THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What's the most ridiculous thing you have ever shot with a big bore?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the most ridiculous thing you have ever shot with a big bore? Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted
I am pretty sure squirrels will be tops on the list but lets see what's out there

For me a Jack wabbit and squirrel with a 375 HH and a squirrel with a 458 win.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
A turtle with a 416 rigby, Bullfrog with a 505 gibbs, shot the back of a carp with a 338 win mag, that was pretty cool, even though it not a big bore Roll Eyes

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Like many people I've shot tons of ground squirrels with big bores up to and including the .460 Wby. Maybe one or two with the .470NE, I don't recall.

If "rediculous" takes in bullet weight compared to critter weight I did pretty well with a 50 gr. HP on a grasshopper at 100 yards one time.

The funniest one was one time in college the professor wanted us to do museum mounts of small animals and I told him I'd bring in a chipmunk. I had a few shot capsules for my .44 Desert Eagle, but I hadn't bothered to mention to my hunting clients what I was doing. One day after a morning hunt I spotted a chipmunk and took off running after it with the Desert Eagle in hand... scared my clients half to death, they thought I'd lost it. Got it too, but it took me two shots. Luckily it didn't charge because I only had two shot capsules.

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
dragon flies 458 lott and a small pond loads of fun

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prairie dogs with 505 Gibbs

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
small rat with a .44 mag...does that count? Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
My chronograph.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
My chronograph.

I got such a chuckle out of that. I was developing loads for a 300 win, my wife was shooting with me. I handed her the 300 to try a shot (just before magnumitus bit her). I told her to be mindful of the skyskreens on the chrony and handed her the rifle. She setup her shot, about 5 of us watching to see how she did, and she fired. Half of the range erupted in laughter, she looked up half dazed and wondered why everybody was laughing. I pointed to the chrony as it was blinking ERROR, ERROR, ERROR. She missed the skyscreen and drilled the chrony right through both of the sensors. Evidently I should have been more specific. I now know a 300 win makes a good stopping rifle for charging chronys.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
Like many people I've shot tons of ground squirrels with big bores up to and including the .460 Wby. Maybe one or two with the .470NE, I don't recall.

If "rediculous" takes in bullet weight compared to critter weight I did pretty well with a 50 gr. HP on a grasshopper at 100 yards one time.

The funniest one was one time in college the professor wanted us to do museum mounts of small animals and I told him I'd bring in a chipmunk. I had a few shot capsules for my .44 Desert Eagle, but I hadn't bothered to mention to my hunting clients what I was doing. One day after a morning hunt I spotted a chipmunk and took off running after it with the Desert Eagle in hand... scared my clients half to death, they thought I'd lost it. Got it too, but it took me two shots. Luckily it didn't charge because I only had two shot capsules.

Somehow I could see you doing that Smiler I still remember our trip out when my wife pierced the ear of a jackrabbit with her 338. If you happen to see a jackrabbit with holy ears, snap a pic I'll tell her its hers. Oh, and lets not forget the squirrel and her 338. This year may be off on pig for her, evidently she has the urge to procreate and may be in the too woddley state to chase pigs in the fall. We shall see.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gopher at 120 yds w/ a friends 450 Dakota Mag.
It was wrong.

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is off thread, but some of you were talking about things your wifes have shot. So, let's see we are set up on a ridge line and I have my electroinc varmet call set up with a critter gitter decoy. I've made a couple of calls and notice her raise the rifle then shoot. She then reloaded and shot again. I wispered, Well did you get it? She looks over at me with a strange look and says "its still moving". Oh Shit, she has put to rounds into my decoy!! Those things are pretty tough. She could bring down to hits from a 22 mag. I'm just glad she wasn't shooting her 375. JC

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
My old computer with a .600Ok! It died Hard!-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have killed flies at 50 yards with a .22.

But I have to say I like Rob's style much better.

I have never owned a computer that I didn't want to shoot at least once every day.

Thank God Elvis died before PCs became so common - or they would be an endangered species!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elephant with a 45-70. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
45-120 "Nitro" on a possum. It was sooo much carnage.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot an old riding lawnmower with my .458 Lott, it was indeed "enough gun"

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"-Carl Sagan

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
A copperhead with a 458 Lott.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
A computer montior with a dead salmon out of a 3" air cannon. The plastic case remained intact but the screen and salmon were pretty much a mish mash of salmon burger and glass.

A buddy and I were devote fans of the show "Junkyard Wars" and after the pumpkin chunkin' episode, we had to build a cannon of our own. Needless to say, if we could get it to fit down the 10' barrel, we launched it at something.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seriously --

Dirt bank behind the house with a .458 Lott, just to remind me that I'm alive and own a big bore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
My old computer with a .600Ok! It died Hard!-Rob

Video?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A computer montior with a dead salmon out of a 3" air cannon.

PWS, I declare you the winner, that one is going to be hard to top! jumping

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jpk,
I am also a successful chronograph hunter. They are sly and just sneak up on you sometimes. I winged it with a 50-110 revolver. My little brother finished it off later that day with a 700 AHR that was shot rather casually.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gibs
posted Hide Post
.729 V's Wasp.
BOOM
What Wasp!

I hate lttle crawly things with 6 legs or more, worse if it flys!

Posts: 110 | Location: Australia | Registered: 29 November 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have shot armadillo with my .454 Casull......oh, and a chipmunk with my .475 Linebaugh..... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use to drive flies on targets at 100 yrds with my 17-223. It was easier on the targets than to shoot the thumb tacks off the corners.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Prairie dogs with .375 H&H & 10 ga shotgun. Either one makes a big splat.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A bloated, swollen dead cow with a 550 Mag. You know what peer pressure can make ya do....

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a garden across the creek from my shooting range. Three years ago a groundhog was devestating my beans. One day as I prepared to shoot my .416 Rigby with 370 grain North Fork flat head solids, mr. groundhog choose the wrong time to appear. I snuck up within 20 yards and blasted him through the chest. Until this day that was one of my proudest trophies. Since I have used my Ten Gauge goose gun with #2 Hevi shot to keep them at bay enough that I get most of my garden produce. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poachers dog in Zim with a 458 Lott.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
A Chevy van with my 404 Jeff, Swift A Frames went thru both doors and both sides. We shot some Woodleigh solids into the engine but did not look for penetration. Buddy owns a body shop and this one was going to the scrap yard.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took out the engine block of an old car with a 44 caliber MC bullet fired from an AutoMag pistol. Did work ... just silly.

Most of the other really silly stuff has been with medium bores ... lengthwise penetration of a car with a .357 AutoMag ... single round destruction of a tripod holding the chrono with an open bolt M60 ... TV set at 500 yards with several bolt rifles.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Shot a 55 Buick through the radiator and into the block (on blocks) with a pre-64 M70 in 375 H&H in 1977 at a benefit in Seely Lake Montana. We had the usual bake sale, etc, but the "Shoot The Buick" for a dollar (bring your own gun and ammo) was the big money maker. It was my first big bore shot, using a friends rifle he got from his father. Open sights only, he used it for deer and elk hunting lol ...

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The ground when I missed Confused

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
A Rambler , an old Rambler that was abandoned on the Lake Louise road in 87 . I don,t know when it was abandoned , prolly 10 or 20 years earlier ..
I found out that a 500 A-Square 600 gr Dead Tough factory load will go thru the body / fender ,thru the engine and shear off a con rod inside ,then smash the shock hanger off the other side of the vehicle and keep going !!!!. I think it was like a 66 Rambler ..It was made of steel .........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
A skunk one time with a warm load out of a Marlin Model 95 45-70 using 300 grain Hornady HollowPoints.

I hit the skunk running at about 25 yards, square in the ass.

Biggest chunk I found was a little over half of its tail.

Javelina with 350 grain Hornady Roundnose out of my CZ550 in 458 Win Mag.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
golf ball with a 50 BMG?
Raccoon with a 416 AR?
pint water jug with a 550 express?
"the bullet bomb" with a 550 express+hawk bullet

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
A bloated, swollen dead cow with a 550 Mag. You know what peer pressure can make ya do....

LMAO

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:

LMAO

SSC: secret society chuckle...

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Alligator gar from high river bank, Lott.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
does hogkiller's coke-can cannon count????.... we could hit the tree-line about 300 yds away.... BOOM

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote