THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .416 Rigby vs 9.3x62 For Buffalo

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Rigby vs 9.3x62 For Buffalo Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got pretty banged up in a truck crash about a year and a half ago and not healing up like I thought I would. I haven’t shot any centerfire rifles for awhile and now I am thinking my tolerance level is probably at this time the .270 Win level and start from there, slowly working into some bigger rifles. I am planning on a Buffalo hunt in 2022. I have a Magnum Mauser 98 in .416 Rigby that I had planned on using but I am thinking it may beyond my recoil threshold at this time. The .416 is also a bit heavy for me to carry around all day at this time also.
I have only hunted free range Buffalo twice, most of my hunting experiences have been for elk,moose,sheep, caribou, deer, bear and antelope. I understand the 9.3x62 is not legal for Buffalo in several countries. I understand how tough a wild herd bull or Dugga Boy can be to kill. In my experiences a frontal chest shot should not be taken on a mature Buffalo bull with any caliber , even though some PH’s encourage frontal chest shots. How many experienced hunters here use or have used the 9.3X62 for Buffalo ? A lot has to do with proper bullet placement and the proper bullet. However I am also a firm believer in “Use Enough Gun”.
I have the option of a just under 9lb scoped Win Pre 64 Mod 70 9.3x62 which would be easier to carry than the 10 3/4 lb Rigby. It would also be much easier on my body at this time to practice and hunt with. For you experienced Buffalo hunters, would you wait another year until I can comfortably handle the Rigby or is the 9.3x62 enough gun?

Posts: 654 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan of the .416, but with your situation I would have no concern about using the 9.3 as long as it’s legal.

Using a gun that is marginally too much for you could lead to flinching or being too tired when the chance comes.

The 9.3 is about the same as a standard .375 (H&H, ruger, .375 wby) and they kill buff just fine if you put the bullet in the right spot.

As your injury shows, you can’t predict the future.

Go with the 9.3, and return later with your .416.

Posts: 10463 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buffalo hunting experience is less than most around her, but I like to experiment and research.
I have learned that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, it is the bullet design/construction that is the big factor.
I will use Swift A-frame or better all the way up to Cutting Edge Bullets, NorthFork and Peregrine BushMasters, if I hunt cape buffalo with a 9.3x 62.

If a bullet is well marketed and very popular, like Hornady and others, I would avoid it.

While I like 500 -577 big bores, I would confidently hunt cape buffalo with a 9.3x62, if I had the best in bullets and a good PH, and could get within 50 yds of the buffalo. JMO.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident.

Perhaps the 9.3x62 will be the biggest your body may effectively be able to handle.

Kevin Robertson (Doctari) is a PH in Zim and the author of such books as, 'The Perfect Shot I and II', plus 'Africa's Most Dangerous'. He states in the last book on page 80, that his 9.3x62 has accounted for over 650 Buffaloes. His book was published in 2013, so who knows how many that rifle has racked up since.

He further stated that he had found the 300 gr. premium bullets to "offer substantially better performance over the more common 286 grainers".

I am hunting Buffalo in a few months with my open sighted 458 Lott and a scoped (2.5-8) 9.3x62. The 9.3 will be shooting 300 gr. SAF bullets (SD of .320) and the 458 will be fed 500 gr. SAF (SD of .341). Interestingly, the SD of a 300 gr. 375 bullet is .305.

I have taken Buffalo with a 375H&H, 404 Jeffery, and 458 Lott, but never a 9.3x62, so I cannot personally testify on it's suitability for you. However, if Robertson's testimony is true, and I have no reason to doubt his integrity, it appears that the 9.3x62, with premium 300 gr. softpoints, are abundantly adequate, but on the lower end of the range spectrum.

Good luck on your hunt and I hope that your recovery is complete by safari time.

Posts: 2574 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If I were you, I would not let this temporary disability prevent me from hunting buffalo.

I would prefer the .416.

But the 9.3x62mm is an adequate rifle.

Far from the best, IMHO.

But certainly adequate.

Just be completely sure that you put a good bullet in precisely the right place.

Which is what we all should do.

Every time.

With any rifle.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve taken two buff with my 9.3 , both frontal shots using the 320 grain Woodleigh bullets. One made a couple of steps while the other needed a follow up. As you’ve already read, use the best quality bullets and you won’t go wrong.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thing I would suggest trying, load 400gr bullets in that Rigby down to 2150fps. Now you basically have a 10 3/4 lb 450-400 NE. Recoil at this velocity is almost unbelievably mild & it still hits game plenty hard.

416 Rem at this velocity with Barnes Triple Shock & Woodleigh solids is one of the 3 rifles that my buddy and I took to Australia. We shot 12 buffalo with it.

If the recoil at that velocity is manageable, then personally I'd just have a tracker carry the rifle if needed.

Posts: 428 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I've had more emphatic buffalo kills with the 9.3x62 than with big bores.
Take your time to take a proper placement shots and don't rush it.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baker458 just made two very good suggestions. As I think about it, that is what I would do.

Moderate velocity load in the Rigby is still plenty of power. I take the sharp edge off of my big bore loads. (No one, especially the buffalo knows the difference.)

And there is no shame in getting a tracker to carry the rifle, as far as I am concerned. That is what I am going to start doing next year. (I will carry the rifle as we get close to the animal). Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4WD,

One of my clients had some gun issues and was going to bring his 9.3x62 for buffalo in Zambia rather than his big bore. I asked the safari operator how he felt about the client bringing the 9.3x62 and he was absolutely fine with it. A 286 gr bullet at 2300 fps or 300 gr bullet from a 375 at 2500 fps is going to do exactly the same thing to a buffalo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12839 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to try and use the .416 Rigby. RIP had given me a practice load using 350gr Speers and AA5744 powder that in my 10lb Rigby about equals the recoil of a 9lb .270 Win..
The practice load gets 1520 FPS . I can play around with that load for awhile without getting to beat up and eventually try to work into some more full power loads with some 400-410 grain hunting bullets.

Posts: 654 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I’m not particularly recoil sensitive, 2000 FPS with a 350 or even 400 grain bullet is very tolerable.

I got a PAST magnum recoil pad, and spent the weekend thumping plates off the bench at 200 yards with my .375 h&h. 45 300 grain partitions and I felt like a million bucks.

Highly recommended.

Posts: 1276 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
First thing I would suggest trying, load 400gr bullets in that Rigby down to 2150fps. Now you basically have a 10 3/4 lb 450-400 NE. Recoil at this velocity is almost unbelievably mild & it still hits game plenty hard.

416 Rem at this velocity with Barnes Triple Shock & Woodleigh solids is one of the 3 rifles that my buddy and I took to Australia. We shot 12 buffalo with it.

If the recoil at that velocity is manageable, then personally I'd just have a tracker carry the rifle if needed.

Sound advice! tu2

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drongo and Baker458,

I am with you on that. The first time I use my 577NE on buffalo was with hard cast 700 gr bullets with a wide flat nose. I think the velocity was way down close to 1600 fps. It killed three buffalo, one shot kills, without any fuss.

Don't tell the troops, but on big bores, the velocity factor gets overrated. People are realizing that the key factors are bullet design and construction for deep straight penetration with a wide wound channel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot several buffalo with the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x64 without a problem and several with a mauser 95 in 7x57...they worked fine ...BUT on one of those rare ocassions involving a charge my choice of caliber grows by the mini second and I want my mama or at least a 416 or 577..but in your case the 9.3x62 with a good PH too back one up Id say go to it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41731 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I like your post! Brian

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
4WD,

One of my clients had some gun issues and was going to bring his 9.3x62 for buffalo in Zambia rather than his big bore. I asked the safari operator how he felt about the client bringing the 9.3x62 and he was absolutely fine with it. A 286 gr bullet at 2300 fps or 300 gr bullet from a 375 at 2500 fps is going to do exactly the same thing to a buffalo.

Mark

My 9.3 does 2500 with a 286 North Fork... ;-)

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
My Husqvarna 9,3x62 does 2250fps with 320 grain Woodleigh SN and FMJ.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get 2416 outa my 9.3x57 with a 285 gr. bullet.

Hip

Posts: 1786 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yesmam,
The 9.3x62 loads in US reloading books is a joke!! Europeans and Africans load them way up yonder and have 0 problems...I never had a problem loading the 286 gr. bullest at 2500 FPS plus a bit, or the 300 for for 2400 plus for that matter. Want realistic load data go to African Dangerous Game Cartridges by Pierre van der Walt, and add 5% insome cases..Its the equal of the 375 H&H as far as killing effect as far as I can tell..shoot one, it runs 25 or 50 yards, bellows. and dies, same with the 470 come to think of it...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41731 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a .375 H&H or .375 Ruger with a muzzle brake? That would be legal and drastically reduce the recoil.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good practical advise from Butch....

The 375 Ruger is a great DG rifle..and better than the 9.3x62, on paper, but I never could tell much difference between the two.

The muzzle brakes seems to me is the answer to your prayers..they sure work..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:

Baker 458,
This is probably the best advice and makes the most sense.
I hate muzzle brakes and the guides and professionals I have been around do not like them at all either! I still have most of my hearing. Unless one is completely debilitated and the only way they can continue to hunt is with a muzzle brake, I would never use a brake. Loading down the Rigby and lots of practice sounds like a plan.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
More buffalo have probably killed with a 375 hh than any other chambering. Do you think that .009 of an inch and 14 grains of bullet wight makes a difference?

Use your 9,3 and you will be fine.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10041 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Condeming the use of a brake is ridiculas, especially in your case...I don't know any real outfitters that turn down hunts over a brake, if so they won't be in business long..

Its not the brake its how its used!! I do my bench work with a brake, sometimes take it off to hunt and sometimes hand out those ear plugs on a string to folk around me or tell them to stick their God given fingers in their ears!! tu2 rotflmo

All this brake whining is nonsense, do you think a 375 or 458 Lott without a brake, won't ruin your hearing??? then you say well I use hearing protection with my Lott and 375???? well duh, so does the guy with the brake, like I said its whining and BS over a non existing problem, kinda like a 1911 needs to be double actiion...It just ain't so.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Use the 9.3 with full confidence!

I guarantee you the buffalo won’t know the difference!

Just got back from a safari where I shot 11 buffalo with a 375.

Others in our party shot 10 more, also with 375 rifles.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66684 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
By all means use 9.3. I've shot only 2 with 62 and 74R respectively and would not hesitate to use either yet again. Ganyana had 38 one shot kills using 9,3x62 and TUG bullets. Shot in the boiler room with 9,3 is deadly anytime.

Posts: 2026 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Condeming the use of a brake is ridiculas, especially in your case...I don't know any real outfitters that turn down hunts over a brake, if so they won't be in business long..

Its not the brake its how its used!! I do my bench work with a brake, sometimes take it off to hunt and sometimes hand out those ear plugs on a string to folk around me or tell them to stick their God given fingers in their ears!! tu2 rotflmo

All this brake whining is nonsense, do you think a 375 or 458 Lott without a brake, won't ruin your hearing??? then you say well I use hearing protection with my Lott and 375???? well duh, so does the guy with the brake, like I said its whining and BS over a non existing problem, kinda like a 1911 needs to be double actiion...It just ain't so.

Whining about brakes might be nonsense, but despising them is not ! Especially when you are guiding complete stranger who are carrying them and Many with little hunting and rifle handling experience .

Lightly bruised shoulders heal quickly
Hearing loss is immediate & permanent !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4183 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All one need do is practice, and practice, shooting with his chosen hunting rifle.

Problem is not many do, and they still wish to use large bore to hunt with.

Funny thing is many people who do choose to use large bore rifles to hunt with, are incapable of shooting them accurately, and hope the larger bore will make up for their poor shooting!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66684 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I've shot buffalo with the 9.3's and they are more than adequate if you put the bullet in the right place... just like the good ol' .375's!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7504 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416 is a better buffalo rifle, in your case the 9.3x62 is plenty of gun to bet by on..Use a brake to file in the sights, work up loads, then hunt with a thread protector on the muzzle, simple as that..The other option is hunt with the brake and give your guide a set of ear plugs or a set of good ear muffs that allow conversation but stop the sound...I can't understand why some can;t understand that kind of reasoning?????

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
I got pretty banged up in a truck crash about a year and a half ago and not healing up like I thought I would. I haven’t shot any centerfire rifles for awhile and now I am thinking my tolerance level is probably at this time the .270 Win level and start from there, slowly working into some bigger rifles. I am planning on a Buffalo hunt in 2022. I have a Magnum Mauser 98 in .416 Rigby that I had planned on using but I am thinking it may beyond my recoil threshold at this time. The .416 is also a bit heavy for me to carry around all day at this time also.
I have only hunted free range Buffalo twice, most of my hunting experiences have been for elk,moose,sheep, caribou, deer, bear and antelope. I understand the 9.3x62 is not legal for Buffalo in several countries. I understand how tough a wild herd bull or Dugga Boy can be to kill. In my experiences a frontal chest shot should not be taken on a mature Buffalo bull with any caliber , even though some PH’s encourage frontal chest shots. How many experienced hunters here use or have used the 9.3X62 for Buffalo ? A lot has to do with proper bullet placement and the proper bullet. However I am also a firm believer in “Use Enough Gun”.
I have the option of a just under 9lb scoped Win Pre 64 Mod 70 9.3x62 which would be easier to carry than the 10 3/4 lb Rigby. It would also be much easier on my body at this time to practice and hunt with. For you experienced Buffalo hunters, would you wait another year until I can comfortably handle the Rigby or is the 9.3x62 enough gun?

If your injuries included your shoulder, I'd be really careful about caliber selection. I've torn both of my rotator cuffs and have one repaired -- one year recovery.

I used to fight full contact karate when I was younger. After the surgery I was told not to throw a full force punch again with that arm, and that was from one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country.

While I have never hunted buffalo and cannot weigh in on this, I do know shoulder surgery, and I can guarantee that you are not going to be happy with the brutally long recovery period.

Even though most PHs hate them, I'd put a comp on any rifle I took that was going to push my shoulder to the edge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
Rest assured If we ever go shoot some more Bison, I will remove the brake and stick on my nifty thread protector, rather than face your wrath!
rotflmo or maybe just use my 30-06!! thats the ticket!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with a 416 and have never hunted in Africa.

I have had a shoulder injury and a surgery where I was told not to do any shooting for quite some time. I was also told to eat lots of protein as that is what the body needs to heal. That is a key factor in healing from any injury.

After I healed up I started shooting and even a 243 bothered me so I purchased a PAST Recoil Pad so I could shoot more than a few shots at a time. This really helped me build back up to larger caliber rifles.
I still use it when shooting light weight rifles or shotguns with 3.5" Turkey loads with heavy recoil when at the bench.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...m_term=1101131606244

Something like this will help you shoot the 9.3 and the 416 even with reduced loads and allow you to concentrate on accuracy vs worrying about recoil.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote