THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Custom 416 Rem - Recommendations for barrel and open sights

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 416 Rem - Recommendations for barrel and open sights Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you were building a custom 416 Rem, what brand of barrel and contour/muzzle diameter would you recommend?

Also, any reason not to repurpose the take off iron sights from a Winchester safari express? Who makes better open sights?

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The sights would have to work with the stock and fit you are looking for.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex, the Winchester sights would be fine, depending on what you like. I prefer square rear notches and blade front sights, due to familiarity with them on my handguns. I'd check out the NECG (New England Custom Guns) for their wide selection of safari sights.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Not being a jerk - what do YOU want in this? are you a recoil sponge, able to shoot soda straw big bore, or more normal, or, frankly, do you need an extra heavy rig?

winchester go it right, other than bedding, on the safari express rifles - i feel the barrel is too heavy on them, but are highly accurate rifles - a 416 rem m70 was my first legit "elephant rifle" and it's been big bore madness ever sense

to answer your question, for me
1: barrel - as light as the manf will make it
2: winchester sights are good, necg are nice, too -
3: add a barrel band sling mount
4: for a 416 rem, (or 416 ruger) length should be between 18 and 23 - it's a preference thing

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
If you are building a true custom and want island rear sights and a barrel band front sight I would look at NECG. I have them on a number of customs and like them. Some custom gunmakers like Duane Wiebe will fashion their own which work well too... depends on the builder.

Barrel, I would do a Lilja or Kreiger at 4 or 5 contour and 24 or 25 inches in length, heavier I know, and longer. But I am 6'3" and like those dimensions personally. And that's what a custom is... what YOU want.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bobbed my .416 barrel from 24 to 22 inches; you don't need a long barrel to get acceptable velocities.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is the original Model 70 24"pipe.
I had a NECG barrel band Front sight sweated on.
I removed the island rear sight.
I had a spring loaded pop up ghost ring on the rear of my Talley quick release scope base (I believe Brockman provided it). I have that product on three of my rifles (416 Rem, 375 H&H, 375 Weatherby).
IMO: The ghost ring is more accurate at distance (longer sighting radius). Much better for aging eyes as you only have to focus on two points (the front sight and the target. Your eye naturally centers the ghost ring in the rear.
No question;Quarter ribs are art on a rifle.
I like the clean mid section on the pipe.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Barrel twist should be 1 in 12 for best bullet stabilization and straight line penetration.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Douglas barrels, Only; and NECG sights; 3 leaf rear and banded front; mostly for looks but they work too. Length; I use 25 inches and most guys want that. Whatever you want.
Barrel band sling mount.
Douglas makes the best barrels on the market, and when you consider quality, response to custom orders, and friendly staff, no reason to use any other. Call Stan.

Posts: 17103 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Barrel twist should be 1 in 12 for best bullet stabilization and straight line penetration.

Especially if using heavy monometals.
George Hoffman, the one man most responsible for the revival of the .416-caliber,
opined that 1:12" twist would be best, though he had used 1:14" on all of his .416 Hoffman rifles.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Winchester Safari Express came equipped with a NECG rear sight. I replaced the stock sight with the see through express sight insert, and I really like it. The link shows you options that will fit.

https://www.newenglandcustomgu...products.php?cat=336

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I have NECG on all my big bores.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A control feed Win. or a Mauser, a Lothar Walthar barrel, barrel band front sight 3/32 Ivory bead or flame red if you prefer all from NECG or Brownells, barrel band swivel, island rear sight with one standing and one down, at some point with a scope you might want to file te one standing down???better yet a quarter rib would be nice...Best but not particularly needed is a LW barrel with the sights and swivel intregal cut with the barrel, but that's expensive and a choice only you can make..Just the usual options and up to you.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What’s the minimum shank length you would do on a 416 Rem? I’ve got a pre cut stock blank with a pretty narrow barrel channel, and I’m trying to figure out if it could work for a big bore.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Re-barreled Zastava LKM70 375 H&H full stock carbine with 1:14 416 RM Sako barrel. Zastava open sights installed (aesthetics/optional use). About 80 fps muzzle speed reduction from 24" to 20" barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree a short fat 20" barrel at .620 at the muzzle or a longer slimmer 26" barrel at .600 of about the same weight is a choice most can live with depending on your preference, loss of velocity in a big bore within reason has little if any effect on its killing power or range from a hunting standpoint, 99% of your shots will be under 100 yards in Africa, somewhat longer maybe even 300 yards in Alaska. The .416 is a fine caliber at 300 yard ranging.

I let feel and balance be my guide, as that differers from one to another..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are yoing to scope it? If not, remove the rear sight and put a Skinner aperture sight on. Faster and more accurate.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson,
You sure about that ?
What you are recommending is about a no. 3 sporter contour for a 26" barrel, going by the Douglas scheme,
and most other barrel makers' schemes.
And a barrel that had 0.620" muzzle diameter when cut back to 20" would be even skinnier contour than that !
They get fatter when you shorten them, about 0.010" diameter increase for each inch of length decrease in the straight-taper portion of a sporter.
IMHO, no. 4 sporter contour is the lightest you should use on a .416.
About 0.670" muzzle diameter should be a happy minimum muzzle diameter for a .416 whatever the barrel length from 20" to 26", using a standard sporter contour.
No. 3 sporter contour is perfect for a featherweight .375.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What’s the minimum straight taper length of the barrel coming out of the receiver that’s needed for a 416?

Is 1.5 inches enough? Maybe 2 inches?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like longish barrels. I'd top it with a Z6i Swaro 1-6 and you'll never need your irons. Crank it down to 1 power and turn on the lights and you have a red dot. Faster than irons, especially for old eyes.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rip,
Just talking in generalities in that given a 26 inch tube on a #4 or #5, I like the #4 and cutting it off to 20 to 22 inches, then mic the crown if one feels the need..Im not too tech on that end and just go with feel that suits me! wave I wasn't even aware that a #3 came in 26 inch barrel length!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120