New
Find
Notify
Tools

378WM with Muzzle Brake Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted
Was at the range yesterday at the bench next to a guy shooting a long range custom rig in 378 Weatherby Magnum. Had a long stainless fluted barrel with a tank type muzzle brake on the end.
Man alive every time the owner touched a shot off that thing sent a shock wave through the covered shooting stands like nothing I have experienced before.
I had to keep watching and stand up and move 10 or more metres well back from him every-time he was going to fire.
Despite the muzzle brake the rig still seemed to recoil hard.
I was shooting my 7mmWSM X-Bolt with a magnum suppressor which has a built in stainless steel brake. Just a crack like a 22 Magnum and recoil of a 7mm08.

I couldn't see any fun in the 378WM.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of BengalBullets
posted Hide Post
As a younger and less reflective man, I made the mistake of shooting my old .378 prone from a gravel lot with the Weatherby Accubrake installed. That was a mistake I only made once. From the bench it's quite a lively caliber (worse than the .460 in my opinion--likely due to the lighter barrel contour), but the rifles are very accurate, at least in my experience.

Posts: 7 | Location: Halsey, Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzzle breaks are far worst for those off to the side then the shooter.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I hate muzzle brakes, if you can't handle the recoil without one, shoot a lighter recoiling caliber imo.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 378 Wby is an incredible round. It shoots as flat as a 22-250, except with 270gr bullets.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To each his own, if you can improve your shooting with one then have at it, but learn how and when to shoot it, use discretion..a verbal warning, give out ear plugs to others with you..Id rather see clean kills than listen to the bull shit about them..I see a lot of professional guides the indigenus such as Eskimos and Indians in NA and Africans using them these days. The day of macho macho man has passed, and never amounted to much in the first place!! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Be that as it may, Ray. I personally won't hunt with anyone, including a guide that uses one. They are obnoxious as hell on the range as well. I can still hear things and want to keep it that way ... To each his own.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
speak up sonny... you can still hear?
motorcycles, shotguns, pickup trucks, and construction equipment "robbed me", even with hearing protection

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I had big Grade 5 earmuffs on, it was not so much noise being the issue, it was the blast shockwave that was extremely uncomfortable. I would say nearby shooters would just about have their eardrums blown if not wearing good earmuffs.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Last time I was at the Fort Carson range, about 4 months ago a guy next to me had a 300 Win Mag with brake. I gave up my bench and waited for another one, and I was shooting my 500 Jeff lol You're right about the blast wave, I had foamies and ear muffs in but it still was zero fun shooting next to him.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your complaint is with the guy next to you not the devise..

As to blast,I have seen several brakes that were vented inproperly that directed the gas in the wrong direction, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing...

BTW I don;t use brakes, as I never really needed them, but the ones I have tried worked well and bothered me not at all..I think that stuff would come to pass if we legislated a $5.00 fine for whining..Ever been to a rock concert or a country music gig or around a bunch of bikers and a million other sound problems, there everywhere there everywhere! I mighgt also add that I lost my hearing before the brake, started with a 25-35 and ended with a 760 wby that tended to blow your ear protectors off! Roll Eyes

Then the internet created the fabled PH or guide that turned down a $40,000 to $100,000 dollar hunt by refusing a muzzle brake..He either went out of business or ended up selling shoes in Dar es Salaam, his name was numb nuts as I recall!

what a croc!! BOOM

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Lol Ray! What about the people whining my 378 WM kicks too much !

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
I hate muzzle brakes, if you can't handle the recoil without one, shoot a lighter recoiling caliber imo.

Absolutely tu2

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably 1/2 the people shooting a ranges these days are shooting AR's. About 1/2 of those have muzzle brakes and the others just flash suppressors.
I cannot figure out why you need a muzzle brake on a gas operated 223? Kicks about like a 22 LR?
A 16" AR with a muzzle brake is loud as SH--T if you are next to it.
I typically move. If you are on their right side you get pelted with hot brass as well.

I have an AR but no brake or flash suppressor, 18" barrel and I shoot it at my farm. Pelt the grass and dirt with the brass.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Probably 1/2 the people shooting a ranges these days are shooting AR's. About 1/2 of those have muzzle brakes and the others just flash suppressors.
I cannot figure out why you need a muzzle brake on a gas operated 223? Kicks about like a 22 LR?
A 16" AR with a muzzle brake is loud as SH--T if you are next to it.

Louder still is when it's on a 10.5" barreled AR pistol. I wanted to pack up and go home.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way back in the 70's there was a local dude that had a German Weatherby in 378 WM . His fall time job was a grizzly bear guide working out of Bella Coola BC . He had the barrel shorted to 18 1/2" had very plain simple iron sights installed and he shoot very warm handload 300gr Nolser PT . Let me tell you that rifle kick the snot out you !!!!!!

Posts: 477 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I believe it! Art Alphin, one of the developers of the 500 A2, said he shot one once and wouldn't do it again lol!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think my 378 Wby recoils that bad and it doesn't wear a brake. It's certainly stout, but still quite manageable.

I also have a 7.5 pound Ruger #1 in 450 Nitro and that thing really puts the hammer to me. About 3 shots is all I can handle without a break. That's with 500's at 2400fps.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't put words in my mouth, I used a 404, 416 Rem, 375, 9.3x62 450-400s and my big boy was a .470 and I liked it and used it on buff for awhile but Butch traded me another 450-400..I useds lesser calibers also..

I have no need for the big blasters, but I believe each hunter has that option and should not be shamed for his choice, getting too close to gun control and will bite the nay sayers in the ass, the liberals will find that weakness..Just my two bits..Nor have I found muzzle brakes all that bothersome, God gave me fingers and the since to stick'um in my ears when shot are fired in the bush..or the buds on a string around my neck..give it a try..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went away from brakes a long time ago myself and also never had time for short barrels either. A brake blasts a lot, especially to the side, but a short barrel isnt very pleasant either. Fashion seems to be ever shortening barrels these days. Too many magazine articles I think about the benefits of carbines, ultralight guns or guys wanting to look "operator" with their 223 of 308 . Then the overweight client who can barely get his own bulk in and out of a jeep- trust me fella, the extra 4" of barrel is not the problem here.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRumore:

I also have a 7.5 pound Ruger #1 in 450 Nitro and that thing really puts the hammer to me. About 3 shots is all I can handle without a break. That's with 500's at 2400fps.

Tony

About 8 shots and I start to get a headache

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You ain't heard or felt nothin' until you've heard the blast and felt the shock wave from a hot-loaded .500 S&W Magnum revolver with its integral muzzle brake fired on a 50 foot indoor range! Eeker

I swear it's worse than any rifle I have ever fired, with or without a muzzle brake, and I have fired some big ones.

But all the same, it sure is fun! In moderation, of course. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I regularly shoot a 378 with a brake and Un braked. It’s a lot of gun—but manageable. Anytime you burn 100 grains of powder at a time—-wait for the concussion. The worst offender per pound is most of the ARs at the range.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
You ain't heard or felt nothin' until you've heard the blast and felt the shock wave from a hot-loaded .500 S&W Magnum revolver with its integral muzzle brake fired on a 50 foot indoor range! Eeker

I swear it's worse than any rifle I have ever fired, with or without a muzzle brake, and I have fired some big ones.

But all the same, it sure is fun! In moderation, of course. Big Grin

I've a 460 S&W with a 5" barrel that makes me feel like I've been punched in the mouth every time I pull the trigger. One can literally feel the heat of the blast on each trigger pull. Disaster of a purchase. I don't have the gall the actually sell it to another human being....

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Brandon,

Shoot some .45 Colt ammo outa it! Smiler

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:

I've a 460 S&W with a 5" barrel that makes me feel like I've been punched in the mouth every time I pull the trigger. One can literally feel the heat of the blast on each trigger pull. Disaster of a purchase. I don't have the gall the actually sell it to another human being....

yuck

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
The 378 Wby is an incredible round. It shoots as flat as a 22-250, except with 270gr bullets.

Yes she does! Love my 378 Bee!

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
378 Bee

What is a 378 Bee?

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by atmtc:
quote:
378 Bee

What is a 378 Bee?

As in WeatherBEE.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's recycling----Look at them POWDER JUGS!

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by atmtc:
quote:
378 Bee

What is a 378 Bee?

See below

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line, its your hunt, use the gun you want and suits you with whatever, such as a brake, scope or whatever, use descretion and give your guide a pair of plugs and surly he will stand behind you and not to one side..If he doesn't know that find another outfitter..Make all such things clear before you book..

I stumbled upon this: shoot a 460 Wby for awhile, then hunt with a 300 Wby and the 300 is suddenly a babys caress. Shoot a gun with a brake for awhile, then start taking the brake off and that also works...What is BS is shooting a lesser gun and working up to a big bore, whoever came up with that old worn out statement should be hornswaggled, gilflurted and disarmed. stir

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

BTW I don;t use brakes, as I never really needed them, but the ones I have tried worked well and bothered me not at all..I think that stuff would come to pass if we legislated a $5.00 fine for whining..Ever been to a rock concert or a country music gig or around a bunch of bikers and a million other sound problems, there everywhere there everywhere! I mighgt also add that I lost my hearing before the brake, started with a 25-35 and ended with a [QUOTE]Originally posted by Atkinson:
I guess I'm forturnate, none of mine change POI with or without the brake. None ever have. Today i only use a brake of the worst of kickers like a 458 Lott or up. The brake is what taught me to shoot the really big bores. I still love them for benchwork.

Ray,

I sure have a hard time understanding your whether you love brakes and use them on a lot of your rifles, or if you never use them and just promote them for the recoil shy. Your posts on brakes are confusing because they seem to give conflicting information.

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

After all my many years of getting the crap beat out of me with heavy rifles, and losing a good deal of my hearing (not that I mind my quite world)and a heavy dose of Bursitas in my neck and shoulders, I have been using a brake for the last year as it came with my Ruger Africans in .338 and 9.3, and I love that sucker (brake)..I also got a dubber to screw on the barrel to make it shoot to the same POI with or without a brake, and I got a thread protector for when I don't use the brake, all came with the new package, that many are whinging about!! rotflmo I used the brake for bench shooting and sighting in, and tossed the dubber on both guns as the guns shoot to the same POI with or without the brake or he dubber..When I hunt I have some foam ear plugs on a string around my neck, that I normally forget to use when the animal pops up.. Roll Eyes and I find myself using the brake when hunting as I am usually alone when I see the animals, if not I lend the observer, be he hunting partner, or family member with new set of pretty foam ear plugs. With age comes wisdom and times change, no smart ass replys please. rotflmo

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
horse horse horse

Hip