THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Sako 85 Brown Bear in 450 Rigby....Anybody shooting one??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 85 Brown Bear in 450 Rigby....Anybody shooting one?? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently found a cheap Sako 85 Brown Bear in 450 Rigby. It comes with 18 rounds, because the current/original owner shot it twice, then decided he didn't want it anymore.

I recall some people were claiming to have ejection issues with big caliber Sako 85's that were scoped.

Is this a real problem??

Thanks!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that has one in .500 Jeffery. I’ll ask him if he has had ejection issues.
I thought it was mainly the standard .30/06 length action that caused problems.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He said he doesn’t have a scope on his .500 but that cases still get dinged up on the action when ejected.
I have a 75 in .375 that doesn’t suffer any problems.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Do a google search on "Sako ejection problems" and you'll see there is a problem. Seems the problem is more pronounced in the longer (06, 270, 7mag) length actions than the short actions. Sako put the ejector in the six o'clock position on this action. Ejected rounds tend to travel straight up and hit the scope which causes them to fall back into the action jamming things up.

A friend of mine bought a new Sako 85 in 7mm Rem. mag. He used one inch Sako ring mounts with a 3.5x10x40 Leupold scope. He had the problem. Not every shot but often enough to be a real problem. Ejected rounds hit the scope and fell back into the action frequently. Happened often enough that it scratched the finish on the scope. Beretta won't do anything to correct this design deficiency. They just told him to try a different ring/scope combination.

He wound up selling the rifle. Although I really like the older Sako's I'd recommend you look elsewhere, especially if you have any intention of using the rifle for dangerous game hunting.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a real problem.
How a company like Sako could make such a mistake is hard to imagine.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, for a company with such a big reputation you wonder if they sometimes design with one hand on the vodka bottle. The one I could never understand was when they had the a gas port venting into the left lug runway, which still had no coverage from the bolt shroud.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a real problem. How a company like Sako could make such a mistake is hard to imagine.

What's even worse is they refuse to acknowledge the problem exists and won't due anything to correct their mistake.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I refuse to use sakos or tikkas in any dangerous situation for this reason. I have gotten rid of everyone except a super accurate tikka I used for sheep hunting. It will still fail to eject properly and will sometimes throw a case back into ejection port. Stick with Mauser claw or double

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a brown bear in 450 Rigby

and no ejection problem I have the low optilock rings whit a Swarovski and it does not hit the scope and if it did I was told to use medium rings
I have tape a ruler on the receiver to see if it would eject and it did but hit the ruler
my brass are Norma

Posts: 121 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Kodiak .375H&H (scoped) and a Brown Bear .500J (unscoped) and never had any ejection issues with either, and each one killed a lot of buffalo up close.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forgot to mention
I had a kodiak in 375 before I traded it for the brown bear 450 and no ejection problem with the Swarovski mounted on it same ring optilock low.....
on both I tried slow feeding fast and same A ok

Posts: 121 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 January 2020Reply With Quote