THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Encore in 375 h&h anyone shoot one ? Need brass too

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore in 375 h&h anyone shoot one ? Need brass too Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting a 375 h&h encore .
I have a ton of 375 bullets but no brass .
Does anyone have one and how hard does it kick ? It's gotta be light for a 375 .
I have 416 rem mags in bolt guns but
I shot a 375 H&h in ruger 1 and dang it kicked bad .I have a bunch of 270 grain hornady bullets and maybe a few 235 grain speer bullets and a few 220 gr8 hornady .Are these rifles accurate I have heard encores are not very accurate .I pribally need a new stock too mine is the light plastic one ! I know some one
On here probally had one .I wanted a
405 Winchester encore barrel but couldn't find one .

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Could be just the way I am put together, however, I find the Encore to be very uncomfortable to shoot because the comb is very high and wacks me in the cheek. I would rather shoot a Winchester 70 in .458 than an Encore in 30-06.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking .This thing would need a muzzle brake to be able to
Shoot it .My little 357 rem maximum kicks pretty good in the contender carbine .I may change my mind on this trade of barrels .I would have to shoot it with reduced loads to be able to shoot it .

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found the opposite. The Encore in 375 HH is pretty easy to shoot. It's around 8-8.5 lbs with scope. I can't imagine needing a muzzle brake on it. You can always shoot reduced loads if you want.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a guy here locally I knew that had an Encore barrel in 375 H&H. His first time pulling the trigger opened up a gash on his brow that required a few stitches. He promptly put it up for sale after that. I don't know what scope he had on it but I do know up to that point he said he had never shot anything larger than a 270Win.

I don't find my 280AI objectionable when shooting it. I do believe the Encore does have a little more straight back recoil than other rifles I've shot though.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Who told you they don't shoot well or that they kick too much? Man, if the comb is too high I have files, rasps, and sand paper. I have shot Contenders since 71 and Encores since they came out. I have a contender 45-70 pistol that isn't that bad to shoot! I have a 1905 Steyr in 9X56mm and as light as it is it isn't that bad with the 250 gr bullets I shoot. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a TC Encore in 50-110, Custom chambered to true .500 cal. Shoots 450 gr bullet at 2000 fps. Also 500 S&W and 45-70.

Simple and Obvious Tips,
-Relax. let it rock you back. squeeze the trigger so that it kinda surprises you when it goes off.
-Hold rifle firmly and pull it back into your shoulder with both hands.
Use scope with 4"+ eye relief.
-Install something like a Limbsaver Nitro recoil pad. Wider pad makes a big difference.
-Weight forend with 1/2 lb of epoxy lead shot. ( people don't know how nice a rifle shoots/ handles with some extra weight up front, not in the butt.)
I use this tips when I shoot my H&R Handi Rifle 577 NE. They work.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If all else fails go with the custom stock route. thats what i ended up doing on the last one i had in 416JDJ

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Encore with many barrels one of
which is a 416 Rigby with long eye relief
scope. Not pleasant off the bench but standing or off sticks is OK. About 10 rounds of 400 gr. bullets at 2,400 fps is all I want at one time. Good luck with a 375. It should be a pussycat if you use 270 gr. bullets at about 2,500. Good shooting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave James, Good idea. That's what I do. One way is to modify to shape, a used factory stock with any type of epoxy. Shape it and paint it. Lots of nice camo rattler can spray paints these days.

Another way is to buy a nice blank of walnut or laminated baltic birch and do the oil finish treatment.

There are also nice and affordable custom stocks on the market. I got a High Plains one and really like the design.

Lately I have used Laminated plywood from Spectra ply. I make my stock/comb high/ straight like a target stock so that the recoil comes straight back. ( Some people don't like that) This also means that you can mount a scope high so you can get at the hammer easily.
I use a big fat wide Pachmeyer of Limbsaver Nitro recoil pad and make it wider than normal, for the heavy kickers. I mount it 1/4 inch to the right which gives the stock a "cast-off" feel.

There are more tips if anyone is interested. A router table, Table saw and a narrow belt sander is very helpful. On my first one I thought it would be hard to make but it is not bad at all. They look cool, for a TC Encore, and you can make them fit like a glove. A 375HH can be quite manageable to shoot in an Encore with the right stock.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Gentleman just posted some brass in the classifieds

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote