THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    CZ 602 ZKK potential rebore

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 602 ZKK potential rebore Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just purchased a CZ 602 ZKK that has been rebarreled and chambered in 416 Taylor. First I thought all 602s were BRNO, undoubtedly I am wrong. I purchased this rifle to make a 500 A2 for a PH buddy of mine. It has a bull barrel on it and a friend mentioned just reboring it and rechambering. Any advice on this? Thanks for the help

Posts: 1851 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
All ZKKs since 1966 are NOT made in Brno.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Mike - I would price it.

My guess is that it would be less expensive simply to rebarrel it.

Nice project!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that a rebore will run you around 3-350. A rebarrel, I would guess, would be about 2-3 times that. Consider you have to buy a barrel, pay a gunsmith to install it, if you want open sights you have to add those plus installation cost, and then bluing, or whatever finish you choose, the barrel. Also consider that if your current barrel is not a "standard" contour, you will have to pay extra for custom contour of new barrel, or maybe end up with a very thick glass bedding, or having to open up current stock to fit a new barrel. If you want bluing to match, then you will have to refinish the rest of the rifle as well. Also I would bet the turnaround time is far less for a rebore versus rebarrel.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who does re-bores these days?

Posts: 1213 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J E S at www.35caliber.com among others I am sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess would be wrong. J E S is a bargain.

I wonder why they only rebore to increased bore diameters?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Haven't figured out a way to shrink them yet counseler! Big Grin

Posts: 1128 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
quote:

Haven't figured out a way to shrink them yet counseler! Big Grin

Huh? One can bore out enough to put in a liner for the same or a smaller caliber. It is (or at least used to be) done all the time.

I'm just not sure why J E S doesn't seem to want to do it.

I guess it's easier for them just to rebore than to re-line.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry sounded funny. I always figured a rebore was to larger diameter, liner to restore a junk barrel.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right. Re-boring is not re-lining.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apart from the cost side there are other issues. I would imagine the main reason one opts to rebore rather than rebarrel is if the barrel has unique features that you’d like to retain, eg open sights, quarter rib, banded sling swivel, markings or other features.

In your specific case you’re planning to upgrade to 500A2 and that means you will want to end up with a much heavier rifle. Typically for a caliber like this you would probably end up in the 10-12lbs range (empty rifle and no scope), depending on your recoil tolerance.

I expect that alone would likely mean a rebarrel in your case and this way you specify the profile and length to reach the weight and handling characteristics you’re after.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Ah but that's a slippery slope. If the barrel contour is different now you've added a bedding job in addition to having the sights removed and installed. It adds up quickly

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, on a classic rifle, there may be barrel markings, profiles, or other characteristics that would be lost with a rebarrel....think Jeffery, Westley Richards, Griffin & Howe, etc.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You cannot reline a high pressure center fire cartridge barrel and no gunsmith will do that anyway. Black pewter, 22s, etc; sure.
And Reboring; I have it done for special contours as mentioned above, but if you want a quality bore, you need a new barrel.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Yes, on a classic rifle, there may be barrel markings, profiles, or other characteristics that would be lost with a rebarrel....think Jeffery, Westley Richards, Griffin & Howe, etc.

YOU LEFT OUT MOSSBERG!!! Roll Eyes Eeker archer

Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You cannot reline a high pressure center fire cartridge barrel and no gunsmith will do that anyway. Black pewter, 22s, etc; sure.
And Reboring; I have it done for special contours as mentioned above, but if you want a quality bore, you need a new barrel.

dpcd could you please tell us why this is so, I always wondered why only up to 32/20 44/00 or so ?

I just had a buddy of mine bore out & reline a Lee Speed 303 Brit barrel & line it with a Bren or Vickers machine gun barrel, I haven't shot it a lot yet but I am curious ?

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
YOU LEFT OUT MOSSBERG!!! Roll Eyes Eeker archer

Butchloc would be incensed at my omission!

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote