go to war. It’s too late to bother going down to the vault to check my Remington M1917 or Eddystone M1917, but I know for a fact my .500 A2 is cock on close and is based on a M1917 action. Do you have any more information on this? I have Any Shot You Want and I don’t recall Art claiming that, but it’s been awhile since I read about his fence post epiphany. Wink

Posts: 441 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 19 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:

Looks like a great rifle as is.

Personally, I would load 450gn GSC at 2600fps for all-around comfort. Faster powders recommended.

Agree!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
One nice thing about a big gun, is that if they [deer] are standing behind small trees, just shoot thru them!! Wink

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love ya Biebs!! You're one of a few special guys that can come up with more creative reasons to buy more big bores than I can! ROCK ON !!!
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Just measured the tree that I have been shooting thru with the 405B and 300 grain TSX's. 8.1/2" testing speed. Will this load kill a Deer? Big Grin

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlabreck7316:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
and, to be clear, art's claim to fame on these was using 17 actions with 14 bolts

Not clear. Lol. I’m not following the logic of this, or the heap of P14 bolt-less rifles and M1917 bolts it would have produced. Both P14 (.303 British) and M1917 (.30-06) were cock on close, unless I’m mistaken, because all they did was rechamber for .30-06 and go to war. It’s too late to bother going down to the vault to check my Remington M1917 or Eddystone M1917, but I know for a fact my .500 A2 is cock on close and is based on a M1917 action. Do you have any more information on this? I have Any Shot You Want and I don’t recall Art claiming that, but it’s been awhile since I read about his fence post epiphany. Wink

at the time, the actions and bolts could be had for little more than scrap weight. Yes, there is a cock on open "kit" for the enfields - i've installed more than a couple
https://www.brownells.com/rifl...n-kit-prod25037.aspx

the initial 14 in a 17 was due to bolt face - a magnum case fits right in, zero gunsmithing required, AND the bolt face is different

here is a TERRIBLE video quality youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugr1Vxztu6E

in short, it eliminated several delicate machining steps to start in this config

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
quote:
I wonder if it will work OK on a Whitetail? :-)

Nah, your under gunned.

Dave

Not with good shot placement!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just import yourself a gun bearer to carry it and it will be a complete package

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
You can have gun bearers if you wish but I think you need backup with a bigger bore gun. Be Well, Packy.