Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attaching a red dot Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am working on acquiring and setting up a 458 lott, brno 602 for a ph buddy of mine. I am interested in mounting a red dot on the rifle. What I am thinking about is one of the Holosun titanium, solar, enclosed red dot sights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a Holosun HE507C-GR on my 577NE single shot. Have only used it a little bit. Not hunted with it yet.

So far, so good. It's my first one. I like it's clarity. It has a very clear dot for me. I have bit of a stigmatism but the dot is still very clear and round for me. Rose colour shooting gases makes the dot even clearer. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just put a Holosun on my Whitworth .458, I used a EGW rail. The long rail gives more options for foward position then a weaver style base, and better support.

I'm actually wondering if the rail could be cut off at the back of the receiver ring, just using two screws as I have the holosun over the receiver ring forward of the bolt. Dont know if just two screws are up to the job. But would be a cleaner looking mount for a red dot
`

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I mounted a green dot Single Point sight on my Mauser 404J back in the early 80's. Just used a Weaver bridge mount, two screws into the receiver ring and a single small screw into the flat on the back of the multi-leaf safari sight. Epoxy glued the base and screws. The setup has never moved in the decades since even after swapping out the green dot sight for the Leupold EER scope that is on the 404 now as per image below.

I'm sure with a Holosun sight just two screws into the receiver and cut off the excess rail would be all that's required.
I would definitely epoxy glue the base and screws as I have done with every base I have ever mounted on a rifle. Epoxy glue will melt and brush off without affecting bluing if the base is ever removed in the future.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sight seems very high can you find something that sits lower

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holosun HE507C-GR

I mounted an Aimpoint on my 510. Just screwed a piece of rail to the quarter rib. My fastfire 3 is the backup to the aimpoint and works well too.
I know 2 PH's that are running fastfires on Lotts with no problem. There's a picture of the 510 on my Nyakasanga hunt report: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/3391094172

Posts: 117 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have experience with red dots on pistols. It seems that many people mount the dots pretty far forward, I am not sure why that is. My thought was to mount it at the front scope mount location. Is this a faulty idea
Any help and explanation is greatly appreciated

Posts: 1851 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The beauty of a red dot is that you can mount it where you like it. A gentleman from RSA asked why I mounted my Aimpoint so far forward. I think the 602 is already set up for a scope so mounting there is the obvious choice. If that doesn't work for you then start modifying.

Posts: 117 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLindsay:
I only have experience with red dots on pistols. It seems that many people mount the dots pretty far forward, I am not sure why that is. My thought was to mount it at the front scope mount location. Is this a faulty idea?

I don’t think it’s a faulty idea, I have a CZ 550 in .458 Lott and have a Burris Fast Fire mounted at the front scope mount location, works fine for me.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
That sight seems very high can you find something that sits lower

What sight are you referring too?

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote