THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .500 A-Square is finally finished!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500 A-Square is finally finished! Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
@ Dan 416......I don't see why not. Like JCS271 said, "let me know"!

Posts: 338 | Location: montana | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about mid-December or early Jan? Hopefully everyone has their tags filled by then. I'll post a notice on AR in November.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine rifle Sir. My first contact with the 500 A2 was in the mid 90's when a Buffalo hunter of mine arrived with one. It really got the buffaloes' attention.... Its a great big game caliber . Subsequently many more Buffaloes fell to this beast. When loaded with A Square's "Lion loads" it made the best Lion caliber I had ever encountered. Actually the Lion loads got to be quite controversial , but I saw them work flawlessly in a range of calibers on dozens of cats back in the days. Enjoy the rifle.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan416:
How about mid-December or early Jan? Hopefully everyone has their tags filled by then. I'll post a notice on AR in November.
Sounds like a plan, provided the roads are drivable. I've never attended a big bore shoot. What shall I bring, besides a couple of rifles and ammo?

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
Congratulations on a fine rifle Sir. My first contact with the 500 A2 was in the mid 90's when a Buffalo hunter of mine arrived with one. It really got the buffaloes' attention.... Its a great big game caliber . Subsequently many more Buffaloes fell to this beast. When loaded with A Square's "Lion loads" it made the best Lion caliber I had ever encountered. Actually the Lion loads got to be quite controversial , but I saw them work flawlessly in a range of calibers on dozens of cats back in the days. Enjoy the rifle.
I'm certainly liking it so far! There are a lot of possibilities with this cartridge and I've tried to set the rifle up to take advantage of them. I've not tried any A-Square ammo or bullets but if I get hold of some I will. There are a LOT of .510 bullets out there and I'll do my best to try most of them. Right now I'm mostly tinkering with the 570 gr Barnes TSX and next will probably be the 535 TSX and then various 50 BMG bullets. I'll have my ghost ring sights and my scout scope set up for whatever my favorite hunting load is and a standard scope set up for a BMG load. That's the current plan anyway. Thanks for the field report!!! I haven't seen many articles/stories/pics of actual field use of the .500a2 or similar cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Nice rig you have there SR. BTW you can post a group of photos into one post instead of multiple posts with one photo each. After you paste one just place cursor down under the photobucket pathway in your AR post, type a photo description if you wish, then paste another pathway and so on.

I have an early A Square catalogue with a lot of info on their rifles and ammo which I have scanned as a PDF document. PM me with your email if you would like a copy.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Bore shoots are usually incredibly formal affairs with lots of rules such as proper attire, expensive accoutrement, high entrance fees, and picky target scoring. Oh sorry, I was talking about some other game. Bring rifle or three, 20-30 rounds, lunch and prepare to have fun. We shoot Norma photo poster targets, plastic jugs full of water, black dot targets and whatever else looks fun. There will be a new event: who can make the most dramatic explosion of a 5 gal. bucket.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan416:
Big Bore shoots are usually incredibly formal affairs with lots of rules such as proper attire, expensive accoutrement, high entrance fees, and picky target scoring. Oh sorry, I was talking about some other game. Bring rifle or three, 20-30 rounds, lunch and prepare to have fun. We shoot Norma photo poster targets, plastic jugs full of water, black dot targets and whatever else looks fun. There will be a new event: who can make the most dramatic explosion of a 5 gal. bucket.
Yeah I figured it would be a stuffy uptight crowd where tea was sipped with the pinky out. Wink

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Nice rig you have there SR. BTW you can post a group of photos into one post instead of multiple posts with one photo each. After you paste one just place cursor down under the photobucket pathway in your AR post, type a photo description if you wish, then paste another pathway and so on.

I have an early A Square catalogue with a lot of info on their rifles and ammo which I have scanned as a PDF document. PM me with your email if you would like a copy.
Thanks brother! I have the "any shot you want" manual if that's what you mean.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:

Thanks brother! I have the "any shot you want" manual if that's what you mean.

No it's a 16 page brochure called "A-Square Rifles, Ammunition and Bullets" printed over 25 years ago. "Any Shot You Want" has possibly got a lot of the information and photos that are published in the brochure, having not seen Art Alpins ASYW I don't know what is in it.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
It's a loading manual by Arthur Alphin. It has the A-Square family of cartridges as well as other brands. It's really nothing special except that it has the A2 cartridges. It sounds like you have the prequel to it.