THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What's the most ridiculous thing you have ever shot with a big bore?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the most ridiculous thing you have ever shot with a big bore? Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the most ridiculous thing you have ever shot with a big bore?

Fox Squirrel with a .357 Mag shotshell at ten feet - backstopped by the oak tree said varmint was climbing ... hilbily

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
THESE ARE MY POSTS FROM THE WBY FORUM. KILL 'EM WITH THE BIG ONES POST.

Well, Hope these qualify.

416 WBY

[COLOR="Red"]Ever get bored shooting at speed goats with regular (God's Chosen) cartridges? I did...again... so my 10 year old son Stephan wanted me to use the 416 WBY Mag for my third antelope tag, a doe tag. I was planning to use my 30-06 with 150 BT's but I said sure why not? Being a Crazy Greek explains it! lol
So my buddy Ray, Stephan and I headed west of Laramie Wyoming.
We located a mature doe 313 yards away. By the time I got set up for the shot she was 363 yards away. My 416 was stoked with BARNES X 300 grain with a stiff charge of H4350. Velocity at the muzzle is 3125 all day long as are the 1/2" groups at 100 yards.
I took the shot and the doe took off at a dead run. You can imagine my surprise! She ran 136 yards and dropped.
Upon closer examination turns out I hit her a little lower than I wanted. This is my fault due to the difference from 313 yards (initial reading) to 363 (when she stopped). Either way that 300 Barnes X did the job and beyond. Heart/lung--JELLO. Blood looked like it had been layed out with a pale!

Overall a great hunt!

PS: THE "BEE" STINGS!
entrance wound immediately behind front left leg

exit behind right leg far side---what a hole!

Doe --notice blood in backround!!

Stephan and I---Gorgeous Classicmark II

Ray and Stephan---Gorgeous Classicmark II

[/COLOR]

Another...

Well, after getting my order of .416 330gr HV bullets to Cheyenne WY in less than 2 weeks, all I had to do was work up the load and shoot the bullets. I tried 3 different loads and got less than 1.2" at 100 yds with 2 loads and the third load yielded the following results: 120 gr of RL 19 = 3080 fps and under .7" Thanx for making an awesome product.

The Hunt...

Great day yesterday. One buck and two does in the bag. Conditions were not that great. In fact it was very, very windy. I went out with my buddy Ray and my boy Stephan.

First doe fell to the 416 WBY (Heck it is a new gun with no "blood" on it and I could not wait to get to Africa in order to shoot it).
Shot was taken at 452 yds. Right behind the shoulder and out the other.

Second doe was at 277 yds. One spine hit and she was dead.

BTW... I am really impressed with the GS Custom performance. Even though antelope are small, frail creatures the 330 416 cal GS HV's expanded beautifully at those extended ranges as was evident by the interior trauma.

The Bullet

BTW you can add two BULL elk with the 378 WBY Mag. One in 1995 and one in 1996. I have a picture of the 1995 one only. Both were wel over 500 yards away.

Well here we go. Got this one in Shirley basin with my 416 Bee and 300 gr Barnes at 3125 fps. 225 yard shot.... Kind of tore him up.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Armadillo with a 460 Weatherby. All I got was an empty shell.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Guinne Fowl with a .505 Gibbs...."poofff" animal

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
6' Western Diamondback rattler with 400 grain Woodleigh Protected Point bullet at 2,255 fps out of a 458 Winchester.

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Just remembered,when I was a teen,I had a Ruger 77 in 458 Win and handloaded Hornady 300gr hp's(Flying ashtrays!) and with a 3-9 Redfield Accutrack with BDC(bullet drop compensator)that thing was dead on to about 200yds and would group 1/2-3/4" all day!...We used to ride the levees through the swamps in the outskirts on New Orleans.There would be a swamp on one side and a canal on the other.Floating logs would always have some big Turtles on them and Nutria also(a Big Muskrat)I would take them from the truck at longer ranges before they would spook.It was a fantastic sight to see that slug hit them turtles and pieces would fall from the air back into the water for 10 seconds or so,a very gruesome sight!Sometimes we would hit between the shell and it would seperate and go straight up whole like a UFO with "innards" still attached! Big Grin The the "Nutrias",if hit low on the marsh ground,the would catapult 20 feet in the air and that was a hoot!When hit properly,look like a hand grenade went off!! Eeker Well,got carried away,but that was the good ole days and I miss em! Getting Old Sucks! thumbdown

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That triggered another one for me too. We were snake hunting in a bayou near the greater Labadieville metropolis (Louisiana, if you didn't recognize the name) in a 10' john boat. I had my .22 and my 50 cal T/C Hawken. Four of us in the boat, IIRC plus their guns, ice chest, gas tank, first aid kit, life jackets and 5 HP buzz-buzz. The origin of "Low Rider".

I used to load 140 grains of BP in my Hawken when in the company of three other big men on a tiny boat in snake infested waters.

I shot a cotton mouth coiled on the bank at about 5 feet with the Hawken. The bullet either missed or grazed, I can't recall. But when the cloud drifted away the snake was belly-up with something close to 50 to 100 tiny holes with wisps of smoke coming from them, all over it's body. The other thing I think I remember is someone yelling "MY GAWD! DON"T DO THAT AGAIN!".

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turtle shells in orbit and fire breathing vipers, my oh my!
This thread is getting really interesting now! thumb
I once saw a duck shot on the wing (kerplop-kersplash) by a handgunner in a canoe that was under way, but the poacher shall remain nameless.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the poacher shall remain nameless

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yesterday I shot a woodchuck at 40 yards with my .458 Lott 350 Sierra @ 2800fps. It looked like a bomb went off! We walked over to the hole to check out the damage and well not much left.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Late response!

Dragonflies and wasps with 12ga 3.5" loads

Or

Browning Safari .458 Win Mag, 510gr Soft point vs Hog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2SsP7ThPHE

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
+1 on the late response! Lesse here

- Squirrel with a 375 RUM on a unsuccessful bear hunt in Kodiak. That was beautiful.
- Deer with my October Country 4 bore. It did make a clean 1" hole through and through, but it was a little Sitka blacktail, maybe 100lbs at most. I call it deer tipping!
- Duck in the head at 125 yards with a .375 weatherby, that was pure luck. Pure dumb luck.
- Multiple rabbits by my mischevious brother slipping slugs into my shotgun while I wasn't looking.
- Killed an animal I was not supposed to kill (and yes, I got written up) with a Mk19, 2 40mm HEDP grenades.

That's about it folks. Trying to think of others.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
550 express -- 7100 ft/lbs into a 12oz water bottle?

550 express into a bowling ball? (VERY underwhelming)

585 nyati into a boulder .. at 10 yards?

358 winchester - treerat at EXACTLY 200 yards...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338 WM pre 64 Alaskan- its great on rogue armadillos and if you hit a turtle just right you can pop him waaaaay up in the air. I reckonen factory 200 gr loads.
holycow

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Pigeons with a 460 Weatherby.

Please tell me it was on the wing! That would make you the man for sure!

John

Sadly, no.

But, I have shot doves and pigeons on the wing with both 22 rimfire rifles and center fire rifles.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
338 WM pre 64 Alaskan- its great on rogue armadillos and if you hit a turtle just right you can pop him waaaaay up in the air. I reckonen factory 200 gr loads.
holycow

lol

I've shot some Jackrabbits with my .338 win mag and 200gr Ballistic Tips. Definately something entertaining to do before you die.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Zim poachers dog with my 416 Rigby.

It was just a pile of stuff after the shot......the Rigby just messed it all up.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Head-shooting Francolin with a .375 H&H.

A Studebaker with a .44 Mag, but there was Tequila involved. At least the Statute of Limitations has expired on that one....... dancing

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
This is a me in Idaho a few decades back with Super Rare "Skeletal in the Closet Beast" Eeker...I nailed it with my trusty Super Slayer 416 Weatherby! animal

One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Baboon with 416 Rigby...
400 grain TSX and over 100 paces...
Suprised the exit wound wasn't bigger..

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
On my first trip to the Okavango Delta I brought along some pure lead paper patched cartridges for my .470NE. one day after hunting hard with little to show for it we returned to camp to learn a Big troop of Babooons had just taken up residence. Terry Palmer my PH was dying to see what those lead blobs would do. I located the leader of the troop and took aim at his head about 40 yards away while he was sitting on a big log getting ready to chuck some crap balls our way. the bullet took him in the snout and pretty much blew his brains over about six females and young males behind him. the troop started screaming and jumping around and finally went up into the trees above us. Terry and I then took turns decimating them. Literally rained Baboons! I think we killed over 15 of them till they deceided our camp was no more fun for them.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rob
120# doe+585 nyati?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Listening to those funny people who think a 375 is too puny to kill anything big with.

I hereby state that I have killed several hundred buffalo with a 375 + dozens of elephants + a few lions too jumping

Talk about living dangerously! sofa

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Listening to those funny people who think a 375 is too puny to kill anything big with.

I hereby state that I have killed several hundred buffalo with a 375 + dozens of elephants + a few lions too jumping

Friend that just moved to NZ took some as a game officer with lesser calibers. My first trip to Africa, when the outfitter met me at the airport and saw I had a three seven five and a .45-70, he SMILED. Killed a lot of stuff with it.

But on the tangent of this thread...old friend from decades ago in school has a familial property that is being over-run by nutria.

.458 Lott or .577?

We're gonna go do pest control sometime soon.

Both?

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Pumpkin, washing machine (concrete counterbalanced drum), toaser oven and oh yeah - sparrow all with 600 Overkill. Video of pumpkin was posted here on AR some time ago. Pieces are still in orbit.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
My chronograph.

yuck

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 1 gallon can of dried out (consistency of modeling clay) auto primer paint with a 500 A2. Rained smelly junks of paint and can over a 30' radius (quite the mess).

Killed my last chrony with a measely little 6.8 SPC.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a Rockchuck (groundhog to you east of the Mighty Miss) early this morning with a 1014gr cast lead bullet (1900+/-fps) out of my 577 BME that weighed about six pounds. It did kill him. but there was not much expansion.

Clean, one-shot kill...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a plastic snowman with a 500 S&W Handi-Rifle. Rather unimpressed, thin plastic is not hard to penetrate lol. Same snowman met his maker by way of a 20g with bird shot though! Much bigger holes lol

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The first liar does not stand a chance against Saeed.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You dont need one of those 375 Homo and Homo ,Calibres all you need is a 6.5 Carcano, i read about a bloke who shot 500 Buffalo with one and military ammo, and never complained about it, besides ,you can get a Carcano for about 200 bucks,why waste your money on fancy wanker guns rotflmo

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, when I was young and not too bright!

We found an unexploded bomb at a disused air bombing range.

We had a 223 rifle, and we thought we will try to blow it up.

WE sat it up, and went back about 150 yards, and hid behind a large rock boulder.

I fired several shots at it, and to our great disappointment, nothing happened!

And not to be discouraged, I told everyone that I had an "elephant" gun. A 375H&H, and I would drive home - about 20 miles away, and bring it to blow up that bomb.

I went and got the 375, loaded it with Winchester 300 grain FMJ bullets. We got the bomb closer, to about 100 yards, hid behind the boulder, and fired a shot at it.

Black smoke started coming out of the bomb, but there was no explosion.

It could have been just a smoke bomb.

We have a failed hard disk here, and we are planning to shoot it with our 700 Nitro Express rifle.

I will video the excution of this hard disk, and posted for your enjoyment.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Doe pronghorn
+
.416 Rem mag.

=

BANG/FLOP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
You dont need one of those 375 Homo and Homo ,Calibres all you need is a 6.5 Carcano, i read about a bloke who shot 500 Buffalo with one and military ammo, and never complained about it, besides ,you can get a Carcano for about 200 bucks,why waste your money on fancy wanker guns rotflmo

I paid 15 USA-ian bucks at the pawn shop for my 6.5 Carcano and 30 bucks for the 7.35 Carcano.

You Aussies are getting ROBBED!

(Admittedly, it might have been a while back I bought them. Black and White TeeVee and had to walk to school in the snow uphill both ways, back then...)

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many years ago, when I was young and not too bright!

We found an unexploded bomb at a disused air bombing range.

We had a 223 rifle, and we thought we will try to blow it up.

WE sat it up, and went back about 150 yards, and hid behind a large rock boulder.

I fired several shots at it, and to our great disappointment, nothing happened!

And not to be discouraged, I told everyone that I had an "elephant" gun. A 375H&H, and I would drive home - about 20 miles away, and bring it to blow up that bomb.

I went and got the 375, loaded it with Winchester 300 grain FMJ bullets. We got the bomb closer, to about 100 yards, hid behind the boulder, and fired a shot at it.

Black smoke started coming out of the bomb, but there was no explosion.

NOW THATS FUNNY !! The things you do when your young. Not only did you disturb unexploded ordinance (and cheat death) you went one step further and shot at it! LOL,Its no wonder you hunt cape buffalo like most people hunt squirrels!

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I use a Ruger No. 1 in 450 NE as a grounghog gun, it has accounted for 6 so far.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Armadillo w/a 500 NE, busted him in the tailpipe and hulled that sucker.
Big wood boring bee w/a 12 ga; damn thing kept dive bombing @ me while shootin skeet, couldn't resist.

Administrator
posted Hide Post

We just killed a Samsung hard disk that was giving us trouble, using our 700 Nitro Express.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used mt 458AccRl to shoot a starling(small GPT bird)60yds nothing but fluff Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
You are saying you did that on purpose?
Good one!!! clap
That is a Walter shirt and a Walter manicure in those photos.
Walter didn't help kill the electronics?
Did Walter cause the need for execution of the electronics?

Reminds me of when my Pro-Chrono took a 12 Gauge From Hell load.

Has Walter been doing anymore checking to see if the air rifles are loaded by putting his thumb or finger tip over the muzzle and pulling the trigger?

I finally got a new Oehler Model 35P last week.
I will keep shotguns away from it.
Luckily Walter will not have a chance at it either.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote