Find
Notify
Tools

RWS 10,3x68 Magnum Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Here is the propaganda on the RWS website:

For more than 40 years IWA OutdoorClassics has been regarded as the most important international showcase for hunting and sporting goods, ammunition and accessories, outdoor equipment and safety equipment. Only legitimate trade visitors and dealers have access and can get information about the new products. For this reason, we exclusively present our RWS rifle cartridge novelties here.

News 2017 in the RWS rifle cartridges for hunting:

1. RWS 10.3 x 68 Mag. - The new dimension : Universal cartridge for every hunting opportunity

With the 10.3 x 68 Mag. We present this year a real world novelty. By a modern synthesis of the legendary RWS 68 sleeve length and the traditional Bündnerischen 10,3mm bullet diameter, we have managed to redefine Magnum cartridges completely. The cartridges with a reduced sleeve length of 68 mm form the basis for a pallet of possible bullet weights between 11 g and 26 g.

Depending on the requirements, the power range is between .30-06 and .416 Rem. Thus, the 10.3x68 mag. Covers an active spectrum, suitable for hunting from the marmot to the strong African buffalo.

The RWS 10.3 x 68 Mag. In its element In the new RWS video, the 10.3 x 68 Mag. Shows its full performance during the hunt for a capital keeper. Breathtaking landscapes and spectacular perspectives make this trailer an unforgettable experience. But see for yourself at https://rws-munition.de

The advantages of the RWS 10.3 x 68 Mag. At a glance:

• Cross-Section Plus Plus +
The 10.3 x 68 Mag. And its large cross-section provides up to 81% more stopping effect compared to the conventional center caliber with comparable rebound characteristics. In combination with a modern projectile structure, the effectiveness of this caliber is further increased and can be adapted to any game thickness.

• SMART MAGNUM TM Effect
The 10.3 x 68 Mag redefines comfortable shooting in the Magnum class and extends the range of Magnum cartridges to a whole new dimension. Independent of the speed, the enlarged cross-section of the storey ensures an exceptionally high depth effect in the wild body.

• A caliber for
everything Whether it is a marmot in Austria or a Kaffernbüffel in Africa, the 10.3 x 68 Mag. Is a caliber for everything. In no other caliber are projectile weights of 11 g to 26 g realizable and cover almost every hunting opportunity. No matter whether in the local area or on the foreign hunt.

RWS 10.3 x 68 Mag .: Available bullets

At the market entry, we offer two partial dismantling shells with proven two-core technology: a lead-free and a lead-containing. The lead-based RWS Speed ​​Tip Pro 10.3 x 68 mag. With 18.5 g is one of the latest developments from RWS. It is characterized by its guaranteed stop effect and a high shot power even at long distances. The compact perforation core ensures a safe scraping. It is applied to all shellfish, with best suitability for medium to very strong game.

The RWS EVO Green 10.3 x 68 Mag. With 13.5 g projectile weight offers a lead-free alternative. It is distinguished by its high speed with extended trajectory, a powerful momentary effect and a safe committee. The comparatively low projectile weight is very low backlash. It is applied to light to strong shellfish.

An expansion of the floor selection is already planned.
It's a Magnum, a SmartMagnum TM - so our slogan for the new RWS 10.3 x 68 Mag.

2. RWS SPEED TIP PROFESSIONAL - Now new in the 30's caliber .300 Win. Mag., .30-06, .308 Win.

Last year, we launched SPEED TIP PRO projectile for the Long Range caliber .338 Lapua Magnum. The demand for further calibers is great - so we now extend the 30s caliber: .300 Win. Mag., .30-06 and .308 Win.

The projectile is equally suitable for short and wide shooting distances. Even at a distance of over 300 meters, the SPEED TIP PRO still reliably responds to the .30 calibers and brings enough energy into the target, correspondingly high the shock and stop effect.

For more details about our RWS SPEED TIP PROFESSIONAL projectile click here .

3. RWS EVO GREEN - The clever alternative also now available in caliber 9.3 x 64

Our bleifreies, RWS EVO GREEN partial decomposition floor is growing. From the IWA 2017 onwards, we are offering the projectile in twenty calibers . Newly added and already commercially available is the EVO GREEN in 9.3 x 64 .

The results in the reevaluation tests were exceptionally good. The leadless cartridge shows very good performance over the whole spectrum of the European wilds - from the deer to the heavy boar. The relatively light EVO GREEN projectile of 11.9 g gives the caliber 9,3 x 64 a very fast ballistics, which extends the scope of this caliber again. The normally slightly kickback-intensive caliber is very pleasant in the shot behavior because of the light bullet.

Further details about our RWS EVOLUTION GREEN can be found here .

As a matter of fact, RWS offers two ammunition ammunition ammunition for hunting: RWS HIT and RWS EVOLUTION GREEN. How the two lead-free bullets behave during the hunt and which of the two lead-free top products is the best solution for you, can be found in our RWS video on YouTube. Please have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqB6thJ5hs#t=43

We will keep you up to date. Of course on our FB page RWS Jagdmunition - become a fan now!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey,
Is that boom stick's 400 Karamojo, just shortened by a few mm?
I believe he recommends a .410-caliber bullet.

What is the actual diameter of that 10.3x68mm projectile?

10.3mm = .4055" = .406"

A .410 groove and a .402 bore averages out to .406, and that is a barrel that is scarce.
Ted Williams' batting average in 1941 was .406. Wink

Inquiring minds want to know that bullet diameter!

Riflecrank Internationale Permanente.
Incurable
is spelled the same in French and English. cuckoo

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Hey,
Is that boom stick's 400 Karamojo, just shortened by a few mm?
I believe he recommends a .410-caliber bullet.

What is the actual diameter of that 10.3x68mm projectile?

10.3mm = .4055" = .406"

A .410 groove and a .402 bore averages out to .406, and that is a barrel that is scarce.
Ted Williams' batting average in 1941 was .406. Wink

Inquiring minds want to know that bullet diameter!

Riflecrank Internationale Permanente.
Incurable
is spelled the same in French and English. cuckoo

Original 10,3x60R Swiss they've grabbed the bullets from https://rws-munition.de/filead...lyer_A5_12seiten.pdf is listed in the DEVA manual as 10.54mm /.413"

The 300g Woodleigh made for the .405 Win has been known to be pressed in to service if the 253g RWS can't be found

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don´t know what kind of stuff they smoked when they created that cartridge.
A belted case in .413 caliber.
Maybe that their computers were hacked. killpc

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my theory, just my theory.

There are actually a lot of hunters in Switzerland, and if I was them I'd be pretty tired of the 10,3x60R and it's 1850's ballistics.

I know that the 416 Rem is a fairly popular hunting rifle in Switzerland in those cantons that make you hunt with rifles above .400. But recoil is kind of a problem.

There were already several wildcats based on the 9.3x64, 375 H&H and other cases that do what this thing does, for those Swiss hunter stuck in cantons ( Swiss counties or states depending on your definition) that prohibit anything but calibers over .400 for hunting. They are common enough that several people Collani (and others) had websites about it. I am guessing enough Swiss complained to RWS, and Blaser about the 10,3x60R rifles and the single shot problems to turn the ride. RWS, Blaser and Sauer figured, well if it is good enough for the Swiss then why not sell them to everyone.

So there you have it, my explanation of this weird cartridge.

I am buying one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You sure you would rather have a 10.75 x 68?? in a bolt rifle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
You sure you would rather have a 10.75 x 68?? in a bolt rifle.

10.75x68 is the old Mauser round

10.75x73 (maybe 72) is 404 Jeffery

10.3x60R is 450/400 2.5 inch the old Swiss military round from the 1800s, and the most common caliber for hunting in a lot of Swizerland because of some archaic law. Blaser makes a R93, R8, and K95 barrel in this caliber. Sauer makes a 404 barrel in this caliber. Steyr and others have made rifles in this caliber in bolt actions as a single shot.

10.3x68 is the new .413 bullet RWS round that is similar to the .416 Taylor or .411 KDF Magnum. Has a belt is .413 bullet, and a about the length of a .458 WCF.

So I'd prefer a bolt gun in a that one.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
My Mansion reamer is in the mail as I type.

CIP

http://www.cip-bobp.org/homolo...10-3-x-68-mag-en.pdf

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the CIP drawing:

10.3x68mm Magnum

Bullet diameter maximum = 10.51mm = 0.4138"
Rifling groove diameter minimum = 10.49mm = 0.4130"
Rifling bore diameter minimum = 10.25mm = 0.4035"
Twist = 1:450mm = 1:17.7"
Throat:
PSFB length = 3.70mm = 0.1457"
PSFB diameter = 10.52mm = 0.4142"
Leade semi-angle: 1*30'00"

Pmax = 4400 bar = ~ 63,800 psi
Brass case maximum length = 68.32mm = 2.690"

It is the .413/.375 H&H 2.69-Inch Magnum.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
And Mr Manson has offered a couple of likely candidates to me that can make up dies from his drawings.
It is a process that still needs a barrel but I am waiting on answers to come,thanks RIP

Onya David.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I can't help but think that other than hard to find factory ammo, the 400 Karamojo is a better option. Would you use the .409" to 411" bullets in this?
To make a 400 Karamojo, you just need to rebore a 375HH and use standard 400 bullets.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
No,I want the versatility of the 10.3 x 68

(without knowing how versatile your suggested one is)

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Whatever floats your boat. It's a hobby. What flexibility are you referring to with the 10,3x68? The 400 Caramojo could shoot light pistol bullets or 300 grain 405 Win bullets or regular 400 rifle bullets up to 400 grains. Very similar. Close to the 40 BSA and 400 Griffin and Howe.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
mmm, sort of resembles a belted .405 WCF.

Which shoots bullets from 210 - 300- 400 grains just fine. Standard and available bullets too.

Another cartridge solution to a non problem?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The 405 Win is great. The limiting factors are the max PSI and the rim. You can shoot 400 grain bullets best in a single shot if you don't mind the restraint of one at a time. The ubiquitous nature of the 375 HH case & guns and ease of conversion/function make the 400 Karamojo an intriguing option. The 400 Karamojo could shoot the 400 grain bullets at 2300 fps and that is not an option for the 405 win. This is all for fun since I don't think many of us are limited to one rifle and a subsistence hunter gatherer life. If this or that cart tickles you all the right ways, have at it and have fun Smiler

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick
Agreed and the superiority of the 400 Karamojo.

However, among all the RWS marketing BS, did they state the velocity of a 400 grain bullet?

I looked, but did not see actual energy or velocity data.

Just curious.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
holycow
Those photopucker photos of the .400 Karamojo from my account are still showing up here?
Must be grandfathered in from before Photobucket became photopucker.

If I did not have a .395 H&H already (a real treasure, Pre-'64 M70)
I would have been tempted by boomstick's .410/.375 H&H "Karamojo."
I have a lifetime supply of .395 bullets.
Any forensic analysis revealing use of a .395-caliber bullet in the crime will narrow the suspect pool quite handily.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Boom Stick
Agreed and the superiority of the 400 Karamojo.

However, among all the RWS marketing BS, did they state the velocity of a 400 grain bullet?

I looked, but did not see actual energy or velocity data.

Just curious.

I only see 208 and 286 gr bullets: https://rws-munition.de/filead...lyer_A5_12seiten.pdf

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I can only see their paragraph below.
So the performance range is the answer I suppose.

Quote:
they created the basis of a very balanced, reliable cartridge with a unique range of possible bullet weights between 11 g and 26 g. Depending on the requirements, its performance range lies between a 30-06 Spring. and a .416 Rem. Moreover, it can be shot with ease according to the bullet weight.EQ

And another.

Quote:

According to the manufacturer, depending on the load its performance can be similar to .30-06 Springfield and all the way up to .416 Remington Magnum.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
4400 fpe for the 285gr @ 2657 FPS

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Re sourcing a barrel Lothar Walther do as is below.
Others tell me different!

Latest development from a RUAG spokesman is as per below.

Only the chamber and of course the “cone” from the chamber (green section) into the rifling is different, but this is no problem cause your gunsmith has to cut this part anyway especially for you (green section).

So a complete barrel blank with only the rifling in 10,3mm (red section) without chamber would suit your needs, if your gunsmith is able to cut the chamber.

The 10,3x60R and 10,3x68Mag use also the same bullets.

The background of the development of the 10,3x68Mag was to use the already available rifling tools, barrel blanks and bullets of the 10,3x60R but to create a more powerful caliber with less bullet drop.

So this is why only the chamber eg, case of the 10,3x68Mag is different to the old 10,3x60R.

file:///C:/Users/jsg/Downloads/10-3-x-60R-en.pdf

file:///C:/Users/jsg/Downloads/10-3-x-68-mag-en.pdf

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, we really need one of those, it will be the gun of the year and soon knock out the 375, 30-06 7x57 and a host of others..NOT! Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Well you dont need to worry Ray seeing as you`ll never have one,rest easy and dream of your own things.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am fond of the 10.75x68, had a few of them over the years, Used them on buffalo and PG up to eland, and no problems at all with todays bullets and the added velocity of a handload..A magazine rifle will holdl 3 down, but can be modified to hold 4 and with a drop box will hold 6 down and one on top..

Its a caliber that's been terribly overlooked IMO and can be made in a 8.5 to 9 lb shootable rifle..that will duplicate factory 404 ammo. and come pretty close to duplicating a 404 handload..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I am fond of the 10.75x68, had a few of them over the years, Used them on buffalo and PG up to eland, and no problems at all with todays bullets and the added velocity of a handload..A magazine rifle will holdl 3 down, but can be modified to hold 4 and with a drop box will hold 6 down and one on top..

Its a caliber that's been terribly overlooked IMO and can be made in a 8.5 to 9 lb shootable rifle..that will duplicate factory 404 ammo. and come pretty close to duplicating a 404 handload..

Pondoro wasnt too enamoured with that particular calibre it seems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am all for new calibers.

But just remember when you buy one always buy enough brass to last at least one life time.

Because many of them are not around long.

And a lot of the companies don't care if you can get ammo for them after they are dropped.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
While our nation has nominally been metric for 40 years or so, I'm afraid most shooters here and the US think in avoirdupois (an ironically French-sounding word for Anglo-imperial weights), Big Wonderful Wyoming. And while we could all wade through your figures, you might find greater engagement in your proposition were you to do it for us.

I realise also that subtlety can be lost in translation - but where do the shellfish fit in?

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I realise also that subtlety can be lost in translation - but where do the shellfish fit in?
Smiler

+ 1

But I have already stated that the only folks that need another new caliber are the ammo and gun manufacturers, not the hunter.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I have already stated that the only folks that need another new caliber are the ammo and gun manufacturers, not the hunter.

Could that have been said when the .338 Lap was invented? A real success story for sure.